Royal Jewels Books

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both the Menkes and Field books are particularly good.

I just received the Savoy book in the mail today and I'm disappointed (more in Amazon than the book)! They advertised the english version but sent me the italian version instead! This is what I paid $115 and waited three months for?! Now I have to hassle with returning it for a refund. There is an Enlgish version of this book out there, right?

Yes, there is an English version (I have it) ;)

Regards and good luck!

Smycken & silver för tsarer, drottningar och andra -
Magdalena Ribbing

is this a book any good?

there are two verions 1996 and 2000

I just received the Savoy book in the mail today and I'm disappointed (more in Amazon than the book)! They advertised the english version but sent me the italian version instead! This is what I paid $115 and waited three months for?! Now I have to hassle with returning it for a refund. There is an Enlgish version of this book out there, right?
Amazon is great about returns, though. No hassles.

Point de Vue Special Royal Jewels issue

Does anyone know of a US vendor that sells this particular issue? Journaux.fr has a subscription for one year to PdeV but I can't find where they have this single issue for sale. CP Victoria is on the cover and I believe the pub/cover date is Novembre 2010. Looks like a fantastic issue!:flowers:

I tried to find a vendor, but I didn't have any luck, maybe another poster can help. I tried to order in French, but I didn't get to far and I became afraid I would end up ordering incorrectly or messing up the order and cost to me. Yes, I'm ashamed that I don't speak or understand any language but English.:sad:

Amazon is great about returns, though. No hassles.

It did go off with no hassles, which surprised me given the cost and length of time I had to wait for it to ship. I then ordered it from van hoogstraten for $5 less and it will take about two weeks to ship instead of three months.

Thank you Frank, your links are much appreciated.:flowers:

Katrianna: "Pulse para ver la publicacion" is equal to "click to see the magazine"

Oh, I'm so embarrassed! Mea Culpa! (as she slinks away):ohmy:

The book about the history of Boucheron by Vincent Maylon will be available in the english version next April.

"Crown Jewellery and Regalia of the World" by René Brus, 2010

"Crown Jewellery and Regalia of the World"
by René Brus, 2010

978-90-5496-090-4
Pepin Press
276pp
hardcover
24x30 cm (9½x12")
€49.50 | $75.00 | £45.00

Text in English

blurb:

From the earliest times, crowns have served as symbols of religious position and as signifiers of rank. Throughout the centuries and from culture to culture, crowns have varied in shape, material, usage and symbolism.
Crown Jewellery gives us an overwhelming overview including many photos of the actual crowns and regalia of the world. This publication highlights the evolution of crowns, different types and forms and their origins, and the precious materials used to make them. Royal events and ceremonies such as weddings, coronations, and funerals are abundantly illustrated with extraordinary photos. In addition to royal ceremonies, the spiritual and religious ceremonies of ordinary life are also highlighted in this abundantly illustrated publication.

links:

The Pepin Press | Jewellery | Crown Jewellery
Books: Crown Jewellery And Regalia of the World (Pepin Press Art Book) (Hardcover) by Rene Brus (Author)

covers:

There appear to be two different covers, the Indian and the Bavarian:

Attachments

• Crown Jewellery 2.jpg
    Crown Jewellery 2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 428
  • crown-jewellery-regalia-world-rene-brus-hardcover-cover-art.jpg
    crown-jewellery-regalia-world-rene-brus-hardcover-cover-art.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 791
Anna von Lowzow, who made "A Royal Family", is making a new TV-series about royal jewels - together with a Danish jewellery expert.
They are filming in Spain right now.
I think we can expect a nice DVD soon!!! With English subtitles, I hope...

The production of "The Royal Jewels" is almost finished. The series will be broadcast in the Scandinavian countries, Belgium and Australia.

more details about the tv serie:

http://www.dr.dk/Salg/DRsales/Programmes/Documentary/Royals/20091118135046.htm

This explanation was provided by Bjarne and posted on the Royal Jewels of the World Message Board. It should give some answers to our questions. Bjarne is involved in the project.:flowers:

Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: The real story

Quotes
from Bjarne (as RJOTWMB threads disappear over time):

What is special about our broadcasts is that royal persons are telling the story and that there has been made a lot of new very near photos of the jewellery. But on the other hand I do not think that there will come very much NEW information.

Participating are: Danish Queen, Swedish Queen, Crown Princess of Denmark, Princess Benedikte to Denmark, Prince Michael of Greece, Prince Michael of Kent and Madame Xenia Zfiri, the grand daughter of Felix Jussupof. They all speak very openly about the jewels and the people associated with these ornaments.

There will be nothing about Dutch, Belgian, Spanish, Italian jewellery - and also very little about the British heritage.

The first part will start with Napoleon's coronation and will follow jewellery to Scandinavia. Here are also new photos of the Danish crown jewels.
The second part will be about the glamour at the Russian court and it will have the Grand Duchess Vladimir as the main character.

Last edited by a moderator:
i do look forward to this
hopefully it can be seen to the autom

Juvelerne i det danske kongehus - Bjarne Steen Jensen

i thought this book were worth its own thread

i know that not everybody feel its always accurate but its the only book about the danish royal jewllery out there and with so much collected in the same place.

if he were to do a update think about how much he can add to the coffe table book

Mary and marie has entered the royal family they have been given jewllery with a royal history and they have also now contributed with their own jewllery boxes.

here is one place you can buy it at

Bought it at Amalienburg Castle, the Group was waiting .. But it is the best of Danemark
Thanks Bjarne

"The Crown Jewels" - Anna Keay, 2011

"The Crown Jewels"
by Anna Keay

Published: 1 October 2011
Publisher: Thames & Hudson Inc
Hardcover : 192 pages
Item #: 13-418985
ISBN: 9780500515754

Publisher's blurb:
"This sumptuous volume, which includes a complete inventory of every item of the Crown Jewels in the Tower of London, captures the magnificence of a collection of symbolic objects steeped in English history that is still in use today. For anyone with either a professional or a personal interest in jewellery and history, The Crown Jewels will be a delight.

The Crown Jewels tells the history of the most spectacular and complete collection of royal regalia in the world. The priceless objects now in the Tower of London were created to be the embodiment of sovereignty, and their story is that of the English monarchy itself – from the 12th-century spoon used for the anointing at the coronation to the platinum crown created for Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother in 1937, set with the Koh-i-nûr diamond.

Published in association with the Royal Collection and Historic Royal Palaces, the book features specially commissioned new photography, including many detailed shots, allowing individual pieces, the famous gems and carefully selected groups of objects to be viewed as never before.
The text, based on original research, recounts the development of the collection in the medieval period, the dramatic sale and melting down of almost every piece after the execution of Charles I in 1649 and the remaking of the Crown Jewels for Charles II in 1660. Since then the collection has been augmented with pieces that reflect key moments in English history, such as the regalia created for the only joint monarchs, William III and Mary II, in 1689, and the crown made for King George V’s inauguration as Emperor of India in 1911.

Also available is a specially-bound edition including a 10-feet-long reproduction of Joseph Robins's contemporary panorama of Queen Victoria's Coronation Procession in Westminister Abbey on 28 June 1838.

Anna Keay is Curatorial Director of English Heritage, responsible for the presentation and interpretation of the national collection of historic buildings, and was formerly Assistant Curator of Historic Royal Palaces, which includes the Tower of London. She specializes in early modern English court ritual and is the author of The Elizabethan Tower of London and The Magnificent Monarch: Charles II and the Ceremonies of Power. Anna Keay has also provided historical commentary for broadcasts on royal events such as HM The Queen’s Golden Jubilee and the State Opening of Parliament."

see also: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ns-treasures-revealed-sparkling-new-book.html

Copy and cover image courtesy of the publisher, Thames & Hudson Inc

Attachments

• The Crown Jewels.jpg
    The Crown Jewels.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,590
I caught a doco. on the British Royal Jewels on TV the other day, cannot remember the name, and was stunned at the size of the Queen's collection!
Each piece more stunning than the rest!
Holy cow, that woman has the jewelry!

Royal Jewels

'The Queen's Diamonds'
by Hugh Roberts

Publisher: Royal Collection Enterprises Ltd
Publication Date: 15 July 2012
ISBN-13: 9781905686384
Hardback

Description

Amazon
The splendor and sparkle of the diamond is unmatched by that of any other gem in the world. As status symbols or emblems ofendless love, diamonds have been worn, collected, and presented as lavish gifts since the earliest days of antiquity. Today, steady sales—and borrowed baubles on the arms of starlets—indicate that diamonds remain among the most sought-after gemstones. But few, if any, private collections surpass that of Queen Elizabeth II.

The Queen’s Diamonds takes readers on a tour of the magnificent royal inheritance of diamonds from Queen Adelaide in the 1830s to the present day. The book features more than seventy awe-inspiring pieces of jewelry from one of the finest collections in the world. With three hundred full-color photographs—many newly commissioned for the book—the dazzling display ranges from the flawless pink diamond presented to Princess Elizabeth, as she was then known, for her wedding in 1947 to nineteenth-century diamond diadems to the Cartier “Halo” tiara worn most recently by The Duchess of Cambridge at her wedding in April 2011. As informative as it is stunningly beautiful, the book includes information on many items of international importance and great historic significance.

Published on the occasion of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II, The Queen’s Diamonds offers the first authorized account of this iconic and unparalleled collection of diamond jewelry. The photos superbly encapsulate the breathtaking beauty of the subjects, and the descriptions are packed with fascinating details.

Van Hoogstraten Online
This book provides the first authorised account of the history of some of the finest diamond jewellery in the world. Published on the occasion of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II, it tells the story of the magnificent royal inheritance of diamonds from the time of Queen Adelaide in the 1830s to the present day. Illustrated with a wealth of archive material as well as extensive new photography of the jewels, this important publication includes stones of international importance as well as items of great historic significance, and wile a standard work reference on diamond jewellery for many years to come. Hugh Roberts was Director of the Royal Collection from 1996 to 2010. Hardback with slipcase, in English, 315:250 mm, 320 pages, more than 300 colour illustrations.

Telegraph: Crowning glory - the Queen's Jewels
...The majority of the personal jewellery in the Queen's collection dates from the 19th or early 20th centuries. Most of the jewels are set with old brilliants and rose cuts; modern brilliants are found only on pieces made or remodelled after about 1920. The settings of the jewellery are of silver, white or yellow gold, or platinum, in various combinations – platinum being especially favoured towards the end of the 19th century. With few exceptions, the workmanship is English.

In design terms the Queen's collection represents the median of fashion of the era in which it was made, neither especially avant-garde nor unduly conservative. But when any jewellery is worn by royalty, it almost inevitably attracts wide attention and is capable of popularising a particular type of jewel or way of wearing it. Such was the case with Queen Victoria, whose preference for the tiara – instead of a wreath with detachable sprays, or a jewelled comb – established the pattern for head ornaments, and with Queen Alexandra, whose penchant for dog-collar necklaces and long strings of pearls, and her habit of 'layering' jewellery, set fashions that lasted decades.

One of the unique aspects of the collection lies in the rich archival background, which includes inventories, bills, diaries and other documents held in the Royal Archives and elsewhere. These records enable pieces to be followed from owner to owner, while also allowing detailed study of the transformation that many pieces have undergone as fashions and tastes have changed. The recycling of stones is a particular feature of the collection: for a variety of reasons, new jewellery was made, more often than not, using diamonds removed from out-of-date or unfashionable pieces – often into brooches and, to a lesser extent, necklaces and tiaras.

Mail Online: The Queen's bling-bling of a Jubilee!

The Press Association: New book features Queen's jewels

AAJ News: Queen's ultimate diamond collection revealed for the first time

v Cover
reproduced for promotional purposes

Attachments

• The Queen's Diamonds.jpg
    The Queen's Diamonds.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,504
"Jewellery of the House of Savoy" by Maria Gabriella di Savoia (2012)

"Jewellery of the House of Savoy"
by Maria Gabriella di Savoia and Stefano Papi

ISBN 10: 8837052405
ISBN 13: 9788837052409
Publisher: Electa
Publication Date: 2007 (English language edition, enlarged, 2012)
Binding: Hardcover

Amazon blurb
Margherita, Elena, Marie Jose: three queens and the precious jewels that accompanied the sovereigns of Italy on the important occasions of their existence and of Italian history. The history written by Maria Gabriella of Savoy, the third born child of Italy's last sovereigns, and Stefano Papi, a jewellery historian with an international reputation, depicts the setting of an adventure in collecting that covers over a century of Italian history.

The text, accompanied by historic images (many of them never before published) and splendid photographs of the jewels and the original designs for them, guides the reader in the discovery of public events and private moments in the lives of the queens of Italy. This volume, the enlarged English edition, also seeks to pay homage to the great creativity of three Italian jewellers who created the magnificent jewels of the Royals of Italy to match their various official duties.

Van Hoogenstraten Online
Beautifull illustrated book with many splendid photographs (and the original designs) of the jewels of the Italian monarchy. Text is written by Stefano Papi a jewellery historian with international reputation. The 5 chapters contains: Queen Margherita, Queen Elena and Queen Marie José and the last chapter is the genealogy. Forward by Michael of Greece and Maria Gabriella of Savoy. This is an enlarged English edition published in 2007. 205 pages, hardback

v cover
reproduced for promotional purposes

Attachments

• Jewellery of the House of Savoy.jpg
    Jewellery of the House of Savoy.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 2,176
:previous:

I bought that book about a week ago although it hasn't arrived yet. It was recommended to me after I purchased the "Jewels of Romanovs" by Stefano Papi (who is the co-author of the "Jewellery of the House of Savoy") and, having read the magnificent reviews, decided I must have it.

Mine is the 2007 edition but its definitely in English too. I'll share a feedback on this book once it arrives, which should be some time next week.

Do you have it, Warren? I would love to hear a review before I get it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom