"The Queen Mother: The Official Biography" by William Shawcross (2009)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
It's actually hilarious. I can't believe how catty Queen Victoria was! "Mary is older but no thinner..." and "the royal mountain came to tea"....What?!

:previous:What an image...."the royal mountain." How droll! And Warren, that picture of Mary and George is really sweet and the first I've ever seen of PDA between these two. Thanks for that.

Recommendations for biography of Queen Mother

I am looking at two biographies of the Queen Mother:

"The Queen Mother: The Official Biography" William Shawcross
"The Queen Mother" Lady Colin Campbell

Any suggestions on which to choose?

Also, just finished a biography of Queen Victoria's daughters (by Jerrold Packard). It was a good historical overview of QV's family.

I would avoid anything written by "Lady"Colin Campbell unless you are a devotee of writing at the level of People magazine and grocery store tabloids.

NGalitzine said:
I would avoid anything written by "Lady"Colin Campbell unless you are a devotee of writing at the level of People magazine and grocery store tabloids.

Ooh... That's good to know! Definitely not my style.

Ooh... That's good to know! Definitely not my style.

'Lady' Colin Campbell's book is poisonous. Shawcross' is basically a travel-log. "then her Majesty greeted the Mayor of Johannesbug wearing a peach chiffon dress by Hartnell". It makes a nice doorstop.

scooter said:
'Lady' Colin Campbell's book is poisonous. Shawcross' is basically a travel-log. "then her Majesty greeted the Mayor of Johannesbug wearing a peach chiffon dress by Hartnell". It makes a nice doorstop.

Do you have any alternative recommendations? Thanks!

scooter said:
Yes, when I get home tomorrow, I will send you some. Happy new year to all!

Thank you! And Happy New Year to you as well.

I have finally started reading William Shawcross's biography of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother after having the tome in my possession for a few years. I've read almost 100 pages and finding all the details somewhat overwhelming. I feel as though the lady's personality is being lost in the minutia. Has anyone else experienced this?

Why didn't someone warn me? I just received my hardback copy of this book today in the mail and thankfully, our mailman drives the mail to our mailbox station. Otherwise, I think the poor man would have suffered a hernia carrying this book around. Its *huge*.

I'm looking forward to reading it and from what I gather so far, Shawcross has really done his research with a lot of cooperation from those that were close to QEQM especially HM, The Queen.

Well it seems I now have a new book to add to my list. And you say it is *huge*, just how many pages is huge Ms.Opisi? It is very hard keeping up with you and yr books, I don't read that fast like you do.?

I've not read it except for excerpts, but the excerpts are laden with good details.

Its 943 pages including the preface, prologue and the epilogue. That's not including the photographs, the prologue, the bibliography, the family trees and the footnotes. :D

I figured! the excerpts are almost a day-to-day run-through of her life. Either Mr. Shawcross got a look at her appt. books, or he looked at Billy Tallon's diaries. Either way, he doubled back to confirm details. This is absolutely the most detailed biog ever.

Its very intensive. Shawcross had been given exclusive access to the Queen Mum's personal papers, diaries and letters along with archives of just about anything to do with her lifetime from her childhood at Glamis Castle to her final hours at Royal Lodge. HM, The Queen was very cooperative in this project and its the reason why Shawcross' biography is an authorized one.

I've just started it and I've a feeling I'm going to know the Queen Mum quite a bit better as a person after I've finished it.

Last edited:
Its very intensive. Shawcross had been given exclusive access to the Queen Mum's personal papers, diaries and letters along with archives of just about anything to do with her lifetime from her childhood at Glamis Castle to her final hours at Royal Lodge. HM, The Queen was very cooperative in this project and its the reason why Shawcross' biography is an authorized one.

I've just started it and I've a feeling I'm going to know the Queen Mum quite a bit better as a person after I've finished it.

I read this book twice through, and just ran through it, smiling the whole time, feeling glorious. Shawcross takes you back through time. He doesn't just write about the Queen Mother, he takes you back and puts you in her presence and you're just going through life at her side. It's amazing.

Yes I agree. It's a very thick biography but I just loved it, especially the letters and diary observations and little footnotes on who various people in Elizabeth's life were, including her friends in early life.

I love her childhood nickname! Buffy! The closeness of "Buffy" and her brother David, their mother's "two little Benjamins" was very sweet. This book really humanized the late Queen Mother so well.

Back
Top Bottom