"The Firm: The Troubled Life of the House of Windsor" by Penny Junor (2005)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Idriel said:
Somewhat immature?
You tell Diana would spend hours talking to her footman. Well if she had a loving husband next to her and wasn't left on her own, I don't think that would be necessary.
Nobody (the RF, Charles, the Palace) even tried to help her.

I agree that Charles should have rearranged his commitments, especially the trip overseas, to spend more time with her before the wedding, but she had no need to be lonely. She seemed reluctant to socialize with people (except the staff), perhaps because of her low self esteem and bulimia. But lots of people tried to help her, and she was encouraged to invite as many people as she liked to the palace.

una said:
Throughout her life, Diana was subject to irrational jealousies, Camilla was not the only one, do you know the story of Tiggy and the Christmas party?

Charles and Diana would have broken up anyway. They were hopelessly mismatched, and Diana would have found some other target for her jealousy. Her emotional problems would have made almost any marriage a short one.

Who is tiggy?

I agree, Una. I have read an enormous amount about this and think many of your points are right on. The whole situation was very sad.

I should also add that Junor has been known for making public the view of Charles and "his circle" including King Constantine, the Van Cutsems, the Palmer-Tomkinsons, etc. so if the book does have that slant it would not be surprising. I have not read it and don't have plans to at this point.

auntie said:
Who is tiggy?

Tiggy Legge-Bourke. She's the lady who was close to the Royal Family (I think her mother was Princess Anne's lady-in-waiting) that Charles hired to help him out with the boys after the divorce but before Diana's death. She was kind of a big sister to them, more than a nanny. (Tiggy was there more often after Diana died.)

But Diana was jealous because it looked like Tiggy was trying to be the boy's mother. And Diana thought that Tiggy was having an affair with Charles and accused Tiggy at this Christmas party of aborting Charles' baby.

Tiggy is married now and has started her own family, but she still seems to be close to Charles and the boys.

Tiggy is the one who caught flack for letting Harry rapell down a cliff without a helmet.

I am reading the book at and the end of the chapter when she speaks about Robert Fellowes, who did not support Charles in keeping Camilla and that it was causing problems, she actually agreed--this coming from a woman who always supported Charles!! Let's see if she slants back to Charles' direction!!

I have read Burrell's book. While much of it was almost pro-Diana, the episodes about how often and lengthy Diana would call on him were unreal. When he was on family vacation, which was scheduled around her conveniece, he would be on the phone with her for hours everyday. Even when his wife, Maria, got mad, she still would call Burrell at all hours to have a shoulder to cry on. It wasn't like Diana didn't know Burrell was married and had a young family, she didn't care.

I agree, that book, although meant to be pro-Diana, unintentionally revealed alot about her emotional and behavioral patterns. From reading that book, I lso think he unintentionally revealed how obsessed he was with her lol!

Alicky said:
I agree, that book, although meant to be pro-Diana, unintentionally revealed alot about her emotional and behavioral patterns. From reading that book, I lso think he unintentionally revealed how obsessed he was with her lol!

Obsessed? That is an understatement about Paul Burrell. He ignored his own wife for Diana, and I don't mean that he was romantically in love with Diana. I believe Burrell is actually "not attracted to women" (My personal opinion). I think Burrell wanted to know everything that was going on with Diana and be her friend to boost his ego as being "the Princess' rock." In all actuality, he was a snake in the grass.

tiaraprin said:
Obsessed? That is an understatement about Paul Burrell. He ignored his own wife for Diana, and I don't mean that he was romantically in love with Diana. I believe Burrell is actually "not attracted to women" (My personal opinion). I think Burrell wanted to know everything that was going on with Diana and be her friend to boost his ego as being "the Princess' rock." In all actuality, he was a snake in the grass.
Totally agree!

tiaraprin said:
I am reading the book at and the end of the chapter when she speaks about Robert Fellowes, who did not support Charles in keeping Camilla and that it was causing problems, she actually agreed--this coming from a woman who always supported Charles!! Let's see if she slants back to Charles' direction!!

I was floored by at least one comment she made about Charles (since she has IMO always sucked up to Charles and the royals), that he was weak. Yes, she said it.

And I agree, Burrell had to have been obsessed. But I feel rather sorry for him now, since he's been reduced to a reality show to pick an "American princess." I wish he had had more dignity/strength of spirit like her chef (who belongs/belonged to this forum, Darren), who talks about his work and recipes (and the Princess's taste in food, etc.) but who hasn't exploited her with "revelations". (I feel guilty, I have bought tell-all books, but not the latest by Simmons.)

iowabelle said:
I was floored by at least one comment she made about Charles (since she has IMO always sucked up to Charles and the royals), that he was weak. Yes, she said it.

And I agree, Burrell had to have been obsessed. But I feel rather sorry for him now, since he's been reduced to a reality show to pick an "American princess." I wish he had had more dignity/strength of spirit like her chef (who belongs/belonged to this forum, Darren), who talks about his work and recipes (and the Princess's taste in food, etc.) but who hasn't exploited her with "revelations". (I feel guilty, I have bought tell-all books, but not the latest by Simmons.)

OH MY GOD!! Darren was Diana's Chef???? (passed out over chair):eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

tiaraprin said:
OH MY GOD!! Darren was Diana's Chef???? (passed out over chair):eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Yes, have you talked to him?

He even has a website.

tiaraprin said:
OH MY GOD!! Darren was Diana's Chef????
Sorry but on the member list, no-one is registered as Darren. Do you know if he changed his name, and if yes what's the new one? Thanks.

iowabelle said:
Yes, have you talked to him?

He even has a website.

I have never spoken to Darren, I have spoken to Warren though:p Warren is in Australia.

I really didn't mean to offend Warren. I should know better, people are sensitive these days. Big frowny face -- to me, not Warren.

Has anyone read The Housekeeper's Diary by Wendy Berry? I'm pretty sure it was banned in Great Britain -- but boy does she dish the dirt on C & D, especially at Highgrove. There were some details of what she wrote that were collaborated in other sources I had read so I think it must be fairly accurate. Just curious if others have read it and what they thought. Now I'm off to buy The Firm!

Yes, I've read it. How did you like the part about James Hewitt staying over with Diana and the boys while Charles was gone?

You know, I got mine while Princess Diana was still alive. I'll have to re-read it and see what a role Burrell had, I don't really remember him too much in that book.

iowabelle said:
I really didn't mean to offend Warren. I should know better, people are sensitive these days. Big frowny face -- to me, not Warren.
Wrong thread?

Emily said:
Has anyone read The Housekeeper's Diary by Wendy Berry? I'm pretty sure it was banned in Great Britain -- but boy does she dish the dirt on C & D, especially at Highgrove. There were some details of what she wrote that were collaborated in other sources I had read so I think it must be fairly accurate. Just curious if others have read it and what they thought. Now I'm off to buy The Firm!

I have a copy of the book you speak of. It is quite interesting and was banned in Great Britain. She lets it all out, the good, the bad, and the downright ugly if she has accurately recorded things. She talks about Charles' impatience and temper, Diana's emotional tears on the back steps of the kitchen, Harry vomiting in the car on the way to Highgrove, and her eventual disillusionment with the Wales and royalty.

tiaraprin said:
I have a copy of the book you speak of. It is quite interesting and was banned in Great Britain. She lets it all out, the good, the bad, and the downright ugly if she has accurately recorded things. She talks about Charles' impatience and temper, Diana's emotional tears on the back steps of the kitchen, Harry vomiting in the car on the way to Highgrove, and her eventual disillusionment with the Wales and royalty.

Wasn't there a scene when she had set up a nice dinner on a card table for Charles and Diana, and she heard screaming and glass being broken, and when she went in, the table was overturned and Diana had run away? (Maybe that was Burrell.)

iowabelle said:
Wasn't there a scene when she had set up a nice dinner on a card table for Charles and Diana, and she heard screaming and glass being broken, and when she went in, the table was overturned and Diana had run away? (Maybe that was Burrell.)

Yes, that was in Wendy's book. I think she wrote she saw Charles picking up the broken cups when she entered the room.

I've finished The Firm and really enjoyed it. Like tiaraprin, I was surprised Junor was so "realistic" about PC since she always has been supportive of her. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and thought it quite a balanced account all the way around.

....sorry mistake I made in typing...should read "since [Junor] has always been so supportive of [Charles].

Idriel said:
Sorry but on the member list, no-one is registered as Darren. Do you know if he changed his name, and if yes what's the new one? Thanks.

Look under theroyalchef. That's the name he has used here.

To be fair to Charles, Dale "Kanga" Tryon had some sort of mental health problem in her final years. Her husband divorced her and she was apparently sectioned under the Mental Health Act. When Charles tried to cut the strings, she would follow him to polo matches and generally make a nuisance of herself. I'm not saying Charles was right to drop her, but her own husband and children did the same thing.

I thought Kanga had some awful condition like MS or something that eventually killed her. I never knew she had a mental health issue.

I thought I read that she ultimately died from injuries following a suicide attempt - "falling" out a window - at a mental health facility where she was being treated. Did anyone else read this? As I recall, after the fall she was confined to a wheelchair and then ultimately died. Can anyone comment on this?

What did you think of Penny Junor meeting the Duke of Edinburgh at The Gold Medals Awards for his trust?? Ms. Junor was asked to give out some awards and when Prince Philip was introduced to her, he was rude, cold, and stomped away from her!! He may not like her, but hey show some class Philip (what am I saying, he has never really shown that!) His people invited her, so get mad at them!!

Dale Tryon

Emily said:
I thought I read that she ultimately died from injuries following a suicide attempt - "falling" out a window - at a mental health facility where she was being treated. Did anyone else read this? As I recall, after the fall she was confined to a wheelchair and then ultimately died. Can anyone comment on this?
Yes, I think you are right. Lady Tryon received lots of magazine/press coverage here in Australia, and towards the end you could sense something was amiss. She had previously been discreet, but began making statements about her relationship with Charles seemingly designed to reinforce her perceived role as a central figure in his life. It was all very sad, as she was once such a vibrant and fun person.

Back
Top Bottom