The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-25-2017, 07:55 PM
Majesty

Sorry I find it ugly. The only redeeming quality is the beautiful color.

The dress looks cheap and stiff. The cut out flowers seem like a poor art project. Not the elegant look I usually expect from Mary.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:20 PM
Gentry

A very nice gesture indeed.

I love this blue colour, but the execution of the dress is not the best imo. But congratulations to the designer

Old 11-25-2017, 08:27 PM
Courtier

As before the color is gorgeous on her yet the design is poorly done, something is way off on this dress. The cut out flowers, the long sleeves, the welting around the waist line..........to much on going for me.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:46 PM
Majesty

Wizard of Oz

Blue dress - esp with the welting around the waist

And red shoes.

Rare fail IMO

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-25-2017, 08:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Sorry I find it ugly. The only redeeming quality is the beautiful color.

The dress looks cheap and stiff. The cut out flowers seem like a poor art project. Not the elegant look I usually expect from Mary.
You summed it up nicely. The dress is horrible. Nothing redeeming about it!
Old 11-25-2017, 09:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
What fun! Definitely not the same'ol'same'ol. I confess to not being able to figure out the exact color but it definitely looks to me like one fun piece of clothing to wear. I'd buy it. Perfect for a dinner party. Well done, Mary!
Old 11-26-2017, 12:19 AM
Heir Apparent

A rare fail indeed. Ugly color fabric and design. Really nothing about it to commend. The horrible cut work of the hem and neckline and sleeves, I have a tablecloth like this. The the inverted pleats at the waist, the shiny fabric, the bordered waistline, all so unflattering
Old 11-26-2017, 12:45 AM
Courtier

I really like the color and the top of the dress. I don't like the skirt of it and I don't like the red shoes with it.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:57 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

The gesture was nice tow wear the winners dress but that doesn't make the dress pretty IMO. The color is great but the overall design was off. The white coat looked nicely matched, I dont care for the red shoes.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Agree with what all posters mentioned who don't like it - I'd like to add that I don't like Mary's middle parting hairstyle, it ages her.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:16 AM
Nobility

I think there's too much going on with this dress. The fabric looks too shiny. The hem and waist looks weird. The overall style looks kind of unfinished and outdated.
And her flat and severe hairstyle reminds me too much of CPss Victoria's. Yes, this style ages and doesn't flatter any woman in my opinion.
Lovely earrings though.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:07 AM
Serene Highness

Not keen on this dress the whole things isn't to my taste
Old 11-26-2017, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Lovely dress. Interesting cut. And "something blue" Manolo shoes. Nor sure about the red version
Old 11-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Royal Highness

Not keen on this, but SHINY fabric never works 'in my book'.. invariably it manages to cheapen a look...
Old 11-26-2017, 12:34 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think Mary cared what the dress looked like on this occasion. She wore to honor the designer. I give her credit for making someone's special evening more memorable and thrilling to see future queen wear her creation. I would like to think I would have put my own thoughts aside for one night to honor and make another's evening brilliant. Mary's kindness went up a notch in my opinion.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, it was a gracious and generous choice on Mary's part. I think grace and generosity look good on everyone and just wish we saw this kind of real beauty more often.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:10 PM
Serene Highness

I don’t like the dress much at all, except for the colour, but it was a very thoughtful gesture on Mary’s part. Royals go to these sorts of events to honour the guests, not the other way around, and I’m glad Mary took the opportunity to use the attention inevitably focused on her to highlight the designer’s work.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I don't think Mary cared what the dress looked like on this occasion. She wore to honor the designer. I give her credit for making someone's special evening more memorable and thrilling to see future queen wear her creation. I would like to think I would have put my own thoughts aside for one night to honor and make another's evening brilliant. Mary's kindness went up a notch in my opinion.
Ah, Winnie, you said it best. Even though I don't like the dress it shows just how smart and compassionate Mary is for her adopted country. She won the hearts of many that night in wearing the dress and acknowledging the lady who was the designer. That to me shows Mary's love and devotion to the Danish People....
Old 11-26-2017, 08:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh, sorry, I didn’t realize the dress was designed by one of their honorees. It is a very beautiful gesture. But red shoes??
Old 11-28-2017, 02:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

yes, I like the dress but I do not get the red shoes?//