Late Princess Diana's Daytime Fashion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Recycled design, also. Here is a white, blue, and possibly another version. I don't know if the last picture is of the blue dress or a different color. I think there was a red dress with blue lapels but am not sure.

August 4, 1987Feb.2,1988
(L) David Levenson/Getty Images
(R) Tim Graham / Corbis
October 19, 1988
"AP/Wide World Photos" in "P.Diana the Palace Yrs." mag.
1988 Daily Mail Archives

Lady Jean said:
I don't know if the last picture is of the blue dress or a different color. I think there was a red dress with blue lapels but am not sure.

Yes, I think you are right Lady Jean, that the last two pics are of the same dress. I know somewhere I have a colour picture from Apr 12 1988 (your last picture).

I can't think of what you mean by the red dress with blue lapels?? Do you have a general idea of when or where she wore it?

Thanks for straightening that out. I guess a red one with blue lapels is only in my imagination!;)

Excellent work! I never noticed before that those two dresses were made on the same pattern, only in different colors.

Lady Jean said:
Thanks for straightening that out. I guess a red one with blue lapels is only in my imagination!;)

Perhaps you are thinking of the red dress with the white lapels that she wore in Jan 1988 in Australia?

March 20, 1983 (Bob Thomas / Corbis)

April 15, 1983
(L) Tim Graham / Getty Images
(R) David Levenson, in 'Charles and Diana's First Royal Tour."

April 3, 1983
David Levenson,"Charles and Diana's First Royal Tour."

Colour Library Books, "Princess Diana." by Trevor Hall
She liked to mix and match her aqua silk dress and quilted jacket suit.

Diana wore this cream satin bow blouse often, c.1983 - 1985. Then it seems she either gave or lent it to her sister Sarah for their appearance at West Heath in 1987. At this event Sarah is also wearing a seersucker suit of Diana's (as pointed out by TRF member Squidgy in post 59 of "Magazine Covers of the late Diana" thread.)

Sarah wearing the blouse and suit
Tim Graham/Corbis
suit cream blouse
(L)Keystone /Hulton Archive / Getty Images
(R) David Levenson, in "Diana Her Latest Fashions."

Some of the many times Diana wore the blouse:

Tim Graham/Corbis

Keystone/Hulton Archive/Getty Images

Tim Graham/Corbis

David Levenson, in 'Diana Her Latest Fashions."

Tim Graham/Getty Images

Last edited:
Nice pics Lady Jean! She certainly got her money's worth out of most of her blouses. It seems like at any given time, she would have 3 or 4 favourites which she would wear repeatedly for 2 or 3 years, until they were replaced by a new favourite.

Different shirt and pants, but the same cap, same tweed blazer, even the same cowboy boots.1. May 2, 1988, at polo
2. Apr. 25, 1989, taking Harry to school

Both photos: Tim Graham

kwanfan said:
March 14, 1989-Arrival in Kuwait
March 1, 1989-Arrival in the United Arab Emirates
From the UAE tour:
1989 Georges de Keerle / Getty Images

Here is another occasion:
1992 Tim Graham, in Majesty Magazine
I think this same design by Catherine Walker was used for this coatdress:
1989 Tim Graham / Corbis

kwanfan said:
Source: Getty Images
September 23, 1992-Walkabout in Teeside

October 25, 1991-Visit to Canada
I think this is the same design as the pink suit with black hip pockets in the engagements pointed out by Kwanfan:
1992 Royalty Magazine

Here is another suit she wore often:
1989 Tim Graham / Corbis
1992 Tim Graham, in "The Royal Year 1992"

1995 Daily Mail Archives
Here is an evening coat:
1986 Booklet: "The Prince and Princess of Wales On Tour in British Columbia." No indiv. photo credit.
1996 Tim Graham / Corbis / Sygma

Last edited:
Lady Jean,
That is a good eye on the blue jacket!! I had never seen that outfit before.
I love the black and white version of the coatdress. I think she is at a memorial service to a ferry accident and the outfit is so appropriate. The dress is somber but not totally depressing.
Man, I miss her. Can you imagine what FUN we would be having if she was out and about every day? I would never finish college because I would be on the Web all the time!;)
Tenngirl

Lady Jean said:
The jacket was also worn at Wimbledon 1981, and on April 21, 1983 in New Zealand (info courtesy of RF members Tenngirl and Squidgy)

Here is a nice view of when she wore the pink quilted jacket to Wimbledon in 1981. She is with her sister Sarah. I think Diana looks so pretty here.
STARE, in Majesty mag.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the reason that she wore it was because she was so tall. She did not want to tower even more over her hosts so she and Catherine Walker came up with this idea.

Has anyone else heard this???

I have seen thousands of pictures of Diana but never with the face veil and it wasn't that flattering. IMO.

there are so much pictures of Diana and the most are pretty she was very modisch and all of there clotches she looks very well !!

sara1981 said:
i read magazine when Diana died and Diana wores twice same sweatshirt as British Lung Foundation in 1989 and 1997
While they may have been the same type of BLF logo sweatshirts, I don't think anyone knows for sure if it was the exact same sweatshirt. As a patron of the organization, she could have been given new ones over the years.

1. July 18, 1992-Wedding of Helen Windsor and Tim Taylor (Getty Images)

2. June 16, 1992-Royal Ascot (Corbis)

3. May 9, 1993-Visiting Princess of Wales Royal Regiment (Topfoto)

1. October 12, 1993-Performance of "La Boheme" in aid of British Red Cross (Topfoto)

2. July 19, 1993-Reopening of the Savoy Theater (Corbis)

Last edited by a moderator:
1. May 8, 1991-In the Czech Republic (Getty Images)

2. May 8, 1990-Visiting Hungary (Getty Images)

3. June 20, 1990-Royal Ascot (Getty Images)

4. October 5, 1990-Visit to the USA (Getty Images)

5. October 12, 1990-Service for Fire Brigade Veterans (Getty Images)

6. June 24, 1992-Visit to Kingston Upon Hull (Corbis)

1. June 14, 1986-Trooping the Colour (Getty Images)

2. May 9, 1986-Tour of Japan (Getty Images)

3. July 21, 1989-Visit to the Royal College of Art (Getty Images)

1. May 9, 1989-Welcoming the Nigerian President (Mirrorpix)

2. March 13, 1989-Audience with the Kuwaiti Emir (Getty Images)

1. November 10, 1989-Visit to Hong Kong (Getty Images)

2. June 19, 1990-Royal Ascot (Getty Images)

3. February 11, 1992-Visit to India (Getty Images)

Diana wore this suit at least two times - on Dec. 6th 1983 (thanks Canadiana for the date:flowers:), and on Mar. 4 1985.

Finally, it showed up on Apr. 1 1992 at her father's funeral. This time her sister Sarah was wearing it.

Photos: Majesty, New Idea, Hola

Squidgy said:
Diana wore this suit at least two times - on Dec. 6th 1983 (thanks Canadiana for the date:flowers:), and on Mar. 4 1985.
Finally, it showed up on Apr. 1 1992 at her father's funeral. This time her sister Sarah was wearing it.
Wow, Squidgy! You have outdone yourself!

Diana wore the Catherine Walker pink suit with purple lapels to the Garter Service in 1991. She wore the hat backwards that day - the bow in front. You don't find many photos of that day but I wanted to add it to kwanfan's list.

Thanks a lot kwfan for posting all those great pics - and especially the one of Diana's green gown in your post # 148 as I don't remember having ever seen this one before.
I believe the designer must have been Bruce Oldfield who also designed Diana's famous backless silver lamé dress.
I realize that everybody is likely to join in bashing this kind of overblown 80's style these days, but then... Diana somehow managed to pull it off. Big shoulders, big hair, a dress looking as if it was made for a 'Dynasty' episode - and the overall image is still smashing.
Later, Diana followed the new doctrine of 'minimal chic' just as well (the Victor Edelstein red dress from post # 142 is just timeless, one of my all-time favorites), but in spite of those who ridicule the 80's style in general, I'd say that this kind of 'power dressing' was actually quite fascinating too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom