The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-08-2016, 02:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
to me, it does. it signals to me that clothes to her are not as important as the work she does, so that to me reflects confidence in her abilities and her position. she could hire a stylist any minute - yet chooses to dedicate her time, efforts and attention to things that are more important.
I agree. If Stéphanie was really bothered about her clothing, she could have done something about it a long time ago. Clearly, she doesn't mind some level of tightness or looseness. Her inconsistency is clear from the official engagement photos: nice DvF dress, sack dress, and then...a curious mix of pretty lace jacket+longer shirt+wide pants.

Stéphanie wore a color block dress to the inauguration of the youth center Marienthal on July 8th:

https://luxgov.s3.amazonaws.com/prod...e354b4c5cf.jpg

http://images.newmedia.lu/rtl.lu/cms...efba6ba2e8.jpg

Old 07-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisma View Post
This is one of her best looks.
The pants really look good on her and this style flatters her better then slim or straight cut. The top was a good fit and the colors looked good on her.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
I find it interesting that many posters think that because Stephanie often dresses in a frumpy, ill fitting way,this somehow indicates she is true to herself and comfortable in her own skin?? I would argue the total opposite is the case, of course none of us know how she really feels. But she seems to take stabs at all different types of clothes, inconsistent, which to me is someone who is not comfortable or confident, just searching. She strikes me as rarely seeming comfortable in her clothes and trying all sorts of things. That is why it always seems worse to me when she is with her sisters in law. They seem confident in what they are wearing
I agree that Stephanie is obviously uncomfortable with haute couture and fashion. It's painfully obvious at times. But there is a difference between not being comfortable attempting to wear clothes well and being comfortable with who you are as a person, a big difference. She has not altered her aquiline nose nor adjusted her face with Botox or suspected surgery. She has not dieted down to skeletal proportions. There are a couple of married-in Royal females who are nearly unrecognizable now from what they looked like before marriage.

My opinion is that those are women who are/were not confident with themselves.

I strongly suspect she is not 100% comfortable in the spotlight but has no real self-esteem issues. I once watched her give in an interview during a documentary on Grand Duchess Charlotte. She spoke of her family the de Lannoys with obvious pride, appeared delighted at their possible connection with the American Delanos.(Family of FDR) She always seems eager to discussion her interest in Russian literature, her favorite authors, etc.

Not at all someone who is uncomfortable in her skin, just uncomfortable in the role of fashionista princess that the public now demands from married-ins.

As for taking fashion adviCe from her sisters-in-law, I am not sure. Claire is tall and pretty but is just as fashion inconsistent as Stephanie is, same for Alexandra and Tessy.

Why would she want to imitate them?

ETA: ITA with whoever said those wide-legged pants need to be burned. They are the PITS.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:33 PM
Courtier

Better photos of the youth center Marienthal visit:

https://blobsvc.wort.lu/picture/1f9e...4167b07f7d569f

https://blobsvc.wort.lu/picture/2551...f4b5b360702144

https://blobsvc.wort.lu/picture/6ce5...b5cc37eab64a42
Old 07-08-2016, 06:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
to me, it does. it signals to me that clothes to her are not as important as the work she does, so that to me reflects confidence in her abilities and her position. she could hire a stylist any minute - yet chooses to dedicate her time, efforts and attention to things that are more important.
Well, there are plenty of royal women who devote lots of time, effort and attention to the work they do- but they also make time to look well-groomed and pulled together. Whatever high level job a person may have, presenting a polished appearance is important, whether man or woman.
Luckily for Stephanie, she is lovely and likeable. But will she still look sloppy when she is the Grand Duchess?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-08-2016, 11:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Well, there are plenty of royal women who devote lots of time, effort and attention to the work they do- but they also make time to look well-groomed and pulled together. Whatever high level job a person may have, presenting a polished appearance is important, whether man or woman.
Luckily for Stephanie, she is lovely and likeable. But will she still look sloppy when she is the Grand Duchess?
Thank you for articulating Better what I was trying to say. Just because you are sloppy and don't care to spend the time or effort to look well, whether it is hiring a stylist or phoning a tailor or even, looking in a full length mirror, doesn't mean you care more about your job than the woman who does. You don't see queen elizabeth going around with tight clothing, wrinkled, etc. or meeting with the Pope in a miniskirt.
To me, her job entails looking groomed and appropriate, that is possibly half the job description. She doesn't have to look like a runway model. But to look sloppy and frumpy doesn't make you better at your job. I did not say she should look to her sil for advice, only that next to them, in their confident looks, she always looks less confident.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:09 AM
Heir Apparent

I like the striped Natan top. The color is great on her, it fits and the style is lovely. I am embracing a new mantra, ignore her trousers when the rest is good, or I will go nuts. Though these trousers are better than her black

I really liked the color block dress,the simple hair, and earrings.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:24 AM
Majesty

OK, Stephanie has a tendency to dress like a woman decades older and her choices are not always flattering. However, I totally disagree with those calling her "sloppy". She is not! Her hair, makeup, jewellry and shoes have always been beautifully superior and totally appropriate for her engagements.

There is a difference between being fashion challenged to being a hot mess!
Old 07-10-2016, 08:05 AM
Serene Highness

There have been occasions when she has been a hot mess. I think the way your clothes fit look on you can be considered a hot mess.

Look at Princess Anne we know she doesn't care about fashion and never will , but her clothes are tailored and fit properly . I may not like a lot of what she wears but she is never sloppy.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess carmen View Post
There have been occasions when she has been a hot mess. I think the way your clothes fit look on you can be considered a hot mess.

Look at Princess Anne we know she doesn't care about fashion and never will , but her clothes are tailored and fit properly . I may not like a lot of what she wears but she is never sloppy.
That's it in a nutshell. It has nothing to do with fashion, per se - it has to do with whether you are presentable (does the clothing fit, is is tailored, it is wrinkled, it is suitable to the time and place), and if not, why in the world, not? Her job is to be a representative of Luxembourg - and your presentation is part of that job. I don't think it's self-absorption for a person in such a role to tell one of her staff, "make sure my clothing is ironed," or "can we get a tailor in to take a look at my ensembles?"

Now, I don't really consider Stephanie to be a "hot mess" (I really have to reserve the Hot Mess title for Mette Marit who is the only one I can think of who really looks inappropriate at times) but sometimes her presentation is "not quite right". I think they all have issues with wrinkled materials from time to time (some much more than other.)
Old 07-10-2016, 06:37 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Stephanie's latest blue dress is not really my cup of tea, but it's different from what she usually wears and she looks nice in it. The dress is more youthful than her normal choices, and that's one of the reasons why I like it on her.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-11-2016, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
That's it in a nutshell. It has nothing to do with fashion, per se - it has to do with whether you are presentable (does the clothing fit, is is tailored, it is wrinkled, it is suitable to the time and place), and if not, why in the world, not? Her job is to be a representative of Luxembourg - and your presentation is part of that job. I don't think it's self-absorption for a person in such a role to tell one of her staff, "make sure my clothing is ironed," or "can we get a tailor in to take a look at my ensembles
I agree with both of you exactly. And, careless would be a better word than sloppy. Nobody quibbles with her hair or even makeup or jewelry, she does care about those. It is her clothes that are too careless
Princess Anne does not seem to care at all about her hair, too bad, but it is neat. She does not seem to care at all about makeup, but will wear lipstick. She does enough to keep,the focus OFF her appearance, unlike Stephanie who draws attention to herself because of wrinkled, too tight, short, loose clothing.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:19 PM
Nobility

Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie in Poland for the 2016 World Youth Day on July 23:
http://ocdn.eu/images/pulscms/MmI7MD...74b3aa637.jpeg
http://ocdn.eu/images/pulscms/MWU7MD...fd8382497.jpeg
http://ocdn.eu/images/pulscms/NTQ7MD...45ce21410.jpeg
Old 07-23-2016, 09:41 PM
Heir Apparent

I want to like it...but it's just okay.

LaRae
Old 07-23-2016, 09:51 PM
Nobility

I think she looks beautiful in this dress. The colors and print suit her. It fits well.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I want to like it...but it's just okay.

LaRae

Yes I would like to say something nice about it but really I think it's horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-23-2016, 10:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Is it exciting or fashionable? No. But fits, the colors are nice and hair well groomed. Not fan of the print, but not the ill fitted or matronly looks she often sports.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:29 AM
Courtier

The dress is nice and fitting although I dislike the print. Lackluster hair in some photos. Maybe it was fine at the beginning and became tangled/messy as the event progressed.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:46 AM
Aristocracy

That print. No, just no. She's so lovely and could really do with a stylist.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-24-2016, 03:25 AM
Heir Apparent

She is so sweet! Lovely hair but this dress just don't .

Tags
hereditary grand duchess stéphanie, hereditary grand duchess stéphanie's fashion & style, princess stephanie, princess stéphanie's daytime outfits, princess stéphanie's evening gowns, princess stéphanie's fashion & style