"Under the Beam" by Jens Andersen (2018) [Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark]

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so interesting to read. thanks mulher for translating! it sounds like between F&M it was love at first sight.

The next chapter is ready - at long last.

It was a very difficult chapter to translate for me. It's hard to explain; When I translate I usually have fun doing it and/or find a rhythm in the text and then the translation "flows".
That was not the case in this chapter though.

It is nevertheless a very relevant chapter about Frederik's mindset today. How he has settled in his role as Crown Prince and is now comfortable with him being king one day.
It's a chapter where we see what Frederik has learned - and between the lines - what he still hasn't learned or acknowledge if you prefer.
It's also a chapter where Frederik very much reflects about his life. Something that is typical for a middle-aged man IMO.
We also learn about a Frederik who needs to goof around or go hippie from time to time.
And we learn about how Mary and Frederik approach their tasks in different ways.
And not least we learn how Frederik, Victoria and Haakon view their roles as CP's and these roles are slightly different depending on the country and person.

But read for yourselves here: King

And for the entire text: https://app.box.com/s/szpzlhukts2c5leh4cf490478lzpeenj

Last edited:
The next chapter is ready - at long last.

It was a very difficult chapter to translate for me. It's hard to explain; When I translate I usually have fun doing it and/or find a rhythm in the text and then the translation "flows".
That was not the case in this chapter though.

It is nevertheless a very relevant chapter about Frederik's mindset today. How he has settled in his role as Crown Prince and is now comfortable with him being king one day.
It's a chapter where we see what Frederik has learned - and between the lines - what he still hasn't learned or acknowledge if you prefer.
It's also a chapter where Frederik very much reflects about his life. Something that is typical for a middle-aged man IMO.
We also learn about a Frederik who needs to goof around or go hippie from time to time.
And we learn about how Mary and Frederik approach their tasks in different ways.
And not least we learn how Frederik, Victoria and Haakon view their roles as CP's and these roles are slightly different depending on the country and person.

Mange Tak Muhler! How much I enjoyed reading this chapter, thank you so very much for your hard work and time translating. I especially liked how the Crown Prince has embraced his French heritage: rather nostalgic because of his father's recent death, of course, but nevertheless very informative how the Prince embraces his French-ness with its incumbent directness and most certainly with its self-awareness and assuredness. France is, after all, the centre of the world, even if other people don't see it that way :lol: I await further translations with great anticipation: thank you again for your hard work:flowers:

Thank you so much, Muhler! I can imagine how much and difficult work the translating is and I really appreciate it. :flowers::flowers::flowers:

That was really interesting to read.

Frederik considers himself a Christian. Which is handy since he is eventually going to be the head of the state church.
I think that's my favourite quote from you:ROFLMAO:
Frederik's thougts about religion and christianity are interesting to read - especially as it seems that he doesn't want to get to specific (which is understandable).

BTW: Is the Danish monarch still the head of the state church or must s/he only be a member of it?

I also thougt that it's interesting that Mary writes her speeches herself while Frederik doesn't.
(And maybe writing them by himself could help him to speak better in public? Escpecially when he is that good with writing? I can imagine that it's not that easy to hold a speech that someone else has written for you when you have such a distinctive way to express yourself as Frederik seems to have...)

Last edited:
You are welcome, Iolanthe & Gerry. ?

Yes, the Monarch is the head of the Lutheran State Church, which is still the official religion of Denmark.

I think Frederik loathes giving speeches so much that even writing his own speeches is something he'd prefer not to do. And the fact that he almost has to rehearse his speeches at gunpoint, is to me an "overspringshandling".

I don't know the English word for that. It's something you do in order to avoid or postpone doing something you have to or ought to do.
Like watching an episode (of five) of a soap instead of start cleaning the windows. And then it's too late in the day, oh well, there is always tomorrow, next week...

Last edited:
You are welcome, Iolanthe & Gerry. ?

Yes, the Monarch is the head of the State Church, which is still the official religion of Denmark.

I think Frederik loathes giving speeches so much that even writing his own speeches is something he'd prefer not to do. And the fact that he almost has to rehearse his speeches at gunpoint, it to me an "overspringshandling".

I don't know the English word for that. It's something you do in order to avoid or postpone doing something you have to or ought to do.
Like watching an episode (of five) of a soap instead of start cleaning the windows. And then it's too late in the day, oh well, there is always tomorrow, next week...

It's called procrastinating in English and I'm very good at it as well :flowers:

The next chapter is ready - at long last...But read for yourselves httpsKing

I saved this for after work, Muhler and was glad I did. I understand why you labored over the translation; there are a lot of concepts flying around in this chapter.

There is so much nuanced meaning here, Muhler. But you succeeded in covering that because I found myself trapping quotes throughout. That's a high compliment, you should know.

An indicator of your success is that I have never felt Freddie and I had anything in common. He is gorgeous; I am bookish and loooove public speaking; he married the perfect person for him, etc.

I find, however we share an inability to make art coupled with a compulsive need to appreciate art. We both prefer to get people to chat with us (curiosity about others in both our cases), we are both outdoorsy/action oriented/independent.

I find him more accessible, more dimensional and human having read the translation. Well done and thanks!

Thank you for the info on the Book, guess I won't be getting one now. This brings a question up here...........Europe, now there are dozens of countries and languages, so how does on operate there if there is no universal language so to speak? I don't want everyone to speak the same yet if one book is published in Danish and someone in say Spain wants a copy, they would have to know Danish also..........I find that interesting that there are so many different languages and yet it does not seem to have an effect on the countries....and here in the US, I find some that are born here can't speak English for all they know is *slang* language...try to figure that out on the phone is insane at times....

Sorry about that, well I for one will be glued to your translations of this book and will be saving them in my library here.........and you are very well appreciated for doing this for all of us here.?

In my mind there is no question that it is all down to the many tribes living here in Europe. That has developed into nations. Each with their different languages/dialects and small variations in culture.
If you look at the Native Americans of North America, there were I don't know how many tribes as well, with just as many languages, which they fiercely preserved. So they had to resort to a pretty elaborate system of sign language in order to communicate.

Thanks LibrarianDaisy. ?

And thank you very much for your high and very encouraging praise, AdmirerUS. I'm glad the quotes made sense. ?

Last edited:
=

Thank you Muhler:flowers:
This book has been a treat to read (through your lovely translations). Some of the highlights for me...

Love that we got an insight into his role in the public audiences and his ease to speak to a variety of people.
"Also at the audiences, when he is standing in for the Queen. Then 70-80 take turn coming in and they are very different. ... Would you know, he talks with all of them? Each time a new face comes in, he hooks them. He goes straight at the engine driver, or whoever it is, and have a chat with him”.
How his natural curiosity has shaped his life, his love and eye for art...

Loved how Mary spoke of them as a team and how he supports and is proud of her "at the same times he leaves me room for me to work in my way, and if that creates interest and attention, he is happy about it. He’s glad to see me succeed and see me gain a solid foot hole, both as a person and as Crown Princess. He’s none the less because of that”.

And how he and the Queen grew closer as he got older, their trips together.

I could go on but a big thank you Muhler...

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Muhler, Did Crown Prince Frederik describe how he and Crown Princess Mary selected the names of each of their children?

The next chapter is ready: Conqueror https://app.box.com/s/eckktttzzodqnukewlg050se37vbpz3p

This time about Frederik going on the Sirius Expedition in Greenland in 2000, and meeting, dating and eventually marrying Mary.

I hope I have made it more reader-friendly this time.

It's a long chapter! So I have summarized a few of the quotes that are not essential. And I have also "cut some corners" in many of the quotes, in order to make them easier to read and understand, while at the same time staying as true as possible to what was actually said, and how.

The scans, for verification, of the chapter will be uploaded in a day or two here: https://app.box.com/s/polat0w30qs9qdm1k46r6fz2ojvxdloi

--------------------

Thank you, Carlota. ?

I trust you will enjoy this chapter even more.

Wauh! Thank you So much. I have a lot to read this summer day [emoji1360][emoji253]

The next chapter is ready.

Academic.

This time about Frederik's time at Aarhus University and his happy year in USA, studying at Harvard and driving across USA.
But also the time where his public standing was at the absolute lowest point in his life. And how he recovered, or rather began to change the public perception of him.

It is of course impossible to translate expressions and sayings from Danish to English and still make sense. So I have cut a number of corners in an attempt to make the quotes more reader-friendly while still trying to stay as close as possible to the original words.

This chapter was easy, it had rhythm.

However, I have a little question for English speakers: In Danish there is a word that describes a full 24 hour day, from midnight to midnight. That word is a "døgn". What would be the best English translation for that word?

Anyway, read for yourselves here: Academic

Or read the original text here: https://app.box.com/s/o5clm1u209ac93fdptzpw177b23fp16m

Muhler, Did Crown Prince Frederik describe how he and Crown Princess Mary selected the names of each of their children?

Not in this book. And I don't recall having read anything about how and why they selected these names.

Thanks iSnowhite and Polyesco ?

I can't decide on which chapter to take on next.

There is the chapter about the almost inhuman, but character building, trials during his time as frogman.

And there is the chapter about Frederik's relationship with his beloved mormor, Queen Ingrid. Frederik as the family man and Frederik the passionate music lover.

Hi Muhler!

I am really enjoying your translations - thank you! To attempt to answer your question about the word for all day, I can only think of an expression - ‘around the clock’ .

Thanks for the translation, Muhler.

My vote for next chapter would be on Frederik as a family man. It was between that and Frederik as passionate music lover.

Thanks again for translating!

The next chapter is ready.

Academic.

This time about Frederik's time at Aarhus University and his happy year in USA, studying at Harvard and driving across USA.
But also the time where his public standing was at the absolute lowest point in his life. And how he recovered, or rather began to change the public perception of him.

It is of course impossible to translate expressions and sayings from Danish to English and still make sense. So I have cut a number of corners in an attempt to make the quotes more reader-friendly while still trying to stay as close as possible to the original words.

This chapter was easy, it had rhythm.

However, I have a little question for English speakers: In Danish there is a word that describes a full 24 hour day, from midnight to midnight. That word is a "døgn". What would be the best English translation for that word?

Anyway, read for yourselves here: Academic

Or read the original text here: https://app.box.com/s/o5clm1u209ac93fdptzpw177b23fp16m

Muhler, your translation is wonderful, mange tak! Your question about the 24 hour day is a good one because it shows how important context is when translating. We have many words and expressions in English to describe the idea of day, so it depends what you mean! This is why google translate is still an imperfect tool, because it only translates literally and not with understanding the context of what needs to be said! I enjoyed reading the portrait of the Crown Prince at Aarhus; I also stayed there in a student house but only for two weeks as lodgings are very expensive! Luckily Prince Frederik could stay at his parents for free:lol:I like how the Crown Prince wants to earn what comes to him rather than receiving favours for free; it is easy to get an honorary degree but a lot of sweat is needed to write a final paper, bravo:flowers:

Thank you all of you. ?

Family man it is then. That's a nice little chapter about his mormor (and how Victoria remember her as well BTW), his family and love for music.
Stand by. ;)

The word "døgn" is often a little tricky to translate. (It's a handy word, you ought to adopt it ;))

If an event lasts say five "døgn", you can only translate it with five days and nights, because it implies a non-stop event.

When using the word "døgn" simply as a term it means a 24 hour period, or a day and a night.

I asked because Frederik in the last chapter told about how he and Holger stayed for a "døgn" at the home of a family.
A day and a night. So it couldn't be translated accurately as a day, because that might be understood as only being there in the daylight hours. While translating it with "stayed the night", might be understood as only sleeping there. - So I hoped you might have a little handy word in English covering that.

I know it's a bit nerdy, but often it's the simple words that causes the most headache to translate correctly. :bang::D

The next chapter is ready: Family Man.

It was a chapter I had fun translating.
About the very close relationship between Frederik and Queen Ingrid.
How M&F bring up their children, and how they don't always agree on how to do it.
How M&F allow each other room in their marriage.
And Frederik's deep passion for music.

I think you'll enjoy this chapter, it's a sitting-under-a-blanket-with-a-mug-of-hot-cocoa-in-your-hand chapter.

But read for yourselves here: Family Man
And the original text here: https://app.box.com/s/c3d11r62ceh4sbc24mgitfm2r51psnfx

:previous: This was a very beautiful chapter to read. Thank you Muhler.

Always nice to read them describing their family life and how they come together. Lovely!The last part was very sweet, how music affects him and is passing it on to his kids.
and this part was super sweet:wub:- "So we sat and listened to a lot of music and played tracks to each other. – She mostly to me – and talked about what she liked. Many of the tracks meant something to Mary I could tell, because she had been through a difficult period of her life after the death of her mother three years before. To Mary that had been a rude awakening in her life – who am I, and where am I going now? A period marked by deep grief, powerlessness and the feeling of not having done all you wanted with your mother. So we listened to a lot of Australian rock music, I remember, which also formed the basis for our love.”

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Thanks for the translation, Muhler. I've very much enjoyed reading these chapters, especially the one where we finally learn about how Frederick met Mary and the details of their courtship, and her move to Denmark.

Mange tak!

Did Frogman chapter ever get translated?

I just discovered the chapter-by-chapter translations of Under Bjælken -- thank you so much for doing this! I've downloaded five, but after scrolling through the posts a couple of times, I don't find a translation yet for Frogman. Did that ever get done? I would love to read it!

:previous:
Sorry for the late response, I haven't been to this thread for ages.

Well, it was a chapter I considered translating, but I never got around to do it and it was my impression there wasn't that much interest in the military aspect of Frederik's life.

I might perhaps get around to translating that chapter, but I won't promise anything at all. Certainly not now.

Thank you!

Tusind tak for your reply! If you ever get around to translating the chapter on CP Frederik's military life I will be very glad to read it.

Best, Katherine

The chapter about Frederik time in the Frogman Corps has been translated.

All the quotes have been translated, but text in-between the quotes have been summarized.

It's a long chapter!

What may be of particular interest to most here, is the new Frederik who emerged after completing the grueling course to become a Frogman. And the reflections he had about a future wife. Frederik was a little rebellious! It's interesting to compare Frederik's thoughts about marriage to the controversy regarding Meghan and Harry.

https://app.box.com/s/ufravapkcnaqugbzvch4tlmkwe8n9eg6

I haven't scanned the text. At least not yet. It's mainly for reference and I'm not sure how much use it is to people who can't read Danish.
But if you really wish, I will.

Happy reading.
And if you spot something that isn't right, just let me know. With 8.000 words it's easy to miss something when proofreading. ;)

Last edited:
tusend tak for translating this Muhler! I learned a lot about the Frogmen Corps and even more about CP Frederik!

Thanks!

I just found the Frogman chapter and read it -- very interesting in all its detail about that training. Thank you so much for translating it!

Katherine

Thank you, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post.

Thank you Muhler! Very interesting to read about this intense training and its positive effects on Frederik.

Back
Top Bottom