Books on the Royal Family of Spain and Spanish Royal History

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey :flowers: , I was at Borders today (school's about to start...:bang: ) and was of course (typical of me) I was in the history section and found a really intresting book called "Juan Carlos" published in 2005 by Paul Pentacle. As you could tell by the title it's about his life as a child (during Franco's dictatorship) to the early 1990's. I havent started reading it yet but I've glanced at the pictures inside...there are really cute pictures that I haven't seen before, such as King Juan Carlos (at the age of 4, and there was a little note next to it saying that after the photo was taken (he had to take the big shoes off) Juan Carlos "learnt that Bourbons never cry but only in bed"). There were several more pictures, including...giving Infanta Elena away on her wedding day...young JC and Maria-Gabriella of Savoy (footnote beside it said "the vavacious daughter of the last exiled King Umberto of Savoy")...young JC in an army aircraft...young JC coming from Lisborn to Spain...engagemnt announcement of JC and Sofia (apparantly the footnote beside that picture said it was a "surprise" [could someone message me to the reason why it was a total surprise? I'd really like to know]...young JC and 8-9 year old [doesn't mention how old Fellipe is but he looked very young] Fellipe looking at each other and many others... :flowers:

I have that book too... but i just bought to see the photos:)

I read Juan Carlos: A People's King by Paul Preston.

that book just wants us to believe some things. i know it.

rchainho, what things do you disagree with/dispute? I'm curious!
:)

well, i read that book a long time ago. But some of the biography of the king isn't that correct. some facts about his life, family and friends. Some sentences were just to make a good image of the king.

well, i read that book a long time ago. But some of the biography of the king isn't that correct. some facts about his life, family and friends. Some sentences were just to make a good image of the king.

I see what you mean. It was authorized, I think, by the Spanish Institute or maybe the Spanish Royal House. In any case, by some "think tank" which Dr Preston works for, right?

Title: "Luis Alfonso de Borbón. Un príncipe a la espera”
Author: José Apezarena
Plaza y Janés

Título: "Luis Alfonso de Borbón, un rey sin trono"
Author: David Botello
Editorial: Espejo de Tinta
http://www.espejodetinta.es/images/luisalfonso.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"TRAS LOS PASOS DEL REY"
Author: Carmen Enríquez
Publisher in Spain: Espejo de Tinta
ISBN: 978-84-96892-14-9

Carmen Enríquez, is a the journalist who has travelled more times with the kings of Spain all over the world, She has been during a lot of years the face of Spanish Television in the information of the Royal Family.

The book called, Behind the Steps of the King

Other books that I recommend

1- "Cayetana, duquesa de Alba"
Author: Tico Medina
Publisher: Temas de Hoy, Spain

2- "La duquesa. Mito y realidad de Cayetana Alba"
Author: Fuente, Ismael

3- "PASION ANDALUZA. CAYETANA DE ALBA"
Author: Concepción Calleja

4- "El Rey en Estoril. Don Juan Carlos y su familia en el exilio portugués"
Author: Gurriaran, José Antonio
Editorial Planeta, Spain

5- "La madre del Rey. La vida de doña María de las Mercedes: una causa histórica"
Author: Gracia, Fernando

6- "Yo, María de Borbón"
Author: Javier Gonzalez de Vega
Editorial El Pais, Spain
This is the official biography of King Juan Carlos mother.

7- "El Rey"
Author: José Luis de Vilallonga
Plaza y Janés, Spain
This is the official biography of King Juan Carlos of Spain.

8- "La Reina"
Author: Pilar Urbano
Plaza y Janés, Spain
The is the official biography of Queen Sofía of Spain.

9- "Las joyas de las reinas de España’"
Author: Fernando Rayón, José Luis Sampedro
Editorial Planeta, Spain
This book is about the royal jewels of spanish queens.

10- "Memorias. Emanuela de Dampierre"
Author: Begoña Aranguren
La Esfera, Spain
This book is the official biography of Prince Alfonso de Borbón mother.

11- "El Rey y yo"
Author: Antonio L. Bouza
La Esfera, Spain

12- “Grandes de España. Historias y personajes de la aristocracia”
Author: Marta Rivera de la Cruz
El Pais-Aguilar, Spain

13- “Alta Sociedad. la Insólita Corte del Franquismo”
Author: Begoña Aranguren
Editorial Planeta, Spain

14- “Felipe VI, así se formó el príncipe”
Author: José Antonio Alcina
La Esfera, Spain

15- "Nobleza Obliga"
Author: Ricardo Mateos Sainz de Medrano
Editorial La Esfera, Spain

frank22, thank you for your list.
I see there are a lots of books abut the Spanish Royal Family!
I would like to read the official biography of the Queen!
Pilar Urbano is (IMO) ones of the best writers of Spain.

“DIOS SALVE TAMBIEN AL REY”
by JAIME PEÑAFIEL

Publisher: Ediciones Temas de Hoy
Spain
This book is about King Juan Carlos of Spain.

DIOS SALVE A LA REINA”
by JAIME PEÑAFIEL

Spain
This book is about Queen Sofia of Spain.

“Y quien salva al principe”
by JAIME PEÑAFIEL
Spain
This book is about Prince Felipe of Spain.

ISABEL SARTORIUS, CASI UNA REINA
by GRACIA, FERNANDO

Publisher: Temas de Hoy
Spain
This book is about Mrs. Isabel Sartorius, a girlfriend of Prince Felipe of Spain.

“Lo que nunca nos contaron de Don Juan”
by Fernando Gracia
Publisher: Temas de Hoy
Spain
This book is about the father of King Juan Carlos of Spain.

New photo album about the royal family of Spain:

“Los Borbones, Imágenes para la historia de una familia real
Autor: Ricardo Mateos Sainz de Medrano
Publisher: La Esfera
Spain

Has anyone read: The king : a life of King Juan Carlos of Spain by José Luis de Vilallonga i think it was published in the mid 1990's.

Amy: the book written by Vilallonga is the official (authorized) biography of King Juan Carlos of Spain. Is excellent!

Frank22:I have since read the book and you are right it is very good, however, i wish more would have been written in it about the King and his family in general and not focused so much on Franco and the coup.
I wonder what you think of it in regards to controversy? It is regarded as a controversial book and i would like to know your thoughts on it.

Hello, Flctylu!

I suppose they're referring to the unconventional way how Juan Carlos proposed to Sofia, since he never formally asked «Will you marry me?». Instead, during a celebration in the Beau Rivage Hotel of Lausanne, he threw a small box in the air, saying: «Sofi, catch it»! Inside it, there was an engagement ring and he just said: «Now, we will get married, o.k.»?...:wub:

To read more details, follow this link:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/309546-post17.html

That is so romantic! I must look for this book. The Beau Rivage would be hugely expensive now, but when the exchange rate was good and Dad got tax deductions for travel, I stayed there a few times with my parents. It has always been my favourite hotel since! It was just so luxurious and Lausanne is so beautiful. I had my own room which overlooked the lake.

I am very interested in Juan Carlos at the moment, but I thought that the book by Paul Preston was a bit dull so I didn't go on with it. Maybe I should give it another try?

Best Regards,

Attaining Grace
bookaddiction

Has anybody read the book
"Retrato de un Matrimonio"
by Jaime Peñafiel?
It is about the King and the Queen.

Has anybody read the book
"Retrato de un Matrimonio"
by Jaime Peñafiel?
It is about the King and the Queen.

No I have not read it, but considering Peñafiel wrote it, I'm doubting it is worth reading! It is yet another controversial thing by him. This article is about the new book. Jaime Peñafiel, tajante: "La Reina ha sido una mujer engañada" - 20minutos.es
It says the King said he hated the Queen, that they do not sleep in the same bed and about the many girlfriends of the King. I guess this is yet another example of the poor man being totally bored and deciding to write some book about the King and Queen based on absolutely nothing :ermm:

i'll have it in a couple of months by el corte ingles iin portugal.

has any of you read theo aronson book about the spanish RF ''royal vendetta the crown of spain'' its quite interesting to learn of queen isabella ii and her marriage to catholic princes

:previous: Are any of the books mentioned above translated to English or French? If so what are the titles? Thank you:flowers:

Title of a new book: "Joyas reales, fastos y boato"
Authors: Ricardo Mateos Sainz de Medrano, José Luis Sampedro Escolar
Editorial: La Esfera
Madrid, Spain
[La Esfera de los Libros]

El Patrimonio de los borbones
Autor: Jose Maria Zavala
Spain

Back
Top Bottom