The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-20-2010, 07:31 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

There is a thread in the Electronic Domain.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...iii-27084.html

Old 08-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

I doubt whether the Duchess of Windsor was in many of The Queen's palaces.
She would have been in Fort Belvedere, but that isn't one of The Queen's places now.
She was at Balmoral in 1936 and then later at Buckingham Palace in 1972 for the Duke's funeral, but would The Queen allow filming there anyway and especially a film about 'the abdication'??? And, a film by such a low-life as Madonna??
I suspect all that would be anathema to her.

Larry

Old 08-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Wallis, I believe, visited Buckingham Palace, Sandringham and Balmoral. I don't think the Queen will let them do interior shots...thats what film sets are for.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Could you supply some credible medical evidence that David suffered from any neurological dysfunction? I know he stuttered . . . badly, in which case the prospect of public speaking could posibly have made him a tad tense?...
I said that this was all rumour and theory. Where have I defended this vociferously?These are eschatological rumours surrounding the couple- paleese!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
KIng George had a neurologial dysfunction dysfunction that would have shortened his life with the burden of being a monarch - as it did. He could hardy give a speech.In oreder to calm himself down he chain smoked. That is why the Queen Mother resented Wallis and Edward because they were sending George - or bertie on a suicide mission by him being crowned king. He had a difficult time of it and there is even a theory that he did not have sexual relations with Elizabeth but that they took his sperm and impregnated her.So if all of this is true you can understand why the Queen Mother was imaplacable. This is another theory surrounding them.
Marg means this quote and it might have been helpful to start with the highlighted area.

Any word on this movie? Has it begun filming yet?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Commoner

I look very much forward to watch the movie about this fascinating couple! I hope that it will eliminate some prejudices.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Administrator

We have a thread for discussion of Madonna's film "W.E." here.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Nobility

"Behind Closed Doors,
the tragic, untold story of the Duchess of Windsor"

by Hugo Vickers

Publisher: Hutchinson (7 April 2011)

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01...ages/cover.gif

Behind Closed Doors: Amazon.co.uk: Hugo Vickers: Books

V cover
promotional use, free of copyright
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'Behind Closed Doors'.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	278591  
Old 11-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Heir Apparent

^ Thank you for letting us know, Frank22! I wonder what else will be new. We'll soon find out I suppose.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for this info, frank22. What first struck me about the pictures on the cover of the book is how feminine and vulnerable Wallis looks. I wish there were more information about "Behind Closed Doors" available on the Amazon site. Should be quite a read.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Nobility

Title: Divas Rebeldes
Author: Cristina Morato
Publisher: Plaza y Janes
Spain
The book contains a chapter dedicated to the Duchess of Windsor

Presentación del libro "Divas Rebeldes" de Cristina Morató / Eventos / Sala de prensa / Me Gusta Leer - Random House Mondadori
Old 02-14-2011, 07:40 PM

There have been some good suggestions here on books to read on Wallis Simpson as well as the lives of the couple. She seems an interesting character, and I look forward to reading more about her!

Can anyone recommend any good books about Edward VIII himself? I have read that he was either a) a romantic who gave up the throne for true love or b) a selfish Nazi-sympathizer who would have made a horrible king.

We all know there are at least two sides to every story, and I'd like to go find out some more. However, it seems like much of what I've been able to find is people's opinions, not substantiated by documentation, or you know, facts.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Start with his own bio.: A King's Story.
You can get it here at Amazon
Amazon.com: A King's Story,The Memoirs of The Duke of Windsor: Duke of Windsor H.R.H. Edward, Illustrated with Photographs: Books

or try your local library. I got lucky, our library had this book along with a host of others, including Wallis' story: THe HEart has it's Reasons.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Nobility

Title: THAT WOMAN a biography of WALLIS SIMPSON
Author: Anne Sebba
Editorial: Weidenfeld and Nicolson
August 2011
Old 07-12-2011, 03:39 AM
Nobility

Video of Hugo Vickers where he talks about his book dedicated to the last years of the duchess of windsor:
Old 08-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Royal Highness

"That Woman: The Life of Wallis Simpson Duchess of Windsor" by Anne Sebba (2011)

Some more information about a shortly to be published title about Wallis

That Woman: The Life of Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor by Anne Sebba
Published 25 August 2011

Amazon

Blurb:
"
The first serious yet sympathetic biography by a woman of the Duchess of Windsor"

This will be the first serious yet sympathetic book by a female biographer to explain the story of how an American divorcee became a hate figure for allegedly ensnaring a British King from his throne. It focuses on the core conflict of her life in the 1930s, with particular reference to her impoverished American childhood as a motivation for her ambition. 'That woman', so called by her sister-in-law the new Queen Elizabeth, was born BessieWallis Warfield in 1895 in Baltimore, and she endured a childhood of relative obscurity which sharpened a burning desire to rise above her circumstances. To win in the game of life was her unequivocal aim.

'That woman' was not only one of the most talked about women of her generation. In death she has become one of the most written about and reviled. But she has also become a symbol of female empowerment as well as a style icon. And yet Wallis Simpson remains an enigma. A witty woman who lived on her wits. 'A woman can never be too rich or too thin' - one of her aphorisms - is all that some people know of her. Neither beautiful nor brilliant, both her assumed as well as her known moral transgressions add to her aura and dazzle. Accused of fascist sympathies and Nazi friends, she is an object of fascination that has increased with the years.

V cover
promotional use - free of copyright
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	That Woman.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	283992  
Old 08-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Serene Highness

Looks interesting!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 PM

There is very little similarity between Diana and Wallis. The Duchess did nothing all her life to benefit humanity and Princess Diana did. I am not saying Diana was a saint, but one must look also at the good work she did for all her causes.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Aristocracy

"That Woman: The Life of Wallis Simpson Duchess of Windsor" by Anne Sebba (2011)

Here is my review of this interesting book:

That Woman by Anne Sebba: Book Review of the latest biography of Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Old 03-13-2012, 11:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you! I'm looking forward to reading it now