The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 06-26-2017, 09:11 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,460
A total shame Penny decided to come out with this crapola this year. I guess she decided this year was the best time to do it. God bless it all though.
__________________

__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-27-2017, 03:21 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 11,110
Why is it ok for Morton to rehash his version of Diana's story and not allow Junor to put out Camilla's version of events?

All that is happening is the War of the Wales' Part 2 - with Charles now ranged against his sons. They have constantly thrown their father under the bus this year with their 'we got no help when Mummy died, we had to walk behind the coffin, we couldn't talk about her death' etc etc.

The Junor book is coming out now because Camilla's 70th birthday is coming up. Remember that Diana ensured that she was on the front page when Charles threw a party for Camilla's 50th birthday only a few weeks before she died so the anniversaries of her death and Camilla's milestone birthdays will come together.

This book is simply undoing all the hard work that Charles and Camilla have done over the past 20 years and the two who will be rejoicing most will be Diana's sons - they have one aim in life - to finish what they believe was Diana's aim - destroy Charles totally even if it means the end of the BRF. Harry's statement that 'no one wants to be King or Queen' is a clear shot across the bows at ending the monarchy and complete Diana's ambition as they see it.

These books have reignited the entire story and I am sure that the next polls will show a massive drop in support for Charles and Camilla and Diana's fans will rejoice again.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-27-2017, 05:16 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 761
I just read this thread and have read other sites on this subject so I just have a few questions here..

Why doesn't any one think that this Penny Junor is now writing a book just to make money? Does she need another 15 minutes of fame?

After all the timing is perfect to rehash this entire time period and this books make no one look good.

I think and this is just MO...is the ghost of Diana haunting Penny Junor perhaps? And why? Diana is gone, she died that is a Fact.....and with all the books and news articles, forums discussions I seriously doubt there is anything left to be told....

Everyone person involved from Charles, Diana, Camilla and friends all made horrible mistakes and unfortunately one past on through a horrible accident....nobody was perfect and all suffered even HM, so can people realize that and carry on.

The most important ones what are going to suffer through this is the boys, William and Harry again.

Think that PJ will write the same book next year and the year after with the same story to fill those coffers of hers?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-28-2017, 11:55 AM
Nico's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,923
Interesting all the fuss about this book : A PR weapon from Clarence house or a long waited and unbiaised second version of the war of the Wales ?
I'm quite amused about the double standard, if not the hypocrisy, expressed by some judging this book a lie, a distorsion of the truth and of course a clear attempt to tarnish the memory of the late Princess of Wales.
Let's say the timing is unfortunate (and of course chosen for marketing reasons) , but we can argue that the Morton's book (also republished with much fanfare btw) was also , back in 1992 and still now, a lie, a distorsion of the truth and a clear attempt to tarnish the reputation of the Prince of Wales.
But still one is seen as a mere propaganda for the futur royal couple, and the other some kind of a feminine bible about the suffering of a royal victim.
After reading some chapters of mrs Junor's work, i've changed my mind and found it highly interesting, providing a good counterpoint to the popupar Morton's book (and the Panorama interview).
We have now, at last, the two versions of the story, like two faces of the same coin.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-28-2017, 12:55 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 9,661
Beautifully stated, Nico, and so true.

I also found the serialization of the book to be an interesting one. Of course, I had to read it with a grain of salt knowing that the parts chosen to be serialized by the Fail fell under the jurisdiction of one reporter called Richard Kay. Kay was very instrumental in Diana's publicity when she was alive and it would only be natural that his slant on the entire period back then would be very pro Diana.

It would have been even more discrediting to Junor's work on Camilla's life should she have glossed over or even bypassed the period of Camilla's life where she was intrinsically linked to the period during Charles and Diana's marriage. A good biographer looks at all aspects of a person's life and includes the good, the bad and the ugly as it happened from an objective point of view.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-28-2017, 01:39 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Interesting all the fuss about this book : A PR weapon from Clarence house or a long waited and unbiaised second version of the war of the Wales ?
I'm quite amused about the double standard, if not the hypocrisy, expressed by some judging this book a lie, a distorsion of the truth and of course a clear attempt to tarnish the memory of the late Princess of Wales.
Let's say the timing is unfortunate (and of course chosen for marketing reasons) , but we can argue that the Morton's book (also republished with much fanfare btw) was also , back in 1992 and still now, a lie, a distorsion of the truth and a clear attempt to tarnish the reputation of the Prince of Wales.
of We have now, at last, the two versions of the story, like two faces of the same coin.
well I'm not a great fan of Junor, I do think she's overly biased towards Charles and against Diana. but there aren't many bios of Camilla. And I understood that this is a NEW Book not a re issue like Morton?
and yes of course it is for money, essentially. she may like Charles and Cam but she's writing these books for money and they are published at a certain time, coming up to Cam's birthday, for a reason.. to attract sales.
So I might read it...whereas I don't want to raed any more of Morton's stale stuff about Diana.. He took advantage of her unhappiness, he's been living off it ever since and I don't believe a lot of what was said in DHTS. Perhap this book by Junor will be more accurate...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-28-2017, 01:55 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 9,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
well I'm not a great fan of Junor, I do think she's overly biased towards Charles and against Diana. but there aren't many bios of Camilla. And I understood that this is a NEW Book not a re issue like Morton?
and yes of course it is for money, essentially. she may like Charles and Cam but she's writing these books for money and they are published at a certain time, coming up to Cam's birthday, for a reason.. to attract sales.
So I might read it...whereas I don't want to raed any more of Morton's stale stuff about Diana.. He took advantage of her unhappiness, he's been living off it ever since and I don't believe a lot of what was said in DHTS. Perhap this book by Junor will be more accurate...
We're in agreement on the Morton book. Once I've read the first Morton book, I got a pretty clear idea of what was in the book. To buy and reread the "new and improved" version would just be feeding into the reasons for it being released again and abridged by Morton in certain areas to garner more green dollars for himself and to keep the memory of what was alive and well and kicking and the scandal that it was back then. I've read several (some may say too many) biographies on Diana and each one has added insight into the person she was. Morton, I guess, remains at the top of the heap for many readers because actually, its the closest thing we can get to an actual autobiography of Diana because of her involvement with the book.

However, I am very much interested in reading Junor's Camilla biography. I like reading different biographies on the same person written by different authors as they put their own slant on things sometimes even while being objective, present new information and gives a wider view of the person being written about. Perhaps this is the beginning of a long list of Camilla biographies. I don't know but I'm interested.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-28-2017, 02:13 PM
Leopoldine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
oh dear the pro camilla spin in full swing, is this really necessary? the less people hear about the war of the waleses again the better.
i thought that camilla had already neutralized her position with people, she'll never be loved but doesnt need to. i feel this kind of coverage will make the public mood into negativity again.
this may be a love story but it goes along with a lot of hurt and betrayal.
I totally agree.

I think Charles and Camilla and their camp should stop all of this self-promoting activity and just let this anniversary happen without fighting it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-28-2017, 02:20 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,909
I've bought 'The Duchess' book on my Kindle. It was released in Australia a few hours ago. It's the middle of the night here but I've already read a couple of chapters. Have to absorb it and read some more in the morning!

It's already causing all the negativity to well up once more. I'm on the Internet and blogs/forums quite a bit. The War of the Wales's has been fought since the serialisation has been served up in the DM and is continuing, as we write.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-28-2017, 02:24 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,358
No matter what folks are always going to hold C&C accountable for some of Diana's pain because of how things went on. Charles more than Camilla. They might understand the why's/how's of how these things happen...but doesn't mean they will exonerate them/him.

Best thing they could do is keep a low profile about it and just live their life. No need for rebuttals or more explaining. Just let it go.


LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 06-28-2017, 02:46 PM
Nico's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
I totally agree.

I think Charles and Camilla and their camp should stop all of this self-promoting activity and just let this anniversary happen without fighting it.
See !
Two books, two stories and of course two camps.
I think it's fair enough to have, at last, a late response to some outrageous claims made some 25 years ago.
If the timing is unfortunate, it's maybe because the same claims were republished, again, without any critical notice, of course to make money on the back of this sad anniversary.
I can't blame the other "camp" (if such camp exists) to say enough is enough and to try to say "you know what ? We have a different version of these events". The publishing world being what it is, of course they're making money on the back of this anniversary too.
Let's face it , the version of the events in this book is totally unbearable for some part of the public. It's unbearable now, it will be unbearable tomorrow. At least the story is out , for better or worse.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06-28-2017, 03:08 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 9,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
I totally agree.

I think Charles and Camilla and their camp should stop all of this self-promoting activity and just let this anniversary happen without fighting it.
Personally, I don't believe there are any "camps" involved with this book. Junor states that her information comes from talking with family and friends of Camilla. No where is it mentioned that this book is an authorized biography of The Duchess of Cornwall which would be a stamp of approval from the Charles and Camilla "camp" whereas the Dimbleby biography of Charles was authorized by the Prince of Wales himself.

Just putting a realistic slant on this.

BTW: these conversation threads are hazardous to my bank account. In the process of looking for some information on biographies, I ended up purchasing Junor's book "Charles: Victim or Villian" and went a step further and purchased Sally Bedell Smith's new Charles biography. The consoling factor is that I can feed my addiction with a cheap supplier.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06-28-2017, 03:21 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I've bought 'The Duchess' book on my Kindle. It was released in Australia a few hours ago. It's the middle of the night here but I've already read a couple of chapters. Have to absorb it and read some more in the morning!

It's already causing all the negativity to well up once more. I'm on the Internet and blogs/forums quite a bit. The War of the Wales's has been fought since the serialisation has been served up in the DM and is continuing, as we write.

Hmmmm Amazon says not to be released till 2018..?

https://www.amazon.com/Duchess-Untol...8&sr=1-1-fkmr1



LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 06-28-2017, 03:25 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
I totally agree.

I think Charles and Camilla and their camp should stop all of this self-promoting activity and just let this anniversary happen without fighting it.
Who says they are fighting it? its not an authorised biography, it is a book written by Junor and it has used Cam's friends etc as sources. Which is was bound to do, if its to be in any way accurate or well sourced. I think it is a bit hard to say that Charles and Camilla can't have biographies written because it comes across as "explaining their POV" or attacking Diana.
The truth is problaby somewhere In the middle between the books written that Favour Diana and those that favour Charles or Camilla. but one needs to read both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
. I've read several (some may say too many) biographies on Diana and each one has added insight into the person she was. Morton, I guess, remains at the top of the heap for many readers because actually, its the closest thing we can get to an actual autobiography of Diana because of her involvement with the book.

.
But really Diana wasn't in a good frame of mind, when she gave Morton the info for htat book.. so I think it is not really fair to her, to see it as a real source about her life.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06-28-2017, 03:40 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 9,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
But really Diana wasn't in a good frame of mind, when she gave Morton the info for htat book.. so I think it is not really fair to her, to see it as a real source about her life.
To me, its a real source into the knowing about Diana because it does reflect her state of mind at the time because of her involvement with the book albeit not confirmed at the time.

Your point is valid for those that would read the Morton book only and form their opinion from that book alone. We're not like that though are we?

BTW: I did get and read the Barbara Cartland story that was reputed to be Diana's favorite one. The book itself has 3 books in 1 and her favorite was one of them. I've not read the other two as actually, her favorite one was kind of boring for me to read. Perhaps it would have been different if I had read it as a teenager.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06-28-2017, 03:46 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Hmmmm Amazon says not to be released till 2018..?

https://www.amazon.com/Duchess-Untol...8&sr=1-1-fkmr1



LaRae
Well, I'm certainly not lying!

I pre-ordered the book a couple of days ago and It came in my Kindle shortly after midnight today, the 29th June 2017, which is when it was set for release.

Chapter 1 The Problem. (In which Penny Junor goes to Poundbery to see the Queen and Prince Philip and Charles and Camilla at 'Charles's town' and talks about his parents' consistent lack of praise for their son.)

Chapter 2 Debs' Delight. Talks about Camilla meeting Andrew PB.

Chapter 3 Medals not Money. is about Camilla's father's family background.

Chapter 4 History. I haven't read it yet.

Chapter 1 begins 'Thick early morning fog... as Penny makes her way to the town Charles created and she writes about its beginning.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 06-28-2017, 04:20 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
To

Your point is valid for those that would read the Morton book only and form their opinion from that book alone. We're not like that though are we?

a teenager.
It confirms her state of mind, but IMO its pretty shaky on the facts about her marriage. If you do know a bit more, you can see that she was REALLY a bit "crazy" at the time.. with the whole "throwing herself downstairs" story etc.
I feel uncomfortable because I feel that the book really is a giant ret-con and that Di was fibbing or misremembering wildly. If she was lying deliberately she was well lying.. if she was not remembering too well, she was clearly not in a good place mentally.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 9,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
It confirms her state of mind, but IMO its pretty shaky on the facts about her marriage. If you do know a bit more, you can see that she was REALLY a bit "crazy" at the time.. with the whole "throwing herself downstairs" story etc.
I feel uncomfortable because I feel that the book really is a giant ret-con and that Di was fibbing or misremembering wildly. If she was lying deliberately she was well lying.. if she was not remembering too well, she was clearly not in a good place mentally.
I can personally attest to the fact that it most likely presented her state of mind at the time just as my attitude and state of mind going through a pretty acrimonious divorce (actually around the time of Charles and Diana's troubles) could be very well likened to Diana's. When you're going through something like that, the spouse is very much "the bad guy" and seeing the positives in that person is almost next to impossible because of the situation. One doesn't see things objectively but very, very much subjectively and that was portrayed in the first Morton book.

If I was to have Morton write a book about my marriage when it was all going south very fast towards the flames, I don't think my story would have been much different from Diana's. I'd be out for blood and painting my ex in the most dastardly ways I could think of.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 06-28-2017, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,909
Ditto, Osipi, ditto. Breakups and divorces are rarely pleasant.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 06-28-2017, 05:01 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,365
but - well really, I'm not sayng Charles was innocent.. clearly he had faults and was to blame for the end of the marriage.. but would you, really go public with a lot of stuff about your ex that wasn't really true? esp if he was a public figure and this stuff would harm his reputation? of course there are times in any marriage even if it does't come to divorce, that there are "bad times" and we see our partners through angry lenses.. but we dont usually publicise it.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Sultan And The Queen - The Untold Story of Elizabeth and Islam by Jerry Brotton Rudolph Royal Library 4 04-28-2017 11:33 PM
"Prince William: Born To Be King: An Intimate Portrait" by Penny Junor (2012) Lumutqueen Royal Library 23 02-21-2013 07:25 AM
"The Queen Mother, The untold story of Elizabeth Bowes Lyon" by Lady Colin Campbell EIIR Royal Library 50 04-23-2012 02:09 PM
"Diana Inquest: The Untold Story" by John Morgan, 2009 ghost_night554 Royal Library 21 08-05-2009 11:17 AM
"The Firm" - Penny Junor iowabelle Royal Library 69 06-19-2007 02:21 PM




Popular Tags
austria birthday birthday celebration carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events denmark duchess of cambridge gala dress earl of snowdon family general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta margarita infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín juan urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monarchy news pablo urdangarín portugal pregnancy prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince harry prince nicholas prince oscar princess alexandra of luxembourg princess beatrice princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess mary casual style princess mary fashion princess of asturias princess sofia princess sofia's daytime fashion princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen maxima queen silvia rohan family romania state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge fashion vatican victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:05 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises