The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleq
I still feel that the best choice was made; Edward was a weak man and would had been a weaker king. Wallis would had been a horrible queen. But I do feel that the Queen Mother should had been kinder because she owed her "Queenship" to Wallis. I agree, both should had acted with better manners towards each other.
I think Edward VIII would have been a good king, but he showed extremely poor judgement and character. His duty to the throne and the British Commonwealth should have come first. With time and patience, he might have been able to overcome objections and marry Wallis in due course, but the truth is he really didn't want to be King in the first place. Abdication was inevitable.

I do not think Wallis was an honorable woman, but she certainly demonstrated a strong character and commitment to seeing her marriage through. She was definitely greedy and self-centered, but so was The Duke, so in that sense they were made for each other.

The Queen Mother was unrelenting for a long time, but the fact is, she too showed some forgiveness and kindness to The Duchess after her husband died in 1972. Given the era and standards of duty Elizabeth had been brought up with, she could not be expected to change her worldview, especially with Queen Mary's influence on her.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Courtier

why should The queen mother change her ways , least she stuck to what she thought , she didnt like wallis full stop . but I would of thought she would of been more off with " David " than wallis because he's the one who let everyone down , not wallis ????

Old 12-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1939
why should The queen mother change her ways , least she stuck to what she thought , she didnt like wallis full stop . but I would of thought she would of been more off with " David " than wallis because he's the one who let everyone down , not wallis ????
From what has been written, she blamed The Duchess more than The Duke, claiming, as did Queen Mary, that she led him "astray" from his duty as King. Of course, that is not true. In fact, the evidence is Wallis tried everything to stop him from abdicating, including insisting their relationship end and withdrawing her divorce petition.

At the end of the day, The Duke made the decision to abdicate of his own free will.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Gentry

what goes around, comes around.

it was impossible to marry a divorcee and still a king then.

now they made a wife and a future queen (or whatever title they will give her) out of a mistrees. and still a king!

Old 12-14-2006, 11:36 PM
Aristocracy

I do remember reading that supposedly Wallis didn't want to marry Edward, but he kept pressing his suit to the point that it became inevitable that they marry.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:51 AM

ulik - you should probably know that the divorcee status was a non-issue. Wallis Simpson was never a mistress - she was a girlfriend of the Prince of Wales. The establishment gathered fabricated evidence that Wallis was a Nazi spy so that they could convince several VIPs in the British system to work against Edward VIII. The Establishment needed Edward out of the way because he promised political change, reform and prosperity. He was far too popular for his own good. I remember my great-grandfather telling me that he had met Edward VIII when the King visited the docks in London where my great-grandfather worked. He said that the King had a glass of beer with the docks workers, chatted and laughed with them and this naturally won him many fans.

The people certainly didn't want Edward VIII to abdicate, the establishment did and it wasn't over divorcee status at all. Wallis Simpson was a scapegoat to cover up a coup. And for the record - she was never a mistress.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Labour Party is a constitutional party with a majority in the House of Commons at the time of the crisis. The Sovereign's powers are limited to "advise, warn and consult" and if the Prime Minister tells the King he cannot marry a twice-divorced woman, the Crown must accept the advice.

The Sovereign cannot be a source of independent political power under the British constitutional system. Parliament is sovereign and the monarchy is constitutional with the Prime Minister exercising the royal perogative.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
From what has been written, she blamed The Duchess more than The Duke, claiming, as did Queen Mary, that she led him "astray" from his duty as King. Of course, that is not true. In fact, the evidence is Wallis tried everything to stop him from abdicating, including insisting their relationship end and withdrawing her divorce petition.

At the end of the day, The Duke made the decision to abdicate of his own free will.
I believe that Wallis felt that if David did not abdicate that all would "come around" to her/their way of thinking. She could not conceive the situation where a "King" could be dictated to by parliament and the people. Least of all that his wish to make her his Queen could be thwarted.

As for the Queen Mother blaming Wallis..... she did. But on a purely personal level. We tend to forget that David was a dashing, debonaire batchelor who was also a beloved brother, brother-in-law and uncle!

Wallis took him away from his family and his throne, and, in the eyes of the Queen Mother, thrust her beloved husband into a role he had never been prepared for, and effectively removed her daughter from her and turned her into "The Heir". In short, their small, close-knit family (David included) was destroyed forever.

As for Wallis herself? Well, in those days men did not bring their mistresses to the family dinner table. And, like it or not, Wallis was not the innocent (virgin?) they were all expecting to join their family as future Queen.

The Queen Mother and Wallis obviously met, but they were never friends or contemporaries. I doubt they gave each other much thought at all as they had nothing in common.

Fate dealt a hand that both (for love) played out in anger, enmity and probably not a little regret.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Has anyone ever read The Private World of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor? If so, please give a good synopsis. I ordered this book back in October and every now and then I get a new ship date. I refuse to cancel my order because I really feel that its worth the wait.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
ulik - you should probably know that the divorcee status was a non-issue. Wallis Simpson was never a mistress - she was a girlfriend of the Prince of Wales. The establishment gathered fabricated evidence that Wallis was a Nazi spy so that they could convince several VIPs in the British system to work against Edward VIII. The Establishment needed Edward out of the way because he promised political change, reform and prosperity. He was far too popular for his own good. I remember my great-grandfather telling me that he had met Edward VIII when the King visited the docks in London where my great-grandfather worked. He said that the King had a glass of beer with the docks workers, chatted and laughed with them and this naturally won him many fans.

The people certainly didn't want Edward VIII to abdicate, the establishment did and it wasn't over divorcee status at all. Wallis Simpson was a scapegoat to cover up a coup. And for the record - she was never a mistress.
I am confused. How was she never a mistress? Are we assuming that they were never intimate while she was married to Mr. Simpson? What's the difference between girlfriend and a mistress when you are married to someone else?

There was definitely enough "blame" to go around." For me, most of it lies at Edward's door. He was King...he knew what was expected of him and what would be accepted by his people, family and government. Furthermore, his family viewed Wallis as an "adventuress." And while that most likely was not true...he never gave them (except the odd times she met his brother's and their wives as well as the time she was presented at court to the King and Queen) the opportunity to meet her. So how could they know her and form an opinion on their own?
Old 01-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well, Edward VIII always asserted that his relationship with Mrs Simpson was no more than just friendship.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:47 AM
Royal Highness

Isn't that interesting?

Quote from Wikipedia:

"Wallis allegedly became his mistress, although Edward denied to his father that she was, despite his staff seeing them in bed together as well as evidence of a physical sex act."

Her bio from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchess_of_Windsor
Old 01-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Wikipedia is an internet based resource which can be manipulated to suit peoples own ideologies. Whether this is the case (with the above extract) I do not know but it is worth keeping that in mind

In other words, its not always the most reliable reference.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:11 AM
Royal Highness

True it isn't the most reliable source. Heck, I can go and add my own two cents to the story whether its true or not regardless if I cite my references. In this case, the reference is "Diary of Clive Wigram, 1st Baron Wigram quoted in Sarah Bradford, "George VI" (Weidenfeld and Nicolson, London, 1989) p.145-147."

Now does that really mean its true? Absolutely not. It just means that it was written down and published.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Of course I just wasn't sure if you were aware (as I have found some aren't).

All the best.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Courtier

Duchess of Windsor

What's the best book on Wallis to get from Amazon? There's two but one looks to shed a more positive light on her and the other seems to focus on more scandalous stuff...
Old 11-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Nobility

“The Private World of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor"
Author: Vickers, Hugo
Publisher: Abbeville Press
August 1996
ISBN: 978-0789202260
Old 11-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Courtier

I'm reading this at the moment...

Amazon.com: The Duchess of Windsor: The Secret Life: Books: Charles Higham
Old 12-08-2007, 06:52 AM
Aristocracy

Opinion?

What do you think of it, Zembla? One review on Amazon was very bad.

I haven't got much time for either of them. I'm inclined to think that she was just a gold-digger and he shouldn't have given up the throne.

Attaining Grace
Old 04-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Gentry

Has anyone read "The Last of the Duchess" by Caroline Blackwood? It's a really great book, though a bit sad. Maitre Blum was psychotic!

So long and goodnight...