Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-28-2017, 04:15 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
but - well really, I'm not sayng Charles was innocent.. clearly he had faults and was to blame for the end of the marriage.. but would you, really go public with a lot of stuff about your ex that wasn't really true? esp if he was a public figure and this stuff would harm his reputation? of course there are times in any marriage even if it does't come to divorce, that there are "bad times" and we see our partners through angry lenses.. but we dont usually publicise it.
Frankly, at the time, if I thought going public with "my story" would send a few poisoned darts towards my ex husband, I most certainly would have knowing my state of mind towards him at the time. As it was, no one would have been interested at all in "my story" because its a story that happens to a million people all over the world. Diana was in the public eye and adored by millions so that's why it worked for her.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:27 PM
Majesty

We're kind of deviating from the topic of the recent Junor book and Camilla. Perhaps the mods could move the Charles and Di thoughts to the Charles and Di thread?

Tangents. They spew off in all other directions when you least expect them.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Well, I'm certainly not lying!

I pre-ordered the book a couple of days ago and It came in my Kindle shortly after midnight today, the 29th June 2017, which is when it was set for release.

Chapter 1 The Problem. (In which Penny Junor goes to Poundbery to see the Queen and Prince Philip and Charles and Camilla at 'Charles's town' and talks about his parents' consistent lack of praise for their son.)

Chapter 2 Debs' Delight. Talks about Camilla meeting Andrew PB.

Chapter 3 Medals not Money. is about Camilla's father's family background.

Chapter 4 History. I haven't read it yet.

Chapter 1 begins 'Thick early morning fog... as Penny makes her way to the town Charles created and she writes about its beginning.
Where did I say you were lying?

I am just posting a link and saying what Amazon has on their site. Not available till March 2018

LaRae
Old 06-28-2017, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

That's Amazon in in US. UK Amazon is June 29, 2017
Old 06-28-2017, 05:13 PM
Majesty

I saw the same thing. The release date in the US is March 2018. Its being released today in the UK and available for UK customers on Amazon UK. Curryong is in Australia and as its part of the Commonwealth, probably eligible for the UK release date.

At this writing it was still the 28th in my neck of the woods and 5 hours later in the UK and already the 29th in Australia.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It confirms her state of mind, but IMO its pretty shaky on the facts about her marriage. If you do know a bit more, you can see that she was REALLY a bit "crazy" at the time.. with the whole "throwing herself downstairs" story etc.
I feel uncomfortable because I feel that the book really is a giant ret-con and that Di was fibbing or misremembering wildly. If she was lying deliberately she was well lying.. if she was not remembering too well, she was clearly not in a good place mentally.
She, probably, was a bit crazy at that time. Her husband had a long time mistress he really loved and her marriage was a sham. And lying was not a one sided thing in this marriage. Charles, lied with the best of them. And Camilla was not a victim either. She was Charles mistress and Andrews wife. Andrew could have said, he had only had one wife to lay lay for his country.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm sorry, Pranter.
I am indeed in Australia, and I'm reading The Duchess at the moment. I wonder why that release date for the US is SO much later than other English-speaking countries. Perhaps they don't think there's much interest. It's probably been released in Canada, though.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:36 PM
Nobility

Just a silly question here about The Book.......does anyone think the perhaps Penny Junor will now work on another book to be released this time next year, the same book with a different cover and a few different words and still nothing will be said new for it is all just a rehashed of yesteryear?
Old 06-28-2017, 10:48 PM
Majesty

Actually, I think her next book that will focus on a member of the BRF will maybe be Kate. And then... maybe after that, Meghan if she marries Harry.

I don't think Junor has ever really written two biographies before of the same person. She, however may in the years to come write a book on Charles and Camilla's marriage. She's written a biography on Diana and also a book on Charles and Diana's marriage. As I stated before, the woman has 22 published books to her credit.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:00 PM
Nobility

JMO, I think the woman has a problem when it comes to Diana and Camilla. Besides I personally do not think she is that good an author......IMO, this smells of the old time thing called money....timing is everything in my book...
Old 06-29-2017, 12:23 AM
Majesty

There are biographers I like and biographers I don't like. Same thing with vegetables. I read them all though if I'm interested in the subject matter though. I can't reject something unless I know what I'm rejecting.

BTW: If any author had to depend on what I pay for their books to earn a living, I'd suggest they all get a secondary job. I'm cheap.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:38 AM
Heir Apparent

When I was young I used to haunt second hand book shops, many of them run by little old men who didn't seem to know what they were doing for much of the time. Most of those sort of book stores have gone but the memory of the bargains I picked up there are linger on. I bought many detective stories (my fetish) and some books on European royalty in such locales, and only one such shop remains nearby. However, there's always Kindle!
Old 06-29-2017, 12:48 AM
Nobility

Ah.........Books, they fill my heart with songs........the more the better I say. I have lots of books by one of my favorite authors, Sally Bedell Smith on the BRF......love her books. And like you if an author depended on me for money, he better have more then 2 jobs...........I scrounge around for books everywhere.

So if you buy this book by PJ, please give me a heads up on what you think as I trust your judgement.

Quote:
When I was young I used to haunt second hand book shops, many of them run by little old men who didn't seem to know what they were doing for much of the time. Most of those sort of book stores have gone but the memory of the bargains I picked up there are linger on. I bought many detective stories (my fetish) and some books on European royalty in such locales, and only one such shop remains nearby. However, there's always Kindle!

Oh you brought back some great memories that I have about those little dusty book stores, I so loved them as a kid, and that started my love affair with books.

For me personally, I have to have a real hard copy in hand and I guard my books like the crown jewels of the BRF......Thank you for the memories Curryong.....
Old 06-29-2017, 01:00 AM
Majesty

I've actually been walking through a mall with the hubby and once, passed by a Waldenbooks store without even glancing at it. Hubby put his head on my forehead in concern that I was sick or something. He's never known me to bypass a book store before. Thanks both of you for the memories of browsing old used bookstores.

I'm just going to shut up now and listen to Curryong. She's actually in the process of reading The Duchess as we speak.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
I totally agree.

I think Charles and Camilla and their camp should stop all of this self-promoting activity and just let this anniversary happen without fighting it.
Quote:
but - well really, I'm not saying Charles was innocent.. clearly he had faults and was to blame for the end of the marriage.. but would you, really go public with a lot of stuff about your ex that wasn't really true? esp if he was a public figure and this stuff would harm his reputation? of course there are times in any marriage even if it doesn't come to divorce, that there are "bad times" and we see our partners through angry lenses.. but we dont usually publicise it.
Leopoldine, Penny Junor wrote and has released it for exactly the same reason that Morton is re-releasing yet another updated anniversary edition of Diana: Her True Story . . . MONEY! It has nothing to do with Charles and Camilla and when you think about it, it has the ability to drive a wedge between he and his sons. Camilla has never done anything publically that would impact on Charles, William and Harry. It is absolutely NOT in any way in her best interests to have facilitated this book.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I'm sorry, Pranter.
I am indeed in Australia, and I'm reading The Duchess at the moment. I wonder why that release date for the US is SO much later than other English-speaking countries. Perhaps they don't think there's much interest. It's probably been released in Canada, though.
No worries....yeah makes sense it would be released first overseas...can't be near as much interest here in the States.

I'll just have to wait till it's out here!

LaRae
Old 06-30-2017, 12:15 AM
Nobility

Marg:
I totally agree with your comment that this book is all about money, the fact that it came out NOW for that says timing by the publishers and the author. And maybe another 15 minutes of fame would help the book sales. And I have never in my life heard or read anything that Camilla has done to make trouble for Charles and the boys and why would she? She is a mature lady married to a man she clearly loves and is in a very public position in life who knows her way around the world and the royal family so why would anyone think she would do that?

So maybe we will see another book by Penny Junor about the same royal family next year or in 5 years time with a different cover with the same story inside.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

er maybe not Charles but some would say that by having an affair with their father, Camilla did make the boys unhappy...
Old 06-30-2017, 01:14 AM

BookDepository has it for $30.85. It would be quite a bit less in US dollars (unless we unearth huge gold deposits overnight). They don't charge for shipping anywhere in the world as far as I know.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
er maybe not Charles but some would say that by having an affair with their father, Camilla did make the boys unhappy...
Lets not drag past events into this thread please? We actually have no idea whatsoever of what *any* members of the BRF felt happy or unhappy about.