Crown Princess Mary's Eveningwear Part 14: June 2014 - January 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary looked absolutely majestic tonight. I think the cape complements the dress so beautifully. My biggest issue is the waistband on the dress. While I appreciate that it matches the Order of the Elephant, it just doesn't do it for me but I love the rest of the dress. Her hairstyle also really did great things for the Ruby parure – but I do hope she will wear her hair down at at least one of this years courts.

I like Marie's dress but Mary's white dress for me is just a long sleeved white dress. I've quite liked the other times she's worn long white dresses..perhaps it's the long sleeves. Don't understand the purple clutch either.

I didn't realise that this is the first time we've seen a new gown on Mary at the New Year's Courts since 2007 - thank you for that information Roskile. :) It's nice that Mary wore something new this time, all in all I like her dress, though there's something not quite right about the fitting IMO. I love her cape, it looks elegant and that midnight blueish shade works well with the white. I'm not the biggest fan of her hairstyle but it works well with her tiara.

Mary as always looked amazing , truly royal

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

What could be better and more regal than gold and white? Gold white and purple. Lovely cape plus white dress with gold belt and looks like organza overlay with a perfect small train. Great hair for the large tiara. Love the earrings, bracelet and ring to go with.

Mary looked absolutely majestic tonight. I think the cape complements the dress so beautifully. My biggest issue is the waistband on the dress. While I appreciate that it matches the Order of the Elephant, it just doesn't do it for me but I love the rest of the dress. Her hairstyle also really did great things for the Ruby parure – but I do hope she will wear her hair down at at least one of this years courts.

How many courts does Denmark have a year?

She looks stunning. Great outfit.

I think she looks stunning, just I would like more closed up photos, and to see the dress with out the cape! to see more detail! and her hair up do!She has long sleeves and I think the cape it is perfect to keep her warm! How cold is there now?

How many courts does Denmark have a year?

Four New Year Courts in the course of three days. The first one, the banquet, is for the government, the country’s top civil servants and the Court's leadership. It always takes place on 1 January in Christian VII's Palace. The second is for the Supreme Court and the officer corps of the Royal Life Guard and Royal Hussar Guard regiments – and it also takes place in Christian VII's Palace. The third, taking place the same day as the second, is for the diplomatic corps and it takes place at Christiansborg Palace. The fourth and final court is for officers from the military and the Danish Emergency Management Agency; for the 1., 2. and 3. rank classes; for invited representatives of various national organisations and those having royal patronage and it also takes place at Christiansborg Palace. The last court is when QMII and Prince Henrik ride the magnificent Gold Coach to and from Christiansborg Palace. The Crown Princely couple is present at all four courts whereas Prince Joachim, Princess Marie and Princess Elisabeth only were present at the banquet today.

I apologise for the immense length of this :D

Last edited:
Truly a very beautiful woman who knows how to present herself to the public in her official role. This is one non-royal who has taken to the role and performed it to the hilt. A very beautiful gown and the jewels, rubies and diamonds are a perfect match. Oh how I would love that bracelet and earrings.

Four New Year Courts in the course of three days. The first one, the banquet, is for the government, the country’s top civil servants and the Court's leadership. It always takes place on 1 January in Christian VII's Palace. The second is for the Supreme Court and the officer corps of the Royal Life Guard and Royal Hussar Guard regiments – and it also takes place in Christian VII's Palace. The third, taking place the same day as the second, is for the diplomatic corps and it takes place at Christiansborg Palace. The fourth and final court is for officers from the military and the Danish Emergency Management Agency; for the 1., 2. and 3. rank classes; for invited representatives of various national organisations and those having royal patronage and it also takes place at Christiansborg Palace. The last court is when QMII and Prince Henrik ride the magnificent Gold Coach to and from Christiansborg Palace. The Crown Princely couple is present at all four courts whereas Prince Joachim, Princess Marie and Princess Elisabeth only were present at the banquet today.

Do you mean that Mary has a different gown for each court? That is a lot of planning to do for each as you don't want to be caught wearing the same gown or jewels and hairstyle to these courts. Thank you for the information on these courts. And does the Crown Princely couple ever ride in the gold coach with the queen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean that Mary has a different gown for each court? That is a lot of planning to do for each as you don't want to be caught wearing the same gown or jewels and hairstyle to these courts. Thank you for the information on these courts. And does the Crown Princely couple ever ride in the gold coach with the queen?

A different one for each day, IIRC. I think Mary has picked up on QMII's tradition to wear the same (midnight blue) gown on day two (to reception for the Diplomatic Corps, IIRC) every year which, logistically, makes things easier for them (and while I know some dislike it, I actually really like the tradition – and the gowns). No, they arrive and leave by car. It's only the monarch (and her spouse) who rides the Gold Coach to the court at Christiansborg :flowers:

I like Mary's dress, not as good as Margrethes but much better than Maries on this occasion, I don't mind the cape. Hairstyle is too dramatic, I get the megamind-feeling. I personally feel that the ruby jewellery as a complete set is too much to be worn with the order of the elephant.

I love her dress. It's really beautiful but I have to say I don't get the cape. The colour of the cape just doesn't match well with her white gown. I also think the updo is too "pompous" - it would have been better if she opted for a less dramatic updo. Anyway she looks good.

I like the dress, but wish it were in a different color. Mary does look beautiful, and the darker cape helps to balance the white.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

No , thank you! Yay- 2 more days of gowns! Hopefully, Mary doesn't have any more swan, cow, or Dalmatian numbers!

I like Mary's dress, not as good as Margrethes but much better than Maries on this occasion, I don't mind the cape. Hairstyle is too dramatic, I get the megamind-feeling. I personally feel that the ruby jewellery as a complete set is too much to be worn with the order of the elephant.

Her up-do is too much "Margrethes" style to me. I like her hair up, but not like this so much.

Pretty dress and I love the cape.

The dress is okay and elevated by the cape. However, due to the cape, the Ruby tiara is not a good fit and I feel that either a more straightforward diamond tiara or the Midnight one would have fitted better. Her updo is a little bit much.

Stunning! Mary looks so regal and beautiful, simply perfect.

Truly a very beautiful woman who knows how to present herself to the public in her official role. This is one non-royal who has taken to the role and performed it to the hilt. A very beautiful gown and the jewels, rubies and diamonds are a perfect match. Oh how I would love that bracelet and earrings.

Yep. Our Crown Princessis a beautiful woman, she doeswear beautiful dresses and historical tiaras, but her charisma and way of carrying herself is the reason to her success. She arrives with class and dignity while looking admiringly at her husband.

Looking forward to see what Mary and Margrethe will wear at the upcoming New Years Courts at Amailienborg and Christiansborg. Hardly some new since they both seem to recycle between 3-4 different suits for the courts.

Hope we got to see this one this year:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/8b/8e/2a/8b8e2a996790d49041c747378666bc09.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. Our Crown Princessis a beautiful woman, she doeswear beautiful dresses and historical tiaras, but her charisma and way of carrying herself is the reason to her success. She arrives with class and dignity while looking admiringly at her husband.

Looking forward to see what Mary and Margrethe will wear at the upcoming New Years Courts at Amailienborg and Christiansborg. Hardly some new since they both seem to recycle between 3-4 different suits for the courts.

Hope we got to see this one this year:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/8b/8e/2a/8b8e2a996790d49041c747378666bc09.jpg

I'd be surprised to see her wear that one twice in a row, but I wouldn't be opposed to it. I love it.

I have to admit to feeling that the white dress did absolutely nothing for Mary. The straight line with a flat belt somehow makes her look as straight as a board, utterly shapeless in fact. It is waistless and Mary just doesn't seem to have that much of a waist. Perhaps it would be better to stick to a more shaped shillouette
Her up-do is too much "Margrethes" style to me. I like her hair up, but not like this so much.

Pretty dress and I love the cape.
Oh dear I can hardly believe I am going to say this, but that horrible bouffant 1960's behive looked awful. The hair is soft around the hairline but even the glorious Ruby tiara couldn't save it from what was behind it!

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/46...cO8z2yc0yyn25bJShn7ou9JdFR/PQlHSJLOfI0sT6wg==

I love the cape. It is elegant and looks wonderful over an evening gown in winter and the contrast with the white of the gown was lovely. But from there on out it just seemed that I liked the concept but the execution lacked cohesion.

I wonder how it looked without the softening effect of the cape?

I was not a fan of Mary's look this year. However, the ruby tiara is my most favorite so I loved seeing that again!

I don't know if you all have looked at video of Mary in the dress, but you should. It's the reason I love it. It's not just a straight line dress, it's got a great cut/flow to it.

Royal Watcher has a gif of it: The Royal Watcher

I love this dress. It'll look great with the Dutch sash or another one with a lot of color.

How lovely is this dress?!! Love the floaty effect of the two different fabrics as she walks. Ever so feminine.

Crown Princess Mary looked beautiful and regal at the New Years Court.

I have to admit to feeling that the white dress did absolutely nothing for Mary. The straight line with a flat belt somehow makes her look as straight as a board, utterly shapeless in fact. It is waistless and Mary just doesn't seem to have that much of a waist. Perhaps it would be better to stick to a more shaped shillouette
Oh dear I can hardly believe I am going to say this, but that horrible bouffant 1960's behive looked awful. The hair is soft around the hairline but even the glorious Ruby tiara couldn't save it from what was behind it!

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/460959066-crown-princess-mary-of-denmark-attends-a-new-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QdPxsCa2AnHOIng6xeNwlnGcO8z2yc0yyn25bJShn7ou9JdFR%2fPQlHSJLOfI0sT6wg%3d%3d

I love the cape. It is elegant and looks wonderful over an evening gown in winter and the contrast with the white of the gown was lovely. But from there on out it just seemed that I liked the concept but the execution lacked cohesion.

I wonder how it looked without the softening effect of the cape?

The hairstyle reminded me of ones that waitresses at Bob's Big Boy restaurants in Southern California would wear in the 1960's, 70's 80's. They'd comb their hair back and clip on a large bouffant fake bun that would match their hair color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom