Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOVE THIS. I really think this was a great, sleek look.

I was prepared not to like it after some of the negative comments - but I clicked on it and really liked that suit!! This event seemed super casual - going too evening would have been too much. She was onstage presenting with a guy in khakis and a polo shirt - jazzing her outfit up too much with brooches and dazzling earrings would have made her look out of place. She'd have been accused of being too Hollywood.

It's funny though - some who accused her of being too Hollywood are now saying she's boring. That's hilarious, lol. She can't win with some.

That McQueen Suit though - SO chic. SO SO chic. I'm glad I saw the better pics first - that is a really nice suit. Perfect with the heels (manolos or choos?).

I get some of the disappointment - the event had folks hoping for a gown or dress since it's an "awards show" but it's clearly not that kind of awards show - it's very casual. I think she struck the perfect tone.

I'm glad she's sticking to her guns and doing things her way. The fact that she's in pants makes this outfit not boring to me - for an almost royal the outfit is almost scandalous.

I'm definitely going to add a tux suit to my wardrobe - been meaning to do it but this cinches it. Great look.

Jimmy Choo's.

LaRae

The negative comments I've seen (most of them) are not due to the suit itself. Just the lack of color and/or accessories to give it some umph.

I think the suit looks nice on her. I just find it underwhelming. If she had added some color or a nice earring/necklace/brooch it would of elevated it past office wear.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
for an almost royal the outfit is almost scandalous

However keen as you seem for her to be 'scandalous', as another poster has outlined above, British Royal Women have been wearing trousers at official events for quite some time, particularly the Countess of Wessex.

Ms Markle is making no 'waves' with clothing such as this...

Last edited by a moderator:
A perfect occasion for a dress..pitty
the suit isn't bad but again it's safe choice therefore in Meghan case boring and dull ,also i think the lenght of the pants could be 2 inch longer the white blouse is not the right choice too.hair and make up are perfect.

I love the outfit! She looks great.

I was prepared not to like it after some of the negative comments - but I clicked on it and really liked that suit!! This event seemed super casual - going too evening would have been too much. She was onstage presenting with a guy in khakis and a polo shirt - jazzing her outfit up too much with brooches and dazzling earrings would have made her look out of place. She'd have been accused of being too Hollywood.

Agree. :flowers: I am wondering if Meghan will ever start wearing those very 'British' dresses that BRF women tend to wear? It's a style that I don't think suits Meghan, but if she starts wearing them (especially the flowery ones) we will know for certain that she has become 'one of them'. ? ;) Gone over to 'the other side'. :cool:

I'm sure she will wear gowns and glam up nicely, but at daily events I hope along with FashionMaven that she never compromise her style sense for the sake of adhering to some 'royal way' of dressing.

I'm glad she's sticking to her guns and doing things her way. The fact that she's in pants makes this outfit not boring to me - for an almost royal the outfit is almost scandalous.

Gone over to 'the other side'

If she, [like you] regards us in that manner, her popularity will be VERY shortlived, I hope she is rather more sensible than that...

Last edited:
Is she, [like you] regards us in that manner, her popularity will be VERY shortlived, I hope she is rather more sensible than that...

Have I offended? :huh: Was making a joke while I was also making a point. ;) I confess that I have a personal reaction when claims are made that there is an 'appropriate way' of dressing as a 'royal'. My American eyes water, or is it my adolescent rebellion residue. It's true.

If her popularity winds up being keyed to her fashion choices and not the brilliance of who she is and what she brings as a considerable personality in her own right, I would counsel her to ignore the disapproval. Not worth her attention. I do not wish to see Meghan become too subservient, especially to the tabloid press and popular opinion. Respect and subservience are two different things. My concern is that her spirit gets broken, though she is a Leo, and that counts for a lot. She should have the inner resources to prevail. :flowers:

Last edited:
My concern is that her spirit gets broken

No-one desires that, but when one leaves a tribe, and join another surely it is only prudent to 'have a care' for the differences of mores and habits between them.

Last edited:
I have no idea what "British flowery dresses" are even being discussed. Like Eugenie 's engagement dress? I personally haven't been impressed with anything Meghan has worn since her engagement but I am not going to hate; she is not here to be my personal Barbie. I'd rather watch boring fashion from a royal rather than fashion disasters. I think if she had dressed like it's an award show she'd get criticized as being too Hollywood.

After the hew and cry over the R&R engagement photo dress, I'll take boring (if you say so), professional wear all day. Be careful what you wish for.

I like the emphasis on Meghan and Harry as working royals. Save the fashion show for when it's warranted.

Exactly! The same people who can't wait to criticize her with accusations of being too Hollywood are now saying she's too boring! Well....you didn't want the Hollywood or 'actress style dressing'.. so now Meghan is dressing like a professional working woman instead!! Take that!!!

Yes, it's amazing how she went from "too Hollywood" to "boring" in no time! :lol: Really just emphasizes how some will complain no matter what so she should ultimately just wear what she likes. I think that's what she's doing and I hope she keeps it up.

Exactly! The same people who can't wait to criticize her with accusations of being too Hollywood are now saying she's too boring! Well....you didn't want the Hollywood or 'actress style dressing'.. so now Meghan is dressing like a professional working woman instead!! Take that!!!

Not exactly. I’ve never said Meghan dresses Hollywood.

I said the outfit was boring. It was a nice, classic, elegant look, and she looked good. But it looks exactly like what I see in the office, and in basic (or classic) black/white too, and from that POV, it wasn’t terribly interesting. Particular since this was an evening event- not a daytime one- albeit apparently a fairly casual one. Maybe if it had been daytime, my gut reaction would have been different. It’s a nice professional outfit. Or if we hadn’t seen neutrals already.

That being said- that’s okay. She looked appropriate to where she was. She should dress how she wants as long as it fits the occasion.

One of the better dressed royal women, in my opinion, is Queen Letizia, who often wears suits that could be described as "business chic". That's who Meghan somewhat reminded me of with her look last night. And if I had to choose a "royal look" I'd like Meghan to model hers after it would be Letizia's. She's not on Letizia's level yet but seeing as though she's not even an official member of the BRF yet, I don't expect her to be. She has plenty of time to refine her style.

i like her pantsuit minus the blouse she looks pretty in my opinion.

regarding her wardrobe since her engagement to Harry i think it's just fine clearly she is playing it safe there is nothing wrong about that she also not a princess yet i understand ppl who said she is boring we all here have a standars for princesses way of dressing we always expect sparkles and princrssy image however i said let's wait after thge marriage she have alot of to copy with she is very beautiful young woman i am sure she will be a plus for British royal family

No-one desires that, but when one leaves a tribe, and join another surely it is only prudent to 'have a care' for the differences of mores and habits between them.

I think she is clearly demonstrating that. (Her hat at Christmas is forever, eternally, burned into my brain for just that reason. ?). :flowers: Maybe it's just the posting here on TRF which can be pretty demanding regarding particular fashion choices being adhered to that I am reacting to (and don't conflate my views with Meghan's views whose thoughts on any matter fashion-wise or royal-wise I know naught of). ;)

For a variety of reasons I have been looking over the fashion choices of a recent very popular British princess (no longer with us) and I am struck by the extremely tight, figure-hugging clothes she wore, that included short skirts and revealing sitting poses, etc.. This princess is hailed as a paragon of fashion and class, yet the deliberate sexuality and emphasis on allure for the camera that caused her to be the center of attraction at any event, is never negatively critiqued. Any current princess gets soundly condemned for skirt length, lack of modesty, not being glossy enough, you name it. I see the current crop of royal princesses as adhering to a far more business-like (albeit well groomed and hopefully elegant) presentation. To me that's all to the good. But this hearkening back to other royal ladies who strove to splash themselves across the next day's tabloid headlines seems to me mis-directed.

I like to see someone doing an event with clothes that likely just came out of their closet. Why not? I have come to question why all events must be a fashion show. I am all eyes when it's a glam event. (I adore the Danish New Year's parade of ball gowns and jewels). But daily events should be low-key and accessible, and should be about the people and the event, not the visiting royal (the royal already has a center stage position by their very nature). Anything else is just too much, I think. JMO.

This is a fashion thread I for one are discussing fashion it’s not personal about Meghan it’s what she wears. I’m looking forward to hopefully seeing just a bit of color and bling nothing as way out as her engagement evening gown.

I think she is clearly demonstrating that. (Her hat at Christmas is forever, eternally, burned into my brain for just that reason. ?). :flowers: Maybe it's just the posting here on TRF which can be pretty demanding regarding particular fashion choices being adhered to that I am reacting to (and don't conflate my views with Meghan's views whose thoughts on any matter fashion-wise or royal-wise I know naught of). ;)

For a variety of reasons I have been looking over the fashion choices of a recent very popular British princess (no longer with us) and I am struck by the extremely tight, figure-hugging clothes she wore, that included short skirts and revealing sitting poses, etc.. This princess is hailed as a paragon of fashion and class, yet the deliberate sexuality and emphasis on allure for the camera that caused her to be the center of attraction at any event, is never negatively critiqued. Any current princess gets soundly condemned for skirt length, lack of modesty, not being glossy enough, you name it. I see the current crop of royal princesses as adhering to a far more business-like (albeit well groomed and hopefully elegant) presentation. To me that's all to the good. But this hearkening back to other royal ladies who strove to splash themselves across the next day's tabloid headlines seems to me mis-directed.

I like to see someone doing an event with clothes that likely just came out of their closet. Why not? I have come to question why all events must be a fashion show. I am all eyes when it's a glam event. (I adore the Danish New Year's parade of ball gowns and jewels). But daily events should be low-key and accessible, and should be about the people and the event, not the visiting royal (the royal already has a center stage position by their very nature). Anything else is just too much, I think. JMO.

The last bit is such a good point. I know many of us look forward to what the royal ladies wear. The glamour, the tiaras, the gowns are all great and part of the appeal of royalty. So I don't want to downplay that. But it is quite interesting to see so many reminders of how royals aren't celebrities, that it's about the work and not bringing attention to oneself. But then we spend so much time critiquing and analyzing what royal women wear, as if their primary job is to satisfy or entertain us. Again, I freely admit that whenever an engagement is announced, I look forward to seeing what Meghan will wear. But I try not to project my own personal desires on to her or have any expectation that she fit a certain royal mold. In fact, one of the things I really like about Meghan is that she does wear a lot of accessible, relatable pieces. And I do think her minimalistic style really suits some of the more casual events. But when the time comes for her to attend a real formal event, I will expect more from her. For now though, I think her style is fine. I really have no major complaints.

A few recent articles on Meghan's style that I thought were interesting reads. Apologies if they've been posted already.

The Times plays detective trying to figure out how Meghan is procuring the looks for her engagements. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/where-meghan-markle-buys-her-clothes-from-it-matters-hbtk66t3l

The Guardian gives their thoughts on Meghan's version of sartorial diplomacy. (I'm definitely adding sartorial diplomacy to my royal wedding buzzword bingo. :lol:) Some interesting theories though I disagree with the idea that her penchant for wearing black has anything to do with the MeToo movement or Times Up. https://www.theguardian.com/fashion...suits-how-meghan-markles-style-reads-the-room

From a couple week's ago, The Daily Beast talks about her ability to pull off aspirational yet relatable fashion. https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-planet-fashion-fell-in-love-with-meghan-markle

I'll say what some may be reluctant to admit.
Those daily events you refer to, worthy and admirable though they may be, are ...well, boring to read about!

Visiting an airbase in Norfolk, or a school in Exeter, or a lunch in honor of the Royal Society of Widgets or whatever, will not arouse much interest.

So it becomes all about the fashion (which coincidently draws attention to the cause). :flowers:

To those fans of Ms Markle who seem to think there are but two extremes - 'Hollywood' and 'office-wallah', I urge you to consider the MASSIVE spectrum, [and choices] that lie between them..

It is more than possible to be elegant/low key/individualistic and yet 'special' enough to fulfill the expectations of the public that, as QEQM memorably said- [I paraphrase]

'They wear their best to meet me, so I do the same in return' ?

Is that too much to ask in return for a life of PROFOUND privilege ?

Last edited:
I don't know...maybe the younger crowd doesn't care about dressing up. I mean you just have to work with the public to see what folks think is acceptable. When I was working in banking I saw women come in wearing pajamas and house shoes. That's not even the worst of it.

LaRae

Still, I am not sure what some people are expecting from her. As long as the ladies wear something appropriate, I don't mind (if it is extremely ugly that will be another story). And I think the crowd come to see her rather than her dress......:rolleyes:

Don't kid yourself. Folks come to see what she is wearing too.

LaRae

:previous:

No, my point is they may want to see what she wear, but not come to see her only because of that:). They won't think it is a unworthy experience just because she wears something ugly/boring/terrible/etc. Sorry for misleading.

Pictures should suffice to see what a royal lady is wearing. I am quite sure people come to see the royal herself. A really nice outfit is pf course a big plus but they we've seen her either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom