Fashion for the little royals Part 6: April 2014 - December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Little George is so adorable and his outfit is quite sweet, but it is a little on the old fashioned side for me. It reminds me of little boy's outifts from WWII, I think it's the shorts that do it for me. Little boys nowadays generally don't wear these particular style of shorts (the more fashionable look for boys of George's age in England is rugby shirts and jeans) so I guess they are just unfamiliar for me.

George's jumper is from Cath Kidston and it's already sold out, though they are planning to make more of them, meaning that it might be in stores again: Prince George's sold-out Christmas tank top 'could go on sale again' - Telegraph

Thanks a lot for the links. :flowers: Princesses Elisabeth and Eleonore looked wonderful, I love Eleonore's coat in particular.

LOL Little boy attire in the UK and the US isn't that different after all. With warmer temps in California though I'd have used a polo shirt for my son.

As for George's traditional outfit, I'm not surprised that he's dressed that way. The BRF children have been wearing outfits like his for decades. Even James and Louise wear outfits today that their older cousins would have worn in the 1980's.

The Belgian royal children are usually dressed in similar looking outfits for these occasions so I wasn't surprised to see what Phillipe, Astrid, and Laurent's children were wearing for the funeral.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Little boy attire in the UK and the US isn't that different after all. With warmer temps in California though I'd have used a polo shirt for my son.

As for George's traditional outfit, I'm not surprised that he's dressed that way. The BRF children have been wearing outfits like his for decades. Even James and Louise wear outfits today that their older cousins would have worn in the 1980's.

Well you are 100% correct in reference to little boy's outfits, but not necessary for formal photos. I thought it was a great outfit on George as it is quite the ticket to now dress in vintage clothes. All upscale stores in Chicago, New York and Dallas are reverting to styles of the 40, 50 and 60s. Women are once again very classy and men the suit/sweater vests and top coats in winter. Everything old is certainly new again. Just wish they were the same prices as years ago. I guess some TV shows have made there mark in clothes.

You are right about the BRF wearing those outfits. It's a upper class/aristocracy thing - all the boys wear clothes like that. As you said we still see James wearing similar clothes as his cousins from the 80's and he is a child of the 2000's. James in a vest jumper and shirt + James in shorts and buckle shoes

I am sure George will wear something similar but it's the norm for the upper class.

I liked George's jumper and shirt but not a fan of the knee high socks but if it works for them then why not.

I like the coats on the Belgian royal children - Gabriel and Emmanuel's coats were lovely and very appropriate.

I love the way George is dressed. Boys in shorts and knee high socks are just amazing.

Royals-They don't need no stinkin' fads and trends for the children :)....If it worked for great grandpa or grandma it works for baby :) practical and serviceable clothes that wear well to just be kids in; When they grow up they can have the pretty gowns and nice suits with bling.

Last edited:
Little George is so adorable and his outfit is quite sweet, but it is a little on the old fashioned side for me. It reminds me of little boy's outifts from WWII, I think it's the shorts that do it for me. Little boys nowadays generally don't wear these particular style of shorts (the more fashionable look for boys of George's age in England is rugby shirts and jeans) so I guess they are just unfamiliar for me.

George's jumper is from Cath Kidston and it's already sold out, though they are planning to make more of them, meaning that it might be in stores again: Prince George's sold-out Christmas tank top 'could go on sale again' - Telegraph

Thanks a lot for the links. :flowers: Princesses Elisabeth and Eleonore looked wonderful, I love Eleonore's coat in particular.
I don't George wears those clothes everyday. :lol: I think its charming for Christmas. :flowers:

This photo was taken at the ned of November... isn't it a bit too cold to wear shorts? But then again, I'm quite used to Kate wearing light frocks with no coat at all :D

You're all correct about the fashion for children when it comes to the BRF. I've also noticed that especially the Wessex children wear a lot of old fashioned things. Viscount Linley's daughter Margarita also wears old fashioned outfits, but with a modern touch IMO. I largely love old fashioned clothes, but I like them when worn like Princess Estelle of Sweden does, as in more vintage. I also agree that it's a general aristocratic and upper class thing to dress children in old fashioned outfits. In Europe, especially in Portugal, I've also noticed that upper class children wear more old fashioned outfits. The Portuguese children's shop Papo d'Anjo (I do believe that the AAA's have worn some of their clothes before) sells outfits that are quite old fashioned but with a modern twist.

Royals-They don't need no stinkin' fads and trends for the children :)....If it worked for great grandpa or grandma it works for baby :) practical and serviceable clothes that wear well to just be kids in; When they grow up they can have the pretty gowns and nice suits with bling.

I was just mentioning the latest trends as a sort of comparison. :flowers:

I don't George wears those clothes everyday. :lol: I think its charming for Christmas. :flowers:

That's an interesting thought, but as others have said it's the general upper class way of dressing children, so I can imagine that George does wear similar outfits at home.

This photo was taken at the ned of November... isn't it a bit too cold to wear shorts? But then again, I'm quite used to Kate wearing light frocks with no coat at all :D

In November it was mild in London so it would be warm enough to wear shorts. :) We did have some rainy and cold days towards the end of the month however. Having said that, I live in Greater London so the weather could be a bit different. Greater London is quite a big area but it doesn't take very long to get to Central London by train.

Last edited:
In November it was mild in London so it would be warm enough to wear shorts. :) We did have some rainy and cold days towards the end of the month however. Having said that, I live in Greater London so the weather could be a bit different. Greater London is quite a big area but it doesn't take very long to get to Central London by train.[/QUOTE]

Now it's everything clear thanks:lol:

Pointless observation but no little royal girls have short hair do they? to be cliché, they all have beautiful thickish looking princess locks, Esp the Dutch girls...That is some great hair! It must be in keeping with the whole traditional style.

I know it used to be the custom in England for boys to wear short pants til they were somewhere around 8-10 years old. Is it still that way? I've noticed boys public (private) school uniforms are still shorts to a certain age.

Pointless observation but no little royal girls have short hair do they? to be cliché, they all have beautiful thickish looking princess locks, Esp the Dutch girls...That is some great hair! It must be in keeping with the whole traditional style.

Apart from the little toddlers (Estelle for example), most of them do have long hair. Maybe they are training it for when they have a tiara! :) Though I think Princess Eleonore has shoulder length hair doesn't she?

I know it used to be the custom in England for boys to wear short pants til they were somewhere around 8-10 years old. Is it still that way? I've noticed boys public (private) school uniforms are still shorts to a certain age.

I think state schools wear trousers to school but definitely private schools have their junior boys in shorts until the Autumn term (after Halloween).

Last edited:
Apart from the little toddlers (Estelle for example), most of them do have long hair. Maybe they are training it for when they have a tiara! :) Though I think Princess Eleonore has shoulder length hair doesn't she?

I thought of the Tiara practice also:) Very sensible, that. I would think Eleonore's hair is just slowing growing but with she will have some stunning Blond hair in a few years. The Duchess of Brabant's is shorter come to thing and was similar at her sisters age of it but it has a lot of curl. Blown out it would be longer. It sometimes throws me off when the assorted pretty girls are photo'd in lovely dresses but have long scraggly wind blown hair in the faces though. Just a pet peeve of mine:)

I guess it's also because there is time for them to cut their hair! Let them enjoy long hair while they can :D

I think it's beautiful, just making an observation.

George is absolutely adorable, he looks like both his parents. I doubt very much this is his everyday attire, more of a dress up look for a special occasion. I dressed mine in shorts, knee socks, etc at the same age not too many years ago for special parties and occasions. Also, it is easier to dress toddler boys in shorts with suspenders because of the diapers.

In England it's not customary for little boys to wear these sort of shorts anymore. It used to be the preferred fashion in the 50's and 60's and earlier, but this has changed. Private and state school boys still wear these kind of shorts as part of their school uniform, though they are only worn during the summer and in the winter they wear trousers. Traditional dresses and white socks with black patent Mary Janes are still worn by primary school girls too (both private and state). Secondary school pupils wear shirts and trousers, or skirts if they are girls. :flowers:

Here is an example of a traditional British private and state school uniform:

Primary state ~ Secondary state ~ Prep school uniforms ~ Private secondary uniforms

Last edited:
^^^Are there any schools in the UK where students do not wear uniforms?

:previous: The only one I'm aware of is Hampton Court House in Surrey, which is a private school. They aim to provide a home from home experience which explains the non-uniform policy. Schools also have non-uniform day, where the children can wear their own clothes for the day :flowers:. Here is the website of Hampton Court House (it is near Hampton Court Palace):

Hampton Court House Independent School

^^^Are there any schools in the UK where students do not wear uniforms?

When children leave school at 16 and go to college then do not have to wear a uniform, except those who are in private schools.

Uniforms are something I am in favour for. Private schools tend to have lovely uniforms and. They almost always have to wear felt caps or boater hats.

Estelle is so cute and I can't believe how big she is getting. Didn't she do this last year? Her red coat is so age appropriate and the perfect colour for the festive period. The little bow is a nice touch. Never thought I would say that as I hated the bows to begin with but now little Estelle's hair is longer they look lovely.

Estelle looks absolutely precious. The bow is a nice touch.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

The Belgian kids at the annual Christmas concert at the Royal Palace today, December 17. The boys wore elegant suits and the girls looked lovely in pink (and blue) dresses:

** Upper part ** Full view **

The boys are dashing but I don't like the dresses of the girls... Eleonore's frock might have been nice but the color is too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom