The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-26-2017, 05:32 PM
Majesty

mulher - thanks so much for your efforts! it is not everyday that we get a book with such a personal account of a high-ranking royal member so i bet any members here will very much appreciate your efforts! the pictures are a rather delightful way into this - i enjoyed watching these!

Old 11-27-2017, 08:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

The next chapter is ready: Conqueror https://app.box.com/s/eckktttzzodqnukewlg050se37vbpz3p

This time about Frederik going on the Sirius Expedition in Greenland in 2000, and meeting, dating and eventually marrying Mary.

I hope I have made it more reader-friendly this time.

It's a long chapter! So I have summarized a few of the quotes that are not essential. And I have also "cut some corners" in many of the quotes, in order to make them easier to read and understand, while at the same time staying as true as possible to what was actually said, and how.

The scans, for verification, of the chapter will be uploaded in a day or two here: https://app.box.com/s/polat0w30qs9qdm1k46r6fz2ojvxdloi

--------------------

Thank you, Carlota.

I trust you will enjoy this chapter even more.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
The next chapter is ready: Conqueror https://app.box.com/s/eckktttzzodqnukewlg050se37vbpz3p

This time about Frederik going on the Sirius Expedition in Greenland in 2000, and meeting, dating and eventually marrying Mary.

I hope I have made it more reader-friendly this time.

It's a long chapter! So I have summarized a few of the quotes that are not essential. And I have also "cut some corners" in many of the quotes, in order to make them easier to read and understand, while at the same time staying as true as possible to what was actually said, and how.

The scans, for verification, of the chapter will be uploaded in a day or two here: https://app.box.com/s/polat0w30qs9qdm1k46r6fz2ojvxdloi

--------------------

Thank you, Carlota.

I trust you will enjoy this chapter even more.

I really enjoyed reading the details of Mary and Frederik's early days Muhler.

Thank you for your work translating this.

The details that have been shared with the general public are very interesting, and it's very generous of the CP Couple to release such information.

Must have been a wonderful trip too, for Mary and her friend Amber to drive through all those countries together, heading from the secret life in Paris to the new life in Copenhagen.

To have that secret week - they must have some memories.

Is the book being serialised in the press? I'm guessing these, and many other hitherto unknown details, must have caught the attention of Denmark.

Appreciate all your efforts on this Muhler.

Seems like a bit of a watershed, that so much is being shared of their private lives and the behind the scenes things. It can only make people feel closer to all those in the book.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Thank you, Sun Lion.

No, the book is not serialized.

Over all most here is more or less public knowledge or assumed to have happened roughly this way.
It's the large number of personal details that confirms it and add a lot more details to the picture.
Mary's thoughts, considerations and reservations prior to the engagement are new to the public and have of course been noticed.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:

a big thank you, once again Muhler
This chapter was great! and we learned so much.

what a journey of discovery for Frederik in Greenland. Life-changing. And we see it today how much Greenland means to him. He grew into the person he is today during this trip no doubt.
And just finishing this he meets Mary. and like Joachim mentions, he was ready for it. Having just completed the Sirius Patrol he was now ready to "conquer" a long distance relationship. A special one that Frederik felt could lead to great things from the start.

To read Mary's concerns, doesn't surprise me. She didn't just drop everything, their relationship grew until they both knew it was time for a big decision. And Frederik kept it close to his heart "They did not know how much Mary meant to me at that time. On the other hand I was not particularly talkative in relation to them, because I thought this was my own business. I wanted to follow my own heart and would not report, let alone be held accountable."

The description of the last goodbye of Queen Ingrid, hearing it from Frederik, Joachim and Queen Margrethe was heartwarming.

thanks again!
Old 11-28-2017, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Mr Muhler, Was the Prince close t the Montpezat family? Did he like his holidays in France? Was he consider as a grand-child , cousin or as a Prince?
Old 11-28-2017, 02:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Eeh, I really don't know to be honest.
I guess Frederik is simply Frederik to his French relatives.

Apart from hanging out with his French relatives from time to time when in France, I don't think they are particularly close.

And how fond Frederik is of Chateau Cayx is also difficult to say. I cant really say whether he visits Cayx on occasion because he likes the place, or because it's a convenient place a little out of the way.

It's another matter with Joachim who is a known Francophile and often spends time in France. I imagine he is closer to his French relatives than Frederik, but I honestly don't know.

There is very little info on Frederik and Joachim's relationship with their French relatives.

Thanks, Polyesco.
It was a pleasure for me to summarize that chapter.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Thanks for your effort, Muhler. It shows again that if you want to marry into a royal family, you need a lot of determination but also a long breath and patience.
I can easily belive that Mary had her doubts but also knew that she had to deal with all obstacles to make it to the end. She had to take a high risk and won in the end, same applies to most other royal brides, Kate, Meghan, Maxima ... it takes a special breed of woman to see this through.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:20 PM
Royal Highness

I agree with you Duke of Marmalade. The common woman would have to think long and hard to even want to live in a royal gold-fish-bowl where every spot of your life is critiqued. You would almost have to squash a part of your own personal views and become a royal of that country and their citizen's expectations which vary from place to place. Takes a very special strong woman, or man.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Great work Muhler

And thanks to Frederik & Mary for sharing such honest and personal accounts with us. Not something they had to, but because they are honest and because it gives a very good insight into who they are as persons and what have shaped them.

Thanks to Frederik. For a very honest book. Thank to him for daring with his life challenges, seeing them in eyes, telling out loud about them and doing something about them. It takes a big man to be open about also the difficult things. And that's what makes Frederik so loved and respected. The book gives a very great insight of who Frederik is as a person. He will be a strong and respected king!

And thanks to Mary. For holding on! As Ellen Hillingsøe says. She is that newcoming Crown Princess who was most scared of all that attention. And she was hunted and totally unprepared for that. She just wanted the 'person Frederik', and she obviously did not understand what all that 'Crown Prince' thing meant. She was sent to Paris for her safety - but she must have had many lonely nights there. The thought Mary talks about: "I was like.. are we together Frederik, or what?" hit me. Because as a ordinary private person you very well understand her, right? If one's boyfriend hides you away and hides you in and out of the back doors and not will be seen in the public with you. If you are a ordinary private woman without any knowledge of a Danish Royal House you become damn unsure. And Mary was unsure lots of time we learn. And Frederik did all this in the very very greatest love for Mary. He just wanted to protect her. And he did. And Mary can see that today. And what they both say time after time - also shines out of them - they have found a soulmate.

This book is a great way to warm up to Frederik's coming birthday. I am looking forward to reading it to the end.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:51 AM
Majesty

so interesting to read. thanks mulher for translating! it sounds like between F&M it was love at first sight.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

The next chapter is ready - at long last.

It was a very difficult chapter to translate for me. It's hard to explain; When I translate I usually have fun doing it and/or find a rhythm in the text and then the translation "flows".
That was not the case in this chapter though.

It is nevertheless a very relevant chapter about Frederik's mindset today. How he has settled in his role as Crown Prince and is now comfortable with him being king one day.
It's a chapter where we see what Frederik has learned - and between the lines - what he still hasn't learned or acknowledge if you prefer.
It's also a chapter where Frederik very much reflects about his life. Something that is typical for a middle-aged man IMO.
We also learn about a Frederik who needs to goof around or go hippie from time to time.
And we learn about how Mary and Frederik approach their tasks in different ways.
And not least we learn how Frederik, Victoria and Haakon view their roles as CP's and these roles are slightly different depending on the country and person.

But read for yourselves here: King

And for the entire text: https://app.box.com/s/szpzlhukts2c5leh4cf490478lzpeenj
Old 04-15-2018, 08:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The next chapter is ready - at long last.

It was a very difficult chapter to translate for me. It's hard to explain; When I translate I usually have fun doing it and/or find a rhythm in the text and then the translation "flows".
That was not the case in this chapter though.

It is nevertheless a very relevant chapter about Frederik's mindset today. How he has settled in his role as Crown Prince and is now comfortable with him being king one day.
It's a chapter where we see what Frederik has learned - and between the lines - what he still hasn't learned or acknowledge if you prefer.
It's also a chapter where Frederik very much reflects about his life. Something that is typical for a middle-aged man IMO.
We also learn about a Frederik who needs to goof around or go hippie from time to time.
And we learn about how Mary and Frederik approach their tasks in different ways.
And not least we learn how Frederik, Victoria and Haakon view their roles as CP's and these roles are slightly different depending on the country and person.

Mange Tak Muhler! How much I enjoyed reading this chapter, thank you so very much for your hard work and time translating. I especially liked how the Crown Prince has embraced his French heritage: rather nostalgic because of his father's recent death, of course, but nevertheless very informative how the Prince embraces his French-ness with its incumbent directness and most certainly with its self-awareness and assuredness. France is, after all, the centre of the world, even if other people don't see it that way I await further translations with great anticipation: thank you again for your hard work
Old 04-16-2018, 03:29 PM
Commoner

Thank you so much, Muhler! I can imagine how much and difficult work the translating is and I really appreciate it.

That was really interesting to read.

Quote:
Frederik considers himself a Christian. Which is handy since he is eventually going to be the head of the state church.
I think that's my favourite quote from you
Frederik's thougts about religion and christianity are interesting to read - especially as it seems that he doesn't want to get to specific (which is understandable).

BTW: Is the Danish monarch still the head of the state church or must s/he only be a member of it?

I also thougt that it's interesting that Mary writes her speeches herself while Frederik doesn't.
(And maybe writing them by himself could help him to speak better in public? Escpecially when he is that good with writing? I can imagine that it's not that easy to hold a speech that someone else has written for you when you have such a distinctive way to express yourself as Frederik seems to have...)
Old 04-16-2018, 03:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

You are welcome, Iolanthe & Gerry.

Yes, the Monarch is the head of the Lutheran State Church, which is still the official religion of Denmark.

I think Frederik loathes giving speeches so much that even writing his own speeches is something he'd prefer not to do. And the fact that he almost has to rehearse his speeches at gunpoint, is to me an "overspringshandling".

I don't know the English word for that. It's something you do in order to avoid or postpone doing something you have to or ought to do.
Like watching an episode (of five) of a soap instead of start cleaning the windows. And then it's too late in the day, oh well, there is always tomorrow, next week...
Old 04-16-2018, 04:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
You are welcome, Iolanthe & Gerry.

Yes, the Monarch is the head of the State Church, which is still the official religion of Denmark.

I think Frederik loathes giving speeches so much that even writing his own speeches is something he'd prefer not to do. And the fact that he almost has to rehearse his speeches at gunpoint, it to me an "overspringshandling".

I don't know the English word for that. It's something you do in order to avoid or postpone doing something you have to or ought to do.
Like watching an episode (of five) of a soap instead of start cleaning the windows. And then it's too late in the day, oh well, there is always tomorrow, next week...
It's called procrastinating in English and I'm very good at it as well
Old 04-16-2018, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The next chapter is ready - at long last...But read for yourselves httpsKing

I saved this for after work, Muhler and was glad I did. I understand why you labored over the translation; there are a lot of concepts flying around in this chapter.

There is so much nuanced meaning here, Muhler. But you succeeded in covering that because I found myself trapping quotes throughout. That's a high compliment, you should know.

An indicator of your success is that I have never felt Freddie and I had anything in common. He is gorgeous; I am bookish and loooove public speaking; he married the perfect person for him, etc.

I find, however we share an inability to make art coupled with a compulsive need to appreciate art. We both prefer to get people to chat with us (curiosity about others in both our cases), we are both outdoorsy/action oriented/independent.

I find him more accessible, more dimensional and human having read the translation. Well done and thanks!
Old 04-16-2018, 06:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Thank you for the info on the Book, guess I won't be getting one now. This brings a question up here...........Europe, now there are dozens of countries and languages, so how does on operate there if there is no universal language so to speak? I don't want everyone to speak the same yet if one book is published in Danish and someone in say Spain wants a copy, they would have to know Danish also..........I find that interesting that there are so many different languages and yet it does not seem to have an effect on the countries....and here in the US, I find some that are born here can't speak English for all they know is *slang* language...try to figure that out on the phone is insane at times....

Sorry about that, well I for one will be glued to your translations of this book and will be saving them in my library here.........and you are very well appreciated for doing this for all of us here.
In my mind there is no question that it is all down to the many tribes living here in Europe. That has developed into nations. Each with their different languages/dialects and small variations in culture.
If you look at the Native Americans of North America, there were I don't know how many tribes as well, with just as many languages, which they fiercely preserved. So they had to resort to a pretty elaborate system of sign language in order to communicate.

Thanks LibrarianDaisy.

And thank you very much for your high and very encouraging praise, AdmirerUS. I'm glad the quotes made sense.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
=

Thank you Muhler
This book has been a treat to read (through your lovely translations). Some of the highlights for me...

Love that we got an insight into his role in the public audiences and his ease to speak to a variety of people.
"Also at the audiences, when he is standing in for the Queen. Then 70-80 take turn coming in and they are very different. ... Would you know, he talks with all of them? Each time a new face comes in, he hooks them. He goes straight at the engine driver, or whoever it is, and have a chat with him”.
How his natural curiosity has shaped his life, his love and eye for art...

Loved how Mary spoke of them as a team and how he supports and is proud of her "at the same times he leaves me room for me to work in my way, and if that creates interest and attention, he is happy about it. He’s glad to see me succeed and see me gain a solid foot hole, both as a person and as Crown Princess. He’s none the less because of that”.

And how he and the Queen grew closer as he got older, their trips together.

I could go on but a big thank you Muhler...

Old 04-17-2018, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Muhler, Did Crown Prince Frederik describe how he and Crown Princess Mary selected the names of each of their children?