The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Nobility

it turns out Edmonton is not a good place for royalbooks shopping, my friend tried many stores and found nothing at all ;(

now he's trying to find me the books on the internet. the Suzy Menkes book is too expensive, 2nd hand, at least 40 dollars, shipping fee not included...

so I'm counting on the Leslie Field book. but another problem came up. there are two books, with similar names, but different price.

1.The Jewels of Queen Elizabeth II, Her Personal Collection
Field, Leslie

2.The Queen's Jewels: The Personal Collection of Elizabeth II (ISBN:0810915251)
Field, Leslie

which one is the right one to get? is the former one a reprint/later edition of the latter one. or is the latter one the same with Queen's Jewels by LESLIE FIELD ISBN: 0810981726, with a wrong subhead?

I'm really confused

Life is mostly froth and bubbles Two things stand like stone
Kindness in others' trouble Courage in your own
Old 11-15-2005, 04:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

They're basically the same book; you'd probably be better off with the most recent edition you can get. Also, at least one edition is available in paperback, which will be cheaper to ship.

Old 12-08-2005, 12:59 AM
Nobility

thank you Elspeth ;P i got the first one

Life is mostly froth and bubbles Two things stand like stone
Kindness in others' trouble Courage in your own
Old 04-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Courtier

Geoffrey Munn's Tiaras: Past and Present is an excellent book for the British Royal Family Jewels. As for his second book, Tiaras: A History of Splendour, keep you eyes open on Ebay. I just bought the book for $20.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:28 AM
Nobility

Other royal jewelry books

Other titles:

1. The Jewels of the Duchess of Windsor by John Culme and Nicholas Rayner (The Vendome Press in association with Sotheby's) ISBN 0-86565-089-6. In your library: DA581.W5R39 1987 or 941.084'092'4

2. The Windsor Style by Suzy Menkes (Grafton Books, a division of the Collins Publishing Group) ISBN 0-246-13212-4. In your library: DA581.W5 or 941.084'092'2

3. Famous Jewelry Collectors by Stefano Papi and Alexandra Rhodes (Thams & Hudson) ISBN 0-500-01960-6. My copy doesn't give me the library call numbers. Book includes a section on aristocratic collectors such as the Duchess of Windsor, Princes von Thurn und Taxis, King Umberto II of Italy and others.

4. Queens' Jewels by Vincent Meylan (Assouline) ISBN 2 84323 364 X. My copy doesn't give me the library call numbers. Website is www.assouline.com. I bought it on Amazon.ca

5. Theirs is the Kingdom: The Wealth of the British Royal Family by Andrew Morton. (Summit Books) ISBN 0-671-69002-7. No library call numbers in mine. Has a section on royal jewels.

6. People and Pearls: The Magic Endures by Ki Hackney and Diana Edkins (HarperCollins) ISBN 0-06-019331-X. Library call numbers: GT2255.H33 2000 or 391.7-dc21. Includes royal figures in its look at pearls, including Grace Kelly and Diana.

7. Bijoux des reines et princesses de Belgique by Christophe Vachaudez. I saw an article about this book in the June 23, 2004 edition of Point de Vue magazine (issue no. 2918).
Old 04-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
If you ever get the chance to go to the Tower of London they have a book that they sell on the crown jewels (I can't rememeber the name of it....I bought it when I was at the Tower 8yrs ago but I put it somewhere & I don't remember where :o).
Its a neat book. I'm not sure if you can buy it anywhere but at the Tower. I'll try to look for it.

Old 06-23-2006, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jennifer
If you ever get the chance to go to the Tower of London they have a book that they sell on the crown jewels (I can't rememeber the name of it....I bought it when I was at the Tower 8yrs ago but I put it somewhere & I don't remember where :o).
Its a neat book. I'm not sure if you can buy it anywhere but at the Tower. I'll try to look for it.
Georgeus in spanish is the book "Las joyas de las reinas de España", very important for queen sofia's jewels collection.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
I just ordered Tiaras: A History of Splendour by Geoffrey C. Munn for $47.25. Can't wait to see it!
Old 07-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

When it comes to the British Royal jewels, I'd prefer Leslie Field's book over Suzy Menkes' anytime: Better researched, better photographs, absolutely reliable. Suzy Menkes provides more info on the jewels of The Duchess of Windsor, Princess Diana and The Duchess Of York, including great pics, but there are also quite a few major factual mistakes in those sections. When it comes to the 'historical' Windsor jewels, Leslie Field's book is still the best to buy.
Munn's book is wonderful, but its focus is on British jewels only, both royal and noble.
I wish there was just one single book documenting the jewelry collections of all European Royal houses, but none has been published so far.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks for the tips Boris.:) I'm always grateful for the advice I receive from TRF members.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:48 PM
Aristocracy

Does anyone have Vincent Meylan's Queens' Jewels and can tell me how good it is (how detailed, photographs ect).
The review on Amazon says:
Meylan has put together the collection of jewels of the royal houses of Russia, France, Spain, Sweden, Britain, Italy, Iran, Austria, Belgium and the Balkans. Not only the crown jewels but as well the personal jewlery of the crowned heads are described and their history traced.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

When I first heard about Meylan's book I was looking very much forward to it, only to be quite disappointed. It promises a lot but the only great thing about it is the outsized format.
The photographs are mostly of very poor quality, the kind of out-of-focus blow ups which look just cheap (you can see much better pics going through the threads here!), and they only show the best-known pieces of each respective Royal House. The text itself is rather superficial, providing some new info regarding Russia, Iran, the Balkans, but it's not very detailed when it comes to the jewels of Spain, Sweden, Britain etc.
Unfortunately, the whole enterprise amounts to not much more than a 'coffee table book' and was totally overpriced when it first came out. As I said, quite a disappointment for me, and I still hope for some definite book about 'Royal Jewels Of Europe' to be published in the future.
Bottom line: If you're on a budget and/or seriously interested in jewels, I would recommend Field, Munn, and 'Famous Jewelry Collectors' by Papi & Rhodes, all mentioned by fellow posters above.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Boris is spot-on with his review of Vincent Meylan's "Queens' Jewels". Very disappointing, considering the work he does for Point de Vue, and quite a few "filler" pages of uninteresting photographs. Give it a miss, unless you can get it for $5 or less.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Aristocracy

I loved Munn's and Fields books, I spent hours drooling over the pix and the information. And I wished there was a book on all european kingdoms.
Does anybody remember the gorgeous webside that had all those wonderful pix and the information with it? It was a very sad day, when it had to be shut down due to copyright reasons.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

I agree about the Meylan book. I had a look at it when I saw it in the bookshop, and then waited till I could find a deeply discounted copy. It's nice to have around, but not if you have to pay serious money for it.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Aristocracy

Thankyou for the advice on the Meylan book, i think i will give it a miss now especially as Boris so very well said "you can see much better pics going through the threads here!"
Old 08-01-2006, 01:25 PM

Amy and Boris, I have to say I agree with you. I still saw Danjels site live with all the pics and my only regret was that I only saved some of the pics, there were too many.
But some of the threads have pics from Danjel's site and others can be traced. And because some pages are still live, the history of those pieces can still be viewed.

As for Meylan's book, I was disapointed when I browsed it in a library. I gave up buying it.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Nobility

Just received both Munn's Tiaras: A History of Splendour and Field's The Queen's Jewels yesterday in the mail. It was like having Christmas early, except the temperature outside was 99F instead of 30F. Needless to say, the household tasks that are usually done on my day off were severely curtailed, but what a wonderful way to spend the day!!
Old 08-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Royal Highness

I ordered Tiaras: A History of Splender also but I haven't received it yet. Comments like yours is the reason I made the purchase. Thanks!!!
Old 08-04-2006, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
I ordered Tiaras: A History of Splender also but I haven't received it yet. Comments like yours is the reason I made the purchase. Thanks!!!
Kerry, some of the pics you will have seen posted here, but there are many others of wonderful and lesser-known tiaras.
Two other things worth mentioning about the Munn bible: the photographic reproduction is excellent, and Mr Munn is a witty writer. His history of head ornaments in relation to over-the-top and towering 18th century hairstyles is a scream. Entire miniature farmyards and other rustic scenes made of blown-glass nestling in the hair... sedan chairs with roofs that could be raised to accommodate the occupant's hair... grisly deaths when greasy hairpieces came into contact with candles... All true!