Royal magazines in Australia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aussie Princess

Nobility
City
n/a
Country
Australia
Why does it take so long for these to arrive in Australia? Yesterday, I saw Majesty and Royalty magazines in the newsagency, and they both had huge specials on the wedding of Prince Charles and Camilla, so they're obviously pretty old. Why don't they get them in sooner?

Someone must think because we don't have our Royal family living with us, that we can wait to read what happened. (They must also think we don't have television);) :)

I got fed up of reading things three months after the fact so I subscribed to Majesty. I don't bother with Royalty unless I read it at the library. They haven't moved on much and are simply a memorial to Diana (obviously aimed at the American market).

i really wanted read about Princess Diana and collection of her

Sara Boyce

Aussie Princess said:
Why does it take so long for these to arrive in Australia?
Weekly mags like Point de Vue and Hello! are air-freighted in, so we get them pretty quickly. General-interest magazines like Majesty and Royalty don't have to be so current, so they arrive by ship. The only thing I don't understand is why the latter two are so expensive, considering their lower frieght costs.

Warren said:
Weekly mags like Point de Vue and Hello! are air-freighted in.
You have Point de Vue in Australia? Are there much people who can read French down there?

Idriel said:
You have Point de Vue in Australia? Are there much people who can read French down there?
If students study French (like I did), then they should be able to understand French, but even then it's elementary. I'm assuming people whose mother-tongue is French would be able to read it too. :) The rest of the population probably wouldn't, but I guess they have to cater for everyone's language which is why they sell it here.

P de V

Idriel said:
As long as you can understand enough to get by, P de V is just fine; in any case its main attraction is the photographic coverage of Royal births, deaths, marriages, social events, and of course jewels.

Idriel said:

Probably a similar percentage as any other Western non-European country, it's one of Western Civilisations' great languages, as are German and Italian. I'm quite sure that about 60% of Anglo-Australians speak one of those languages, and most non-Australian born Australians speak English in addition to their mother tongue.

French is highly popular as a Language Other Than English (LOTE), in both Government and Independant schools.

A few of my more academic friends prefer Point de Vue, because it's in French, and yet devoted to stories of reigning ang non-reigning Royal Houses, that and the Royal-related words are rather easy to decypher for anyone not fluent in French.

Thank you all for your answers.
That's good to now, I have one more reason to come down there now.

really, what shop can you get point de vue? :confused: you can also learn german, japanese, italian, indonesian, chinese depending which type of school you go to. i've learnt or have studied those languages it was fun :)

I know that the foreign language bookshop in Flinders Street stocked Point de vue. If not, simply ask your newsagent where the nearest one would be that sells it.

flctylu said:
really, what shop can you get point de vue? :confused:

Borders stocks Point de Vue in their extensive magazine collection, I've seen it in there on numerous occassions.

Borders is also where I get Majesty :)

Oh, wow, I never even go to the magazine section of Borders. Now I have to!

JessRulz said:
Borders stocks Point de Vue in their extensive magazine collection, I've seen it in there on numerous occassions.

Borders is also where I get Majesty :)

I've bought Majesty from Borders but I've never seen Point de Vue. Is this from an inner-city Borders? I'm glad to know someone in Melbourne stocks it; we're a bit deprived out in the country! :)

KatieLouise said:
I've bought Majesty from Borders but I've never seen Point de Vue. Is this from an inner-city Borders? I'm glad to know someone in Melbourne stocks it; we're a bit deprived out in the country! :)

I live in the Melbourian suburbs (I think that's what it's called :confused: ), and the closest Borders to where I live is a Highpoint Shopping Centre. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the CBD by car from where I live, so you can go from that if you know your areas!

JessRulz said:
I live in the Melbourian suburbs (I think that's what it's called :confused: ), and the closest Borders to where I live is a Highpoint Shopping Centre. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the CBD by car from where I live, so you can go from that if you know your areas!

Thanks, JessRulz :) I haven't been to that Borders before... I'd be interested to go there, though!

I know this might not be of any help but...Aussie memebers...in this weeks issue of New Idea there is a free mini booklet of Mary and Freds life from when they met, the events before, middle and after there wedding (great pics, there is a pic of mary and her friend that introduced her and fred at the slip in). there are details about the jewellary that mary has inherited and Marys fashion sense, before and after her pregnancy.
Worth the money people. :D

Flctylu and KatieLouise, Royalty, Majesty, Point de Vue and Hello are all available at McGills (opposite the former GPO). I've found that Borders in Melbourne Central always has the previous week's edition of Hello rather than the current edition.

:) Thankyou; Von Sclesian, JessRulz and Victorianna ;) :)

Victoriana said:
Flctylu and KatieLouise, Royalty, Majesty, Point de Vue and Hello are all available at McGills (opposite the former GPO). I've found that Borders in Melbourne Central always has the previous week's edition of Hello rather than the current edition.

Thanks, Victoriana! :)

when I was working I used to buy Royalty and Majesty monthly from a newsagency in Melbourne. I think they used to arrive by air freight in those days as the copies were only two weeks old when they arrvived. When I first started collecting them they were $6 (approx) each. When a copy reached $14.60 (4 years ago?) I decided to call it a day and now I only buy it if there is something really special wish to add to my collection. (mainly Royal Weddings:) )

Scott

Has the new Royalty magazine arrived in Aus. yet?
I know the latest Magisty magazine available in Australia is the one with [a very young] Queen Liz II on the cover.
Thanks in advance. ;) :)

Which issue of Royalty are we up to!? :) The last one I bought had Prince Christian's christening in it... I'm a little annoyed so I might rant for a second: every time I go into my local newsagent I ask them for my Royalty magazine (inevitably, it's not there), and when I ask them to find out where it is, I'm sure they don't even bother to do so. Grrr! :mad:
It's worth buying the latest Majesty for the Queen's 80th birthday; there are many beautiful photos, and it makes a nice souvenir. :)

KatieLouise said:
Which issue of Royalty are we up to!?
It's worth buying the latest Majesty for the Queen's 80th birthday; there are many beautiful photos, and it makes a nice souvenir. :)

The last Royalty I bought was the one with Angelina Jolie on the cover, which I believe would be March's issue coz on the spine it says Volume 3. I haven't been to my newsagent yet, I'm going tomorrow to see if they have the new one :)
Totally agree about the Majesty issue, it was a great tribute to HM and I loved the picture for each year of her life!

JessRulz said:
The last Royalty I bought was the one with Angelina Jolie on the cover, which I believe would be March's issue coz on the spine it says Volume 3. I haven't been to my newsagent yet, I'm going tomorrow to see if they have the new one :)
Totally agree about the Majesty issue, it was a great tribute to HM and I loved the picture for each year of her life!
Yeah, that was the last one i bought to.
KatieLouise I know it's fustrating sometimes when you ask your local newsagent whether or not they have the new royalty mag and they just act as if they cant be bothered to help you (I help myself...in other words i go and see if they have it in the rack and if not i would have to wait until the weekend comes and go to the newsagent at one of the close shopping centres in my area (they are really good people) the newsagent in that shopping centre usually has the new royalty so i guess i have to wait until the weekend but in the meantime i'll go to my local newsagent and see if they have it as well :) .

KatieLouise said:
Which issue of Royalty are we up to!? :) The last one I bought had Prince Christian's christening in it... I'm a little annoyed so I might rant for a second: every time I go into my local newsagent I ask them for my Royalty magazine (inevitably, it's not there), and when I ask them to find out where it is, I'm sure they don't even bother to do so. Grrr! :mad:
I have that one as well. Beautiful pic's of the Queen. It will make a nice souvenir indeed. will it be worth a lot do you think;) ? if the unspeakable happens (i don't want charles to be our king :mad: ) and Queen Liz II passes away. I know i shouldn't be thinking about that anyway. long live queen Liz.

Last edited:
Hi guys, is the new royalty in yet? :) I went in to the newsagent again yesterday and they called their supplier while I was there. They said it wouldn't be in until August!! :( @flctylu I guess the magazine might be worth a bit one day! On eBay you see royal magazines selling for quite a bit, even the newer ones... I think of what I spend on royal books and magazines as an investment of sorts, too - not that I'd ever want to sell them but the thought's there :D

ouh...just got the newest (available edition in Australia, Vic) of Majesty with Queen Liz II in a pinky-red outfit and an intresting article (spread) about King Alfonso XIII of Spain and Princess Ena. I really hope the new issue of royalty comes to my local newsagent soon :( ;) :) .

Back
Top Bottom