The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-21-2017, 10:54 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Keep in mind this is from their 2016 collection, we are onto the 2018 collection now. So it's highly unlikely she just went to Ralph and Russo distributor and just bought it the day before those photos. It's very likely this is something a stylist or someone she knows had in stock.
That is my thinking too, but it was still kind of tone deaf to wear this. I rather she had saved this for an actual event than for photos.

I personally love the dress itself. Ralph and Russo are an incredible brand and each piece is handcrafted and stitched in the UK. They are extremely attentive to detail with their pieces and it takes hours and hours to create their gowns. This is a great moment for them, I am sure.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:59 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
My view on this is this is her engagement photo, it's not something they'll ever do again. Just like a wedding dress. So if she wants something that is expensive for those occasions, I have no problem with it. People seems to have an easier time with a wedding dress that costs a lot because it's a one time thing, well, engagement photo aren't exactly an annual thing. So in those situations, I don't really think it's fair to criticize her for the cost of her dress and act somehow others are wronged by her wearing a dress because of its price tag.

And really, she is promoting a UK brand by wearing it.
All I am saying is perception is everything and if people perceive Meghan to be flashy with her wealth that isn't a good look for a member of a family who is supported by the public. You may not think its fair, but it is reality and its a reality Meghan will have to deal with the same as any royal lady/person does. Nothing will ever simply just be a matter of it being "her" engagement photo or "her" wedding. There are expectations, norms and pressures that come with joining this family to contend with too.

I am not trying to find fault with Meghan. I adore her and Harry and love the pictures. I am just being realistic about what they are facing.

But I don't want to go OT anymore and derail the thread so I have said my piece about the cost.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:02 AM
Nobility

I was a little surprised. It’s a bit much to me for an engagement shoot. I agree with others. Even if she owns the dress, why choose that? It’s just my opinion, but it’s too over-the-top especially for a future royal. She does look pretty and they do look very in love. These aren’t my favorite and they don’t necessarily reflect well for Prince Harry or Meghan. I think there’s a balance that can be struck.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
All I am saying is perception is everything and if people perceive Meghan to be flashy with her wealth that isn't a good look for a member of a family who is supported by the public. You may not think its fair, but it is reality and its a reality Meghan will have to deal with the same as any royal lady/person does. Nothing will ever simply just be a matter of it being "her" engagement photo or "her" wedding. There are expectations, norms and pressures that come with joining this family to contend with too.

I am not trying to find fault with Meghan. I adore her and Harry and love the pictures. I am just being realistic about what they are facing.

But I don't want to go OT anymore and derail the thread so I have said my piece about the cost.
Oh I completely understand the idea of perception. My issue with this here is that this is for her wedding and engagement. And not for an official royal family work. If she wishes to spend her hard earned money this way on her own wedding and engagement, I say go for it. I do feel like there are special occasions where in a person's life, they should be able to do harmless things like this if it's what they want. If she tried on different dresses that day, and felt like that's the right dress (come on, ladies, you know the feeling I'm talking about), then that's that.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:08 AM
Nobility

The dress isn’t something I particularly care for but it’s nice. I don’t think it was a good choice for an engagement shoot though. She looked pretty but I didn’t like it.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:11 AM
Aristocracy

The photos with the dress make me think of a couple that has been partying and dancing all night and stayed up to watch the sun come up.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:15 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I can imagine Victoria Beckham and any other designer on earth falling over themselves to lend Meghan clothes at the moment, for whatever purpose. I don't think Meghan does own many expensive outfits of her own.
Yep and also remember she has designer/stylist friends who also have big connections. Meghan herself doesn't have to accept anything but her friends can and they can "lend" it to her on her. These people know how to work loop holes. And trust, these people are happy to send stuff her away knowing the "Markle Sparkle" effect going on right now.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
That is my thinking too, but it was still kind of tone deaf to wear this. I rather she had saved this for an actual event than for photos.

I personally love the dress itself. Ralph and Russo are an incredible brand and each piece is handcrafted and stitched in the UK. They are extremely attentive to detail with their pieces and it takes hours and hours to create their gowns. This is a great moment for them, I am sure.
Considering we had Princess Michael wearing a Blackamoor brooch to the Queen's Christmas lunch, I'd think the offense, if any here is minimal. I mean I know Brexit is causing some anxiety and uncertainty, but we are hardly in a depression or recession here.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:18 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
The photos with the dress make me think of a couple that has been partying and dancing all night and stayed up to watch the sun come up.
I like this thought!
Old 12-21-2017, 11:19 AM
Majesty

Not a fan of the skirt part of the dress. I don't mind the top, everything is covered. I don't care about the price. That's none of my business as long as they aren't spending my money.

LaRae
Old 12-21-2017, 11:23 AM
Nobility

Meghan is an actress and she loves glamour. She won't pretend she doesn't. She has her own money and she can spend it. I am glad she is not suddenly pretending to be something she is not. I don't want her to either.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:25 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Maybe they did but Harry certainly wouldn't wear his tie anymore
Old 12-21-2017, 11:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Man, if I could only look that good after a night of dancing and partying.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:28 AM
Majesty

Not a fan of the skirt part...however folks need to chill about the money. It's a 2 year old dress (collection from 16) ...IF she bought it that was well before Harry, a stylist could of had it in stock and she picked it for the shoot so she may not even own it.

However if she went out and bought it 2 weeks ago, that is her business. Most all of the royal women have and have worn expensive clothing. They aren't going to stop anytime soon.

LaRae
Old 12-21-2017, 11:32 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Man, if I could only look that good after a night of dancing and partying.
That would be the Hollywood version of staying up all night, the version where the couple look only slightly more casual than they did at the beginning of the evening.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:34 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
About the dress. I can think of a very good reason Meghan would have for procuring such a dress. She just used it for her engagement photos first. If she is to be welcomed into the family by attending Christmas Eve dinner at Balmoral this year, its a very formal, white tie occasion and a dress like that is expected to be worn. The price of her clothing doesn't matter to me or how she came about it as I know she very well could have afforded that dress at full price even if she had never set eyes on Harry.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Majesty

Meghans Mirror‏
@MeghansMirror

Sources have shared that Meghan’s gown was not bespoke couture, which indicates it did not cost the reported £56,000. It was also possibly loaned for the purposes of the photoshoot.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

About the dress. I can think of a very good reason Meghan would have for procuring such a dress. She just used it for her engagement photos first. If she is to be welcomed into the family by attending Christmas Eve dinner at Balmoral this year, its a very formal, white tie occasion and a dress like that is expected to be worn. The price of her clothing doesn't matter to me or how she came about it as I know she very well could have afforded that dress at full price even if she had never set eyes on Harry.

Beautiful photos of a very beautiful and in love couple.
I'm not that bothered about the price tag, but I'm a little surprised she chose this dress because of the sheer top. Would that be appropriate to wear to Christmas Eve dinner? She looks great, and if she has the confidence to rock it, wonderful! But that is kind of taking a risk, isn't it?
Old 12-21-2017, 11:37 AM
Nobility

The top of Meghan's dress looks less sheer than the one here:

Meghan Markle Wears Sheer Ralph & Russo Ball Gown in Her Engagement Photo - What Meghan Wearing in Engagement Photos

Scroll down for full length image but the top photo with the 2 side-by-side makes Meghan's look opaque. I wonder if she had it modified specially for her.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:38 AM
Majesty

Time to eat humble pie: it looks like Meghan's dress was couture after all. I hereby resign as fashion correspondent. It was fun while it lasted.

Via Valentine Low