Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie's Fashion & Style Part 7:June 2016 - February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A red dress for Stéphanie's rose baptism on July 5th. Great color and hopefully better photos turn up. Hair looks lovely. The HGD couple has two other events today.

http://www.monarchie.lu/pictures/photos/actualites/2016/07/05072016-rose/20160705_161906.jpg

http://images.newmedia.lu/rtl2008.lu/nt/p/2016/07/05/18/cbba7b7bd3aeffe54b691865503a2c02.jpeg

She looks great! That is such a lobby color on her and strong enough to not wash her out. I like her hair do and her make up. I hope to see a full view of the look.

I think Stephanie's red dress is gorgeous, and I find red to be a rather appropriate colour for a baptism of a rose. :) I like how her shoes are a darker red too, and her hair is nice.

Her hair is perfection in those photos, and that color is great on Stephanie.

She is definitely a bit of a frump, but I find her more interesting by far than her sleeker and more fashionable counterparts and I also simply like her more than the others, with Princess Charlene coming in second.

Go figure:cool:.

Last edited:
She looks beautiful. I prefer it without the coat, coat looks a bit boxy when walking, but still great look for her. The color is fantastic and her hair looks stunning. :flowers:

her hair looks great and the color is fantastic but the clothes are again just terrible. The belt is heavy and awful, the jacket is extremely unattractive and this is summer after all, what a heavy jacket, another style covering the arms would have worked. what a shame. I keep waiting for it to get better,for her to spend her money wisely, but she is throwing her money on clothes away

:previous: I think waiting for her to change is pointless.:lol:

With the exception of the heady days after the wedding when my hopes were raised by seeing her stratospheric bridal appearance, I have come to accept that there are well dressed, stylish European princesses and then there is Stephanie de Lannoy, and that's the way it is. There are others I can enjoy on that level;).

I do think Stephanie has looked stunning on occasion in the 3+ years since her wedding, but unless she hits her stride in later years she will continue to be hit/miss with her clothes.

Fortunately for Stephanie, her husband and the Luxembourgers seem perfectly content with her as she is.

Last edited:
Her hair is perfection in those photos, and that color is great on Stephanie.

She is definitely a bit of a frump, but I find her more interesting by far than her sleeker and more fashionable counterparts and I also simply like her more than the others, with Princess Charlene coming in second.

Go figure:cool:.

I find her more interesting because she is unpredictable although I hope she finds some consistency. :flowers:

her hair looks great and the color is fantastic but the clothes are again just terrible. The belt is heavy and awful, the jacket is extremely unattractive and this is summer after all, what a heavy jacket, another style covering the arms would have worked. what a shame. I keep waiting for it to get better,for her to spend her money wisely, but she is throwing her money on clothes away

I don't find the jacket that heavy and the temperature in Luxembourg has been between 60s to mid-70s F. The building is probably air conditioned too.

The red outfit is o.k the jacket doesn't look heavy to me. I think also we need to remember that just because it is summer it is not hot everywhere.

:previous: I think waiting for her to change is pointless.:lol:

With the exception of the heady days after the wedding when my hopes were raised by seeing her stratospheric bridal appearance, I have come to accept that there are well dressed, stylish European princesses and then there is Stephanie de Lannoy, and that's the way it is. There are others I can enjoy on that level;).

I do think Stephanie has looked stunning on occasion in the 3+ years since her wedding, but unless she hits her stride in later years she will continue to be hit/miss with her clothes.

Fortunately for Stephanie, her husband and the Luxembourgers seem perfectly content with her as she is.

Even though I occasionally criticize Stephanie's wardrobe, I give her so much credit for not caring what others expect and wearing what makes her feel confident. She appears to be doing just fine, since after the three-plus years, there have been no drastic changes in her attire choices. More than likely, if it was unacceptable, someone would have said something to her. The days of being fearful of losing one's head over expressing an honest opinion to a royal are long gone. As for her red dress, I think it's a good choice for the engagement. The jacket and belt are not to my liking, but that's OK. Her hair looks very nice too.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

She looks smart and the colour is lovely on her, she has beautiful glossy hair. She's never going to be a fashion plate but that's ok. My pet hate is those wide legged trousers she prefers but clearly they work for her...

Even though I occasionally criticize Stephanie's wardrobe, I give her so much credit for not caring what others expect and wearing what makes her feel confident. She appears to be doing just fine, since after the three-plus years, there have been no drastic changes in her attire choices. More than likely, if it was unacceptable, someone would have said something to her. The days of being fearful of losing one's head over expressing an honest opinion to a royal are long gone. As for her red dress, I think it's a good choice for the engagement. The jacket and belt are not to my liking, but that's OK. Her hair looks very nice too.

great point - and i agree. i admire that she stays true to herself wearing what she thinks is good for her, and not falling for futile fashions. after all, she always looks formal and professional, despite whether we like what she is wearing or not.

There's a lot to be said for Stephanie being comfortable in her own skin. Would I love her to wear drop dead fashion - yes, but somehow I don't think that is who Stephanie is.

I love her red ensemble but agree the coat is a little boxy. Her hair however, is an absolute dream. I love that updo's abound with her wardrobe and she isn't shy about wearing lovely earrings.

I find it interesting that many posters think that because Stephanie often dresses in a frumpy, ill fitting way,this somehow indicates she is true to herself and comfortable in her own skin?? I would argue the total opposite is the case, of course none of us know how she really feels. But she seems to take stabs at all different types of clothes, inconsistent, which to me is someone who is not comfortable or confident, just searching. She strikes me as rarely seeming comfortable in her clothes and trying all sorts of things. That is why it always seems worse to me when she is with her sisters in law. They seem confident in what they are wearing

The top is cute...the pants should be burned.

LaRae

The colors,are pretty but you really couldn't have designed an outfit, horizontal stripes, pleated waist, wide trousers, better to make someone appear bigger than they are.

I like the top but the trousers are awful.

I find it interesting that many posters think that because Stephanie often dresses in a frumpy, ill fitting way,this somehow indicates she is true to herself and comfortable in her own skin??

to me, it does. it signals to me that clothes to her are not as important as the work she does, so that to me reflects confidence in her abilities and her position. she could hire a stylist any minute - yet chooses to dedicate her time, efforts and attention to things that are more important.

The red dress divine colour but the cut is too horrible on her .. the dress looks too big and too short IMO pity !!!

to me, it does. it signals to me that clothes to her are not as important as the work she does, so that to me reflects confidence in her abilities and her position. she could hire a stylist any minute - yet chooses to dedicate her time, efforts and attention to things that are more important.

I agree. If Stéphanie was really bothered about her clothing, she could have done something about it a long time ago. Clearly, she doesn't mind some level of tightness or looseness. Her inconsistency is clear from the official engagement photos: nice DvF dress, sack dress, and then...a curious mix of pretty lace jacket+longer shirt+wide pants.

Stéphanie wore a color block dress to the inauguration of the youth center Marienthal on July 8th:

https://luxgov.s3.amazonaws.com/pro...12139b187fa27dc74268d723c7111b7e354b4c5cf.jpg

http://images.newmedia.lu/rtl.lu/cm...2//1024//80ca3b5673c84bd865771fefba6ba2e8.jpg

This is one of her best looks.
The pants really look good on her and this style flatters her better then slim or straight cut. The top was a good fit and the colors looked good on her.

I find it interesting that many posters think that because Stephanie often dresses in a frumpy, ill fitting way,this somehow indicates she is true to herself and comfortable in her own skin?? I would argue the total opposite is the case, of course none of us know how she really feels. But she seems to take stabs at all different types of clothes, inconsistent, which to me is someone who is not comfortable or confident, just searching. She strikes me as rarely seeming comfortable in her clothes and trying all sorts of things. That is why it always seems worse to me when she is with her sisters in law. They seem confident in what they are wearing

I agree that Stephanie is obviously uncomfortable with haute couture and fashion. It's painfully obvious at times. But there is a difference between not being comfortable attempting to wear clothes well and being comfortable with who you are as a person, a big difference. She has not altered her aquiline nose nor adjusted her face with Botox or suspected surgery. She has not dieted down to skeletal proportions. There are a couple of married-in Royal females who are nearly unrecognizable now from what they looked like before marriage.

My opinion is that those are women who are/were not confident with themselves.

I strongly suspect she is not 100% comfortable in the spotlight but has no real self-esteem issues. I once watched her give in an interview during a documentary on Grand Duchess Charlotte. She spoke of her family the de Lannoys with obvious pride, appeared delighted at their possible connection with the American Delanos.(Family of FDR) She always seems eager to discussion her interest in Russian literature, her favorite authors, etc.

Not at all someone who is uncomfortable in her skin, just uncomfortable in the role of fashionista princess that the public now demands from married-ins.

As for taking fashion adviCe from her sisters-in-law, I am not sure. Claire is tall and pretty but is just as fashion inconsistent as Stephanie is, same for Alexandra and Tessy.

Why would she want to imitate them?:sad:

ETA: ITA with whoever said those wide-legged pants need to be burned. They are the PITS.

Last edited:

Well, there are plenty of royal women who devote lots of time, effort and attention to the work they do- but they also make time to look well-groomed and pulled together. Whatever high level job a person may have, presenting a polished appearance is important, whether man or woman.
Luckily for Stephanie, she is lovely and likeable. But will she still look sloppy when she is the Grand Duchess?

Well, there are plenty of royal women who devote lots of time, effort and attention to the work they do- but they also make time to look well-groomed and pulled together. Whatever high level job a person may have, presenting a polished appearance is important, whether man or woman.
Luckily for Stephanie, she is lovely and likeable. But will she still look sloppy when she is the Grand Duchess?
Thank you for articulating Better what I was trying to say. Just because you are sloppy and don't care to spend the time or effort to look well, whether it is hiring a stylist or phoning a tailor or even, looking in a full length mirror, doesn't mean you care more about your job than the woman who does. You don't see queen elizabeth going around with tight clothing, wrinkled, etc. or meeting with the Pope in a miniskirt.
To me, her job entails looking groomed and appropriate, that is possibly half the job description. She doesn't have to look like a runway model. But to look sloppy and frumpy doesn't make you better at your job. I did not say she should look to her sil for advice, only that next to them, in their confident looks, she always looks less confident.

I like the striped Natan top. The color is great on her, it fits and the style is lovely. I am embracing a new mantra, ignore her trousers when the rest is good, or I will go nuts. Though these trousers are better than her black :flowers:

I really liked the color block dress,the simple hair, and earrings. :)

OK, Stephanie has a tendency to dress like a woman decades older and her choices are not always flattering. However, I totally disagree with those calling her "sloppy". She is not! Her hair, makeup, jewellry and shoes have always been beautifully superior and totally appropriate for her engagements.

There is a difference between being fashion challenged to being a hot mess! :bang:

There have been occasions when she has been a hot mess. I think the way your clothes fit look on you can be considered a hot mess.

Look at Princess Anne we know she doesn't care about fashion and never will , but her clothes are tailored and fit properly . I may not like a lot of what she wears but she is never sloppy.

There have been occasions when she has been a hot mess. I think the way your clothes fit look on you can be considered a hot mess.

Look at Princess Anne we know she doesn't care about fashion and never will , but her clothes are tailored and fit properly . I may not like a lot of what she wears but she is never sloppy.

That's it in a nutshell. It has nothing to do with fashion, per se - it has to do with whether you are presentable (does the clothing fit, is is tailored, it is wrinkled, it is suitable to the time and place), and if not, why in the world, not? Her job is to be a representative of Luxembourg - and your presentation is part of that job. I don't think it's self-absorption for a person in such a role to tell one of her staff, "make sure my clothing is ironed," or "can we get a tailor in to take a look at my ensembles?"

Now, I don't really consider Stephanie to be a "hot mess" (I really have to reserve the Hot Mess title for Mette Marit who is the only one I can think of who really looks inappropriate at times) but sometimes her presentation is "not quite right". I think they all have issues with wrinkled materials from time to time (some much more than other.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom