The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-24-2017, 01:20 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I took the time and actually read the serialization of the book in the Fail. One thing of note is that Junor gets her information from family and friends of Camilla and Charles and a lot of what I read, was already known publicly.

Junor's style is to neither glorify or denigrate those that she writes about and I do have to admit that the Parker-Bowles had quite an interesting marriage. At the time too of Camilla and Charles' budding romance, for many reasons, they both knew that marriage as an outcome was not in the books. Same with Andrew PB's romance with Anne.

From what I've read (so far), there is no playing a blame game against anyone discussed in the book. It is an interesting foray into the very different, and oftentimes difficult, twists and turns that royal romances can and do take.

We do know now though that regardless of the past, the ending is a happily ever after one. That's what really counts. Rocky roads and potholes and detours all play a part as they do in the lives of anyone.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I am also in agreement with Mirabel. The relationship that Charles and Camilla have today took years to develop and grow.
Camilla, today, is even on very good terms with Andrew Parker-Bowles and I imagine, that if Diana had lived, Charles and her would have come to an amicable, working arrangement as it seemed they were heading that way when she died.

I think that is optimistic about Charles and Di. Maybe in time they would have gotten to some kind of relationship but I'm not sure it would have happened too soon. but I agree about Chas and Camilla. I think that they have grown gradually into a deeper friendship and love as the years went by. He loved her when she was young but it was probably an immature love and she then loved Andrew. I think that Charles was too young then to marry and knew it, but he did have a deep feeling for Camilla, I think she was always special and when she married Andrew, he couldn't let go of her completely. And she remained fond of him but settled with the man she loved and believed would be the right husband for her. But I think over time she did grow disillusioned with the womanising and neglect.. and within a few years she turned to Charles as a lover because he was giving her the atteniton she wanted, form her man. and they grew into a more passionate love but Chas knew that he had to get married and tried to cool the Camilla friendship down to just friendship.
I think that Camilla now has a good friendship with her ex, he and she had a friendship as well as a marriage, and when they both settled down iwht other people, they were able to resume that good friendship and see their grandchildren etc with pleasure and be friendly with each other.
but while I would like to read A book about Camilla, I think the timing isn't that great. It is her 70th birthday true but it could look like having a go at Diana's memory, and justifying her own faults at the time of the marriage.. at the time of Di's 56th birthday... and the 20th Anniversary of her death.
Camilla, by and large has been of the "don't complain, don't explain" school, and I tihnk that has served her well. Charles did some PR for her, true but overall Camilla didn't talk to the press or complain about the past and just married Charles and got into her royal job, and in doing that, quietly, she won approval from the public, bit by bit..
If she authorised or smiled on a book at this time, it could be glossed as re fighting the war of the Waleses when it has now been over..

Old 06-24-2017, 02:13 PM
Majesty

Just a friendly suggestion here but sometimes with a long post, it is much easier to read if it is broken down into paragraphs instead of running all together. Then again, my eyes ain't what they used to be.

I don't think with Charles, it was a case of being too young to marry but rather that Charles knew with Camilla, just like Andrew PB did with Anne, there were huge obstacles standing in the way of marriage called royal expectations and royal protocol and royal rulings. Anne never could have married Andrew for the simple fact that he was Roman Catholic.

I definitely do think people are putting more stress on the Diana angle than needs to be. Its Camilla's 70th birthday. She's been a wonderful consort for Charles since they've married and people are wanting to know about the "real" Camilla and not just her involvement with Charles during his marriage to Diana.

On the point of Charles and Camilla sanctioning this Junor book, I have no clue. Perhaps someone else could fill in those blanks?
Old 06-24-2017, 02:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

sorry I agre that is not one of my best typing efforts.. but my keyboard is getting old!
I agree, thing is there were a LOT of reasons why Camilla and Chas werent going ot get married back in the 70s. She wasn't "quite" grand enough, (many of his girlfriends DID have courtesty titles).
And Camilla was average looking.. so she wasn't a great beauty...
She had a sexual past, so that meant she really would have trouble getting approved of.
And I think that Charles was young.. Again, I think the queen would have been a bit dubious about him getting wed at - 25. Philip too would problaby say "Play the field a bit more son, and don't tie yourself down too early".
but Perhaps Chas knew that even though he was young and he knew that Camilla's past would count against her..and that she was in love with Andrew PB, she was the girl he really really loved...
Old 06-25-2017, 09:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Camilla's birthday is July 17, she is turning 70 this year. Some consider it an awkward coincidence that Camilla's milestone birthdays coincide with milestone anniversaries of Diana's death while others don't consider it a coincidence since Diana instigated the tip offs to the press that resulted in her ill-fated romance with Dodi Fayed becoming public with one of her motivations believed to be to eclipse the a highly publicized 50th birthday celebration for Camilla spearheaded by Charles.
I think this is a very insightful post- there are a couple ways to see this.

I do think it is unfortunate that some people (the author, publisher, etc) decided this was a good time to publish this book. I believe Penny Junor is a big Charles supporter but how she thinks it is helpful to him or his current wife to stir this all up again I do not understand. I doubt it will sway people who still dislike Charles and Camilla for the affair, even if the whole situation was more complex than that.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:20 AM
Majesty

It very well may be that Penny Junor is a huge Charles supporter but I'm tending to believe that her editors and her publishers would much rather look at the timing of the release in relationship to raking in the green dollars.

Although Junor has quite a bit of say over the material in her books, she also has to work with other people that are primarily focused on the sales of the book moreso than its contents.

Its a primary reason, for example, why many producers and directors aim to release their movies around Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays where they would be more apt to draw in larger crowds buying tickets.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It very well may be that Penny Junor is a huge Charles supporter but I'm tending to believe that her editors and her publishers would much rather look at the timing of the release in relationship to raking in the green dollars.
I agree that this is the real reason for the release date.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
oh dear the pro camilla spin in full swing, is this really necessary? the less people hear about the war of the waleses again the better.
i thought that camilla had already neutralized her position with people, she'll never be loved but doesnt need to. i feel this kind of coverage will make the public mood into negativity again.
this may be a love story but it goes along with a lot of hurt and betrayal.
It is the usual clumsy attempt to gauge The Duchess' of Cornwall popularity among subjects. It is unclear what the Clarence House tries to achieve.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
One should not be surprised about the pro-Camilla spin. It is the usual clumsy PR from the British royals.
Personally, I don't think that the BRF PR teams have anything to do with the book or any of her books. She's written a lot of books with a large portion of those being dedicated to the British royal family members.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Personally, I don't think that the BRF PR teams have anything to do with the book or any of her books. She's written a lot of books with a large portion of those being dedicated to the British royal family members.
Ms Junor is a journalist. I happen to regard all journalists as people with lower social responsibility. It would be impossible to determine if the BRF PR team gives any recommendations to supine mass media. That is all.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Ms Junor is a journalist. I happen to regard all journalists as people with lower social responsibility. It would be impossible to determine if the BRF PR team gives any recommendations to supine mass media. That is all.
That is your opinion which is a valid one.

It does not, however, make it so. I don't like eating fish and I regard seafood as something vulgar to avoid and that's also valid but it doesn't by any means mean that fish is unhealthy and not to be liked by anyone.

In your previous post you stated "It is the usual clumsy PR from the British royals." Which is it? Impossible to determine if BRF PR team gives any recommendations or is it a fact that they do?

Just curious here as you seem to be contradicting yourself.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:46 AM
Nobility

Quote:
If you don't think or know if the BRF was involved in this book, then what did your previous post mean? It is confusing.

"It is the usual clumsy attempt to gauge The Duchess' of Cornwall popularity among subjects. It is unclear what the Clarence House tries to achieve."
Old 06-25-2017, 12:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
That is your opinion which is a valid one.

It does not, however, make it so. I don't like eating fish and I regard seafood as something vulgar to avoid and that's also valid but it doesn't by any means mean that fish is unhealthy and not to be liked by anyone.

In your previous post you stated "It is the usual clumsy PR from the British royals." Which is it? Impossible to determine if BRF PR team gives any recommendations or is it a fact that they do?

Just curious here as you seem to be contradicting yourself.
I am not contradicting myself. I view the book as a usual clumsy PR, and you do not view it this way. That is why "It would be impossible to determine if the BRF PR team gives any recommendations to supine mass media".
Old 06-25-2017, 12:11 PM
Majesty

I took it that one statement stated that it was a PR attempt with the book. The other statement says its impossible to determine if PR teams collaborate with mass media. Those are contradictory statements. Either the PR did or they didn't. Which is it?

Junor does not need PR teams to feed her anything. It has been reported (and I do believe it) that her sources come from Camilla's family and friends that were willing to sit down with her. The BRF's PR teams have enough on their hands with the press flow from the royals themselves and does not hold any kind of power over things that any other person would write.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:14 PM
Majesty

When something sells, any editor will publish things. Whether close to the truth, whether lied from A to Z. They do what they do. They need no any cooperation from Clarence House. To me Camilla seems the type who is always on her qui-vive (very careful) for media. Prince Charles, as revealed in published private correspondence with Mrs Reagan, seems to loathe it all, the uncountable amount of publications. So the best bet is that Ms Junor's editor smells money and just add another publication to the paper-mountain and that Clarence House just grinds teeth and is determined to ignore it all.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Although Junor has quite a bit of say over the material in her books, she also has to work with other people that are primarily focused on the sales of the book moreso than its contents.

Its a primary reason, for example, why many producers and directors aim to release their movies around Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays where they would be more apt to draw in larger crowds buying tickets.
As far as I recall this books been in the pipeline for a few years.. and probably the release date is to do with economics rather than Pen Junors decision. but I think that while she is a fan, of Chas and Camilla she's not always the smartest at making them look good.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:57 PM
Majesty

For all we know, Junor could be under contract with her publishing house to push out a certain amount of books in a certain period of time. We just don't know the facts behind the release of the book. We just know when.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:18 PM
Aristocracy

Charles' and (now) Camilla's court has been know to be quite activist in promoting their principals, at times to the detriment of other family members. Mark Bolland went at his job as if gaining the public's good will for the PoW was a zero-sum game and someone else in the family would have to be stepped on. I'm sure the book and other recent PoW/Camilla revelations is only the public beginning of a long-planned Clarence House effort to blunt the impact of the late August anniversary and temper it with carefully chosen anecdotal evidence of their principals' caring and sensitive natures.

When you look at the situation in that light, the timing of Harry's recently published quotes is almost comical. He's in the game too. He's competing with his father's court and their machinations for the public's attention.

Remember on May 5, when Sir Christopher Geidt was announcing Philip's retirement and he indicated that it was time for all of the royal households to pull together and have a more strategic and unified approach going forward and to set aside rivalries? He must have see all of this comin' down the pike.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
For all we know, Junor could be under contract with her publishing house to push out a certain amount of books in a certain period of time. We just don't know the facts behind the release of the book. We just know when.
well id' say its a no brainer that publishers will put it out when they feel the best sales are likely to happen. I can't see that the RF/Camilla have anything to do with that. and possibly the newspaper is perhaps trying to stir up a bit of controversy by serialising it when there IS goig to be press attention on Di's memory..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Camilla was deeply in love with Andrew Parker Bowles at the time, in spite of his wandering eye. According to Penny Junor, who apparently knows all about it, she was determined to marry him. She also had a 'past' (ex lovers/ boyfriends) which put her in the 'unsuitable' category.
well assuming that Junor has talked to some of Camilla's friends, I assume she does know something. I skimmed a bit and it seems as If yes, Camilla was in love with Andrew and determined to marry him.. Probalby the "Loving the Bad Boy" syndrome.. and that she believed she could win his love and even if he wasn't 100% faithful, he would love her best and tone down his womanising.
ANd I think that when she was married to him, the womanising didn't stop, and she found it harder to cope with than she had expected.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:46 PM
Nobility

Why resurrect all that turmoil that was the War of the Wales? The Penney Junor article does not make Charles sympathetic, calling Andrew Parker Bowles a cheating jerk does not help either. They're justifying their cheating by dragging their former spouses, not thinking how this could be affecting their adult children. William, Harry and Camilla's kids may have made their peace with the situation, but the bio is reopening old wounds and risking public blowback. All parties involved, Diana too, were in the wrong. Just own what you did and keep it moving.