The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-03-2018, 01:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I think she is clearly demonstrating that. (Her hat at Christmas is forever, eternally, burned into my brain for just that reason. ). Maybe it's just the posting here on TRF which can be pretty demanding regarding particular fashion choices being adhered to that I am reacting to (and don't conflate my views with Meghan's views whose thoughts on any matter fashion-wise or royal-wise I know naught of).

For a variety of reasons I have been looking over the fashion choices of a recent very popular British princess (no longer with us) and I am struck by the extremely tight, figure-hugging clothes she wore, that included short skirts and revealing sitting poses, etc.. This princess is hailed as a paragon of fashion and class, yet the deliberate sexuality and emphasis on allure for the camera that caused her to be the center of attraction at any event, is never negatively critiqued. Any current princess gets soundly condemned for skirt length, lack of modesty, not being glossy enough, you name it. I see the current crop of royal princesses as adhering to a far more business-like (albeit well groomed and hopefully elegant) presentation. To me that's all to the good. But this hearkening back to other royal ladies who strove to splash themselves across the next day's tabloid headlines seems to me mis-directed.

I like to see someone doing an event with clothes that likely just came out of their closet. Why not? I have come to question why all events must be a fashion show. I am all eyes when it's a glam event. (I adore the Danish New Year's parade of ball gowns and jewels). But daily events should be low-key and accessible, and should be about the people and the event, not the visiting royal (the royal already has a center stage position by their very nature). Anything else is just too much, I think. JMO.

The last bit is such a good point. I know many of us look forward to what the royal ladies wear. The glamour, the tiaras, the gowns are all great and part of the appeal of royalty. So I don't want to downplay that. But it is quite interesting to see so many reminders of how royals aren't celebrities, that it's about the work and not bringing attention to oneself. But then we spend so much time critiquing and analyzing what royal women wear, as if their primary job is to satisfy or entertain us. Again, I freely admit that whenever an engagement is announced, I look forward to seeing what Meghan will wear. But I try not to project my own personal desires on to her or have any expectation that she fit a certain royal mold. In fact, one of the things I really like about Meghan is that she does wear a lot of accessible, relatable pieces. And I do think her minimalistic style really suits some of the more casual events. But when the time comes for her to attend a real formal event, I will expect more from her. For now though, I think her style is fine. I really have no major complaints.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:39 AM
Aristocracy

A few recent articles on Meghan's style that I thought were interesting reads. Apologies if they've been posted already.

The Times plays detective trying to figure out how Meghan is procuring the looks for her engagements. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/w...ters-hbtk66t3l

The Guardian gives their thoughts on Meghan's version of sartorial diplomacy. (I'm definitely adding sartorial diplomacy to my royal wedding buzzword bingo. ) Some interesting theories though I disagree with the idea that her penchant for wearing black has anything to do with the MeToo movement or Times Up. https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/...reads-the-room

From a couple week's ago, The Daily Beast talks about her ability to pull off aspirational yet relatable fashion. https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-pl...-meghan-markle

Old 02-03-2018, 06:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post

I like to see someone doing an event with clothes that likely just came out of their closet. Why not? I have come to question why all events must be a fashion show. I am all eyes when it's a glam event. (I adore the Danish New Year's parade of ball gowns and jewels). But daily events should be low-key and accessible, and should be about the people and the event, not the visiting royal (the royal already has a center stage position by their very nature). Anything else is just too much, I think. JMO.

I'll say what some may be reluctant to admit.
Those daily events you refer to, worthy and admirable though they may be, are ...well, boring to read about!

Visiting an airbase in Norfolk, or a school in Exeter, or a lunch in honor of the Royal Society of Widgets or whatever, will not arouse much interest.

So it becomes all about the fashion (which coincidently draws attention to the cause).
Old 02-03-2018, 07:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

To those fans of Ms Markle who seem to think there are but two extremes - 'Hollywood' and 'office-wallah', I urge you to consider the MASSIVE spectrum, [and choices] that lie between them..

It is more than possible to be elegant/low key/individualistic and yet 'special' enough to fulfill the expectations of the public that, as QEQM memorably said- [I paraphrase]

'They wear their best to meet me, so I do the same in return' ?

Is that too much to ask in return for a life of PROFOUND privilege ?
Old 02-03-2018, 08:15 AM
Majesty

I don't know...maybe the younger crowd doesn't care about dressing up. I mean you just have to work with the public to see what folks think is acceptable. When I was working in banking I saw women come in wearing pajamas and house shoes. That's not even the worst of it.

LaRae
Old 02-03-2018, 11:03 AM
Nobility

Still, I am not sure what some people are expecting from her. As long as the ladies wear something appropriate, I don't mind (if it is extremely ugly that will be another story). And I think the crowd come to see her rather than her dress......
Old 02-03-2018, 11:13 AM
Majesty

Don't kid yourself. Folks come to see what she is wearing too.

LaRae
Old 02-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Nobility

No, my point is they may want to see what she wear, but not come to see her only because of that. They won't think it is a unworthy experience just because she wears something ugly/boring/terrible/etc. Sorry for misleading.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:16 PM
Serene Highness

Pictures should suffice to see what a royal lady is wearing. I am quite sure people come to see the royal herself. A really nice outfit is pf course a big plus but they we've seen her either way.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think people who have lined up for hours to see royals deserve a bit of bling and style
Old 02-03-2018, 04:27 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Meghan seems like she's going to be "damned if does and damned if she doesn't". I can see both sides of the argument but I largely agree with Somebody on this matter - I think most people are so caught up on the fact that they are seeing the royal themselves that they generally don't really pay attention to what they are wearing. And, as Somebody said; of course, a nice outfit is a bonus.

Whilst I do think the suit isn't exciting and feels like it's something one would wear to an office meeting; it's nice nevertheless.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-03-2018, 04:33 PM
Majesty

I have to admit I am enjoying the 'surprise' of what Meghan chooses to wear. It seems to be a combination of what's in her wardrobe, what she needs and her own personal style. Added to that are the "firsts" such as the first hat at Christmas.

I watched a programme that really slated her for carrying a handbag instead of a clutch . . . major faux pas they declared. I wondered if they had ever watched our very own Queen who uses a handbag daily and has done all her life. Personally, I loathe the "figleaf pose", whereby the hands are invariably both holding a clutch as a figurative figleaf and it looks both uncomfortable and awkward not to mention fodder for the less high minded. Fortunately, it doesn't look as bad with a handbag?

The Times had an op-ed about how Meghan is sourcing her separates? How does she even know about them? A factory trying to revive the denim trade in Wales, she wore their black jeans and they received 20 times the orders and didn't know what was happening. Same with the little green handbag (I want it) from a company who supports vaccines for international aid agencies. Sold out and they didn't know why. KP's only statement was that members of the BRF do not accept commercial gifts and all clothes and accessories are purchased. It's driving journalists and fashion commentators demented. See, everything has an upside!

Regardless, I am pleased to see that Meghan appears to be staying true to herself and Harry is making no attempt to squish her into a mould as evidenced by her stunning Alexander McQueen tux. She hasn't broken any hard and fast rules although I am tempted to pronounce forever pushing her hair behind her ear as a no-no. An elegant hair accessory could help.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:58 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
To those fans of Ms Markle who seem to think there are but two extremes - 'Hollywood' and 'office-wallah', I urge you to consider the MASSIVE spectrum, [and choices] that lie between them..

It is more than possible to be elegant/low key/individualistic and yet 'special' enough to fulfill the expectations of the public that, as QEQM memorably said- [I paraphrase]

I think the point is that what one considers Hollywood, boring, elegant, etc. is simply a matter of opinion. We aren't all ever going to agree on what is or looks best. So really, Meghan should just continue to dress with her own style preferences in mind.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
I think the point is that what one considers Hollywood, boring, elegant, etc. is simply a matter of opinion. We aren't all ever going to agree on what is or looks best. So really, Meghan should just continue to dress with her own style preferences in mind.
Totally agree. She needs to be true to what pleases her. She seems to have good instincts anyway. In any case, she will bring a new spin to what is considered 'acceptable'. She shouldn't be abiding by Princess Grace's standards, for example. Different time. Or even Catherine's. Different person, and when she does a compromise, it's jarring (like she did once so far).
Old 02-04-2018, 03:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post

See the problem is that she is

Meghan is dressed up. She is what a 36 year old woman with an interest in clothes and style, would wear for an evening out.

What a woman in her 90's sees as 'dressing up' or a woman in her 70s, 60s or 50s even like the older royal women are going to be different. The shock to the system is the only 30 something royal we have had in the past decade is a woman who clings to a vintage look and honestly could share clothes with Sophie.

The people who come out to see royals like Harry and Meghan, are going to be younger. The people who look and care about fashion.

Well we all get inspiration. If you want to watch the vintage/50's house look you can watch Kate. If you have a more modern sleek aesthetic, you now have Meghan. Nice mix.

Meghan is never going to please everyone, she should please herself. As long as she is appropriate that is all that matters.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Meghan seems like she's going to be "damned if does and damned if she doesn't". I can see both sides of the argument but I largely agree with Somebody on this matter - I think most people are so caught up on the fact that they are seeing the royal themselves that they generally don't really pay attention to what they are wearing. And, as Somebody said; of course, a nice outfit is a bonus.

Whilst I do think the suit isn't exciting and feels like it's something one would wear to an office meeting; it's nice nevertheless.
like all royals ... she is not the only and not the first nor be the last.
please don't feel i am criticising you're post but i notice alot try to show her as victim that she is attcked no matter what wich is not true in my opinion;like all the royals in spotlight she will not please everyone that's all nothing personel.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:55 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al khansae View Post
please don't feel i am criticising you're post but i notice alot try to show her as victim that she is attcked no matter what wich is not true in my opinion;like all the royals in spotlight she will not please everyone that's all nothing personel.
I wasn't trying to portray her as the victim, I was just stating an unfortunate fact. Fashion is not normally personal and as a regular contributor to the fashion forums I'm aware of that. I just wanted to add my thoughts to the discussion.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-04-2018, 05:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al khansae View Post
^^ Let's face it. Meghan Markle is a very stylish and classy young lady who generally always gets it right and looks fabulous no matter what she's wearing. Meghan has got more to her than meets the eye too, and that's saying something because she's gorgeous!

Of course, there will always be criticisms of high profile royals, in the British royal family especially. Meghan is the newest member marrying into the family (Eugenie's fiance has been around for awhile, despite only officially marrying into the family later this year). Meghan brings class, sartorial sass, a bit of ethnic dash, and a breath of fresh air with her into the ancient hallways and mores of the British royals. It's quite lovely and fascinating to witness.

Whether or not Meghan 'pleases everyone,' she is more than pleasing to everyone who actually matters within her sphere of influence! Plus, she's appreciated and admired by plenty more among the masses of people who bear her goodwill. Even people who admire Meghan aren't going to like everything she chooses to wear 100% of the time. That's the fun thing about watching fashionable ladies strut their stuff.

Personally, I'm surprised at all the dark colors, but at the same time, I also understand that Meghan enjoys wearing a simple palette. The other thing too is that we only have a handful of royal engagements she's attended so far to go by, and that's simply too few to be making OTT judgments. I think our expectations are overly high right now and unreasonable for the most part. Once I realized what the Endeavour event was about, what Meghan wore seems very on point. She was NOT looking to take any undue attention away from the award participants. Plus, as someone already mentioned, Kate was in Norway wearing a gorgeous evening gown. It's kinda cool that Meghan and Kate were both wearing Alexander McQueen in totally different venues and for completely different occasions. Meghan could have worn a pantsuit in a color like burgundy, but black is generally always in style and the cut of that tux is fabulous. It worked well with what Harry was wearing too. I think the styling of the tux is unexpected, but the actual wearing of pants with a blazer was not surprising to fashion observers who know Meghan and who knew what the casual dress code was for the event.

Right now, Meghan isn't too concerned it seems with breaking new ground through what she wears. She's following her own instincts and her own sense of style and what works for her with a bit of understated edge. She's always been appropriate to the occasion, nicely groomed and stylish. It strikes me that Meghan is not trying to stand out with what she's wearing -- she is doing some 'statement' dressing in terms of wearing British designers and promoting socially conscious products. Since all eyes are going to be on Meghan anyway during her public engagements, she has no need to be flashy or call extra attention to herself. That's not her aim in any case. We will certainly see Meghan evolve and grow in her roles as a royal lady, a helpmate, a mother, and a fashionista. She's not married yet, so let's relax and enjoy, if that's possible.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:48 PM
Courtier

I would have liked a little pop of color in the last outfit but you know what, Megan looked in the mirror and was happy with what she saw and that's what counts. I hope she always stays true to herself!
Old 02-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:

It's almost like you're saying she should be so grateful to be in this position that she dresses in a way you approve?

It's not like she's dressing in a burlap sack. And her outfits have been uber stylish (trust me) and very much on trend - AND she's bringing attention and money to British brands that support great causes.

I feel like she gets and understands the importance of her role and position better than some of us do.

Also - if she never wears bright jewel tones and colors I will be fine with that because she's sticking to her style. She has worn color in the past, but it's usually done very deliberately. I hope she sticks to that. Sometimes some of the BRF wears colors and it just ends up looking very 80s Middle America and I can't stand that kind of PTA mom style of dressing. It's like Talbots vomited on the BRF. The only exception to this is HMQ - she gets it right because she goes all in. The rest - nope.

I think we will see more color on Meghan - but it will be strategic. The base of her wardrobe will probably always read neutral. I love that - it's so much easier to mix and match that way.

Her dress right now actually reminds me of the time leading up to joining my sorority... because it was frowned upon to wear the colors of any sorority, I ended up in a lot of blacks, navy blues, taupe, beige, camel, etc.. and other neutrals. You're meant to be discreet and not call too much attention to yourself with your clothes. You're supposed to look nice and put together, but not flashy. But of course everyone knew that this was the uniform of anyone interested in two particular sororities on campus so they knew anyway,

But this "discreet" mindset kind of matches what she might be thinking about the tour of the UK since she's not officially a royal yet.