Royal Fashion books

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessofEurope

Heir Apparent
City
Wiltshire
Country
United Kingdom
Be Dazzled!: Norman Hartnell: Sixty Years of Glamour and Fashion

have any forum members read or bought this book and would you recommend it?

His bridal extravaganzas culminated in the romantic 1947 wedding of Princess Elizabeth to Prince Philip.The famous "White Wardrobe" created for Queen Elizabeth (and photographed by Cecil Beaton) in the late 1930s changed her image forever; the extraordinary coronation robes designed for Elizabeth II in 1953; and the sublimely simple wedding dress he made for Princess Margaret when she was married to Lord Snowdon in 1960 remain iconic to this day.
Norman Hartnell, Sixty Years of Glamorous Fashion", royal enthusiasts and fashion connoisseurs will be able to examine in greater detail his drawings, vintage photographs, fabric samples and personal scrapbooks that have never been published before.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Kungligt Snygg" ["Royal Style"] by Ebba von Sydow (2011)

"Kungligt Snygg"
"Royal Style - Queens of Fashion and Princesses of Style"
by Ebba von Sydow

This book will be released on 1 April. It is in Swedish but an English version may be published later.

Here is the publisher's blurb:

Fashion journalist Ebba von Sydow, 30, has reported on royalty and fashion for 10 years, as an editor at Sweden's evening paper Expressen, glossy weekly Veckorevyn and Sweden's largest television channel, SVT.

With "Royal Style" she makes a colourful, inspiring, picture-packed delving into the phenomenon of royal style: a style characterized by power, elegance and class. Royals of today have also become important players for marketing their nation's fashion.

"Royal Style" is a beautiful book filled with hands-on style tips on the best basic garments and how to build a royal good wardrobe. The book portraits Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway, and Princess Máxima of the Netherlands.

Ebba von Sydow also analyses royal style icons such as Farah Diba, Grace Kelly, Princess Margaret and Princess Diana.

A link to the blurb in Swedish is here:
Nya böcker från Bonnierförlagen

Scandinavian members can pre-order the book from here:
Exklusivt erbjudande på Ebba von Sydows nya bok! - Adlibris Bokhandel

v the cover
copyright permission has been granted by the publisher.

Attachments

• Royal Style.jpg
    Royal Style.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 658
Last edited:
Apparently there already is a thread for this book but anyways I'm going to write/answer here.

My sister has this book and i have quickly flipped it through. It is a gorgeous book! Lovely pictures of princesses, well researched it seemed. Can't wait to really read this book with time!

It contained sections of Mary's, Maxima's, Victoria's, Grace Kelly's and Mette-Marit's style (I probably have forgotten someone) . Formal and more casual. There was also top 10 brides and some section about few queens (Elizabeth II and Silvia are the ones I remember) and little princesses ( few lines with a picture of Ingrid-Alexandra, Isabella and few others)

There was also many pictures of the author herself Ebba von Sydow. I have never been a fan of hers, but I guess if one manages to write a book it's okay to have one's own pictures in the book aswell :). One thing that puzzled me was why there was no style-section about Letizia? It seemed weird not to include her, felt almost like something was missing.

All in all it seemed like a good book!

Do you know what this book is about?? Only princess Grace fashion??:flowers:
No.
Your own question is already answered by the topic description you chose yourself... ;)
I'd be interested to hear the opinions of posters who already purchased it - with books like these (by an editor who works for German mag 'Bunte'), it's IMO always difficult to tell from the outside if they're worthwhile.
Link to description:
Royal Style: A History of Aristocratic Fashion Icons: Amazon.co.uk: Luise Wackerl: Books

Last edited:
"Royal Style: A History of Aristocratic Fashion Icons"
by Luise Wackerl

Hardcover
192 pages
130 colour & 20 b/w illustrations
Publisher: Prestel (Random House)
published UK: May 2012 (GBP £24.99)
published US: 30 June 2012 (US $39.95)

blurbs

Prestel
From Louis XIV, a shoe aficionado of the Baroque Age, to the latest club-hopping progeny of the British royalty, this colorful survey of aristocratic fashion through the ages will delight royal watchers of every generation.

The wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton helped reclaim the fashion credibility of Britain’s royal family, ushering in a generation of hip but genial personalities that appeal to every age and station. But royals have been setting fashion trends for centuries. This fascinating overview of aristocratic icons reaches back to the middle age, and from Europe to the Middle East, to profile the most renowned promoters of elegance and style ever to don their empires’ crowns. Author and royals watcher Luise Wackerl juxtaposes the fifteenth century Duke of Burgundy’s penchant for black with Elizabeth I’s taste for virginal white. She presents history’s first “It Girls”: Marie Antoinette, Louisa of Prussia, Empresses Sisi of Austria and Eugenie of France. She relates how Queen Victoria’s sorrow and propriety transformed her country, and how an impeccably styled American’s love for Edward VIII upended the British monarchy.

From the irreproachably elegant styles of Grace Kelly to Lady Diana, Jordan’s Queen Rania to Princess Letizia of Spain we move on to the newest icons, the Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie of York, whose faces and party antics grace the tabloids on a weekly basis. Hundreds of photos and a lively text make this irresistible reading for anyone interested in fashion, royalty, and the lively intersection of both worlds.

DIARY daily
...celebrating the style and glamour of a number of royal and high class figures...The book analyzes the styles of Grace Kelly, Lady Diana, Jordan’s Queen Rania and Princess Letizia of Spain and moves in to modern examples to include Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece, Princess Marie of Denmark, and Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie of York.

Clotheshorse diary
I can't for the life of me understand why Princesses Eugene and Beatrice are in it!

the author
Luise Wackerl blogs about royal fashion and gossip on the Bunte magazine website.
She has covered the most recent royal weddings in Stockholm, London, and Monaco.

v cover
reproduced for promotional purposes

Attachments

• Royal Style.jpg
    Royal Style.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 365
Thanks for more details! Looks interested!!

I just bought it. It's a nice coffee table book.
Grace and Diana each have a chapter of their own.
And there's a lot about today's royals in it also.

Back
Top Bottom