Royal Family of Norway

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
"Folket" by Tor Bomann-Larsen - doubts Olav was Haakon's son...

The newest debate in the Norwegian papers is the second book in a series about King Haakon and Queen Maud. The author has managed to find evidence that he thinks proves that Olav wasn't Haakon's son.

Kong Haakon var ikke Olavs far? - Innenriks - Dagbladet.no
Sår tvil om Haakon var kong Olavs far - VG Nett om Foreldre og barn
Slottet uvitende - VG Nett om Kongehuset

(And the picture that would support the author's claim: Bildet som ryster Norge - VG Nett om Kongehuset) Another historian interviewed was impressed, because the rumours going around had been that Queen Maud was not his mother, not that King Haakon wasn't his father.

King Harald's reaction to it:
"Any author is within his or her full right to represent their understand of history," says H. M. The King. "That also goes for Tor Bomann Larsen's biography about King Haakon and Queen Maud."

The King have no information that would indicate that King Olav wouldn't have been the son of King Haakon.

"Prince Carl was after a referendum in 1905 elected by the Storting to be Norway's king, as King Haakon VII, with his wife Maud as queen, and their son Olav as Crown Prince"

Should this case be true it means that history books will have to be rewritten.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose I should clarify: If the above happen to be true, Haakon would still be related to Olav, as Haakon and Maud were cousins. (Queen Alexandra of Great Britain was the sister of Haakon/Carl's father.)

If it's true, then Olav and Märtha were not first cousins, but second cousins.

Sir Francis Guy Laking has indeed a strong resemblance to king Olav :eek: It would not suprise me when the story is true. But King Haakon and the present King Harald are still family when the story is true? If they are still family, there is no problem, family is family. :)

They are family. Both through queen Maud, and through Crown Princess Märtha (who was King Haakon's niece.)

I wonder if they were preparing for this eventual debate? Olav was legally designated Norway's Crown Prince...

From the English Aftenposten. http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article890633.ece

Haakon, Maud and Olav V:

King Haakon, originally Danish Prince Carl, married his cousin Princess Maud in 1896.
*Maud was the daughter of Britain's King Edward VII and a granddaughter of Queen Victoria. If Bomann's theory proves correct, the present royal house of Norway is British on both sides.

*Olav, originally Prince Alexander, was born in England in 1903, roughly nine months after his mother had a secret hospital stay in the care of doctor Sir Francis Laking. Controversy has dogged the birth of Olav since King Haakon was alone on a two-month tour of Denmark around the time of conception.

*In 1905 Norway formally declared independence from Sweden and elected Prince Carl as first modern king. Carl insisted that his monarchy receive public approval in a referendum and only then ascended the throne as King Haakon.

*Olav was legally designated Norway's crown prince when Haakon and Maud took the throne, making the current monarchy legitimate, even if it is later established that the bloodline from Haakon has been broken.

Haakon of Norway - biographies?

I admit as moderator of an other scandinavian forum on TRF, I shouldn´t open an own thread on my question :eek: , but my fast search has given no results (I couldn´t find a thread on norwegian books on TRF...if there´s one, then I apologise for posting this and I hope you can merge the threads). I wonder, if there was a book on Haakon published, which was made with his help (long interview...photo session) I mean something like Frederik´s journey through life http://i.e-boghandel.dk/dbgenerated/isbnimage_isbn-87-553-3017-7.jpg or like Victoria Victoria http://www.ekerlids.com/isroot/ekerlids1/Images/Viktoriastor.jpg

Yes, there was. In 1998, when he was 25, there was a book made from interviews with the Crown Prince that was was published. It's called "Haakon: Et portrett av kronprinsen som en ung mann" (Haakon: A portrait of the Crown Prince as a Young Man) and was written by Frederik Wandrup. (http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/1998/07/20/125397.html and http://vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=22979 reviews of the book, in Norwegian.) As far as I can see, I can't find any images of the book.

Haakon was also part of a book called "Tronarvingene" "Heirs to the thrones" which covered the Crown Princes/Princesses of Europe and was written by Gisle Hollekim (or something like that.)

Also in 1991 when King Harald had just ascended to the throne and Haakon had been made Crown Prince there were two books about him, but I'm unsure on how much he participated in them. "Haakon: Norges Kronprins" by Anne Helene Hohle and "Kronprins Haakon: Kongsemne" by Arvid Møller.

norwegianne said:
Haakon was also part of a book called "Tronarvingene" "Heirs to the thrones" which covered the Crown Princes/Princesses of Europe and was written by Gisle Hollekim (or something like that.)

I've read this book, and it's not all that correct! It has some grave mistakes in it. I.e. the two youngest children of the ex-king and queen of Greece aren't mentioned at all :confused: At least my edition wasn't correct. Appart from that it's ok as an overview, in my opinion anyway :)

Thank you for the informations :) So the last one is from 1998. Hm, since then a lot of things have changed. IMO it´s highly time for a new one on Haakon (who IMO underwent a great personal development since 1998) and his lovely little family.
Wouldn´t this be a "job" for you, Anne (Nowegianne) ;) ?
I´ve also a book on all european crown prince(sse)s. I don´t know the norwegian book, but I guess they are similar. The one I have is from 1998, and though the facts about their childhood don´t change, a lot of other things have changed since 1998. 5 of the 7 featured persons are now married, 1 is soon re-married. And three are already parents. So the book is quite "behind" and I really hope for an update

A lot of stuff has changed since 1998, indeed. But the last one was in connection with his 25th birthday, and then his sister did a book for her 30th... so I suspect we'll have to wait for an occasion to arise again. (And I wouldn't be amiss to writing it, though I highly suspect that someone more accustomed with writing about royals would get the chance.) Haakon has made more personal interviews on television...

any new books planned about the crown prince

i would love to see a book about his travels
and his thoughts on these travels

Mette-Marit biographies

Hello,

I read somewhere recently that a biographie about mette-marit is going to be released. Does anyone know if the book was translated in english and what it's called?

Thank you

Mette-Marit's official biography won't be published in Norwegian until next year, I believe. I don't know if it will be translated to English or not.

I hope is does get translated , Im looking forward to reading it finger cross that it does!

Thank you norwegianne, I really hope it does get translated, I'm really looking forward to it!

I Dont belive it just a silly little rumor

Even *IF* this is true (and I highly doubt that it is), what possible difference can it make? Haakon obviously loved and cared for Olav so why does anyone feel the need to air out these unfounded speculations?:mad: :mad: :mad: It infuriates me.

Well, after reading the articles and seeing the pictures, ou can't deny that Olav, Harald and Haakon Magnus are related...

This is truly shocking!! A granddaughter of Queen Victoria bearing a child not of her husband and passing the child off as an heir?? Never!! What slanderous dirt!

The photographs of King Olav show a strong resemblance to his Grandfather,King Edward VII.

The most interesting part for me is to know what the Norwegian people will do with their royalty if they find that the rumour to be the truth. Do you think the Royal family will allow them doing DNA test?.

Sorry for little out of topic but the article above remind me other article about Duke of Edinburg has questioned Harry's real father because Harry resembleace much with Diana's ex boyfriend capt. Jammes Hewwit (???), if they find it as true, in my opinion, it still fortunate for royal family that Harry is not a future CP.

I think, royal can do some mistake like other. A long time ago in France had many rumour about "not every queen's children was King's biological children":eek:.

Last edited:
galuhcandrakirana said:
The most interesting part for me is to know what the Norwegian people will do with their royalty if they find that the rumour to be the truth. Do you think the Royal family will allow them doing DNA test?.

Sorry for little out of topic but the article above remind me other article about Duke of Edinburg has questioned Harry's real father because Harry resembleace much with Diana's ex boyfriend capt. Jammes Hewwit (???), if they find it as true, in my opinion, it still fortunate for royal family that Harry is not a future CP.

I think, royal can do some mistake like other. A long time ago in France had many rumour about "not every queen's children was King's biological children":eek:.

Harry resembles Lady Sarah McCorquodale's son. Charles is Harry's father and I wish people would stop spreading this vicious lie. Diana did not know James Hewitt until 1986.

tiaraprin said:
Harry resembles Lady Sarah McCorquodale's son. Charles is Harry's father and I wish people would stop spreading this vicious lie. Diana did not know James Hewitt until 1986.
I didn't mean to bring another discussion in this thread, just mention the simmilarity issue beetween the two royal news (unfortunately I don't save the news source). I don't pay much attention about this Harry rumour. If somebody interest to discuss about Harry rumour may be BRF forum has thread about it or we will get a warning from moderator;)

Last edited:
galuhcandrakirana said:
It's not a big deal, to anybody but historians, I think. The fact of the matter is that Olav's bloodline, whatever they may or may not be, doesn't matter. Had he been born after his father's ascension to the throne, it might have been quite another deal alltogether, but one of the select items that made Carl of Denmark a preferred candidate to the Norwegian throne, (his father-in-law/uncle aside) was the fact that he came with an heir. So, by electing Carl, they also elected little Alexander.

norwegianne said:
It's not a big deal, to anybody but historians, I think. The fact of the matter is that Olav's bloodline, whatever they may or may not be, doesn't matter. Had he been born after his father's ascension to the throne, it might have been quite another deal alltogether, but one of the select items that made Carl of Denmark a preferred candidate to the Norwegian throne, (his father-in-law/uncle aside) was the fact that he came with an heir. So, by electing Carl, they also elected little Alexander.

Excellent point Norwegianne.

Back
Top Bottom