Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really do hope Meghan is still able to retain some of her signature style even in her looks after she's officially royal.

Last edited:
I think she will. There's nothing requiring her to dress like Kate/Sophie/Anne etc. They all do things a bit differently from each other already.

I figure we will still see her personal clothing (pre-wedding) popping up when she's out and about.

LaRae

As Meghan wears her hair straight on always, I would say she probably has something more permanent done rather than daily temporary solutions like your friend who switches.
For my hair to be straight I have to put a relaxer in it every few weeks. Meghan probably has curls that are very small and to get her hair straight it would take more effort than just doing something daily.

I think her engagement outfit was unattractive but her other ones have been OK... passable.

It' very decent appropriate outfit i think, again nothing spectacular but understood for the visit,i actually like the hair.

All Miss Markle outfits yet are so/so if not boring and plain i think she too afraid to do a faux pas and chose the safe choices on designs and colors for now it's understood in the future i think she will need to do more efforts

Just compare queen Máxima as a royal fiancée and what she has been wearing later in her marriage; so yes, I think she will feel more free to make certain choices while growing into her role - she is still figuring out what is acceptable in her new role as a future member of the BRF, so better err on the safe side.

Nonetheless, I don't consider her choices very 'safe' for royal standards (engagement photo, Christmas lunch, trousers on second official engagement).

If she's had keratin treatments, that's as good as a relaxer as the formaldehyde chemically straightens hair. Brazilian blowouts, same. It's just the "new" relaxer that isn't the same old same old. Point being, it's not a basic blowout that she's used - but something chemical that will permanently straighten the hair.

It's why I don't get keratin treatments or brazilians - I don't want to destroy my hair's curl pattern.

Point is - she probably cannot get back to her natural texture at this point unless she big chops and lets it be natural from that point on... just like any other black or black biracial woman on the planet would have to do if they'd used a relaxer, or straightened their hair with keratin/brazilians that chemically straighten hair over time.

The keratin treatment I'm referring to is really nothing like a relaxer. It's not even technically what straightens the hair, it's more like a protective coating that makes the hair softer, more manageable and is "sealed in" with flat ironing. The hair will revert back to its natural texture once the treatment wears off, which is usually between 6 to 10 weeks. And I say this as a woman of color with naturally curly hair who has tried it before. ;) But I know many women with naturally kinky/curly hair who are afraid of potential heat damage so they steer clear of it. Understandable.

The keratin treatment I'm referring to is really nothing like a relaxer. It's not even technically what straightens the hair, it's more like a protective coating that makes the hair softer, more manageable and is "sealed in" with flat ironing. The hair will revert back to its natural texture once the treatment wears off, which is usually between 6 to 10 weeks. And I say this as a woman of color with naturally curly hair who has tried it before. ;) But I know many women with naturally kinky/curly hair who are afraid of potential heat damage so they steer clear of it. Understandable.

I think you might be missing my point? It's the formaldehyde in the keratin treatment (even the ones that claim to be formaldehyde free actually aren't). That's the chemical I'm talking about. It does something chemically to the bonds in your hair that control "curliness".

My main point is that IF Meghan is able to get her hair wet without it reverting upon sustained contact then she has some kind of chemical treatment in her hair. I'm including keratin treatments in that because of the formaldehyde even if it's not as permanent as a relaxer.

Last edited:
I think she will. There's nothing requiring her to dress like Kate/Sophie/Anne etc. They all do things a bit differently from each other already.

I figure we will still see her personal clothing (pre-wedding) popping up when she's out and about.

LaRae

I tend to think of Meghan's style as already somewhat royal in its restraint - her more polished looks that is. Even though a lot of royal women don't wear trouser pants, I wish they would - they look SO smart and are SO modern.

If Kate wore them as stylishly as Meghan did, I'd applaud that.

My hope though is that for the many polished looks we've seen from Meghan throughout her career - they have a certain posh edge to them that I really hope she is able to bring into royal attire once she's married.

Meaning - I hope the engagement gown was a sign of things to come and not a farewell to her previous edgy classic style.

Just compare queen Máxima as a royal fiancée and what she has been wearing later in her marriage; so yes, I think she will feel more free to make certain choices while growing into her role - she is still figuring out what is acceptable in her new role as a future member of the BRF, so better err on the safe side.

Nonetheless, I don't consider her choices very 'safe' for royal standards (engagement photo, Christmas lunch, trousers on second official engagement).

i hope so,i understand as i said before that yet she doesn't do the engagement and event that need an intersting outfit but i saw some of of her old photos and i find her tatse really nice and intersting so i am looking forward to see more from her after her marriage.

I tend to think of Meghan's style as already somewhat royal in its restraint - her more polished looks that is. Even though a lot of royal women don't wear trouser pants, I wish they would - they look SO smart and are SO modern.

My hope though is that for the many polished looks we've seen from Meghan throughout her career - they have a certain posh edge to them that I really hope she is able to bring into royal attire once she's married.

Meaning - I hope the engagement gown was a sign of things to come and not a farewell to her previous edgy classic style.

? ? ? I LOVED those pants. Honestly, as a working woman, I love the clothing Meghan worn to Nottingham and Brixton. It's well put together, and it's stuff I can see myself wearing to work. I'm also glad to see some glamour in the engagement photos. It's not something I'd wear because I just don't have the occasion to wear it to, but I certainly enjoy seeing them on her.

? ? ? I LOVED those pants. Honestly, as a working woman, I love the clothing Meghan worn to Nottingham and Brixton. I'm also glad to see some glamour in the engagement photos. It's not something I'd wear because I just don't have the occasion to wear it to, but I certainly enjoy seeing them on her.

Hell - I'm not married and that engagement pic has me wanting to dress up like that for MINE when I finally do!!

Hell - I'm not married and that engagement pic has me wanting to dress up like that for MINE when I finally do!!

Girl, I feel like we are all allowed to go all out for those moments in life. I'm glad to see that she didn't go the minimalist way for her engagement photos. I know she's gotten some heat for that dress and the cost and some felt that was too much for a daytime shoot, but that whole photoshoot was a fashionista's dream, wasn't it? I know people said it felt somewhat Hollywood, but that wasn't Hollywood. It was really done like a fashion spread, which is quite different.

Not all women can carry those trousers off, HGD Stephanie rarely gets them right.

However I think it would be perfectly find for Meghan to keep wearing them but I don't know what kind of leeway they have on this issue. Rumor has been for some time the Queen isn't a fan of them but maybe things are changing. Past that I do expect her to keep her current style when she's doing official engagements. CANNOT WAIT to see what she wears in Wales next week!

Frankly since I wasn't a fan of the engagement photo dress (skirt part, top was fine) I hope to not see that skirt style again! lol

LaRae

Not a fan of the wide trousers Meghan is wearing in her recent outfit; as Pranter has said very few royal women have been able to pull them off. The rest of her outfit is nice though.

I for one Loved the wide trousers Meghan wore!! Kudos to her for wearing them and I hope she wears them again.

Not a fan of the wide trousers Meghan is wearing in her recent outfit; as Pranter has said very few royal women have been able to pull them off. The rest of her outfit is nice though.

Awww - that was my favorite part of them! I loved that they were a modern fashion forward shape rather than an unfortunate style that flatters no one...

Different strokes though - the wide leg style and slight boot cut styles are my favorite pant shape... also the subtle flare ones too (but subtle, not overt).

I thought the pants looked perfect with her sweater - she had a perfect modern 70s look going on with it... all she needed was the shades and fedora, lol. But without all of that it was a perfect look to me.

I'm still mad I didn't buy a similar sweater when I saw it about a month ago. But I have another one that will yield the same look with similar pants so no worries here...

Yes wide trousers look really good on her.

I loved those trousers as well and hope she continues to wear them from time to time.

I think you might be missing my point? It's the formaldehyde in the keratin treatment (even the ones that claim to be formaldehyde free actually aren't). That's the chemical I'm talking about. It does something chemically to the bonds in your hair that control "curliness".

My main point is that IF Meghan is able to get her hair wet without it reverting upon sustained contact then she has some kind of chemical treatment in her hair. I'm including keratin treatments in that because of the formaldehyde even if it's not as permanent as a relaxer.

Don't think I missed the point. A keratin treatment is not "as good as a relaxer." That's the point I was objecting to, as there are some important differences between the two.

In any case, we don't know the state of Meghan's curls, but I think years of wearing her hair straight probably means that her curls don't look the same, regardless of her straightening method. And so she would probably have to "start from scratch" to get her hair to look as it did in her younger years. On that, we can agree.

Awww - that was my favorite part of them! I loved that they were a modern fashion forward shape rather than an unfortunate style that flatters no one...

Different strokes though - the wide leg style and slight boot cut styles are my favorite pant shape... also the subtle flare ones too (but subtle, not overt).

I thought the pants looked perfect with her sweater - she had a perfect modern 70s look going on with it... all she needed was the shades and fedora, lol. But without all of that it was a perfect look to me.

I'm still mad I didn't buy a similar sweater when I saw it about a month ago. But I have another one that will yield the same look with similar pants so no worries here...

It's really nice to see someone airing a different opinion than mine so civilly ? It is interesting to see how much taste can differ! I do agree about the 70s vibes, but to me that's a turn-off, haha. Now you mention that I'm envisioning Meghan in full Abba style regalia :D

In a way it reminded me of a Donna Karen or DVF look (from back then).

LaRae

ABBA?? LOL please NO clothes like that!

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL maybe not even then!!!

LaRae

It's really nice to see someone airing a different opinion than mine so civilly ? It is interesting to see how much taste can differ! I do agree about the 70s vibes, but to me that's a turn-off, haha. Now you mention that I'm envisioning Meghan in full Abba style regalia :D

Agree! :flowers: Makes it more pleasant all round. Appreciate it.

It' very decent appropriate outfit i think, again nothing spectacular but understood for the visit,i actually like the hair.

All Miss Markle outfits yet are so/so if not boring and plain i think she too afraid to do a faux pas and chose the safe choices on designs and colors for now it's understood in the future i think she will need to do more efforts

LOL. When Meghan "does more efforts," she will still be criticized, just as she was for the "Hollywood-like" expensive engagement photo frock. ?

Since the way Meghan is carrying herself has always been her style (laid-back casual elegance with a neutral color palette), I think she's fine doing things the way she feels comfortable for now. She and Harry are to a large degree planning to play by their own rules, and I think that comes across loud and clear.

Earlier in this thread, I linked photos of Meghan's extensive coat collection, many in pale or white shades, with a couple of them in navy and green, but mostly white, gray and pink.

So yes, Meghan is still rocking her own flair and her love for light-colored coats:

Meghan's Mirror breaks it down:
Meghan and Harry visit Reprezent 107.3FM in Brixton

Here's a bonus feature on 'Meghan's 5 Best Red Carpet Looks'
Meghan Markle’s 5 Best Red Carpet Looks

LOL. When Meghan "does more efforts," she will still be criticized, just as she was for the "Hollywood-like" expensive engagement photo frock. ?

Since the way Meghan is carrying herself has always been her style (laid-back casual elegance with a neutral color palette), I think she's fine doing things the way she feels comfortable for now. She and Harry are to a large degree planning to play by their own rules, and I think that comes across loud and clear.

Earlier in this thread, I linked photos of Meghan's extensive coat collection, many in pale or white shades, with a couple of them in navy and green, but mostly white, gray and pink.

So yes, Meghan is still rocking her own flair and her love for light-colored coats:

Meghan's Mirror breaks it down:
Meghan and Harry visit Reprezent 107.3FM in Brixton

Here's a bonus feature on 'Meghan's 5 Best Red Carpet Looks'
Meghan Markle’s 5 Best Red Carpet Looks

In the second photo, MM appears to be the only person who knows where the camera is.

In the second photo, MM appears to be the only person who knows where the camera is.

Well she grew up on a television set, and she's been a working actor for most of her adult life, so I guess it makes sense Meghan would not only know where to look for the camera, but also just how to shine for every picture she's aware that's being taken of her.

I look forward to seeing more formal photos of Harkle, and I wonder when there will be a painting commissioned?

Meghan & Harry sure do rock their looks together, and they seem to be very much in tune and in love. It will be interesting to see how Meghan's style evolves further as a member of the royal family. She has spoken about how her casual LA style became more polished and sophisticated when she moved to Toronto to film Suits, and she was fortunate enough to meet and make friends with the show's designers. Plus, her close friend and stylist, Jessica Mulroney, has likely given Meghan invaluable styling and fashion tips over the years.

Oh, of course! I wish I was that photogenic!

Harkle...sounds better than Heghan. ?

I only like 2 of her '5 best' red carpet looks. Thankfully we are not likely to see anything like the 3 I didn't care for.

LaRae

Last edited:
Not Liking the all black or her hair. Plus I know she’s a fan of those belted coats but it looks like she’s wearing a bathrobe

Black is SO grim on such a cold day...

So not a fan of ANY of her choices..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom