The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-27-2017, 01:45 PM
Gentry

Lightbulb Stories about fictional royalty

I thought this would make for a fun thread because there are so many stories out there about made-up royals. Putting aside Meg Cabot, as I think we're all familiar with the Princess Diaries (very fun books, but lame movies, imo) we could still be here all day listing books that fit in this category. There's Danielle Steel's HRH, a book about a Liechtenstein princess. Steel explains why her princess of Liechtenstein is an HRH instead of an HSH by putting forth the notion of Christiana inheriting her mother's HRH status. Improbable, but ok. When I read it years ago, I was able to suspend disbelief and deal with it. I recently found a weird little book called Burbank Story: About a lot of things that, strange as it may seem, contains some royal characters. Two of the characters are the sons of a distant cousin of the Queen of Great Britain. And then there is another family of characters who are Finnish nobility. The ignorant characters living in California (Burbank ) keep referring to these Finnish nobles as royalty, so that's fun. The story is about an old Finnish fishmonger who by a strange turn of events ends up living in Burbank and creating a Museum of Finnish Culture. The author has an odd sense of humor, which I like mostly. A lot things in it are outlandish, but honestly, I couldn't put it down, and it was a very quick read. There's no "ending" either. At the "end," it says "to be continued," so I'm assuming the author has another installment in the works!

Old 10-27-2017, 04:36 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
This is a fun idea for a thread as there are good books out there that take royal persons and put them into fictional settings. I can think of two books right off the top of my head for this thread.

The first one is "Mrs. Queen Takes the Train" by William Kuhn. A delightful story of the adventures of HM, Queen Elizabeth when one day she gets the bright idea that she would like to see her yacht, The Britannia, once again. HM slips away into the world dressed in a hoodie and goes on an adventure. Panic ensues when HM is discovered missing and the entire book is just a joy to read. I actually learned about the book here on The Royal Forums from the author himself and was sent a copy of the book from him. From Goodreads:

An absolute delight of a debut novel by William Kuhn—author of Reading Jackie: Her Autobiography in Books—Mrs Queen Takes the Train wittily imagines the kerfuffle that transpires when a bored Queen Elizabeth strolls out of the palace in search of a little fun, leaving behind a desperate team of courtiers who must find the missing Windsor before a national scandal erupts. Reminiscent of Alan Bennett’s The Uncommon Reader, this lively, wonderfully inventive romp takes readers into the mind of the grand matriarch of Britain’s Royal Family, bringing us an endearing runaway Queen Elizabeth on the town—and leading us behind the Buckingham Palace walls and into the upstairs/downstairs spaces of England’s monarchy.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...akes-the-train

The second book is "Royal Secret" by John Bentley. It reads kind of like a historical puzzle similar to "The DaVinci Code" by Dan Brown. From Goodreads:

Following the death of an American bio-billionaire a thrilling exposé of mystery and intrigue links the power politics of today directly to the bisexual spy rings of Queen Elizabeth 1st. Through the eyes of a women seeking to uncover the truth of the death of the man she loves, The Royal Secret reveals the story of one of the world’s best known men whose rightful claim to the thrones of England and America has been concealed until this day.

From Washington to London to Paris and the castles of the Templars, Mrs G has only weeks in which to decrypt clues from the distant past of the Kaballah and the bloodline of Christ himself. As she delves into a world of mysticism she exposes modern science to criticism in its suppression of a superior occult intelligence known only to those who have ruled the world down the Centuries, as they still do today.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e-royal-secret

I'll be back when I think of more books. Thanks for starting this thread.