"There is Something about Crown Princess Mary" by Emma Tom (2005)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
auntie said:
I don't know if she is considered snobbish, but it seems that she is a perfectionist in what the public perceives her and tries too hard and is not natrual enough.

I do not see any bad point! She respects her people and she tries to honour her position. I remember when they presented their baby, first leaving the hospital and later in their home-palace entrance, after a while Frederik moved to go into the house, and Mary asked him to stay more outside because all these people came there to see them. It's really the opposite than Mette-Marit, I've read that when she gave birth to Ingrid, and she was about to leave the hospital, all press and people were awaiting to see the baby in the hospital entrance, but MM escape from the back door, and she did not present the baby, only much much later, in their home ! I think also for Sverre, she did not present out of the hospital, as Mary and Letizia did!
For me it's not considering your people :mad: , Norwegians were very angry.
Sorry out of topic :rolleyes:

fandesacs2003 said:
I do not see any bad point! She respects her people and she tries to honour her position. I remember when they presented their baby, first leaving the hospital and later in their home-palace entrance, after a while Frederik moved to go into the house, and Mary asked him to stay more outside because all these people came there to see them. It's really the opposite than Mette-Marit, I've read that when she gave birth to Ingrid, and she was about to leave the hospital, all press and people were awaiting to see the baby in the hospital entrance, but MM escape from the back door, and she did not present the baby, only much much later, in their home ! I think also for Sverre, she did not present out of the hospital, as Mary and Letizia did!

H'mm I see your point about MM, but from a humane and psycological point of view, someone who always tries to be perfect, just shows a lack of something, that something isn't quite right. I just looked at pictures of Felipe and Letizia driving to their Christmas vacation, Letiza was sitting in the back with not a trace of makeuo, hair obviously not done, it was so warming to see her normal. Mary even had her makeup and hairdone when leaving the hospital after birth, everything seems to be a show, you have to admit, it's abit more than just making her country a service!

fandesacs2003 said:

It's also the protocol of the different royal houses -- it might not have just been Mette-Marit.

The Norwegian (as does the Dutch royal house) do not have a habit of showing their newborns until a day or two afterwards. The proud new fathers attend a (formal) press conference and release a few pictures of the newborn baby. But the baby does not get presented "live" and with the new mom until a few days later, when everyone is back at home.

The Danish, Belgian, and Spanish royal courts do not release a picture of the newborn baby immediately after the birth, rather everyone gets to see the baby (and the mom) when they all leave the hospital and there is a big "informal" photosession.

So the incident with Mette-Marit might not have been her choice at all. Furthermore, even if it were, I would absolutely have sympathy for her. Mette-Marit left the hospital only a few hours after she gave birth, while Mary and Letizia left the hospital a few days after giving birth. If I had just given birth and had all sorts of things happen to my body, I would be tired and not wanting to face the country's media either, makeup person or not. Imagine having to put on a smile and wave and stare at all those flashing cameras and answer questions when all you want to do is to sleep.

auntie said:
H'mm I see your point about MM, but from a humane and psycological point of view, someone who always tries to be perfect, just shows a lack of something, that something isn't quite right. I just looked at pictures of Felipe and Letizia driving to their Christmas vacation, Letiza was sitting in the back with not a trace of makeuo, hair obviously not done, it was so warming to see her normal. Mary even had her makeup and hairdone when leaving the hospital after birth, everything seems to be a show, you have to admit, it's abit more than just making her country a service!

Nevertheless, Letizia also when leaving the hospital, she had a nice makeup, hair well done, and even wearing some jewelery, this is not bad, it touching and human, every of us wishes to show our best image.

auntie said:

I don't know any women who would leave the hospital after having their baby without trying to look their very best - especially someone in the public eye. A woman's body going out of control with a bunch of strangers in the room is not an event to make a woman feel beautiful. And as noted, I don't even think Letizia braved that.

I must have missed the 'show' Mary gave after the birth though I watched all the videos. She kept walking to the exit and looking at her baby while she was talking to reporters. It was a pretty low key event - as low key as you could be with that crowd of reporters. A birth of an heir is never going to be that low profile.

But after only getting a few shots of den nye lille prins after the birth and one Christmas card before the christening in January, I was glad we were treated to what we got when the baby left the hospital. If Mary had snuck out the back door, I would have been upset.

And one thing about perfectionism. Of all the Crown Princesses, Letizia seems to me to be the most perfectionist. Since her marriage, she has been very careful not to make a mistake and I respect that. She married into perhaps the most tradition-bound monarchy outside of Britain and the care she took showed respect for the position and her country. She also was a star reporter for CNN where if you make a mistake on-air you don't last long. She made the appropriate choice for being a member of the SRF.

Mary comes from a PR background where image is important and she married into the DRF which IMHO has the most elegant and theatrical image of all the royal houses. Queen Margrethe certainly knows how to exude a very regal presence. Although in some ways they are down-to-earth, creating a certain image seems to be important to them. And as a royal watcher who only gets to see the images, I appreciate the care they take to give that certain image. I'm not a fan of royalty who tries to look like the girl next door.

Mary with her unusual looks and presence seems to fit right in with the DRF.

ysbel said:
And one thing about perfectionism. Of all the Crown Princesses, Letizia seems to me to be the most perfectionist. Since her marriage, she has been very careful not to make a mistake and I respect that. She married into perhaps the most tradition-bound monarchy outside of Britain and the care she took showed respect for the position and her country. She also was a star reporter for CNN where if you make a mistake on-air you don't last long. She made the appropriate choice for being a member of the SRF.

Yes. We should not forget that Letizia's wedding announcement surprized EVERYONE, even IMO her family. Have a look to the relative thread at this time. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f11/felipe-letizias-engagement-1161.html
After the first shock, the whole world was awaiting her to watch her and to blame any mistake she could do.

But she managed everything perfectly, it means that she is able and perfectionnist, and this is honour of her. She took a task very very heavy towards the people and also towards Felipe who trusted her and brought her in this position against all. Thanks to Letizia's behavior Felipe showed to everybody that he was right to choose her. For a girl coming from a completely other "planet" that Felipe's environnement this result can be obtained only by being extremely carefull and restless and she managed it:)

ysbel said:
Mary comes from a PR background where image is important and she married into the DRF which IMHO has the most elegant and theatrical image of all the royal houses. Queen Margrethe certainly knows how to exude a very regal presence. Although in some ways they are down-to-earth, creating a certain image seems to be important to them. And as a royal watcher who only gets to see the images, I appreciate the care they take to give that certain image. I'm not a fan of royalty who tries to look like the girl next door.

Mary with her unusual looks and presence seems to fit right in with the DRF.

Mary arrived already quite accepted by people and the DRF, her task was quite easier, but she still keep's trying hardly. IMO she is more sure of her charm, she looks like being at the stage when she knows that she is already the DIVA

ysbel said:
I'm not a fan of royalty who tries to look like the girl next door.

Very right, people need to dream with their royals, not to see them looking worst than them.:eek:
Both Mary and Letizia seems to realize people's wishes and they "play the game" very gracefull:)

Last edited:
I hear what all of you are saying, but I still feel, and have read many quotes in TRF that people feel that she isn't natrual or friednsly enough and people complain that she is too model like with the designer clothes etc. I feel that she looks fantastic, and after all this time it is evident that she and Freddie are in love,but should loosen up a bit, esp. as the DRF are known for being friendly and humane to us common folks.

The one thing I've learned by reading all of these internet message boards about the various crown princesses...is that regardless of what they do..they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. The crown princesses are developing their own roles to suit their individual personalities and their respective monarchies and IMO, they are all assets to their husbands and monarchies!

gattica28 said:
The one thing I've learned by reading all of these internet message boards about the various crown princesses...is that regardless of what they do..they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. The crown princesses are developing their own roles to suit their individual personalities and their respective monarchies and IMO, they are all assets to their husbands and monarchies!

Here Here Gattica ;) :)

"MII"

gattica28 said:

Well said gattica28. :)

fandesacs2003 said:
Ahhh, very interesting point, so she is considered to become "snobbish". Maybe

As an Australian, I have noticed that Mary certainly speaks and acts differently that she used to, when she was dating the CP.

But, I dont think its because she is "affected" by her new life, just that she is very "aware" of the things she says and does, are often in the public eye..and she wants to do the right thing for her husband, and the sake of the Danish Royal Family.

I think her aloofness, is somthing that will in time soften, as she becomes more relaxed and comfortable in her role. I think she has done an amazing job in what amounts to only a very short 3 years or so.

I think her 'formality" is actually more her trying to get the public princess image "right" ..to please everyone, as opposed to it being snobby behaviour.

I think she doesnt want to look like shes too casual, or too sloppy in her public dealings. Shes a Princess now..but I think shes very aware that once..she was just an ordinary girl..and in order to be a real princess...she must not act in an ordinary way now!

I think with time..she will relax more..and realise that being herself....is just fine. She has poise and manners enough to be Princess like....I think its just her wanting to be so "careful" in getting the look right, that sometimes she seems a little cold, or aloof.

I bet she is very different when alone with her Prince!

If any Australian member, or overseas member too, is interested, I know a shop near where I live where this book is available for $AU5.00

I think that the Mary is very professional actress. She smile but her eyes are cold. I don't think that she are a bad woman. Also I think that she does a nice choice when married to Frederik. But we see on the photos not real woman. We see the celluloid doll. We don't see how Mary look in privat life, without professional photographers, without perfect make-up. We see not mutch photos of her real life...

P.S. I'm not anti-mary

I agree, Amely. We don't see private Mary but her official image only. But I prefer it this way. I don't want see royals just after they get out of bed or in very private situation. We know that they are humans too and of course they are not always glamourus but do we really have to see that? I would expect tham always appear in public looking good. On the other hand I think their life is not always easy they also deserve some privacy, so I think cameras should not follow them everythere.

Mary

Well, I only whished that Máxima has some of the style and the class Mary has!

Máxima used to be one of the best dressed royal ladies, in the mean time jas been passed by all other royal ladies, with Mary proudly having the lead.

That's quite a "before" photo of Mary with the article...

Agree, Henri M. Mary is the best dressed crown princess in Europe right know. She also has that this something that caused look her glamorous, and some people hate her because of that.;)
Mary looked very oridinary as a teen, But still I think she had that something back then, btw she looked like a next door girl in this pic where she had a blue dress but she also seemed sweet.

Lakshmi said:
Agree, Henri M. Mary is the best dressed crown princess in Europe right know. She also has that this something that caused look her glamorous, and some people hate her because of that.;)
Mary looked very oridinary as a teen, But still I think she had that something back then, btw she looked like a next door girl in this pic where she had a blue dress but she also seemed sweet.

I just want to say that at earlier Marys photos her eyes and smile were more sincere and benevolent than now. Now I can see her sincere smile very seldom. Often her smile look like "hollywood" smile.
That all what I want to say.
I remember when I look Mary Donaldson at first time and I think that she are shy, but very serious in her love to Frederik :wub:
And I not hate CP Mary, Lakshmi ;)
P.S. Merry Christmas and best wishes in the New Year!!! :flowers:

Last edited:
I joined the library and this old book was available, so I took it out … I hadn’t read it before.

Some interesting things I hadn’t come across before were -

Mary first met Prince Charles in 1974. He visited the University of Tasmania and she toddled onto the path in front of him.

A lady named Bernadette Trotter relays that Charles laughed, and guided Mary back to her mother, asking “is this your daughter?”.

Mary took a writing course after meeting Frederik and his return to Denmark from the Sydney Olympics.

There she met a lady named Gabriella Paussi who was an instructor at “StarQuest”.

On Gabriella’s recommendation, Mary attended a free Saturday night session and spoke with Gabriella’s friend, the business owner Teresa Page.

Mary was hesitant about the cost, but decided to join, and started the course the next day.

She attended six of the eight Sunday sessions from November 12th to December 20th and a seventh session on February 10th the following year, 2001.

Sometime later Teresa ran into Mary at the gym in Bondi Junction and made arrangements for Mary’s final session, but it appears it never happened.

Mary undertook not only cat-walking and being photographed, but acted in a scripted role with a male tutor and and did an improvisation class.

She also did the abundance visualising session alonside Gabriella and was told by Teresa she needed to access her vulnerability because she had quite a hard look.

Several Australian celebrity photographers were paid by different Danish magazines to hunt down the mystery girlfriend after Mary and Frederik’s trip to Port Douglas and the Whitsunday Islands in October 2001.

Frederik was spotted boarding a Thai Airways flight back to Denmark and the days of secrecy were now coming to a close.

One photographer, Jamie Fawcett, shot thousands of photos of Mary at this time, while also following Nicole Kidman and Robbie Williams about Sydney.

At one point he and a female Danish journalist where outside Nicole’s Darling Point home at three am when a security person drove off in their car, the journalist asleep in the back seat and their exclusive photos of Mary from earlier in the day also onboard.

The Danish consulate, as well as the police, became involved before the dust settled.

Mary was under twenty-four hour surveillance at this point … her identity wasn’t yet publicly known … and her daily routine was just going to work, driving home, changing into gym gear and running down to the Bondi Junction gym.

Later … Mary now aware she was being followed … some of the photographers bought her a bunch of white roses and presented them to her as she exited a pub.

They introduced themselves, shook Mary’s hand and told her who they were working for.

Once her name became public shortly after, many more photographers joined the fray.

Then when it became known Mary was about to move to Europe, two Danish magazines hired private investigator Ben McDonald to raid her rubbish bin.

Much personal information came from this, but there were no takers in Australia who would publish the details, unlike Denmark.

A very easy to read book, very Australian in it’s tone.

The local library has it sitting in the Australian History section, rather than the Biography section, which seemed a little funny to me.

But, if/when Mary becomes Queen of Denmark, perhaps this little book will be an historical record of the last days of her life before she became a public figure.

I enjoyed reading it.

Last edited:
Here is an extensive excerpt from the book.

It covers some of Mary’s working life at the “Love” agency and her involvement in “Buzzle”.

(I posted the four-part documentary about “Buzzle” some time back in one of the other threads. Mary appears in three of the four episodes.)

And her first night out with Crown Prince Frederik as part of a group of twelve.

Not just at the “Slipp Inn”, but at “The Establishment” and the “Starr Bar” which used to be atop Sydney’s old IMAX theatre.

(There is now a new IMAX that has recently opened in place of this older building.)

The DJ details how they had the “Starr Bar” to themselves… it was opened especially for them … and how they danced up a storm.

There used to be several black and white photos of the group at the “Starr Bar” on the internet from this night, though not ones including Mary or Frederik.

By 3.30am some were still keen to continue and Mary was suggesting a further venue in Oxford St.

https://newmatilda.com/2005/12/20/oh-what-night/

Back
Top Bottom