The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Hers on his.
Here's the scanned picture (George V & Queen Mary 1935).

Old 12-07-2011, 08:52 AM

It's actually hilarious. I can't believe how catty Queen Victoria was! "Mary is older but no thinner..." and "the royal mountain came to tea"....What?!

Old 12-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Heir Apparent

What an image...."the royal mountain." How droll! And Warren, that picture of Mary and George is really sweet and the first I've ever seen of PDA between these two. Thanks for that.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:53 PM
Majesty

I have finally started reading William Shawcross's biography of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother after having the tome in my possession for a few years. I've read almost 100 pages and finding all the details somewhat overwhelming. I feel as though the lady's personality is being lost in the minutia. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 07-10-2017, 12:03 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Why didn't someone warn me? I just received my hardback copy of this book today in the mail and thankfully, our mailman drives the mail to our mailbox station. Otherwise, I think the poor man would have suffered a hernia carrying this book around. Its *huge*.

I'm looking forward to reading it and from what I gather so far, Shawcross has really done his research with a lot of cooperation from those that were close to QEQM especially HM, The Queen.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:19 AM
Courtier

Well it seems I now have a new book to add to my list. And you say it is *huge*, just how many pages is huge Ms.Opisi? It is very hard keeping up with you and yr books, I don't read that fast like you do.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:22 AM
Nobility

I've not read it except for excerpts, but the excerpts are laden with good details.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:25 AM
Majesty

Its 943 pages including the preface, prologue and the epilogue. That's not including the photographs, the prologue, the bibliography, the family trees and the footnotes.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:30 AM
Nobility

I figured! the excerpts are almost a day-to-day run-through of her life. Either Mr. Shawcross got a look at her appt. books, or he looked at Billy Tallon's diaries. Either way, he doubled back to confirm details. This is absolutely the most detailed biog ever.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:50 AM
Majesty

Its very intensive. Shawcross had been given exclusive access to the Queen Mum's personal papers, diaries and letters along with archives of just about anything to do with her lifetime from her childhood at Glamis Castle to her final hours at Royal Lodge. HM, The Queen was very cooperative in this project and its the reason why Shawcross' biography is an authorized one.

I've just started it and I've a feeling I'm going to know the Queen Mum quite a bit better as a person after I've finished it.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:57 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Its very intensive. Shawcross had been given exclusive access to the Queen Mum's personal papers, diaries and letters along with archives of just about anything to do with her lifetime from her childhood at Glamis Castle to her final hours at Royal Lodge. HM, The Queen was very cooperative in this project and its the reason why Shawcross' biography is an authorized one.

I've just started it and I've a feeling I'm going to know the Queen Mum quite a bit better as a person after I've finished it.
I read this book twice through, and just ran through it, smiling the whole time, feeling glorious. Shawcross takes you back through time. He doesn't just write about the Queen Mother, he takes you back and puts you in her presence and you're just going through life at her side. It's amazing.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes I agree. It's a very thick biography but I just loved it, especially the letters and diary observations and little footnotes on who various people in Elizabeth's life were, including her friends in early life.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:49 AM
Commoner

I love her childhood nickname! Buffy! The closeness of "Buffy" and her brother David, their mother's "two little Benjamins" was very sweet. This book really humanized the late Queen Mother so well.