Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie's Fashion & Style Part 8: February 2017- June 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking the same thing Moonmaiden23!

I like the yellow & white outfit a lot too, now that I have seen a full length picture.

I think Stephanie needs better foundation garments. She's a lovely woman, and a professional bra fitting could really benefit her.

Happy to see a full pic of the yellow? Confirms my earlier like of it :flowers:

I quite like the black and white. Pretty dress and earrings. I even like the ciat but the arms need shortening.

:previous:
In comparison with the previous ensembles, this particular one is all right.

She is not a fashion figure. She is a lovely and well accomplished person.

Hi COUNTESS! I was thinking of you recently and wondering when we would see you on the Forum again.:)

I agree with COUNTESS!!! She may not be as fashionable as the other CP's but it's not her job to look like she just she just finished a Vogue fashion shoot.

She doesn't have to be fashionable, just look as though her unfashionable clothes fit well and she has the proper foundation garments. The black and white dress was an improvement over the wide pants, but the black coat was about two sizes too large. The sleeves are so long you can barely see her hands.
The duke,s face looks very red in the photos, I wonder if it is sunburn or something else.

She is not a fashion figure. She is a lovely and well accomplished person.

Agree 100%. :flowers: I think people are too caught up in how clothes photograph. That's a job in itself to get all the 'bits' right for the camera in any and all lighting conditions, etc. It's not as easy (or quick) as some may think. It's time consuming, seriously. I find Stephanie a breath of fresh air, like from an older time. Love her! :wub:

I agree with COUNTESS!!! She may not be as fashionable as the other CP's but it's not her job to look like she just she just finished a Vogue fashion shoot.
Absolutely agree. The previous generation of Royals was this way. Properly dressed, according to circumstances, but not fashion catwalk oriented. Stéphanie is like this, classy, nice and doing her task. And her task is not fashion. Full stop.

Nobody has she has to be a clothes horse, but one can expect from a royal to wear clothes that fit - even more so since the taxpayer pays for them - and look neat not if as just rolled out of bed etc etc. There have been various occasions where Stephanie didn't even meet such creteria, we've been here before.

Nobody has she has to be a clothes horse, but one can expect from a royal to wear clothes that fit - even more so since the taxpayer pays for them - and look neat not if as just rolled out of bed etc etc. There have been various occasions where Stephanie didn't even meet such creteria, we've been here before.

Sounds unpleasant phrased that way. :cool: I assume you mean that the royal is paid a salary out of which the royal person purchases clothes? Audrey Hepburn she is not, but even Hepburn hit some misses and kept with the misses all her life. Everyone is themselves. We should honor that, and prize Stephanie's uniqueness. JMO.

It's impossible to address all the layers of your post but just to say no one owns anyone. Stephanie is unique, like several royal men are unique and who do not get the upset that Stephanie seems to get around the same issue of clothing. Double standard looks like to me. Would you agree?

Last edited:
As people are quick to defend Kate on her clothes spending, pointing out its not tax payer money, same goes for Stephanie. The Lux royaks get one if not the smallest stipend of European royals. And it covers visits like castle upkeep, travel, and more. Money for her questionable wardrobe, like that of Kate, comes from the extensive personal wealth.

Now if the people of their country want to complain they aren't doing enough work. Or doing a bad job representing them. Then the people of Luxembourg can certainly complain about how their tax money is spent.

We only discuss fashion here, not the capability of a person. For me Stephanie is one of the worst dressed royals, very often wearing badly fitted clothes, making unfortunate choices of outfits for the events she attends, including hairstyles.
My opinion is nothing out of the blue since Stephanie's choices and the discussions about them are well documented in the fashion threads.
Regarding the taxpayers comment - I would expect royals whose institution is being state-funded to attend events properly dressed and there have been occasions in the past when in my opinion Stephanie has not hit the mark but appeared in outfits that I would not chose to wear at my workplace.
Not sure what you mean about double standards? Men usually wear suits to their events - of course there is a difference between let's say Prince Charles and Prince Frederik but with suits it's not so obvious as an ill-fitting frumpy women's outfit and women, especially those in the public eye, are unfortunate enough these days to be judged mainly for how they look and what they wear.

I would expect royals whose institution is being state-funded to attend events properly dressed and there have been occasions in the past when in my opinion Stephanie has not hit the mark but appeared in outfits that I would not chose to wear at my workplace.

I think our judgement may be highly subjective. :cool: I have looked at dresses worn by royals, both formal and informal, that garner raves because the clothes are viewed as 'modern', cutting-edge, when all I see is a mess (which I refrain from saying because it's really not my call imo). Stephanie doesn't come anywhere near the 'messes' I see happening on a routine bases elsewhere. She is fine imo. [Plus there is the significant issue of people judging a dress when it is really a picture they are judging: lighting, angle, etc.]

And as for the workplace, for sure there is rigidity there. While I believe in rigorous personal hygiene, all else is personal taste and 'should not' matter.

Not sure what you mean about double standards? Men usually wear suits to their events - of course there is a difference between let's say Prince Charles and Prince Frederik but with suits it's not so obvious as an ill-fitting frumpy women's outfit and women, especially those in the public eye, are unfortunate enough these days to be judged mainly for how they look and what they wear.

Well, you have an opportunity to not so do here on TRF. :flowers: Don't judge a woman by how she looks or what she wears. Be progressive.

Part of being a royal is about how you present yourself to the public...you have to uphold the family image/name. Commenting that her clothing is often ill fitting or not well thought it is not making judgement on her as a person...it's stating what you think about how she appears in public settings in regards to her clothing.

We have fashion threads on all the royals in order to talk about how they present themselves.

LaRae

Has the citizen of Luxembourg complained of how Stephanie dresses? So far there hasn't been an uproar, otherwise we'd know. Outside of fit and the style of the pants that she wears, I think Stephanie is fine. As much as I love seeing the clothes that CP Mary, Queen Maxima and Kate wears, that's them. I don't expect Stephanie to wear anything that they wear.

:previous: I get that. As you know full well I frequently do. I am one of her biggest critics especially in pants.

I was responding to comments that she is spending tax payer money on clothes. And that tax payers have the right to complain how their money is being spent. Tax payers may have a lot to complain about but her clothes are not one of them. The same people who defend Kate clothing spending as it is their private funds, don't seem to extend that to Stephanie.

By all means critique her clothes. I sure as heck do. But it has nothing to do with taxes. If tax payers want to complain how money is spent, wrong thread.

This is about her clothes, not what she is like none of us know her. We can only discuss her style or lack of one. She is royal there fore she should look the part we have no idea what the people of Luxembourg think as we don't hear from them.

She has the money too look much better than she does. Clothes that fit would go a long way in helping her appearance.

Her clothes are either too long and loose or too tight and short. A tailor could fix these problems , even if she continues to dress older than she is her clothes can look much better.

:previous:excellent summary. She doesn't have to be fashionable, just well groomed. Since this is a fashion thread, and all we are discussing is her appearance and the clothes she wears, it is perfectly acceptable to say that she dresses like a woman twenty years older, that her clothed are ill fitting, and that her mother in law has a better appearance than she. All of these comments have been made over and over again by many members. For some reason, some members seem to attribute all kinds of attributes to her often careless regard for her public appearances

I think Stephanie has one of the sweetest smiles in the business however that does not compensate for her strangely ill-fitting wardrobe. I find myself applauding every time she hits the mark but, to be honest, she's hitting it less and less, when it should by now be more and more.

To make things worse, it seems she is using a hairdresser less and less and it is not a good look at all. Her hair on the last tour was a disaster with flyaway bits around her face whereas it used to be her one big saving grace. Her gorgeous day and evening updos as well as wearing her hair loose made for an immaculate finish, as indeed did her makeup.

Thanks MARG . I saw her at the late Queen Fabiola's Funeral. She has a Porcelain skin. She is not as Kate , Madeleine, Tessy etc..
She is coming from a belgian old nobility Family, where Fashion was the most important.

(..)

What's frustrating is that her assets...beautiful legs, an incomparable complexion, great head of hair and a dazzlingly sweet smile, are not being shown to advantage.

I do not think she is a complete disaster at fashion-more like hit and miss. And since this IS a fashion thread people are going to comment obviously.

But the thing about Stephanie is that her fashion sense is the only area where I don't give her rave reviews. As a young woman I find her very impressive in general. She appears calm and self possessed beyond her years and she is obviously extremely bright, well read and cultured. She doesn't show off, rip off the tax payers by spending frivolously, or have a family or a background that needs to be covered up or straight up lied about because it's so unseemly. Her husband seems to adore her.

As I posted earlier, none of her school mates or contemporaries have come forth to report incidents of unkind or arrogant behavior either before or since her grand wedding.

All those things(to me at least)more than make up for lackluster fashion sense .

Last edited by a moderator:
Many good points has already been made here. One that I agree with is that it's very strange that her clothes (and sometimes also underwear of different kind) seems to be not fitted to suit her. It's one thing to not care that much about fashion. Not everyone is into that (I'm usually one of them), and that's fine. But to wear things that seem strange, like big and baggy pants or coats that seem to be too tight, that's puzzling to me. There is no question that there are tailoring resources available. I have no idea why she doesn't use them. But as others have said, she seems to be a very sound and nice person, so she gets away with a lot of things just because she is who she is.

As always we don't discuss weight issues here! Please stay on topic of this thread, which is fashion only, further off-topic posts and comments will be removed!

From what I can see of the dress, it looks nice. Yellow is a good color on her and the flared sleeves are lovely.

I love Stephanie's hair when she wears the side sweep pony tail, very youthful and pretty.:)

The yellow dress with flared sleeves is perfect for spring. Her husband seems to have matched her with his tie.

Also, this is the first time I can remember seeing her in wedge heels!

Last edited:
The dress is a beautiful color and I love the sleeves :flowers:

Her hair is wonderful in the side swept look :)

Maybe it's the photo, but the skirt does seem a tad short here, especially at a baptism in the Vatican. Maybe just me or angle.

Maybe, just maybe, she's not comfortable with herself and being in the spotlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom