The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-14-2004, 04:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Royal Family of Norway

"Folket" by Tor Bomann-Larsen - doubts Olav was Haakon's son...

The newest debate in the Norwegian papers is the second book in a series about King Haakon and Queen Maud. The author has managed to find evidence that he thinks proves that Olav wasn't Haakon's son.

Kong Haakon var ikke Olavs far? - Innenriks - Dagbladet.no
Sår tvil om Haakon var kong Olavs far - VG Nett om Foreldre og barn
Slottet uvitende - VG Nett om Kongehuset

(And the picture that would support the author's claim: Bildet som ryster Norge - VG Nett om Kongehuset) Another historian interviewed was impressed, because the rumours going around had been that Queen Maud was not his mother, not that King Haakon wasn't his father.

King Harald's reaction to it:
"Any author is within his or her full right to represent their understand of history," says H. M. The King. "That also goes for Tor Bomann Larsen's biography about King Haakon and Queen Maud."

The King have no information that would indicate that King Olav wouldn't have been the son of King Haakon.

"Prince Carl was after a referendum in 1905 elected by the Storting to be Norway's king, as King Haakon VII, with his wife Maud as queen, and their son Olav as Crown Prince"

Should this case be true it means that history books will have to be rewritten.

Old 10-14-2004, 04:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Another historian doesn't think this will affect Olav's reputation.
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=249899
"He acted like a king, was looked upon like a king, and will be loved, nevertheless." She says.

Old 10-14-2004, 04:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Here's an article on his sources. (All these articles are in Norwegian, but I assume some of them will be translated to English sooner or later.)

http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/2004/10/14/411286.html
Old 10-14-2004, 04:41 AM
Heir Apparent

I suppose I should clarify: If the above happen to be true, Haakon would still be related to Olav, as Haakon and Maud were cousins. (Queen Alexandra of Great Britain was the sister of Haakon/Carl's father.)

If it's true, then Olav and Märtha were not first cousins, but second cousins.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:10 AM
Heir Apparent

VG has an English article out now: http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=249919
Old 10-14-2004, 06:06 AM
Courtier

Sir Francis Guy Laking has indeed a strong resemblance to king Olav It would not suprise me when the story is true. But King Haakon and the present King Harald are still family when the story is true? If they are still family, there is no problem, family is family. :)
Old 10-14-2004, 06:31 AM
Heir Apparent

They are family. Both through queen Maud, and through Crown Princess Märtha (who was King Haakon's niece.)
Old 10-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Majesty

I wonder if they were preparing for this eventual debate? Olav was legally designated Norway's Crown Prince...

From the English Aftenposten. http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...icle890633.ece

Haakon, Maud and Olav V:

King Haakon, originally Danish Prince Carl, married his cousin Princess Maud in 1896.
*Maud was the daughter of Britain's King Edward VII and a granddaughter of Queen Victoria. If Bomann's theory proves correct, the present royal house of Norway is British on both sides.

*Olav, originally Prince Alexander, was born in England in 1903, roughly nine months after his mother had a secret hospital stay in the care of doctor Sir Francis Laking. Controversy has dogged the birth of Olav since King Haakon was alone on a two-month tour of Denmark around the time of conception.

*In 1905 Norway formally declared independence from Sweden and elected Prince Carl as first modern king. Carl insisted that his monarchy receive public approval in a referendum and only then ascended the throne as King Haakon.

*Olav was legally designated Norway's crown prince when Haakon and Maud took the throne, making the current monarchy legitimate, even if it is later established that the bloodline from Haakon has been broken.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:41 PM
Courtier

Royal lineage doubts debuked

I don't know if it's true.... i have no proof...

A historian at the university of oslo is throwing cold water on another author's theory that Norway's KIng Haakon was not biological father of his son Olav.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...cle1001331.ece
Old 03-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Haakon of Norway - biographies?

I admit as moderator of an other scandinavian forum on TRF, I shouldn´t open an own thread on my question :o , but my fast search has given no results (I couldn´t find a thread on norwegian books on TRF...if there´s one, then I apologise for posting this and I hope you can merge the threads). I wonder, if there was a book on Haakon published, which was made with his help (long interview...photo session) I mean something like Frederik´s journey through life http://i.e-boghandel.dk/dbgenerated/...553-3017-7.jpg or like Victoria Victoria http://www.ekerlids.com/isroot/ekerl...ktoriastor.jpg
Old 03-28-2005, 05:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, there was. In 1998, when he was 25, there was a book made from interviews with the Crown Prince that was was published. It's called "Haakon: Et portrett av kronprinsen som en ung mann" (Haakon: A portrait of the Crown Prince as a Young Man) and was written by Frederik Wandrup. (http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/1998/07/20/125397.html and http://vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=22979 reviews of the book, in Norwegian.) As far as I can see, I can't find any images of the book.

Haakon was also part of a book called "Tronarvingene" "Heirs to the thrones" which covered the Crown Princes/Princesses of Europe and was written by Gisle Hollekim (or something like that.)

Also in 1991 when King Harald had just ascended to the throne and Haakon had been made Crown Prince there were two books about him, but I'm unsure on how much he participated in them. "Haakon: Norges Kronprins" by Anne Helene Hohle and "Kronprins Haakon: Kongsemne" by Arvid Møller.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
Haakon was also part of a book called "Tronarvingene" "Heirs to the thrones" which covered the Crown Princes/Princesses of Europe and was written by Gisle Hollekim (or something like that.)
I've read this book, and it's not all that correct! It has some grave mistakes in it. I.e. the two youngest children of the ex-king and queen of Greece aren't mentioned at all At least my edition wasn't correct. Appart from that it's ok as an overview, in my opinion anyway :)

Old 03-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for the informations :) So the last one is from 1998. Hm, since then a lot of things have changed. IMO it´s highly time for a new one on Haakon (who IMO underwent a great personal development since 1998) and his lovely little family.
Wouldn´t this be a "job" for you, Anne (Nowegianne) ?
I´ve also a book on all european crown prince(sse)s. I don´t know the norwegian book, but I guess they are similar. The one I have is from 1998, and though the facts about their childhood don´t change, a lot of other things have changed since 1998. 5 of the 7 featured persons are now married, 1 is soon re-married. And three are already parents. So the book is quite "behind" and I really hope for an update
Old 03-28-2005, 05:06 PM
Heir Apparent

A lot of stuff has changed since 1998, indeed. But the last one was in connection with his 25th birthday, and then his sister did a book for her 30th... so I suspect we'll have to wait for an occasion to arise again. (And I wouldn't be amiss to writing it, though I highly suspect that someone more accustomed with writing about royals would get the chance.) Haakon has made more personal interviews on television...
Old 08-06-2005, 04:22 AM
Majesty

any new books planned about the crown prince

i would love to see a book about his travels
and his thoughts on these travels
Old 09-14-2005, 07:10 AM
Gentry

Mette-Marit biographies

Hello,

I read somewhere recently that a biographie about mette-marit is going to be released. Does anyone know if the book was translated in english and what it's called?

Thank you
Old 09-14-2005, 08:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Mette-Marit's official biography won't be published in Norwegian until next year, I believe. I don't know if it will be translated to English or not.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Serene Highness

I hope is does get translated , Im looking forward to reading it finger cross that it does!
Old 09-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Serene Highness

Me to! I would really love to read it!
Old 09-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Gentry

Thank you norwegianne, I really hope it does get translated, I'm really looking forward to it!

Tags
castle, king olav v, norway, oslo