Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-02-2017, 10:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
The Duchess: The Untold Story by Penny Junor – digested read

‘After leaving school with one O-level in kennel hygiene, Camilla was a much sought-after debutante’

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-parker-bowles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Satire. Pretty funny.
Did either of you actually read the article that John Grace wrote? It is vile, vulgar and inaccurate.

The Guardian is an anti-monarchist paper. And reported blow-jobs their level.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:52 PM
Heir Apparent

It's satire. And I've read both the article and the book.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:14 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Actually I thought it was pretty good satire once I read it. Very good job at poking fun at royal "insiders" who know the "scoop" as in Camilla wouldn't have gotten out of bed to go to the registry hall unless he was there to assure her of all the wondrous things to come.

Anyone who read that article and took it seriously should reread it again.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Its very possible too that with both Camilla and Charles being on the young side during the "sexual revolution" of the 60s, both of them could easy state at the time "whatever in love means".

Perhaps Camilla, herself, was in a quandary. She was dating both Andrew and Charles at the same time. Andrew was dashing and debonair and Charles was a relationship more at the emotional level. I don't know. It could be that the dashing and debonair won out over the emotional. I do know that the Parker-Bowles marriage was more of the aristocratic open and discreet kind and with that, Camilla was able to explore the emotional relationship with Charles (at different levels) while still having the dashing and debonair Andrew.

It just so happens that in the end, the emotional bond between Charles and Camilla won out.
Just that! That all important and major aspect of the relationship between Charles and Camilla - the emotional bond - was always there. Even the much younger Diana recognised that. Whenever the physical relationship resumed is neither here nor there, it only cemented the other.

For me, I don't think there is any doubt who Charles' soulmate has always been. Jury still out on Camilla!
Old 07-04-2017, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Penny Junor speaks on a morning show about her book.

Charles and Diana love triangle branded 'posh Jeremy Kyle' | Daily Mail Online
Old 07-14-2017, 11:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Frankly it was so sugary I had to give up reading it, and it almost put me off Camilla.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:48 PM
Aristocracy

Osipi, where do you find books for 4$ and no shipping charges? I am another cheapskate when it comes to books and would love to know your source. Thank you
Old 08-14-2017, 08:18 PM
Majesty

My favorite supplier for my passion of buying books is abebooks.com

They're used books and old library books and donated books but they come at the right price for me.

What you get may surprise you. I got a first edition, signed copy of one of the Outlander series in hardback and paid less than $4 for it.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingnana View Post
Osipi, where do you find books for 4$ and no shipping charges? I am another cheapskate when it comes to books and would love to know your source. Thank you

I am a bookaholic- always have several books going.

But they cost nothing at all! Because my source is the local library.

(If my local doesn't have something I want, I just ILL it. Nothing easier!)
Old 08-14-2017, 11:48 PM
Majesty

It ends up being cheaper for me to buy and have the book in my mailbox than to drive down off the mountain into town to the small library there considering the amount of gas used. I also reread my books quite a bit and like knowing they're near at hand.

I will be getting the new Camilla biography but not until the list price goes down a bit. Not in any hurry to get it but I will eventually get it and read it.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:15 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Frankly it was so sugary I had to give up reading it, and it almost put me off Camilla.
Ditto - I got it from the library and I couldn't finish it as Junors tone and style was making me queasy. Also, there were no notes or references for me to check some of her assertions against. Felt like a rehash of the Dimbleby bio of Charles but without the sources to back it up. It did have some good pictures though so not all bad.

Giles Brandreth's book is still the better volume for the time being IMO.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreathOfLaurels View Post
Ditto - I got it from the library and I couldn't finish it as Junors tone and style was making me queasy. Also, there were no notes or references for me to check some of her assertions against. Felt like a rehash of the Dimbleby bio of Charles but without the sources to back it up. It did have some good pictures though so not all bad.

Giles Brandreth's book is still the better volume for the time being IMO.
I have that book here. Somewhere. I should dig it out an reread it again. I do like how Brandreth writes. I liked his Philip and Elizabeth: Portrait of a Marriage.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It ends up being cheaper for me to buy and have the book in my mailbox than to drive down off the mountain into town to the small library there considering the amount of gas used. I also reread my books quite a bit and like knowing they're near at hand.
I do purchase books I want to reread.
But these are few, only the ones I can't bear to part with!

(If I kept them all they'd fill my entire house and leave no room for anything else.)

Btw, if you like to read, Osipi, there is a book I think you'd love (one of those I bought when I found I didn't want to give it back).
It is The Goblin Emperor, by Katherine Addison.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:37 PM
Aristocracy

I'm not a fan of Penny Junor's work, with one exception. I thought her book about Prince Harry was stellar. Outstanding. Very thorough, very interesting read. Just putting that out there.