The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2017, 11:53 AM
Nobility

I do think she played things relatively safe. She's not yet a royal and likely didn't want to take away from them. As it is, most pictures with them in a group seem focused on her.

I'm not mad at her for the outfit - I really like it but I love caramel tones. Plus she also put on a clinic on how to do minimalist tone on tone style today. Love it for that part alone.

Wish I could see the dress though.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademoiselle Lilo View Post
I like the beige and brown combination,the coat is fine but looks big on her the hat is terrible,i think her overall look is fine however i still think she played too safe nothing wooooow and dazzling in her clothes choices not what i expect from Hollywood star.
Maybe that's the point. She has left the Hollywood/TV star behind and now is transitioning to being a member of the BRF. She is also not an official member of the family as yet.
I could well imagine the reaction if she has dressed like a Hollywood star and overshadowed everyone else! Some people got the vapours over the gown from the official engagement photos....They would have had heart attacks if she had turned up dressed too Hollywood!

Old 12-25-2017, 12:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
I do think she played things relatively safe. She's not yet a royal and likely didn't want to take away from them. As it is, most pictures with them in a group seem focused on her.

I'm not mad at her for the outfit - I really like it but I love caramel tones. Plus she also put on a clinic on how to do minimalist tone on tone style today. Love it for that part alone.

Wish I could see the dress though.
Relatively safe in the colors she chose? I can see that. But when it comes to her actual fashion, she's always gone for chic yet simple, even in her red carpet looks. That's one of the reasons I was surprised by her dress choice in the engagement photos. It was more daring than what she normally goes for.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
Hmmm...I don't know. I've seen a few videos now and I like the look even more in motion. Doesn't look too heavy or big. I've even come around a bit on the hat. It's a cute, stylish look overall, I think.
I thought about it again, and decided that had she gone with a thinner hat or smaller collar, that would’ve solved her problem. I agree that she looked great in motion. I’m beginning to see that it’s just the close ups that seems a bit heavy. She probably thought it looked fine when she looked in a full length mirror at home, but photographers like to take close ups and use only those. That might have been the issue here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
Relatively safe in the colors she chose? I can see that. But when it comes to her actual fashion, she's always gone for chic yet simple, even in her red carpet looks. That's one of the reasons I was surprised by her dress choice in the engagement photos. It was more daring than what she normally goes for.
I think FashionMaven is talking about just today.

I don’t think the engagement photos were that daring for her style from past, but definitely more daring if you look at previous BRF engagement photos even though her dress was lined as opposed to the original runway version. I chuckled at it when I first saw it because I knew there will be freak outs over it. But I thoroughly enjoyed what she chose for those photos.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Yep - I was.

I also think she was being safe a bit in her choice of hat. It was a simple hat and silhouette with just a small frill for interest - but it was modern in style and not fussy (a la Beatrice and Eugenie).

But overall I think it fit with her modern minimalist aesthetic - tone on tone is always a win with that aesthetic and I think she chose a hat that one chooses when not trying to overpower the look with a hat and also want something tone on tone that stands out a bit but doesn't scream out.

Quote:
I don’t think the engagement photos were that daring for her style from past, but definitely more daring if you look at previous BRF engagement photos even though her dress was lined as opposed to the original runway version. I chuckled at it when I first saw it because I knew there will be freak outs over it. But I thoroughly enjoyed what she chose for those photos.
I didn't think the engagement photos were a departure from her past style - I thought it was probably her finally getting to indulge her style aesthetic that's been there all along. If you look at her past style choices, she's also a fan of contrast - lace with leather, sleek with a peek of a restrained frill. It's just that she hasn't been able to wear that caliber of gown in her career as much, so when she could ... she did.

Maybe I see my style as similar - so I could see the easy progression from what we've seen of her as a lesser known celeb - even at premieres - to that engagement gown.

The gown seemed like it was utterly created for HER to wear - she wore it so well. Her hair and coloring with that gown was perfection.

I think the one thing Meghan gets right every time is that she picks colors that work perfectly with her complexion. I'm a few shades darker than Meghan (more of a true caramel - although I'm more like a light butterscotch in winter), but caramel and camel tones and sheer warm blacks look great on me. As does burgundy.

I'm really looking forward to her style evolution over the years.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:

Oh, I just meant daring, in that, she went for a more elaborate look, which is a departure from her more simple, minimalist style. The "sheer" top wasn't really daring to me, as it was obvious that it was lined. I was baffled to see some people deem it inappropriate.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:38 PM
Commoner

Quote:
I think the hat would've been better if it didn't have the side thing. It's always a little awkward to see people who don't usually wear hats wear hats at first. So I'm not going to hate on her for that.
I agree. I would hate to see what I would wear if I had to start wearing hats! Probably I would look like Minnie Pearl, with the price tag hanging down in front of my face! LOL!
Old 12-25-2017, 12:55 PM
Royal Highness

I don't like her hat. This brown is bad color for her. The coat is nice but hats require more fitted coats.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:02 PM
Gentry

Meghan's coat is fantastic on her. The hat is ghastly. It's too big on her; it makes her head look like a mushroom.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:39 PM
Aristocracy

I hope she tries more color in the future. She may be wanting to fit in, rather than stand out to begin with. Plus, don't forget the brouhaha over the engagement photo dress.

I like the boots, but I am partial to Stuart Weitzman and own several pairs of their boots. She might want to get them tailored so that they don't bunch up so much.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:02 PM
Aristocracy

Hmm, in motion, the outfit looks much better than in pics.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
I hope she tries more color in the future. She may be wanting to fit in, rather than stand out to begin with. Plus, don't forget the brouhaha over the engagement photo dress.

I like the boots, but I am partial to Stuart Weitzman and own several pairs of their boots. She might want to get them tailored so that they don't bunch up so much.
Can you get boots tailored? I’ve never heard of it. Her calves are toned, but they are incredibly thin. I thought she should just stick to structured boots as they don’t need to cling to her to stay up, but they may leave open space in the circumference and not keep her as warm.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
Hmm, in motion, the outfit looks much better than in pics.
It really does, doesn't it? Maybe she should do what Cher Horowitz in Clueless did, and take Polaroids of her outfits before wearing them.

Okay, well I couldn't get that to work. You can find tutorials of taking in boots on Youtube.

Boots tend to flap around on my calves unless I get the kind with a stretchy material.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Can you get boots tailored? I’ve never heard of it. Her calves are toned, but they are incredibly thin. I thought she should just stick to structured boots as they don’t need to cling to her to stay up, but they may leave open space in the circumference and not keep her as warm.
I'm quite sure you can get boots custom made to your leg/foot.

LaRae
Old 12-25-2017, 02:55 PM
Majesty

She looks great. The coat is very beautiful and elegant. I don't like the hat though.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
She looks fine but as she has such a small frame, these belted coats swamp her. She looks lovely in fitted coats such as the navy blue one.

I really don't like the hat - it looks out of proportion.

And I'd love to see some more colour - the palette since the engagement is very neutral.
She stands out in the neutral tones, given what the other ladies are wearing. I love her in that coat, especially the way the belt is tied --- almost a Japanese simplicity to the knot. The bag is cute if a bit quirky and the hat is not so great, even though she looks wonderful. Thumbs up on the boots and that smile.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
It really does, doesn't it? Maybe she should do what Cher Horowitz in Clueless did, and take Polaroids of her outfits before wearing them.
That’d be pretty cool. She would have a vast collection after a few years and maybe it’ll see the light of day one day.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:12 PM
Aristocracy

(..)

Thought Meghan looked nicely and appropriately dressed.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:16 PM
Courtier

Loved the coat, hat and boots. Not too fond of the handbag.

I love her style...it's very polished. And it seems she's been helping our her fiancè too, in the fashion stakes. Maybe she can give her future brother-in-law a few tips
Old 12-25-2017, 05:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
I love everything about this look from head to toe (including the handbag). Love the colour choice. I am so going to enjoy following her on the fashion front - what a welcome ejection of elegance to the British Royal family.
I second that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
Thank for that pic. I was wondering what she wore underneath the coat. It looks like a burgundy dress. Is that the same dress she wore to the Invictus Opening Ceremony?