The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-01-2018, 09:41 PM
Nobility

Archipel des Passions by Charlotte Casiraghi and Robert Maggiori

The Professor and the Student, founders of Les Rencontres Philosophiques de Monaco (philomonaco.com) have written this ebook and published through Editions du Seuil, for kindle only so far, and in French.

Here they talk about it:
https://youtu.be/5n8S_SL_Ic4

You can buy it on Amazon or directly at the publisher:
Archipel des passions, Charlotte Casiraghi, Documents - Seuil | Editions Seuil

Or through Fnac in France.

The book is dedicated to Robert's brother Joseph and Charlotte's father "Stephano" (sic) who are both deceased.

Here are some quotes translated into English: https://thecrownhistorian.tumblr.com...l-des-passions

Old 03-07-2018, 04:15 PM
Majesty

Thank you for this info and especially the translations tatianacressida, much appreciated!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-14-2018, 09:01 AM
Nobility

The Casiraghi/Maggiori Book: Archipelago of the Passions

Well, where do I begin? The beginning? As you may know even if you are not reading it, because most of the summaries online explain it pretty well, it is, in the simplest terms, a rundown of the wide world of, indeed, the archipelago of the passions! Let's start where it starts: with love.

The first expression here is golden. It is written: "Poor porcupines!"

I love this analogy between porcupines and humans. How do porcupines stay warm in the icy winds? Well, it says (paraphrasing), they huddle together, they get close to each other. The problem is they are very prickly and stingy!
Just like humans! Casiraghi/Maggiori cite Schopenhauer to make their case: Humans, like porcupines, need each other, but at the same time, are have so many "repulsive qualities and unbearable defects". Schopenhauer talks of the vulgarity of humans, just like animals, in his essay on the Wisdom of Life (cited). We desperately need each other, but at the same repulse each other and cannot tolerate each other. We therefore invent good manners and politeness as a way to bear it.

But, Casiraghi/Maggiori continue, how can these good manners and politeness "neutralize every form of detestation?" Envy, rivalry, intolerance, even hatred! There are less dramatic but no less persistent evils like monotony and boredom. Well, one answer is: In some cases, the closeness is held together by reciprocal attraction and love: camaraderie, friendship, romance.
They mention a contrast: the person who does not love, who stays aloof and cold-- and the person who loves blindly, but who risks having it all 'shout down' (so to speak) and blasted forever.

Because, let's face it, when you love blindly and passionately and have your heart broken or are betrayed by a trusted friend, you lose something. You lose trust, you lose hope, you are devastated.
What do you do? Stay aloof, keep some mystery, some safe distance between you and others? Protect yourself from that horrible pain.... Avoid controversy and vulnerability, avoid exposing yourself, avoid risk, talk of anything but what is in your heart....

And now I go on my tangent: It's what I call Facebook Culture. Everyone showing his/her best light, being trite and silly and as beautiful as possible: never showing weakness or disability or sickness. "Look how happy we are! Look at us! Happy and beautiful! Not suffering!" Facebook Culture: A culture of people hiding the truth, hiding the heart, closing off and being impersonal.

Thoughts? Anyone?
Old 08-08-2018, 07:51 PM
Nobility

Charlotte always presents her best light. No vulnerability there. She’s made of steel like her mother. Very different from Stephanie, who had opened up about talking to her dead mother. I appreciate the emotional risk Stephanie took. She risked a very private confession and was laughed at for it. That’s why most people do the Charlotte/Caroline way. People laugh at what’s vulnerable. Cruel.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:18 PM
Nobility

translation from the text

Charlotte: You annoy me, with your quotes from Jankélévitch.

Robert: You always refer to psychoanalysis and poetry.

Charlotte: I would like to make you understand the matter of feeling, which does not go through a purely intellectual construction but by the body

Robert: Good stop, we'll see after....
Old 08-09-2018, 12:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatianacressida View Post
Charlotte always presents her best light. No vulnerability there. She’s made of steel like her mother. Very different from Stephanie, who had opened up about talking to her dead mother. I appreciate the emotional risk Stephanie took. She risked a very private confession and was laughed at for it. That’s why most people do the Charlotte/Caroline way. People laugh at what’s vulnerable. Cruel.
Only a cruel and stupid beast would laugh about what Stephanie said.

No wonder the women in that family appear so guarded

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 08-13-2018, 02:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Only a cruel and stupid beast would laugh about what Stephanie said.

No wonder the women in that family appear so guarded
Yes, I agree. I remember it. I think it was in the point du vue cover interview about 2006? Charlotte Casiraghi was seen on holiday with the magazine, walking down the street reading about Tante Steph! So sweet. See, I have always felt deeply that Charlotte idolizes Stephanie. See the way she looks at her. I can understand the admiration: Charlotte wants to be a free spirit too. Recall Charlotte saying "I doubt all the time." She would love to sing freely, but there is fear. Meanwhile, Stephanie wants to do something, she does it, regardless of how oddball it appears to conventional eyes (oh, I don't know, traveling with a circus, adopting elephants!), and I believe Charlotte admires that a great deal.

Beautiful femme fatale! https://web.archive.org/web/20051026...emonaco124.jpg
Andrea, Stephanie and Charlotte on Monaco National Day, 19 November 2000: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/715368722036100757/