The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-22-2017, 11:46 AM
Royal Highness

ANY dissent, or alternative views are vociferously STAMPED on, by the Ms Markle devotees, in often rather intemperate tones. It makes it awfully one-sided and LESS than chummy...

Old 12-22-2017, 11:48 AM
Majesty

I think she looked fabulous and probably thought using a gown already in her wardrobe or "available" was a no brainer. Seems to some it was a big mistake . . . HUGE!

Old 12-22-2017, 12:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
ANY dissent, or alternative views are vociferously STAMPED on, by the Ms Markle devotees, in often rather intemperate tones. It makes it awfully one-sided and LESS than chummy...
I don't think that is an accurate assessment. I don't think even most people who like the dress have an issue with those who didn't personally like it or didn't like it for engagement photos.

The strong dissent comes when some people emphatically state things like the dress was inappropriate and disrespectful to the BRF because it was couture or sheer (which hers wasn't) and that clearly Meghan is out of her depth or isn't trying to fit in....
Old 12-22-2017, 12:40 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Seems like mean-spirited gossip is discouraged on this forum.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I don't think that is an accurate assessment. I don't think even most people who like the dress have an issue with those who didn't personally like it or didn't like it for engagement photos.

The strong dissent comes when some people emphatically state things like the dress was inappropriate and disrespectful to the BRF because it was couture or sheer (which hers wasn't) and that clearly Meghan is out of her depth or isn't trying to fit in....
No kidding! I'm not even a big fan of the dress (I don't like the skirt at all).

That said, it's not trashy, it's not Hollywood and the cost is right in line with designer dresses worn by the women in the BRF. I could care less if she paid full price, half price or got it on loan....it's her money.

LaRae
Old 12-22-2017, 03:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just looking through British Royal family official engagement photos . There has frequently been a mix of photos featuring day dress and informal outfits juxtaposed with at least one where a ball gown has featured.
Both Sarah and Diana had such photos and have just found this of Anne.
https://www.onewed.com/photos/prince...nt-photo-20415
I also have several old souvenir booklets for Princess Margaret and Alexandra who also had a formal pic in a ball gown. Admittedly these were all more formal settings but Meghan choosing to wear a gown is not out of place at all.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:44 PM
Courtier

I’m not a fan of the dress either. The skirt and top look mis-matched to me. But I wouldn’t much care for either part separately tbh.

But, Meghan wears it well. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:56 PM
Majesty

Nicely spotted. Anne's photo is a classic romantic shot and my favourite from her engagement set. It is a rare moment when Anne allowed her inner girlish dreams take flight as did Meghan in her evening gown. Yet neither photo shows what we would consider their own personal style - it's more a statement of how they felt, lovely and loved.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not a fan of the dress especially the bottom half, but it was only visible in the candid shot. Plus many on here are probably tired of the sly insulting comments about Meghan and her glamour and being a Hollywood actress.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 12-22-2017, 05:26 PM

I was really disappointed in the dress. Busy stitching in the wrong color or one that doesnt do much for her and flouncy kind of skirt that has a feathery look. I am a big Meghan fan, but just don't happen to understand the dress here.

I also agree with those that feel like it would have been better to wear something more believable for an outdoor setting on the grass. Not a formal ball gown/evening dress.

I have no idea about the usual cost of Royals clothes, I expect them to wear expensive clothes, and I also know that this isnt a predictor of what she will do in the future, but for one of your first pictures wearing something that costs more than most people earn in a year is not a good statement. It is even rather offensive and strikes a dissonant note when her focus will be on charity work.

I don't feel a royal has anything to prove through clothing or conspicuous consumption, so my view is that they shouldnt emulate the super wealthy in that regard. So I will have to agree with those that feel it was an inappropriate choice.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:57 PM
Royal Highness

From the New York Times.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/2...ww.google.com/
Old 12-22-2017, 06:03 PM
Royal Highness

^ chilling^
Old 12-22-2017, 06:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
It is more daring than anything the current members of the royal family would do, but it’s tastefully done and taking chances is what makes fashion great. .
I love these engagement photos and think they are some of the best pics I have ever seen. As far as daring, this dress is really not even as daring as the the gown Kate wore to the last state dinner. It was very low cut and showed a lot of cleavage.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...14067063480211

And, just to clarify for anyone reading my post, I am not comparing Kate and Meghan. I LOVE them both and look forward to following both their fashion. I am just pointing out that the publications, like the one jacqui24 pointed out in post #371, that are talking about Meghan's dress being daring to the point of being history making, are conveniently forgetting even more daring dresses worn by members of the BRF when it suits their narrative. And yes, this was an engagement photo, but all photos taken of members of the BRF become a part of history.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:19 PM
Courtier

I am hoping that we can all agree to disagree that some like the gown and some don't for that is what opinions are all about and no need to put anyone to shame for their opinion........liking this gown or not does not mean anyone here is a pearl clutcher or even disliking Meghan herself....

What the gown says to one does not mean it says to another.......hence very different opinions......
Old 12-24-2017, 04:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Nice Article and I agree wholeheartedly:
It’s become a national tradition to obsess over what the royals wear. But it’s time we left Meghan Markle and her dress alone

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-24-2017, 07:13 AM
Courtier

Let's be nice boys, ladies are up and awake and we do not want any trouble today.....coffee or tea is available for those that want it....
Old 12-24-2017, 07:18 AM
Majesty

(..)

I will wait to hear from Harry and Meghan about the Christmas Luncheon before I rush to inform Meghan that she is supposed to feel insulted or offended.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:27 AM
Heir Apparent

(..) I am getting very tired of the furore over Meghan's so-called expensive engagement outfit.

And I'll have a nice coffee, M. Payton, with some frothy milk. I'm looking forward to seeing the Church walk tomorrow.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
so-called expensive engagement outfit
IF 56k doesn't strike you as expensive i'd love to see your clothes budget..!
Old 12-24-2017, 09:40 AM
Majesty

I cannot wait to see what Meghan has on tomorrow, it will be interesting!

LaRae

Quote:
IF 56k doesn't strike you as expensive i'd love to see your clothes budget..!

I think when you look at the other members of the BRF and their clothes and we know at times what they spend...she is not off the mark.

LaRae