The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Aristocracy

I've learned to read everything but take it with a grain of salt;what passes for "reporting" these days is very untrustworthy.I just read a gossipy-type magazine's article and was astounded with all of the factual errors and misquotes(things taken out of context and given a new meaning).I hope a great deal of money made from the concert goes to Diana's charities but know that there definately are other expenses that have to be paid with some of the monies earned;that's a typical practice of many non-profit organizations.The best non-profits do pay a lion's share of earnings to the charities involved.
Will this information be made public?

Old 06-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
The money is going to the Princess' Memorial Fund and to the various charities she supported. Her Memorial Fund and Charities help the less fortunate how is that a con? And you shouldn't count on the dailymail as an accurate source of information.
As I thought you knew, the memorial fund, of land drain fame, is a laughing stock. Many papers and TV channels carried the story of how the Princes are not giving the tickets or proceeds to Dianas old charities, just selling them the tickets at the same price as anyone else pays. As I understand it, If they make any profit after all expenses have been paid, that money will indeed go to the Diana fund who help such worthy causes as failed asylum seekers to pay lawyers like Cherie Blair.

If they are charging the charities full price for the tickets, it is a confidence trick and it doesn't alter the fact that the Brown book is a rehash, hence my comment.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:58 PM

The Memorial Fund used to have it's offices near the Marriot Hotel. On the next floor up was a TV studio I worked at for about 6 months. The Fund offices were almost always empty and laughingly, it had a plastic donation box on the welcome desk but no receptionist. This Memorial Fund is about as useful to society as Jeffrey Archer.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

You mean the Marriott County Hall? That's where we stay when we visit London, and I seem to remember seeing something about Diana Memorial Fund on one of the doors just as you turn off Westminster Bridge Road. I've gone in and out of the hotel at all times of the day, and I don't recall ever seeing anyone going to or from that office or seeing anyone inside the lobby.

As far as the book is concerned, I suggest that anyone interested in reading it, but not sure if it'll be a waste of money and not happy with Tina Brown from reading the reviews, just wait a while and pick up a copy second hand at Amazon or eBay if you want a copy to keep. That way you won't be spending so much and Tina Brown won't be getting royalties from your purchase.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:15 PM

That's the one. Above the Di floor were Channel Five studios for "Terry and Gabby". The offices closed I believe, as did the TV studio when the show was axed. I don't know what's in the MCH now but I'd be interested to know where the Di Fund relocated to and if it ever gets any visitors. If you walk through the archway closest to Westminster Bridge, there's a set of double doors and a staircase leading downwards to reception. That was where people had to sign in and I never once saw "Memorial Fund" next to a person's name.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Just in case you want to visit and donate BeatrixFan!

The County Hall
Westminster Bridge Road
London
SE1 7PB
Old 06-24-2007, 06:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
The money is going to the Princess' Memorial Fund and to the various charities she supported. Her Memorial Fund and Charities help the less fortunate how is that a con? And you shouldn't count on the dailymail as an accurate source of information.
if the money is going to her charities then why are they being charged for tickets?
Old 06-24-2007, 06:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
The implication is that had Camilla not been on the scene, Prince Charles and Diana might have had a chance.
i'm always surprised when i read something like this. for anyone to think that charles and diana had a chance, at any point, IMO is absurd. this marriage was a bad idea from the very beginning and to blame it's breakdown on camilla is crazy.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
IMO, I don't think Camilla is the major cause of the failure of their marriage. Like I've said in another thread, the two person must do efforts to make a succesful union. I'm not saying they didn't try, on the contrary. Perhaps they even tried too hard, they fooled themselves by thinking that one day it will be alright.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 06-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Royal Highness

i've just always felt that arranged marriages don't really work and i've always felt that this was arranged. for two people who have nothing in common to marry is a recipe for disaster.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Just in case you want to visit and donate BeatrixFan!
Oh no, I don't want to get stamped in the rush.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Serene Highness

Beach reading for Summer of Diana

Seacoastonline.com: Beach reading for Summer of Diana
Old 06-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
i've just always felt that arranged marriages don't really work and i've always felt that this was arranged. for two people who have nothing in common to marry is a recipe for disaster.
Quite right. I still think that at a time Charles and Diana had some 'affection' for each other, but maybe not love. I mean that we saw them held hands after polo match and even kiss without knowing that there were cameras around. They were not forced to do such acts so I believe they really like each other ... Saying that there was a total lack of feeling would be a lie.

Because it matters...
Old 06-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Some of them work, most only work for a short time. Those that work, work well, those that don't have either the rub along and have 'other' friends arrangement, separation or divorce route to follow.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Royal Highness

in some cultures where arranged marriages are the norm i think they have a better chance, i'll concede that, but i don't think that in charles' and diana's situation it ever would have worked...they were just too different. she may not have been worldly but she knew enough to know that she didn't want to share her husband and that it was unacceptable by today's standards. women in the highest echelons of society don't have to sit back and turn the other cheek when it comes to extramarital affairs because they don't have as much to lose. and i don't think that either was willing to learn enough about the other's hobbies/interests.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

This arranged marriage may have been nothing more than the two grandmothers getting together and surmising how charming it would be for Charles and Diana to get together then dropping heavy hints to the couple to that same effect.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-25-2007, 05:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
they were just too different. she may not have been worldly but she knew enough to know that she didn't want to share her husband and that it was unacceptable by today's standards. women in the highest echelons of society don't have to sit back and turn the other cheek when it comes to extramarital affairs because they don't have as much to lose. and i don't think that either was willing to learn enough about the other's hobbies/interests.
I doubt that either of them went into the marriage with a view to sharing, as you say times had changed and I think Charles was aware of it as Diana.

12 years can be a huge age gap unless you do have things in common. With that gap, you usually have different tastes in music, films etc, different aged friends that you may have had for years and value. 12 extra years can give another perspective to all sorts of things because of life experiences and opinions. Add to that the difference in pastimes, Charles loved hunting, shooting, fishing, country pursuits, Scotland and the country in general. Diana preferred the town, nightclubs, premiers etc. She was frightened of horses, could barely ride and I can see that Charles would have been impatient with that.

Anyone who has been through the arranged marriage system, (old money marrying old, or someone clawing their way up the social ladder) and survived it, could probably tell you of all the compromises they had to make. If one or both of them won't compromise - divorce or misery is the only option.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
This arranged marriage may have been nothing more than the two grandmothers getting together and surmising how charming it would be for Charles and Diana to get together then dropping heavy hints to the couple to that same effect.
Isn't that how most upper class marriages came about?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:55 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Isn't that how most upper class marriages came about?
Not only upper class! My father's first girlfriend was the daughter of my grandmother's best friend and the two mothers never forgave them when they broke up.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-25-2007, 08:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

And when you have Lady Fermoy as your maternal grand mother who took the side of her son-in-law, John Spencer, during the divorce of Diana's parents ... I don't know if I would have listen to her about who I'll have to marry.

Because it matters...