The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-21-2017, 05:47 PM
Courtier

The lesson which Meghan will hopefully learn from the furor over the cost of the engagement dress is to have her expensive dresses be bespoke so that the public does not have a number to fixate on. Sure wealthy people can afford 50-60,000 for a dress, but when the average person only spends that amount for say, a new car, it just sounds frivolous and a tad irresponsible particularly if this couple will be spearheading efforts in the future asking average/ordinary hard working people to donate to various causes.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Oh I get it. I don't always agree with some of the fashion criticism that some of the royal ladies receive, but it unfortunately comes with the territory. I think Meghan will handle it all fine though. She's shown that she knows how to dress for the occasion. Her only misstep so far has been this dress, IMO.

Yeah, I had a good laugh at some of the hat jokes on twitter.
Eh, we'll have to agree to disagree on the dress. I LOVE everything about the engagement portraits. I thought they were obviously in love and she looked beautiful. I wouldn't have chosen that dress for me, but she looks stunning. I'm not sure if there is much she wear that she wouldn't look stunning in. Maybe some old ugly 80s dress with puffy sleeves.

Anyways, speaking of hats. I can't wait to see what hat Meghan wears on Christmas Day!

Old 12-21-2017, 05:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Bakery View Post
Ms. Markle is a fashionable woman. Hopefully, there is no sister-in-law rivalry with Kate like there was with Diana and Sarah in the '80s and the '90s.
If anything Kate is relieved to have Meghan in the family. Kate has spent the last 10 years having her fashion debated. It’s Meghan’s turn. Kate’s been there and done that.

She’s beeen in the Vanity Fair’s best dressed list for 5 years. She’s in Vanity Fair’s best dressed hall of fame.

It’s time for Meghan to step into the public eye.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeT View Post
When Meghan wore affordable priced jeans to watch a tennis match, in downtown Toronto, during the 2017 Invictus Games there were some royal watchers who complained that a girlfriend of a Prince should’ve worn something better. Now she wears a lovely and expensive gown for her Engagement photos and there are complaints that she should’ve worn something less expensive. LOL!
It is rather amusing. She can't win either way so do your thing Meghan! You look amazing.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Um, it was never cute. The matchy outfits have a very teenage going to prom look at me I’ve got a boyfriend vibe. Co-ordinating so as to not clash for official photographs is altogether different, IMO.
The lesson which Meghan will hopefully learn from the furor over the cost of the engagement dress is to have her expensive dresses be bespoke so that the public does not have a number to fixate on. Sure wealthy people can afford 50-60,000 for a dress, but when the average person only spends that amount for say, a new car, it just sounds frivolous and a tad irresponsible particularly if this couple will be spearheading efforts in the future asking average/ordinary hard working people to donate to various causes.
If you think about it, having bespoken dress so that public wouldn't find out the price tag would actually hike the price as then it would be custom designed and everything. Which kind of serves as a contradiction to all the uproar here about how frivolous it is to spend that much on a dress.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:23 PM
Nobility

Teehee re all the brouhaha over Meghan's engagement photo attire. Yep, I'll bet the Ralph & Russo design is a ballgown Nutmeg already owned. She's been involved in the entertainment industry and participated in fashion shoots as well as attended numerous high profile fashion shows for quite awhile. Meghan has a savvy, connected stylist in Jessica Mulroney, and she's met & befriended top designers and soaked up a knowledge and a taste for high fashion for a long time now.

From every indication, Meghan has always been a feminine girly girl with a casual, edgy style who loves nice clothes and who takes pleasure in enjoying all the good things in life. Why should she stop being who she is now? The gorgeous, expensive ballgown is certainly within her means and offers just the right touch of glam and excitement in a very romantic and ancient English country setting. Wowza!

I agree that all the women in the royal family are likely happy to have Meghan within the fold, livening things up sartorially. Meghan is not someone to be jealous of. Both she and her fashion sense are inspirational I think, probably especially for people who have the opportunity to get to know her. Look at all the Meghan fashion blogs and the interest surrounding Meghan's clothes and her fashion savvy as soon as news got out that she was dating Harry.

Zonk earlier made a reference to Meghan's mother's family being from the South (in connection to a discussion about hats). Reportedly, that's not exactly correct. But since the reference to Meghan's family is off-topic in this thread, I will take my response to the appropriate thread.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:23 PM
Majesty

Rebecca English‏Verified account
@RE_DailyMail
Following Following @RE_DailyMail

Too busy to really tweet today but I've seen conjecture about #MeghanMarkle's @ralphandrusso engagement dress. @MailOnline are absolutely right: it's couture, priced at £56,000 & was paid for privately. But that is not necessarily the price paid and we don't know who purchased it
Old 12-21-2017, 06:26 PM
Majesty

Rebecca English‏Verified account
@RE_DailyMail
Following Following @RE_DailyMail

Too busy to really tweet today but I've seen conjecture about #MeghanMarkle's @ralphandrusso engagement dress. @MailOnline are absolutely right: it's couture, priced at £56,000 & was paid for privately. But that is not necessarily the price paid and we don't know who purchased it
Old 12-21-2017, 06:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
If you think about it, having bespoken dress so that public wouldn't find out the price tag would actually hike the price as then it would be custom designed and everything. Which kind of serves as a contradiction to all the uproar here about how frivolous it is to spend that much on a dress.

And no complements to the couple for the chemistry?

Exactly.

Some folks want to put their fingers in their ears, hum loudly, and cling to illusions of royals pretending to live on a budget that doesn't actually exist, I guess.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:44 PM
Majesty

I don't mind her make-up. What disturbs me more is the very expensive evening dress worn for an official engagement photo. The tradition is a day dress or a suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
In some of the pictures Meghan looks like she has an inch of makeup on her face
Old 12-21-2017, 07:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I don't mind her make-up. What disturbs me more is the very expensive evening dress worn for an official engagement photo. The tradition is a day dress or a suit.
Really? Princess Anne must have missed that memo when she had her engagement photos with Mark Phillips taken

https://juliapgelardi.files.wordpres...annemark22.jpg

Zara & Mike must have missed it as well.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/...13_634x549.jpg

And Peter & Autumn.

https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/f...ugust-2007.jpg
Old 12-21-2017, 07:50 PM
Nobility

Yes, thanks for sharing. Every bride-to-be has the right to strut their own stuff, and to represent who they really are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
As nice as this dress is, the pricing of it is rather insane. This dress is no better or more beautiful than a 10.000 Valentino or Giambattista Valli dress yet they chose a 56.000 dress? Common sense people..
Seems like over-fixation on the dress and the price of the dress, IMHO. Meghan Markle is a former actor and a down-to-earth diva fashionista with independent wealth. And as others have indicated, the Ralph & Russo luxe couture is probably a ballgown that Meghan already owned (or was loaned) and she possibly could have previously worn it on another occasion that we are not privy to knowing about. To me, the gown is a streamlined, elegant & luxurious but less froufrou version of the Carolina Herrera fanciful ballgown Meghan wore for the Vanity Fair shoot.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2DQgVMFmT...2Bballgown.jpg
https://78.media.tumblr.com/eae8109a...un1o1_1280.jpg
Meanwhile, I don't see any comments about the white sweater Meghan is wearing in the sweet face-to-face engagement photo. Is it cashmere?

Anyway, it's not so much about what H&M are wearing on the outside, but more-so about what they are wearing and feeling on the inside that shines on the outside. I doubt anyone among the royals are feeling put-out about the gown or cost of the gown Meghan is wearing. Harry seems over the moon and copacetic. It's a time for celebration.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Majesty

Why does the cost of the dress disturb anyone?

There's nothing that says they can do things differently. Zara wore jeans and a jacket! Mike was just as casual.

LaRae
Old 12-21-2017, 07:53 PM
Courtier

In all the fuss over the price, it may have gone unnoticed that Meghan chose to use British designers. A big boost for the UK fashion industry and no doubt much needed.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:05 PM
Majesty

Heavens can you imagine if she hadn't used a British company? Lord it doesn't bear thinking about.

LaRae
Old 12-21-2017, 08:15 PM
Commoner

I seem to remember that Sophie was slammed for having sparkly trim on her engagement suit?
I am in the camp that thinks the R&R selection for the photo is a teaser for what will be future formal-wear style choices. She looks terrific. The dress gives her petite frame a little extra dimension and depth.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:27 PM
Heir Apparent

They looked perfect, the dress was a dream and I need to dream !!!
Old 12-21-2017, 08:28 PM
Majesty

(..) She's had 2 public appearances. Both were well done with lower key appropriate clothing.

LaRae
Old 12-21-2017, 08:30 PM
Courtier

The cost of the gown....well I look at it like this, sure it's her money and she can buy whatever and wear what ever, yet this is not *Hollywood* and the land of make believe that is filled with things and people that I won't mention here. She is marrying into a royal family that has a history that goes back in time, there are traditions and nobody is saying she has to give up her personality here, yet she should be aware of the situation of the family she is marrying into. It is all about respect, even if I had all the money in the world there is no way in hell I would pay 56,000 for a darn gown, that in my book by the designer is called greed. And I am a sewer since childhood, and I know how long it takes to make these type of gowns, I have done hand beading on Spanish lace when I was in fashion design school and that took forever I thought, I do needlework so no designer is ever going to tell me that cost 56,000 whatever is the true cost of making that gown, just add up the fabric and the people that made and I bet my last Popsicle it does not go anywhere near that cost.

The first picture was cute, yet her outfit was not what I would think should be for an engagement photo and Harry needs to learn to dress outside the darn blue suit that makes him look like he is a banker going to work 9/5 each day. Sheer tops are not something I think should be worn in public for a royal, this is not being a celebrity, this is being a royal and I think lots of people are having a hard time telling the 2 different worlds apart. And those 2 worlds can and do collide at times. Meghan is no longer an actress yet she can use some of those skills in being a royal like working with the people and in getting lots of work done in charities where she would know how to connect with people.

The 2nd photo was adorable, that showed their love loud and clear and spot on and really who needs to put Beckman's name out there for more publicity, so it was a nice sweater, no big deal.

(..)

I did not like the gown, sheer with beading on top and tons of ruffles for the skirt screams out at me........to me it was not classy or chic at all and most of all...........this is just MHO here and nothing else and how I view these pictures as we all have very different opinions.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post

Sheer tops are not something I think should be worn in public for a royal,

(..)

we all have very different opinions.
It was lined--she wasn't showing anything.
I wear sheer tops with a tank top or camisole under them to work--and we have a dress code that says no see through tops, meaning I can wear sheer so long as my undergarments or naked torso aren't showing.

(..)

Very, very true.