Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean like the Queen wears?

LaRae

As FashionMaven described, a silk or satin scarf protects the hair from damage and also keeps the style intact (especially after you've had a blowout).

In case you're interested, here's an article that explains it better:

https://www.xojane.com/beauty/hair/how-to-dry-wrap-hair-at-night

I meant to mention earlier that she also seems to just like her hair loose and free. I don't think there have been lots of photos of her when she is not on the set of suits with her hair super neat and tidy, and much of the time we've seen her outdoors, it's windy and her hair is blowing around.

Part of me also wonders whether she wears a satin scarf at night. :D

I can definitely see her wrapping her hair at night. ?

She does seem to prefer her hair loose. It will be interesting to see how she styles it during tiara events.

I'm thinking she meant more like the satin caps/scarves most black women wear to protect their/our hair from breakage while we sleep.

I have on one right now as I prepare for bed. :lol:

This is making me wonder if the bun is because Meghan needs a touch up or a fresh Keratin treatment? She might not want to damage it too much with constant flat ironing.

I'd love to see her try a relaxed ponytail with her hair wrapping the tie and a slight pompadour in the front.

Years ago I wore a tight curl courtesy of a perm (I used a hair pick and did the big afro hair now and then--hey it was the early 80's!)...seems like that was a concern from the chemicals they used, breaking the hair during the process. I'm guessing yours is a different reason?

I would LOVE to see Meghan with her hair back and into a ponytail...that would of looked so cute today!

LaRae

As FashionMaven described, a silk or satin scarf protects the hair from damage and also keeps the style intact (especially after you've had a blowout).

She does seem to prefer her hair loose. It will be interesting to see how she styles it during tiara events.

Cool...I had no idea! The only thing I ever saw done by my female relatives was back when you set your hair with curlers then wrapped it up to go to bed...this was pre curling iron!

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see Meghan's hair like she had it on this show. Still more relaxed than the blowouts with lots of volume.

Thanks Soapstar for the article—I didn’t know that. Much appreciated.

I also have my hair wrapped right now lol.

I think this was a decent look. I loved the Theory top but I also love that brand. I like that it was a little off shoulder too. I think this top with a slim waist belt would have been very nice. I also think the this type of top would have gone better with more wide-leg pants. As of right now, the look is kind of unbalanced because she is wide at the waist, but her legs looks very short from the front.

I like the idea of the Stella, and Meghan looks nice in it. But I don't like how she tied the belt.

Love the boots and the purse. Her purse game is A+. I like the nod to Wales with her pants although the style isn't a favorite.

This is a very Queen Letizia outfit, in all. I like that Meghan is wearing more neutral and professional clothing. A much more mature look than some of the DOCams looks I think.

The hair is...a problem just because it starts out nice, but looks a mess by the end. But up-dos frame her face well. She is just so beautiful.

Years ago I wore a tight curl courtesy of a perm (I used a hair pick and did the big afro hair now and then--hey it was the early 80's!)...seems like that was a concern from the chemicals they used, breaking the hair during the process. I'm guessing yours is a different reason?

I would LOVE to see Meghan with her hair back and into a ponytail...that would of looked so cute today!

LaRae

For black women who straighten their hair chemically, it's pretty much the same end effect. Just in reverse.

I wound up watching this and learned something! ;) The Neosporin hack (at 7:20) I'd never heard of that! Good to know!

I'd love to see Meghan's hair like she had it on this show. Still more relaxed than the blowouts with lots of volume.

I am tired of some people suddenly complain Kate would be criticized if she does what Meghan did blah blah blah blah blah and at the same time they keep nitpicking Meghan......okay I stop here.:flowers:

Just see the close-up of her earrings. Not a fans to the mismatched earrings (especially these are't intentional mismatched), but well, at least they are in same material and not big.

I laugh at the complaints about 'another wrap coat'. Seems they come from the same people who defend kate's 50+ coat dresses/coats as 'they are her style, what she is comfortable in, her uniform.....':lol:

True. Actually I don't mind the royal ladies keep wearing their "working uniform" as long as it's appropriate.

I don't know what some people expect to see from her, who's still just a fiancee in her pre-wedding period. Let her stick to her own style which she feels comfortable with. She will have so many chances to explore the royal fashion world after she becomes a duchess.

Meghan likes to wear clothes in a neutral palette. For now, that's how she's continuing. I agree with those who say her style is simple and chic. Meghan always adds interesting detail, like with the two different earrings that some fashion blogs picked up on, the pleated flair to her maxi skirt for the Nottingham visit, the wide pants legs and unique sleeves on the top she wore in Brixton.

Also, the slightly disheveled chignon that Meghan has worn for her last two outings is on purpose. She has said in previous fashion interviews that she adheres to having a pulled together and polished look with at least one thing that's slightly off (like the distressed jeans and tail of her white shirt hanging out at the Invictus Games; and her hair styled loosely for her last two public events while looking pulled together with her clothes, and wearing minimal makeup).

The green purse serves as the pop of color, although I was wondering if we might see Meghan wearing more color on this visit. Apparently not, but I do enjoy the Prince of Wales tweed blazer with the wide off-the shoulder neckline. That's stunning along with the fitted pants and the gorgeous boots. Also Meghan's nod to fashion that is socially conscious, i.e., the purse designer, and the Stella McCartney-designed coat (McCartney is outspoken on environmental concerns, and she's conscious of that challenge in how she designs clothes).

There's a lot of buzz about Meghan's style choices. As one observer said in the comments section of Meghan's Mirror fashion blog, "She's uniquely stylish and trendy, but in a tasteful way." ITA that Meghan combines casual ease with style and polish, similarly to the way Queen Letizia rocks her looks.

Meghan's Mirror blog chronicles Cardiff attire details:
http://meghansmirror.com/royal-engagement-style/meghan-and-harry-visit-cardiff/

Last edited:
I find Meghan most surprising. When it comes to hair if it's all over your face it distracts and annoys the hell out of me. Surprisingly Meghan's messy buns work well for her and it doesn't bother me.

I found the neutral palate interesting, liked the coat as it fitted across the shoulders, really liked the styling of the boat-necked jacket, pants and boots but I hated her black scarf. I know it's a radical thought but if she'd matched her scarf to that delightful handbag (I want one) she would have been called matchy-matchy, but I would have been totally charmed.

I look forward to being even more charmed and live in hopes of silk stockings.

Silk stockings? How would we even know if she was wearing them?

LaRae

... thought the hair looked quite messy. I noticed she kept pushing it back behind her ears throughout the visit, which was a little distracting.

I think we will be continuing to see this 'distraction.' ? From watching Meghan, it seems to me that constantly adjusting her hair is a mannerism or habit that might be difficult for her to break. No one's perfect, but if that's the worst of her flaws, more power to her. ;) As Curbside and FashionMaven were discussing, Meghan may have a need to protect her hair from the weather, or she's in-between treatments. As well, Meghan (as I mentioned a few times) likes to have one thing a bit off with a pulled together look. That's a fashion tip she's spoken of previously in an interview with Glamour, and it's also noted in this ET online article:

Meghan Markle's Royal Style Predictions: How the Actress Will Reinvent Princess Fashion | Entertainment Tonight

Per Meghan:
"I like monochromatic and tonal dressing, and I don't generally wear prints... I also love the French way of styling, where if your outfit is pulled together, then something's got to be disheveled -- your hair, your makeup...I like to look polished and put together, but for me there's always going to be that effortless quality just coming from LA."

That's Meghan in a nutshell, and we've been seeing her put these personal style rules into practice. She's being herself, and as has been said, we'll see how she evolves. As I think about what we've been seeing from Meghan: casual, understated but polished, upscale fashion in muted tones, with some trendy touches, I'll bet that one of the reasons why is because Meghan and Harry both want the focus to be on the people and places they are visiting, and not strictly on what Meghan is wearing. A few brighter colors and bolder choices will likely be seen on Meghan at some point for special occasions. Right now she probably is trying to keep the talk away from her clothes as much as possible. And knowing there will be some talk, she's chosen to promote British designers and charitable causes through what she wears. It all makes sense.

As FashionMaven described, a silk or satin scarf protects the hair from damage and also keeps the style intact (especially after you've had a blowout)... here's an article that explains it better:

Thanks for the article on hair wrapping. Meghan may wrap her hair at night on occasion, but I'll bet Harry likes her wearing it wild and loose at bedtime. ? Look at this teenage Meghan with her wild and crazy head full of thick, curly hair. She'll probably never wear it this way again. She has said how she longed for straight hair growing up. I would love to rock this style myself, so it's funny how we sometimes don't appreciate attributes in ourselves that others might covet. :lol:
http://ugc.reveliststatic.com/gen/constrain/640/640/80/2017/11/28/13/vs/oz/phjmd9x1ws2qbwe.jpg

It's fun to look back at some of Meghan's past fashion looks and hairstyles:

For the cover of Jumeirah travel magazine, this chic chignon is a glamorous style on Meghan: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...5U/OIM5fFjgTag/w530-h707-n/Cover-page-001.jpg Oooh, cool eyebrows!

Another pulled back look. Check closely and see the curly tangle at the nape of her neck around the hairline:
https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/...c1_GettyImages-159500309_master/i/Low-Bun.jpg

Meghan style tips:
Meghan Markle fashion tips - Fashion inspiration from Meghan Markle - Good Housekeeping

Style Tips from Suits Star Meghan Markle

More details on Cardiff trip and attire:
https://www.usmagazine.com/stylish/news/meghan-markels-plaid-theory-blazer-in-wales-details/

Last edited:
I really hope there isn't a fuss and backlash if Meghan decides to continue to favour straight haiir. I just detect a few observations here tending towards a view that she should embrace her natural hair. With regard to the damage she may be inflicting, perms and colours can cause significant damage if not tended and treated correctly. I have regularly coloured my hair for many years and it is still in good shape. Meghan likes her hair straight and knows how to keep it looking good.

I love her casual style and her Rachel Zane wardrobe on Suits.

Let’s see how she will develop her royal wardrobe. I’m looking forward to it!

Yeah she looks beautiful!

Thanks for the article on hair wrapping. Meghan may wrap her hair at night on occasion, but I'll bet Harry likes her wearing it wild and loose at bedtime. ? Look at this teenage Meghan with her wild and crazy head full of thick, curly hair. She'll probably never wear it this way again. She has said how she longed for straight hair growing up. I would love to rock this style myself, so it's funny how we sometimes don't appreciate attributes in ourselves that others might covet. :lol:
http://ugc.reveliststatic.com/gen/constrain/640/640/80/2017/11/28/13/vs/oz/phjmd9x1ws2qbwe.jpg

It's fun to look back at some of Meghan's past fashion looks and hairstyles:

For the cover of Jumeirah travel magazine, this chic chignon is a glamorous style on Meghan: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...5U/OIM5fFjgTag/w530-h707-n/Cover-page-001.jpg Oooh, cool eyebrows!

Another pulled back look. Check closely and see the curly tangle at the nape of her neck around the hairline:
https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/...c1_GettyImages-159500309_master/i/Low-Bun.jpg

Meghan style tips:
Meghan Markle fashion tips - Fashion inspiration from Meghan Markle - Good Housekeeping

Style Tips from Suits Star Meghan Markle

More details on Cardiff trip and attire:
https://www.usmagazine.com/stylish/news/meghan-markels-plaid-theory-blazer-in-wales-details/

The dilemma of many black women. Go to bed sans scarf to look good for your partner but you wake up with a rats nest of frizzy hair. There's also the issue of how soon in the relationship do you wear the scarf. I would be curious to know if Meghan went through the same.

I don't see Meghan wearing her hair curly anytime soon. I haven't seen a picture of her wearing it curly as an adult. Plus since Im guessing its permanently straightened she would have to cut all her hair off or transition to two different textures. Transition periods are rough and time consuming.

Honestly I've seen that said in the media but I don't think she wears extensions.

Larae

I really hope there isn't a fuss and backlash if Meghan decides to continue to favour straight haiir. I just detect a few observations here tending towards a view that she should embrace her natural hair. With regard to the damage she may be inflicting, perms and colours can cause significant damage if not tended and treated correctly. I have regularly coloured my hair for many years and it is still in good shape. Meghan likes her hair straight and knows how to keep it looking good.

I have a daughter who has hair like Meghan's, and I've always encouraged her to embrace her beautiful locks. Like it or not, Meghan is a role model and many people would love to see her embrace her natural hair.

If she ever wore her hair completely natural in public, the entire Internet would collectively lose their damned minds. :eek:

Personally, it makes me a little sad to see someone straighten their gorgeous curls. It does take upkeep, especially in damp climates like England. But, her straightened hair looks well-tended.

I am not attacking anyone so please don't take my response the wrong way!!!!!!

IMO, Meghan does not owe anybody anything in regards to how she choses to wear her hair. Her hair has been straight for almost her entire adult life and it seems that it will stay that way! It is entirely up to Meghan how she wishes to wear her own hair. Just because she is now a public figure does not give anyone the right to dictate what she should or should not to do with her own hair.

I am not attacking anyone so please don't take my response the wrong way!!!!!!

IMO, Meghan does not owe anybody anything in regards to how she choses to wear her hair. Her hair has been straight for almost her entire adult life and it seems that it will stay that way! It is entirely up to Meghan how she wishes to wear her own hair. Just because she is now a public figure does not give anyone the right to dictate what she should or should not to do with her own hair.

And to be clear, I'm not suggesting she should change her hairstyle to please anyone.

I love Meghan and believe she will do very well as a member of the BRF. I don't mind the messy bun at all.

However, just as a few years ago I didn't like the way Kate flicked her hair out of the way on engagements, I find myself looking at the loose long strands hanging over Meghan's face that she often tucks behind her ears when she is speaking to people, and wishing that the strands were pinned back. I guess I do find it distracting. I'm sure she'll get sick of constantly doing that herself and stop in the future, though.

I'm a colour person so I do hope Meghan finds a way of incorporating some Jewel colours into her wardrobe as Spring and Summer approach. I've enjoyed seeing something different with her though. I think it's refreshing.

Kind of a silly article but I agree Meghan should wear some colour and ditch the jeans. William Hanson is a snob.

A little trivia, he attended Clifton College, the same school as Michael Middleton.

William Hanson says Meghan must master royal fashion rules | Daily Mail Online

I don't understand the jeans issue? The younger generation have all worn jeans. The older generation don't really do it because they follow the older style of dressing, but it's more of a personal thing now than you have to type of thing.

And is that a picture of William Hanson? If so, yea, he shouldn't be dishing out fashion advice. ?

The jeans don't bother me at an appropriate type of event. I am hoping she will wear more color as she settles in.

LaRae

I've notice she usually wears more color in dresses rather than separate pieces. It'll be interesting once the weather gets warmer. I do feel like she takes practicality into consideration a lot more, which I can appreciate being a chicken about the cold myself (I live in my boots in the winter, and I do not give a fig).

We here can agree/disagree about style etc. but IMO Meghan has dressed appropriately at each event we’ve seen.

Those pants barely qualify as jeans. It's not like she's wearing acid-wash blue jeans.

She's been appropriate for every event she's done...I don't expect her to ever not be.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom