The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-13-2012, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Has anyone ever read or can they recommend a biography on the life of Madame Élisabeth of France (sister of Louis XVI) ?

Old 12-13-2012, 06:06 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I have read several books on Princess Elizabeth, unfortunately all of them were in French.
If you can speak French or find translations, I would recommend the following:

- "Madame Elisabeth: la Princesse Martyre" ("Madame Elisabeth, the Martyr Princess") by Martial Debriffe
- "Une Sœur de Louis XVI, Madame Elisabeth" ("Madame Elisabeth, a Sister of Louis XVI") by Noelle Destremau
- "Madame Elisabeth, la Sœur Martyre de Louis XVI" ("Madame Elisabeth, the Martyr Sister of Louis XVI") by Monique de Huerta
- "Le Sacrifice du Soir, Vie et Mort de Madame Elisabeth, Sœur de Louis XVI" ("The Evening Sacrifice: The Life and Death of Madame Elisabeth, sister of Louis XVI") by Jean de Viguerie

Of those listed, my favourite are the first and especially the fourth ones (a really good read with plenty of pretty accurate and well-researched data), and the least favourite - the third one.

I've also come across this book on the Princess which you can read online: "La Vie de Madame Elisabeth, Sœur de Louis XVI" ("The Life of Madame Elisabeth, Sister of Louis XVI). I haven't read this one (although I now endeavour to) but unfortunately, it's in French as well.

http://archive.org/details/laviedemadameeli02beauuoft

Old 12-13-2012, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Many thanks Artemisia,alas my French is quite basic but I do believe that Élisabeth of France is deserving of a new biography...hopefully in English!
Old 05-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Aristocracy

"Paris Reborn: Napoleon III, Baron Haussmann and the Quest to Build A Modern City"

My review of Paris Reborn: Napoleon III, Baron Haussmann and the Quest to Build a Modern City by Stephane Kirkland

Paris Reborn: Napoleon III, Baron Haussmann, and The Quest to Build a Modern City by Stephane Kirkland (Review) | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Old 01-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

This is certainly a book I'll be looking out for,its a pity that so much of the medieval quarters of Paris were pulled down having survived the horrors of the revolutions.Countless medieval churches,abbeys and chapels,many of which housed royal and noble tombs.