Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
And later at the Nobel Peace Prize 2017 ceremony:
** Full view ** Full view 2 ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 ** Upper part 3 **
Love this print! Beautiful all round!

Old 12-11-2017, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Mette-Marit in a nice, simple outfit of black top and white skirt visiting =Oslo and their café =Kaffe today, December 11:

** Upper part ** Upper part 2 **

Old 12-11-2017, 01:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower

** Full view ** Full view 2 ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 ** Upper part 3 **

I don't like the pairing of the stripe skirt with a very busy floral print coat

Quote:

Mette-Marit at an audience and at the Save The Children's Peace Prize party in connection with the Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo today, December 10:

** Full view ** Upper part **
the ruffle on the top is weird, don't like it
Old 12-11-2017, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower;2049251
** [URL="http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/members-of-the-norwegian-royal-family-king-harald-v-of-norway-his-picture-id889349500"
Full view[/URL] ** Full view 2 ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 ** Upper part 3 **
I adore this outfit on her. It has all the elements she loves (and we mostly all hate) but it is such a fresh take. I love the play of the underdress and the floral overcoat! The fit is good. It does not overshadow the event but is a really worthy combo for her station here. It's pretty and quirky which is MM at her best!
This is nothing I would wear, but within her wheelhouse, I think this is a complete winner on MM.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

CP Mette Marit at the christmas reception today for organizations

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QoQdUPZWs...r_tc714783.jpg
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wfwW5Ig8Z...r_tc714455.jpg
Old 12-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
CP Mette Marit is becoming one of my favorite for style. Love this! I don't wear black at all, but I can see one could do a lot of interesting things with that jumper dress, with shawls and scarves, and patterned blouses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I adore this outfit on her. It has all the elements she loves (and we mostly all hate) but it is such a fresh take. I love the play of the underdress and the floral overcoat! The fit is good. It does not overshadow the event but is a really worthy combo for her station here. It's pretty and quirky which is MM at her best!

This is nothing I would wear, but within her wheelhouse, I think this is a complete winner on MM.
So curious, why 'we mostly all hate'? She's a very accessible dresser imo, especially for colder climes. I totally get how she dresses, and why. I have always assumed her style is very Norwegian. Not so?
Old 12-13-2017, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Crown Princess Mette-Marit during a Christmas visit to the Lørenskog nursing home today, December 13, wearing a nice flower print blouse and a black skirt:

** Full view with recycled Prada coat ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 **
Old 12-13-2017, 10:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Lovely skirt and top I also loved her polka dot gown for Noble prize she can look really lovely ... and then the outfit from hell ... a real hit or miss!!!
Old 12-13-2017, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Crown Princess Mette-Marit during a Christmas visit to the Lørenskog nursing home today, December 13, wearing a nice flower print blouse and a black skirt: ** Full view with recycled Prada coat ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 **
Very nice!
Old 12-13-2017, 08:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Crown Princess Mette-Marit during a Christmas visit to the Lørenskog nursing home today, December 13, wearing a nice flower print blouse and a black skirt:

** Full view with recycled Prada coat ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 **
Another Erdem x H&M top for Mette-Marit, also worn by Victoria
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQ67UwtXkAABZJd.jpg
Old 12-13-2017, 09:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Love the floral top with the nice coat and yea, no black tights! That awful black dress with the red sleeves really is an eyesore. Q Sonia always looks so put together, love her outfit in the picture
Old 12-13-2017, 11:06 PM
Majesty

The black dress with red sleeves not a fan. I love the color, and even the style but the black looks like cheap pleather.

I love todays look. The blouse much better on MM then Victoria. Lovely skirt
Old 12-14-2017, 01:37 AM
Royal Highness

This is a woman who has the very best of very thing in the way of clothing, nothing is ever stopping her from dressing for her body type yet *rarely* does she ever look like she knows how to dress. Amazing with her money and access to designers, stylist, and anything else, can she really put on a piece of clothing that fits her and looks nice. That red sleeved fake leather dress is a disgrace to even wear to an event for royal duties, and that is just one outfit. She has a perfect example of a lady and how to put clothing together right there next to her, her mother-in-law always looks so well put together, color, style, accessories, shoes/boots, anything and MM looks like she is lost in the closet on what to wear all the time.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow, My.Payton. A disgrace? I don't get the intensity regarding another person's efforts. It really puzzles me. Why so negative? Not everyone (and I am certainly one) applauds the buy-in to the fashion industry designers and stylists by so many. When one finds someone who is their own person, it's refreshing. JMO.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:45 PM
Royal Highness

I do get it Lady nimue, MM does not know how to dress for her body type. I see so many women buying expensive designer clothes all because the designer or someone who is a sales person tell a woman this looks great on her and it doesn't. People want to make money and those with lots of money are willing to listen to anyone who is popular, in the know and in the *in* group, and that is not the reason to buy clothes. What I see on some of these society ladies is laughable, not saying everyone has to dress alike yet know your body and what you feel comfortable in and not what someone is trying to sell you to make a name and money. That red sleeved dress with what look like fake leather was *not appropriate* for any event. I apologize for the word *disgrace* so now it is *inappropriate* for make her look larger then she is and the material looked on the internet here cheap. Queen Sonja really comes across as a lady, MM comes across as what is expensive and not always appropriate for her body type.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Mette-Marit today, December 14, at Kompass & Co in Oslo attending a cooking class with focus on using everything:

** Full view with coat ** Full view with apron ** Upper part **
Old 12-14-2017, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
I do get it Lady nimue, MM does not know how to dress for her body type.
So we have a difference of opinion. I think she dresses fine for her body type.

Quote:
I see so many women buying expensive designer clothes all because the designer or someone who is a sales person tell a woman this looks great on her and it doesn't. People want to make money and those with lots of money are willing to listen to anyone who is popular, in the know and in the *in* group, and that is not the reason to buy clothes.
Here we differ. I see very few women buying expensive designer clothes. My 'crowd' is very pedestrian, I guess. The only time 'expensive designer clothes' become an issue is with a gala or with a red carpet event, and even then, the general rule is to 'look nice', presentable (to the cameras, as far as that is possible to do), no more. The real pizzazz gowns and stuff belong to the A-Listers or soon-to-be-A-Listers, or in that category.

Quote:
What I see on some of these society ladies is laughable, not saying everyone has to dress alike yet know your body and what you feel comfortable in and not what someone is trying to sell you to make a name and money.
I would say the same, and I think that applies to MM (as well as at least one other royal lady we both watch). She wears what is comfortable and not what 'critics' demand she wear. She is unique and very accessible. It's not about body type really. That idea is driven by current biases regarding the female body. JMO.

Quote:
That red sleeved dress with what look like fake leather was *not appropriate* for any event.
Why not appropriate? She blended in with the Queen and the Queen's husband. The pictures of them all looked good to my eyes, except maybe one could fault Haakon for his blue suit. (BTW I thought it was a jumper with a red blouse).

Quote:
I apologize for the word *disgrace* so now it is *inappropriate* for make her look larger then she is and the material looked on the internet here cheap.
So what if what she wore made her look larger? Why does that matter? The camera is not a friend. You know the old adage: the camera puts on 10 pounds. In fact it's one of the first issues people (usually women) have when they see themselves photographed, and they start to diet (starve) themselves to get that svelte look the camera lens 'loves'. (We all know of one famous princess who had serious eating issues precisely because of this). It's one of the issues actresses are always dealing with when the producers/directors send down instructions to an actress to 'lose weight'.

Truthfully, if MM was a 'big woman' I'd say more power to her! She looks great. Thing is she is not. She is just right, and if that looks 'large' then it is we as the observer who need to adjust our sights.

It's very possible we approach fashion in a different way: for me I am looking at someone's style, not my style. Some times what they wear jives with my style and so I like what I see. Sometimes what I see is not my style, but I assume it is theirs, that they like what they are wearing, that they chose it after all, and I try to be respectful of a person's choices as I would were I to be sitting at lunch with them.

Quote:
Queen Sonja really comes across as a lady, MM comes across as what is expensive and not always appropriate for her body type.
It's interesting what we see. I like the look of MM. Looks all business to me (and 'cheap' can be 'inexpensive' and that's okay in my book). I would never comment on Queen Sonja but because I am making a point I will (though I hate to do so because I know she put thought into what she wore, and likes what she chose, so I would normally respect that, and to heck with what the camera 'sees'). So saying, I plunge in, and say, it is the Queen's dress that looks ill-fitting (but so what?). She could have dispensed with the scarf, thus accentuating the black belt with the black necklace/collar and black boots. I am aware that some of you go so far as to mention bra issues (I wince!), so one could mention the Queen has a support issue with that dress. (please forgive me, o my Queen). Now what about any of this makes Sonja 'a lady'? She looks a bit rumpled to me, but so what? MM looks sleek and I liked what I saw so mentioned it. Others were being rough on her so it may have prompted me to offer the contrary view for balance, but nothing about MM's dress/jumper (whatever it is) warrants such vehemence in my book. It's always a puzzle.

P.S. From everything I see regarding MM she is every bit the lady as is Queen Sonja. Maybe it has something to do with 'casual' versus something seen as a bit more 'dressy'? That could be a valid point though I think that may be a generational thing, but I do accept that context (casual vs dressy). BTW it's Haakon who ruins the group picture. He should have been dressed in black, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Old 12-14-2017, 06:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

I’ve seen pictures of MM in a bikini—

She is definitely not large, but stately and majestic. And her face is so beautiful, it doesn’t matter what she’s wearing.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-14-2017, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Mette-Marit today, December 14, at Kompass & Co in Oslo attending a cooking class with focus on using everything:

** Full view with coat ** Full view with apron ** Upper part **
The third pic doesn't really do her any favour.... but she is lovely anyway..... wonderful sweater !!!
Old 12-14-2017, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I completely agree with Lady Nimue. there is a difference between not liking what someone wears and it being inappropriate.
MM's choices are always ladylike, modest, inoffensive. Many of you don't like them. Fine.

But she is less wrinkled, more covered, better basically groomed and less likely to offend than some stuff other royals are wearing.

I also think comments about how big her fashion choices make her look step very close to body shaming and also over the boundaries of the rules here on the forums.

Personally, I think it's wonderful that she has a unique style that she alone wears and that it seems to make her feel good. That, in my opinion, is how "fashion" best serves society.

I don't dress like her and I would not buy what she buys. But I defend to the death her choices to wear what she likes. As long as it is not offensive, soiled or otherwise outre. I honor her fashion vibe!