The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-24-2017, 07:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Debatable. Monarchies need the good graces of the public to be able to exist. Very The Crown of me
And exactly what is the public going to do if they don’t release engagement photo? Which is a private matter, that’s being privately paid for? As long as they fulfill their public duties, people aren’t entitled to the rest. I keep getting told here that Harry isn’t that important and they need to know their place etc. Honestly, if he’s not that important, then why does it matter? Shouldn’t the public demand only apply to those that “matter”? After all, he’s not going to be a monarch. How they spend their private money is their business. All this over one dress during a private setting that’s not from public purse is a bit much.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
And exactly what is the public going to do if they don’t release engagement photo? Which is a private matter, that’s being privately paid for? I keep getting told here that Harry isn’t that important and they need to know their place etc. Honestly, if he’s not that important, then why does it matter? Shouldn’t the public demand only apply to those that “matter”? After all, he’s not going to be a monarch. How they spend their private money is their business. All these drama and demands are getting a bit ridiculous.
I’m going to have to assume you don’t follow other royals? One thing I’ve noticed is that there is no such thing as private money or private matters when it comes to a country’s royal family. Some countries have it easier than others, but all royals are to some degree viewed as public property. And the level of intrusion and demands is nothing for Harry and Meghan compared to what it will be should they in a few years displease the British public. Just look at the Yorks.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Nothing about these people is ever truly private though, let's be real here.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
I’m going to have to assume you don’t follow other royals? One thing I’ve noticed is that there is no such thing as private money or private matters when it comes to a country’s royal family. Some countries have it easier than others, but all royals are to some degree viewed as public property. And the level of intrusion and demands is nothing for Harry and Meghan compared to what it will be should they in a few years displease the British public. Just look at the Yorks.
You can’t compare what happened with this one dress to some of the faux pas Andrew, and by extension Fergie, has made over the years. This never ending drama over the cost of one dress for a special occasion that’s paid for privately is just plain unreasonable at this point. Some have been acting like those two will bring down the monarchy when in reality, they’ve done nothing close to it.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
You can’t compare what happened with this one dress to some of the faux pas Andrew, and by extension Fergie, has made over the years.
And I wasn’t, might be a good idea to read my sentences one after the other and not jump from dress straight to Andy and Fergie. ''in a few years'' part of my post is significant. And I was more referring to Beatrice and Eugenie and the relentless criticism they get in the British media.

Quote:
This never ending drama over the cost of one dress for a special occasion that’s paid for privately is just plain unreasonable at this point. Some have been acting like those two will bring down the monarchy when in reality, they’ve done nothing close to it.
I would also recommend not confusing the royal forum posters or royal bloggers with the general population. They are vastly different things and while some views might be common to both, many things royal fans find crucial will not even register for ordinary people.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
And I wasn’t, might be a good idea to read my sentences one after the other and not jump from dress straight to Andy and Fergie. ''in a few years'' part of my post is significant. And I was more referring to Beatrice and Eugenie and the relentless criticism they get in the British media.

I would also recommend not confusing the royal forum posters or royal bloggers with the general population. They are vastly different things and while some views might be common to both, many things royal fans find crucial will not even register for ordinary people.
Nor would many ordinary people even register some things as important if they weren't told twisted stories by the tabloid press. I strongly believe in freedom of the press but some so-called press cross lines.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
And my point is people can hardly assume this is going to be a daily type of thing and this has been blown way out of proportion. The unfortunate part of is some people has been treating and criticizing as if it was. Beatrice and Eugenie is a different issue and it’s not entirely their own fault either. They aren’t working on behalf of the firm and thus can’t really prove their worth through work. Unfortunately, they haven’t had much private success either. That’s not the case with Meghan and Harry as they will be dedicating their lives to work. As long as they do good work, who gives a crap of how they spend their own money?
Old 12-24-2017, 11:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Nor would many ordinary people even register some things as important if they weren't told twisted stories by the tabloid press. I strongly believe in freedom of the press but some so-called press cross lines.
I have stayed out of the discussion of the dress since it has been such a sore point for a lot of people, but have to say that I was literally just thinking the same thing that you wrote just before I read your post. I wonder how many people were greatly disturbed by the cost of the dress before the press started making such big deal out of it. I wonder how many people even thought to themselves, "Gee, I wonder how much that dress cost?" When I was looking at the pictures, it didn't cross my mind to wonder how much it cost. I just could not get over how happy and content Harry looked and how happy Meghan looked. Then I noticed the dress and I liked it. Now, I am not British so I don't fund the Royal Family, but when Kensington Palace released the info that the dress was privately purchased, I think that should have been the end of the issue. I know people talk about the perception being given by Meghan wearing a very expensive dress that cost more than some people make per year, but I expect Royalty to dress that way occasionally, and it is not like she does it everyday.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:29 AM
Majesty

You know you are right. I looked at those engagement photos and saw a beautiful couple deeply in love and thought the photos were whimsical and a little different.

The media, having made all the money off the engagement there was to be made suddenly whipped out their calculators for a second bite of the cherry. Bah humbug, why are we giving them oxygen?
Old 12-25-2017, 07:15 AM
Royal Highness

Meghan is wearing a tan Sentaler coat and Chloe Pixie bag per @whatmegwore
Old 12-25-2017, 07:21 AM
Majesty

And here she is

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...re-id898498230
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...re-id898498210
Old 12-25-2017, 07:22 AM
Majesty

I love the color of the coat...I like the boot...can't tell about the rest. The hat, not sure about till I get a better pic of it.

LaRae
Old 12-25-2017, 07:23 AM
Majesty

Ok LOVE the coat....not a fan of the hat.

LaRae
Old 12-25-2017, 07:24 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Horrid colour, horrid outfit. Not a fan at all I'm afraid.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:26 AM
Royal Highness

I think the hat would've been better if it didn't have the side thing. It's always a little awkward to see people who don't usually wear hats wear hats at first. So I'm not going to hate on her for that.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:26 AM
Heir Apparent

No, I'm not a fan of the hat either. I'm a colour loving person really but I don't mind the coat and love the boots!
Old 12-25-2017, 07:28 AM
Majesty

I like the color combo (wish we could see the dress) of beige/brown. Evidently she took hat advice from Eugenie/Beatrice!

LaRae

https://www.mytheresa.com/en-us/chlo...ffiliate.cj.us

Handbag

https://sentaler.com/collections/coa...rap-coat-camel

Coat
Old 12-25-2017, 07:32 AM
Royal Highness

Yeah, she's going to have to figure out the hat thing as she goes. Glad to see it's not only us normal folks struggling with hats when we aren't used to them.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:37 AM
Aristocracy

Love the coat, boots and the overall color combination! Not a fans of the hat, okay to me in the 1st pic but a huge NO in the 2nd.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Evidently people were lining up before daylight in order to see the BRF walk by.

LaRae
Yea, I think it started more than four hours before the 11am service. I think that's when some of the reporters go there, and there were already people there.