The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-13-2017, 04:05 AM
Majesty

*WARNING* *WARNING* *WARNING*

Aliens arrived unannounced. But we have caught them out. CP Haarkon is obviously a pod person!

http://0.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...027&m=apeneihm

Hmm, perhaps they shouldn't have used Swedish men as a template!

Old 06-15-2017, 09:57 AM
Majesty

That picture really was a surprise! And just like you, Marg, my first thought was either a Swedish imposter or an alien.

I've had the photo checked by experts, and it turns out it is genuine. This really is Haakon!
I've conferred with my "sources" and it turns out there is a perfectly rational explanation.
You see this photo was taken in the lowlands and Haakons also spend the night in that area. I need not tell you that it's a well-known fact that Norwegians start to behave erratic when they venture down from their mountains. Too much oxygen affect their brains. And it gets worse if they can't see a fjord!
So in short: Haakon went stir-crazy!

Living very much in a low-land country myself I'm very familiar with Norwegians who go "nokke", as they call it. They usually discard their woolen-sweaters and rug-sacks and start chasing the sun while howling. It's a pretty disturbing sight, which fortunately pass either when they drop from exhaustion or the sun goes down.
But back to Haakon. While chasing the sun, alongside several members of his staff, he accidentally crossed the border to Sweden. That happens all the time, so the Swedes are used to dealing with Norwegians going "nokke". They just strap them to a chair for an hour or so, while placing an nitrogen mask over their mouth, until the oxygen level is low enough for them to calm down, then they quietly slip the Norwegians back across the border.
In Haakon's case a Swede kindly lend him one of the spare-suits all male Swedes have in the trunk of their Volvos. And that's why Haakon appears in the photo dressed like a Swede and still visibly dizzy as you can tell from his low gaze. - Norwegians otherwise always look up - at their mountains.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

One of the Swedes also lent Haakon a pair of BLACK shoes and ironed a fresh white hanky for him, too. Very nice. No wonder he was dizzy!
Old 06-16-2017, 02:47 AM
Majesty

Well they wouldn't have any other coloured shoes except black . . . same goes for white hankies I guess.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:22 AM
Majesty

You are quite right, ladies.

Now, let's go to something else.

Behold Joachim: http://kongehuset.dk/sites/default/f...?itok=nKGM7C5K

Oh dear, oh dear.

Bow tie is fine.
Shirt fine.
Nice handkerchief.
Pants fine.
But the jacket...
Nothing wrong with the jacket - except for the length of the sleeves.
I haven't seen such ill-fitting sleeves since they were used to hide the hand of a James Bond villain back in the 70's! https://bplusmovieblog.files.wordpre...et-die-271.png
Conclusion: You can camouflage a bad bow tie. Overlook a missing handkerchief. But if the jacket is ill-fitting the whole thing falls to the ground.
So from me.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Two weekends in a row, William seems unable to get the bearskin hat on straight.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...re-id696833416

A crook in the neck? Perhaps George sat on it and bent it out of shape.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:56 AM
Heir Apparent

It's more likely to be Lupo lying on it that did it.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:00 PM
Majesty

Leave it to Haakon to find one of the ugliest jackets
http://www.kongehuset.no/aim/kongehu...536ce01091.jpg
looks like an expensive trash bag
Old 06-18-2017, 11:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
It's more likely to be Lupo lying on it that did it.
Methinks it is Lupo.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:44 AM
Heir Apparent

I asked this on the Trooping thread, but it is far more likely for me to get help on this thread, maybe? As more male royals are likely to wear the object of my interest.

Anne's bicorne in the last two years had started to show wear. That's so un Anne-like. This year at Trooping it was polished and shiny. How do they do that and (underlying question) of what are those hats made?

I did search on bicorne and UK military dress uniforms. What I found out about bicornes is that they are made of wool - but I know of no way to polish wool so that it shines.

Does anyone have suggestions for search strings/sites so that I can figure this out? Or does anyone know what these seemingly hard military toppers are made of? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I asked this on the Trooping thread, but it is far more likely for me to get help on this thread, maybe? As more male royals are likely to wear the object of my interest.

Anne's bicorne in the last two years had started to show wear. That's so un Anne-like. This year at Trooping it was polished and shiny. How do they do that and (underlying question) of what are those hats made?

I did search on bicorne and UK military dress uniforms. What I found out about bicornes is that they are made of wool - but I know of no way to polish wool so that it shines.

Does anyone have suggestions for search strings/sites so that I can figure this out? Or does anyone know what these seemingly hard military toppers are made of? Thanks in advance.
Leather. - They used to be made of boiled leather, that should make it easier to polish them and form them into the right shape. Not sure about the process nowadays.
But it's basically the same way you made the leather helmets for heavy dragoons and indeed the helmets worn by infantry of the line in Austria-Hungary during the Napoleonic wars, and that also about the same time the bicorn hats went into use.

Tricorn hats and the bicorns were indeed also made from wool or felt, but sometimes also leather. But leather tricorns were expensive, so wool was more common. The helmets I mentioned above used by the Austrian-Hungarian army were indeed discontinued during the Napoleonic wars, partly due to costs but also because they were heavy and uncomfortable for soldiers who had suffered head injuries. But first and foremost they were expensive. So they were replaced with chakos.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:47 AM
Majesty

Daniel with Victoria this week, meeting a Swedish Pop artist at their home. Points for Daniel resisting the urge to wear a tie. But urg, those shoes . I blame Haakon for this
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DD4A6WOWAAAtBxo.jpg

I'll cut Daniel some slack as this was not an official event, but Haakon wearing those horrible shoes at an official event
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...5172?s=594x594
Old 07-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Majesty

And Daniel too??? I think yes i blame Haakon for this me too!!
Old 07-06-2017, 12:51 PM
Majesty

Wonderful, Daniel couldn't more Swedish if he was paid for it.

As for Haakon: Ladies, if any of you are married to a man like Haakon, who has shoes like Haakon's, be sure to burn them!
Because old ugly shoes are like carrier pigeons, they always come home!

If you dump them in the garbage can, you can be sure that's the day your husband for whatever reason lifts the lid to have a look. And if he isn't home, they will somehow fall out outside the hedge, for your husband to find when he returns.
If you bury them, you can be sure your dog will dig them up, or your neighbor's dog and return them to your husband.
If you dump them in the sea, they will somehow float ashore and by some miracle your husband will go for a walk on that very beach and find them.
So you must burn them. Put garlic in them drive a stake through them and burn them to ashes - and even then you can't be sure...
Old 07-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent

You mean they might return in phantom form and float in the air above Haakon and Mette Marit's bed? What a horrible thought!
Old 07-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Majesty

Well, I'm pretty sure they are appearing in Mette-Marit's nightmares...
Old 07-11-2017, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

King Mohammed VI is back
https://s3.postimg.org/vvn0huyr7/Scr...-05-43-1-1.png
Old 07-12-2017, 12:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademoiselle Lilo View Post
It could be worse...

There may be alternative universes where such an outfit is considered the very definition of being well-attired. It's unlikely, but there may be two or three such universes. (Just as there may be universes where Justin Bieber is considered masculine...) Could King Mohammed be an escapee from such a universe?
Old 07-14-2017, 06:51 AM
Serene Highness

My favorite prince Philip's tie
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...0025863263.jpg
Old 07-17-2017, 02:51 PM
Majesty

now that is a tie that stands out

Frederik yesterday with the family at the summer horse-rider parade. With a lovely and modern blue jacket
http://www.seoghoer.dk/sites/seoghoe...ngelige_68.jpg
Great outfit for this event
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...eb&oe=59FD94B8

Now, I dont know if you noticed the Queen's raincoat , but Frederik made a smart choice with more "quiet" colors. But he is his mother's son, so the day before was spotted wearing these cool flower shorts
http://www.seoghoer.dk/sites/seoghoe...raasten_49.jpg
He gets a pass as this was a private outing with the family
Plus the summer beard is an added bonus.

Now on to Sweden, where Daniel cant seem to be apart from those double-breasted coats. Now add the tight jeans and those ugly-Haakon shoes, and this outfit is a big miss for his wife's birthday
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...86cae7b09c.jpg