Books on the Royal Family of Spain and Spanish Royal History

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
biboquinhas said:
I think it is not absurd because of her status!She can be indeed QUEEN one day, she is not a normal baby, it is really natural that there are books talking about her and her life! It is really natural that there are people asking for her, who wanted to see her, who want photos of her, it is alll very natural.

But these things don't happen in other royal children only to Leonor. Sure it's natural that "people are asking for her, want to see her, want photos of her", but to make up stories about her like she's deaf and dumb and that she was in grave danger when she was born is outrageous. Take for example in Holland, if things are said or written badly about the kids I don't doubt one second that they will sue.

I think that only you can buy in Spain, but you can try to buy them in Internet.

well I think its all rather sad , how can they fill the pages of a chapter never mind a book !! very strange , but I suppose everyone has there own taste's !

There were picture books out about Princes William and Harry when they were babies. I have 3 about William and one about Harry (the only pictures available of Harry at the time were the ones leaving the hospital, so the book mostly has pictures of Diana and William)

Spanish royal family - books?

http://www.esferalibros.com/libros/librodetalle.html?libroISBN=8497345851

A new book by Pilar Eyre (also the author of Dos Borbones en la Corte de Franco) has arrived to the stores. It's named SECRETOS Y MENTIRAS DE LA FAMILIA REAL and focous three generations of Borbons (since the tragedy of Infante Alfonso to the birth of Infanta Leonor) and it reportedly contains unpublished secrets about the royal family, namely about the love affairs or the relationship of Don Juan Carlos with his father, the Count of Barcelona.

It's published by Esfera de los Libros and costs 22 €.

The prologue of this book is available here:
http://www.esferalibros.com/libros/libropcapitulo.html?libroISBN=8497345851

Dos Borbones En La Corte De Franco

This is the previous one by this same author:
DOS BORBONES EN LA CORTE DE FRANCO. Don Juan Carlos y Don Alfonso: intrigas familiares y palaciegas por la sucesión a la Corona, published in 2005.

http://www.esferalibros.com/libros/librodetalle.html?libroISBN=849734393X

It's about Don Juan Carlos and Don Alfonso de Borbón's competition for a Spanish crown that didn't even exist at the time.

El rey en Estoril

Here's an old one, but an interesting reading, by José Antonio Gurriarán:

El rey en Estoril: Don Juan Carlos y su familia en el exilio portugués, Barcelona: Planeta, 2000.

It's about the Spanish royal family's exhile in Portugal. José Antonio Gurriarán (who was the TVE and RNE correspondent in Portugal, during almost eight years), realises that, for many years, this period remained covered by a veil, partly due to the pro-Franco informative wall around the figure of Don Juan and his family, partly because of the simplicity and prudence that the royal family had shown, during its stay in the "golden triangle" of Estoril-Cascais-Sintra, but, over all, due to the discretion of the neighbors and friends, who have a great afection towards them.

The book is also translated in Portuguese and published by Dom Quixote.

Last edited:
Juan Carlos: Directing Spain From Dictatorship To Democracy

Hey :flowers: , I was at Borders today (school's about to start...:bang: ) and was of course (typical of me) I was in the history section and found a really intresting book called "Juan Carlos" published in 2005 by Paul Pentacle. As you could tell by the title it's about his life as a child (during Franco's dictatorship) to the early 1990's. I havent started reading it yet but I've glanced at the pictures inside...there are really cute pictures that I haven't seen before, such as King Juan Carlos (at the age of 4, and there was a little note next to it saying that after the photo was taken (he had to take the big shoes off) Juan Carlos "learnt that Bourbons never cry but only in bed"). There were several more pictures, including...giving Infanta Elena away on her wedding day...young JC and Maria-Gabriella of Savoy (footnote beside it said "the vavacious daughter of the last exiled King Umberto of Savoy")...young JC in an army aircraft...young JC coming from Lisborn to Spain...engagemnt announcement of JC and Sofia (apparantly the footnote beside that picture said it was a "surprise" [could someone message me to the reason why it was a total surprise? I'd really like to know]...young JC and 8-9 year old [doesn't mention how old Fellipe is but he looked very young] Fellipe looking at each other and many others... :flowers:

Last edited:
flctylu said:
engagemnt announcement of JC and Sofia (apparantly the footnote beside that picture said it was a "surprise" [could someone message me to the reason why it was a total surprise? I'd really like to know]
Hello, Flctylu!

I suppose they're referring to the unconventional way how Juan Carlos proposed to Sofia, since he never formally asked «Will you marry me?». Instead, during a celebration in the Beau Rivage Hotel of Lausanne, he threw a small box in the air, saying: «Sofi, catch it»! Inside it, there was an engagement ring and he just said: «Now, we will get married, o.k.»?...:wub:

To read more details, follow this link:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/309546-post17.html

Elsa M. said:
Hello, Flctylu!

I suppose they're referring to the unconventional way how Juan Carlos proposed to Sofia, since he never formally asked «Will you marry me?». Instead, during a celebration in the Beau Rivage Hotel of Lausanne, he threw a small box in the air, saying: «Sofi, catch it»! Inside it, there was an engagement ring and he just said: «Now, we will get married, o.k.»?...:wub:

To read more details, follow this link:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/309546-post17.html
Thanks Elsa M. :flowers: Its certainly is a nice way for a prince that your dating purpose to you in this way :ROFLMAO: [all I have to do now is find me a prince :lol: ]. I started to read the book last night...the book started of with Alfonso XIII and his first two eldest sons and Eugenia-Victoria bringing haemophilia into the family [EV chossing her lover over Alfonso], and Don Carlos in the navy/army [excepting the transfered title "prince of austrias"] and the transfer of power from one major guy to Franco. There was a bit when Juan Carlos was born...Alfonso gave a Chinese baby to Don Carlos [he was away, the doctor said that JC would not arrive for another week or so] and after realising the Chinese baby was not his son he is later quoted as saying something that he would have perferred the Chinese baby, and JC's mum saying that JC looked ugly with big buldging eyes. Intresting to note that the author thanked King Constantine of the Hellenes for helping him with some information.

crisiñaki said:
Pilar Eyre talked about her book in Dolce Vita, an spanish royalty/celebrity info show:

YouTube - Dolce Vita - Entrevista a Pilar Eyre

Info show Dolce Vita?:wacko: I really believe that only it is a show where those that go it are a group of corsets that they speak about the whole world and criticize all often without having either idea or way of demonstrating what they say. On Pilar Eyre's book, other one of that books, based only on unverifiable rumors, qe cannot be demonstrated, written without a royal foundation, or a royal nvestigación, and where the one that writes it only catch gossips more negatives, better, to do business. It is a shame that only books like that publish, of gossip and without seriousness, instead of books done by good journalists or writers, who indeed should investigate, and tel real and interesting things. And not only gossips of Internet, or of people that do not even know the Royal Family.:bang:

This woman's interview is all a joke... starting with Cristina's supposed reaction to the announcement of Felipe's fiancée... when everybody knows she was the greatest supporter of this relationship, since the very begining...

Well, at least this creature confesses (with pride, it seems) what kind of sources she works with... internet forums... :lol:

Seriously, this helps much with the credibility thing...:rolleyes:

Elsa M. said:
This woman's interview is all a joke... starting with Cristina's supposed reaction to the announcement of Felipe's fiancée... when everybody knows she was the greatest supporter of this relationship, since the very begining...

Well, at least this creature confesses (with pride, it seems) what kind of sources she works with... internet forums... :lol:

Seriously, this helps much with the credibility thing...:rolleyes:

just one thing Elsa: she said she saw the info in internet forums, she didn't believe that but then she went to the OFFICIAL page of the expo and confirmed that info...:rolleyes:

crisiñaki said:
just one thing Elsa: she said she saw the info in internet forums, she didn't believe that but then she went to the OFFICIAL page of the expo and confirmed that info...
Well, that's the least she should do... but that's pretty enough to tell all about her work ethics...

We have here this saying "Diz-me com quem andas e dir-te-ei quem és" (Tell me who you live with and I'll tell who you are) and this woman is writting about the "exclusives" she finds in that shameful Cotilleando forum (the one whose members attend by the respectable nicknames of quinceanyera, falsicia or El Pitufo Cabron :rolleyes: )...

That must be also the "oficial site" where she took her stories about Infante Alfonso (who's dead since 1956!!) being the only "glue" in the ill relationship of D. Juan Carlos' with his sisters... Or of D. Juan's miserable lifestyle!! :ohmy:

No wonder that Peñafiel is praising her... :lol:

By the way, last Sunday's edition of Elmundo brings a revue about this book, saying things like these:

La autora pertenece por derecho propio a la tribu de cantamañanas del nuevo amarillismo español [...] Un libro de usar y tirar. Pilar Eyre debería mejorar sus conocimientos y recurrir menos a la cirugía estética.

Translation: «the author belongs, by her own merits, to the tribe of cantamañanas of the new Spanish yellow press[... ] This is a book to grab and throw away. Pilar Eyre should improve her knowledge and make less use of aesthetic surgery».

yeah, the book is pretty much trash, the only good thing that came from her was to uncover HRH Henar, Principessa di Firenze:rolleyes:

flctylu said:
Hey :flowers: , I was at Borders today (school's about to start...:bang: ) and was of course (typical of me) I was in the history section and found a really intresting book called "Juan Carlos" published in 2005 by Paul Pentacle. As you could tell by the title it's about his life as a child (during Franco's dictatorship) to the early 1990's. I havent started reading it yet but I've glanced at the pictures inside...there are really cute pictures that I haven't seen before, such as King Juan Carlos (at the age of 4, and there was a little note next to it saying that after the photo was taken (he had to take the big shoes off) Juan Carlos "learnt that Bourbons never cry but only in bed"). There were several more pictures, including...giving Infanta Elena away on her wedding day...young JC and Maria-Gabriella of Savoy (footnote beside it said "the vavacious daughter of the last exiled King Umberto of Savoy")...young JC in an army aircraft...young JC coming from Lisborn to Spain...engagemnt announcement of JC and Sofia (apparantly the footnote beside that picture said it was a "surprise" [could someone message me to the reason why it was a total surprise? I'd really like to know]...young JC and 8-9 year old [doesn't mention how old Fellipe is but he looked very young] Fellipe looking at each other and many others... :flowers:
Is it true that Sofia was learning judo when she met Juan Carlos?...
Short extract from the book that I'm currently reading...
Years later, Juan Carlos would relate how, the first time they met, the 15-year-old Sofia told him that she was learning judo. On hearing this, Juan Carlos said jokingly, "That won't be much use to you, will it? at which point she replied, "Is that what you think? Give me your hand," and preceeded to throw him to the floor.
:lol: :wub: Young love...Juan Carlos and Sofia were meant for each other :flowers: .

Last edited:
The King and me: A book about King Juan Carlos

Author: Antonio L. Bouza

This book now approaches aspects to us until well-known but never published. His author has been sharing friendship with Don Juan Carlos for fifty years.

El Semanal Digital=

Is this book available in English, fanletizia?

Sounds interesting, Fanletizia, thanks for the tip.

Like Elspeth, I wonder if the book is available in English.

Has anyone read the book Juan Carlos: Steering Spain from Dictatorship to Democracy?

I read:
  • La Chata: la Infanta Isabel de Borbón y la Corona de España. Rubio, María José, La esfera de los libros, Madrid 2003
  • De Alfonso la dulcísima esposa: María de las Mercedes, la reina enamorada. Queralt, María Pilar. Editorial Lumen. Barcelona 2003
  • La Reina Mercedes. Sagrera, Ana de; La esfera de los Libros
  • Amadeo y María Victoria (I thihnk that it was writed by Ana de Sagrera, Im sorry).
They are very interesting

So, did anybody buy/read John van der Kiste's 'A House Divided'? About the Spanish monarchy from Isabel II to Juan-Carlos? I have bought it and started reading the beginning but it seems to be leaning havily on Theo Aronsons 'Royal Vendetta'. And it is a typical van der Kiste: not that much in-depth things and only the basic information. I believe he didn't even leave the library in London for it! Perhaps that is why he has Queen Victoria as one of his main sources in the early part of the book (while there should be -many- more interesting sourceds around).

Infantas of Portugal, Queens of Spain

A Esfera dos Livros

Marsilio Cassotti - Infantas de Portugal, Rainhas de Espanha, Lisboa, Esfera dos Livros, 2007.

The book studies the eleven Infantas of Portugal who had been Queens of the Spanish kingdoms, between 1165 and 1816.

Here is an interview with the author, Marsilio Cassotti:
DN Online: "De Portugal, bons casamentos..."

While studying the history of Castile, the author realised that many of the Spanish queens were from Portugal; it was the nationality that reached the throne the most: eleven Portuguese princesses had been queens in the Spanish kingdoms.

We are talking of women like Dona Urraca (daughter of Afonso Henriques, who in spite of the good relationship with her husband, had to get separated, under orders of the Pope), Infanta Maria (who helped her husband to win the battle of Salado), Infanta Beatriz (who was in the origin of the battle of Aljubarrota), infanta Joana (who had to marry a supposedly homosexual prince), two strong characters who shared the same name (Isabel) and were famous for raising their own children (Isabel the Catholic and Felipe II), ending up with Infanta Maria Isabel de Bragança, who ordered the foundation of the Prado Museum and died due to a commanded caesarian, ordered by her own husband.

The author confesses that the history of Portugal is a gold mine of personages and situations. The queens, especially the medieval ones, are fascinating and these women had a personality that no one can even imagine.

Last edited:
O Primeiro de Janeiro

"During 700 years, several events had taken place in Portugal and Spain, due to the narrow relation established by these princesses" - says Marsilio Cassotti. It's the case, among others, of the creation of the monasteries of Lorvão and Arouca, the establishment of the border with Castile (the eldest one, in the whole the Europe) or the foundation of the Prado Museum, currently one of most important museums in the world.

In the origin of everything, there were these women, who had always had "great importance, from the strategical point of view", since they contributed with their marriages to the consolidation of the Spanish monarchy and of the kingdom of Portugal.

Urraca, Teresa, Mafalda, Constança, Maria, Beatriz, Isabel of Portugal and Empress Isabel, Joana, Bárbara and Isabel de Bragança are now remembered in a book that enriches the Iberian history, since "these Portuguese Infantas were Queens of great value for Spain", as they contributed to enrich the Spanish culture as we know it. From musicians (as Domenico Scarlatti) to painters (as Domingos Sequeira), the Portuguese Princesses took many of these masters in their "luggage", thus enriching the Spanish culture.

Last edited:
Are there any good english books about the current spanish royal family?

So, did anybody buy/read John van der Kiste's 'A House Divided'? About the Spanish monarchy from Isabel II to Juan-Carlos? I have bought it and started reading the beginning but it seems to be leaning havily on Theo Aronsons 'Royal Vendetta'. And it is a typical van der Kiste: not that much in-depth things and only the basic information. I believe he didn't even leave the library in London for it! Perhaps that is why he has Queen Victoria as one of his main sources in the early part of the book (while there should be -many- more interesting sourceds around).

You've just touched on the reason for why I avoid buying this book, despite the interesting topic that I do want to learn more about. I have a few of van der Kiste's books, and they're too much basic information, and not really all that interesting to read because of it.

I suppose the alternative, though, is learning Spanish...

I think there's one about Felipe called "Listo para reinar" (Ready to reign)

Does somebody know a little bit more about it?

I think there's one about Felipe called "Listo para reinar" (Ready to reign)

Does somebody know a little bit more about it?
Felipe de Borbón Listo para reinar

Concha CALLEJA - Felipe de Borbón: Listo para Reinar, Espejo de Tinta, 2004.
Price: 19.00 €

The book is conceived as a route through the Prince of Asturias' daily activities, in order to understand how does a king of the 21st century understands the Monarchy and conceives his idea of Spain.
The author had the opportunity to accompany a series of trips the Prince made abroad and shares her impressions about his work, as an embassador of Spain, trying to analyse the present (2004) in a future perspective.

Back
Top Bottom