The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Aristocracy

Does anyone know how many pages are in this book? It seems odd to me Lady Colin would have so much material on such a ridiculous topic to even make enough pages for said book.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

According to the book's Amazon page, the hardcover version is 512 pages long.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm amused by the title, "the untold story" perhaps due to the fact that is probably almost 100% lies.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

This is the difficulty with this kind of book. The author knows the BRF don't sue. She's also being careful to make the kind of accusations that can't be demonstrably proved to be false, failing DNA testing which we know is not going to happen.

So, the 'Lady' can basically say what she likes and get away with it. This is how all sorts of myths and stories become, to some people at least, considered fact.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

I do not know what is written, but I am sure there are many untold "real" stories, that have been hidden and forbidden. The onyt stories told in the "Official Biographies", are the propaganda that one wishes to make true.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
I do not know what is written, but I am sure there are many untold "real" stories, that have been hidden and forbidden. The onyt stories told in the "Official Biographies", are the propaganda that one wishes to make true.
Not quite sure what you are getting at. Are you saying that official biographies are untrue and merely "propaganda", the inference being that "Lady" Colin Campbell's scurrilous rant is actually "the real deal"?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:32 AM
Nobility

her next book could be about Queen E II beeing transgender - and all her children taken from Gardeners wife .. or s.th on that line ...
Old 04-22-2012, 06:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Think you've got it the wrong way round. Stories like "Lady" Colins tend to be just that, stories. Official biographies, by there name are ones approved by the people in the book themselves.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I agree that there is a kind of official "pure" biography and that actually there are some hidden facts in every family.But in this case, I find ridiculous the fact about the cause of the " artificial insemination",if it could have been true it would have been because of health problems, but of course not of the reasons described in Lady Campbell's book.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
her next book could be about Queen E II beeing transgender - and all her children taken from Gardeners wife .. or s.th on that line ...
You just had to go and give her ideas, didn't you? If the story appears in her next book, I'll know who to blame!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

The author has a complicated sexual identity history of her own Lady Colin Campbell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
The author has a complicated sexual identity history of her own Lady Colin Campbell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Now I get the point, it worked out the old theory of Freud, via her weak point she tries to invent more about the others.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Serene Highness

Hi. Oh dear, I am going to go against the flow on this one - so what else is new?

Anyway, curiosity prompted me to look her up and even watch her on YouTube - and I am impressed. A woman with a difficult childhood that made her strong - and insightful. She sees behind the curtain - having been forced to live behind the curtain herself. Aristocratic in her own right. Articulate and amused - she is someone who tells it like she sees it - no apologies. An easy mark for people to make endlessly rude jokes about - yet she is clearly very very interesting - someone one would want to have a conversation with. Watching the YouTube snippet with her and Borat I have decided that she is now on my list of people I want to meet and have afternoon tea with.

She has a track record of 'saying it out loud' before anyone else -

"Colorful biographer Lady Campbell first annoyed the upper classes with her explosive 1992 biography of Diana, Princess of Wales.

Called 'Diana In Private', it was the first warts-and-all account of her disastrous marriage to Charles and came out shortly before Andrew Morton’s controversial biography.

Lady Campbell, also known as Georgie Campbell, later published a second book, 'The Real Diana', which revealed more shocking ‘secrets’ including a string of alleged affairs. Scandalous at the time, the book was derided by royal experts.

And then there is the matter of her roman a clef on Mrs Safra.

So why should this book be spurious? If true, it explains a lot about the Queen Mother. And she's not the first to say it - I know I've 'heard' this rumor before over the years here and there - just the first to explore it in depth and say it in the Queen's Jubilee Year. The cheek. I'm not saying it is or isn't true - just that the person who reveals the long established insider rumors is being pilloried for a reason. Of course it will be derided by royal experts - isn't that a given? In a country where lineage is all? Isn't she pulling aside the curtain - 'who's that man behind the curtain', and all that?

It is amazing if true - audacious if untrue (but not of her making though she is casting it abroad) - yet it has elements of authenticity. Certainly David and Wallis calling her 'Cookie' alone explains her anger with them.

I'd be interested in a real conversation about why this must be untrue, or how well Campbell's evidence for it stands up. Is it all hearsay - or does the hearsay have credibility?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Part of me doesn't want to even acknowledge this 'story', but it's being given significant prominence by the Daily Mail so is likely to become a source of some debate. A new book is apparently coming out which claims that the Queen Mother was actually born to the Bowes Lyons' French cook. I'd not take this one with a pinch of salt, rather a couple of shovel fulls:

Queen Mother: Fury over book's claim that her and her brother were born to family's French cook | Mail Online
Campbell is as daft as they come,one never knows whether she is going to or fro the institution...Oh well,poor dear.....she suffers of mental incontinence...c'est ca...
Old 04-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Look, I never said Campbell's book was true or untrue. I just said that "Official Biographies", are only what the subject wants written about themselves and they are to some degree propaganda. I, suspect, that the Queen Mother hid, certain, things, she deemed improper for people to know about her. There seems to be a move afoot to make her a saint of some sort. She wasn't.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Courtier

As I recall Elizabeth was referred to as "cookie" because she was rather plump and of course Wallis, who treasured her own VERY slim figure used it merely to annoy Elizabeth. I don't recall where I read this but it makes sense to me, at least as much as the Campbell accusation.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I suspect that the Queen Mother hid certain things she deemed improper for people to know about her. There seems to be a move afoot to make her a saint of some sort. She wasn't.
But The Queen Mother's parentage is not a reflection on her character - surely the two are separate - no more than Lady Colin Campbell's unfortunate childhood (beyond her control) makes her 'worthy' of being the butt of jokes and degradation.

The Queen Mother seems to have been a woman who liked fine clothes, dressed well, had a flair and charm evident in all her pictures, had a sense of humor, liked her whisky and a smoke - am I correct? She also supported her husband and was a motherly sort, raising her own children and tending to her first two grandchildren in the absence of their mother. Seems all good overall - she did what was expected - and did it well. Why would who her mother was be a reflection on her character or 'sainthood'? I assume in all of this she had points of view, likes and dislikes, a salty tongue when called for and probably a temper. DNA: Human.

If true, this is more a reflection on the 'system' of bloodlines of the aristocracy - and I think that is what Campbell is also indicting - the fiction of the pure bloodline, going to the core of the class system. If true, its more about nurture than nature.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Let's also not forget that this woman's main source with all of this is the Duke of Windsor. Now, setting aside the doubts some people have as to whether she ever met him and Wallis at all, does anyone expect the former Edward VIII to say anything positive about the Queen Mother? Given all the history and bad blood on both sides during that saga, I wouldn't put it past him to make up the most embarrassing and hurtful stories he possibly could.

She's taken a bunch of rumours, that she knows won't/can't be challenged by the people involved, and put them in a book that she knows will receive lots of press. It's a pretty low way of improving one's 'reduced circumstances'.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Let's also not forget that this woman's main source with all of this is the Duke of Windsor. Now, setting aside the doubts some people have as to whether she ever met him and Wallis at all, does anyone expect the former Edward VIII to say anything positive about the Queen Mother? Given all the history and bad blood on both sides during that saga, I wouldn't put it past him to make up the most embarrassing and hurtful stories he possibly could.
Is that the case? It's solely from the Duke of Windsor? Meaning it originates from the 1930's and not before?

Quote:
She's taken a bunch of rumours, that she knows won't/can't be challenged by the people involved, and put them in a book that she knows will receive lots of press. It's a pretty low way of improving one's 'reduced circumstances'.
I'm assuming you mean the author Campbell. From what I gather she is quite wealthy - owns 3 or 4 pretty nice places, one in London, one in the south of France. If that's 'reduced circumstances' I want to be so afflicted.

But I get your point. You are saying that this book is intended purely to make her money. Isn't that the point of any book?
Old 04-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Heir Apparent

There is that tried and true maxim: never let the truth get in the way of a good story.