Fashion and Style of Royal Men, Part 1: April 2003 - April 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ladies and Gentlemen - if you think Frederik's and Willem-Alexander's red and orange trousers/pants are astonishing, then you must all try and visit a traditional English country gentlemen's outfitters (found in many county towns) where the colours of their corduroys are quite incredible - I have see mustard yellow, strawberry pink, raspberry and a dazzling shade of electric blue!

:previous: Ouch! My eyes hurt just thinking about it. Just imagine looking at them the morning after the night before. :D

:previous: You've got to love the guy. His whimsical fashion style at least sets him a little apart from the usual royal male shop window dummy or worse, the himbo's on the catwalk! :ROFLMAO:

You get to choose which is which!!!!! :D

Ladies and Gentlemen - if you think Frederik's and Willem-Alexander's red and orange trousers/pants are astonishing, then you must all try and visit a traditional English country gentlemen's outfitters (found in many county towns) where the colours of their corduroys are quite incredible - I have see mustard yellow, strawberry pink, raspberry and a dazzling shade of electric blue!

I actually like the sound of that...

I think Mathilde needs to pick some new ties for Phillippe and that of some new suits as the ties he has, he's worn so mny times now

Ohh the red pants... :lol: he must love those pants!

He really loves those pants! He most likely wear them till the butt wears out of them

Oh Frederik makes me smile with his colourful wardrobe. Most men would never wear the colour combos he does. Good on him for being bold enough to be different.

Here is a picture of Alexander, 1st Duke of Fife wearing a top hat.

Fife / Alexander 6th Earl - Look and Learn History Picture Library...

Here ia a picture of Edward, The Prince of Wales wearing a top hat.

http://cardcow.com/387011/winning-smile-hrh-prince-edward...

Here is a picture of Prince Andrew, The Duke of York, wearing a top hat.

Prince Andrew | Royal Hats

Scroll down to see
Crown Prince Haakon of Norway wearing a top hat on National Day

Prince Haakon | Royal Hats

Here is a picture of King George V wearing a top hat 1920.

http://www.artandimagery.wordpress.com/2014/11/15/a-beggar-running...

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Edward, Prince of Wales certainly wore his topper at a most dashing and rakish angle.

King Willem-Alexander, fashion and style

(...)

King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, in the past got some critique (at least in the Netherlands itself) on his clothing style, but it seems lately that he's improving, see for instance this blog entry:
De pakken van koning Willem-Alexander | ModekoninginMaxima.nl
Google translated
I personally think that the photo's in this article show some good suits which fit him well...
(and might I add: i also like the cufflinks)

At his recent visit to the caribian islands of Bonaire and Aruba, the King did wear a suit occasionally, but also used the local tradition of wearing a "Wayabera" (loose shirt)
http://www.royalty-online.nl/monarchie/nl/5036/willem-alexander-past-kleding-aan-op-bonaire
translated
Now I quite like this, I'm all for casual wear when suited for the occasion, but I wish he had chosen a different color than white; it looks a bit pale on him, I think a brighter color, like something in blue or green would have been better...

(...)

King Willem Alxander should also go to Brussels to la Maison Degand , tailors of King Philippe and Prince Lorenz. (not Prince Laurent's).

And why not to President Obama's tailor....

Possibly, but in the Netherlands there are some good men's clothing designers too ;-)
His cousin Prince Maurits (son of P.Margriet) usually looks very smart in whatever suit he wears and I think he goes to "Oger" (from designer Oger Lusink) which is a dutch store. As I understand it, he (Maurits) is actually very interested and knowledgeable on men's wear and likes to wear italian suits.

Actually, I think British Savile Row tailors are the best for suits.

I think King Willem-Alexander looked great in the Wayabera - it's crisp and smart enough for the warmer climates and it makes a change to see something other than a light suit or jus an unbuttoned shirt.

Well as ex-military and having worn an SD Cap very similar I can only say that in my case, yes, it is designed to be worn on an angle.

Well as ex-military and having worn an SD Cap very similar I can only say that in my case, yes, it is designed to be worn on an angle.

Would have been very surprised if it *had* been a faux-pas, but thanks for confirming it :flowers:

I don't know about anyone else, but I wish Daniel had a larger and more varied wardrobe. Just think, sports jackets, grey suits, double-breasted suits, pinstriped suits (or shirts), coloured shirts, wingtip shoes, loafers, whimsical ties tied in a variety of different ways. . . the variations are endless, so how about it Daniel?

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

In the above photo Daniel's tie complimented the red in Victoria's top beautifully, but Victoria was dressed in a much more casual manner. So I find myself wondering if anyone knows any reason why he should be so very formal.

The three sons of Queen Beatrix all have a "German" style: big suits, pantalons. The four sons of Princess Margriet all have an "Italian" style: sharp tailored suits and pants, contrasting colours in shoes and belts.

On first sight the sons of Princess Margriet all dress so much better but it is also a style associated with flashy boys in speedy cars parading through the P.C. Hooftstraat in Amsterdam (a posh street with luxury world brands, very frequented by "new money" and celebbies).

Somewhere I can see why the King dresses so conservatively. He is not and does not want to look like a dude working on the Amsterdam Stock Exchange, with their sharp-cut costumes. But... still there is room for a LOT of improvement indeed.

I find Prince Frederik's personal style of dressing somewhat unique and have come to realise that his Mary loves him or she wouldn't be caught dead with someone dressed in his style. I think she actually loves his red and mustard pants. :lol:
When we first heard of the DRF it was because of Fred and Mary and I took an interest. Prince Joachim was invariable dressed in the very height of restrained and cultured fashion. Every inch the man of sartorial perfection, every time, not a kink in his tie nor a button undone on his jacket.

But after his marriage to Marie it seems the caterpillar turned into a butterfly and he gave his sartorial fantasies room to fly. Not for Joachim the red pants, no for him a red dinner jacket, or better yet DPM dinner jacket.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-D0YPDWqzKbQ/VTETuzCqr7I/AAAAAAAAkzw/LqNXGNg7EbM/s1600/470039340.jpg

http://royalista.com/wp-content/ima...-felix_birthdays_special-occasions--h=500.jpg

Meanwhile, Frederik was expanding his formal "wah" ensembles;

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...M93essxxqaUyYecKB3udN3dM_52W26bu8ypITOCD36_zN

Well, things could be worse . . . he could be wearing matching red embroidered slippers! :ROFLMAO:

Interesting that their father has such an eccentric sartorial style. It seems the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom