Royal and Other Magazines (PdeV, Majesty, Hello! etc)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright, thanks for this information -- Shame that we don't hear more about overseas Royals, apart from the British ones, here in the States. :bang:
Well, Worldroots' Royal pages are never updated! I haven't seen the site kept up to date in three years, have you? The parts devoted to the late Prince Rainier's grandkids isn't kept up, that's for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is probably a silly question but Point de Vue is in French, isn't it? How easy would it be to understand for someone who speaks hardly any French?

Regards,
Lisa

Yes it is all in French. However, if you are interested in royalty, Point de Vue is having fewer and fewer articles about the royals and more about celebrities. The Sarkozy's/Sarkozys/Bruni clan have more or less monopolized the majority of the articles since the election.
A few years ago the wedding in Belgium and Greece would have been covered over a few issues. Nowdays they only have a small picture and a summary. :nonono: I doubt I will renew my subscription.

Alright, thanks for this information -- Shame that we don't hear more about overseas Royals, apart from the British ones, here in the States. :bang:

Well, Worldroots' Royal pages are never updated! I haven't seen the site kept up to date in three years, have you? The parts devoted to the late Prince Rainier's grandkids isn't kept up, that's for sure.

Worldroots hasn't been working like it should be for a couple of months now. If you go click on the photos to view them, it says there's been an error.

Yes it is all in French. However, if you are interested in royalty, Point de Vue is having fewer and fewer articles about the royals and more about celebrities. The Sarkozy's/Sarkozys/Bruni clan have more or less monopolized the majority of the articles since the election.
A few years ago the wedding in Belgium and Greece would have been covered over a few issues. Nowdays they only have a small picture and a summary. :nonono: I doubt I will renew my subscription.

Indeed!I was deeply disappointed when Point de Vue changed practically its point of view:lol: and instead of writing about royals, the majority of its articles focused on celebrities and Carla, Carla and celebrities. We had already manyyyyy..... magazines dealing with celebrities, now we have another one...:nonono:

Indeed!I was deeply disappointed when Point de Vue changed practically its point of view:lol: and instead of writing about royals, the majority of its articles focused on celebrities and Carla, Carla and celebrities. We had already manyyyyy..... magazines dealing with celebrities, now we have another one...:nonono:

They were voted the best "people" magazine so they are trying to live up to their reputation. I was looking on the web to see one of the latest issues. The wedding in Belgium was a small image on the cover while a ring one of the French ministers is wearing and if it may or may not mean something took the whole cover. (Can't wait till that issue arrives):lol:

The old Point de Vue is dead basically. They still have a few good journalists who try and who certainly have interesting articles but it gets overshadowed by Carla Sarkozy, Cecilia ex-Sarkozy, Sarkozy's son, Sarkozy's mother, Sarkozy's dog and if they go on a this rate soon by Sarkozy's cleaning lady.

In my own country the popularity of (monthly) royalty magazines is growing though, mainly 'what are they wearing' and 'the 7-year itch for WA & Maxima?' kind of stuff though. Even the most serious royalty magazine 'Vorsten Royale' has been cutting down on Non-Reigning royals and focusses on the Maxima-effect for a large part.

There is the Belgian magazine 'Royals' that appears monthly, with lots of pictures. They appear in german, Dutch and French I believe. Still personally I find the quality of the images they use not that good.

Last edited:
It is such a pity Marengo. I remember the old PdV. I could read about current events, history even recipes.
Nowdays the only part that is of great interest are the little glimpses about the Royal happenings and the current auction prices........since I can never finish the Sudoku puzzles........

7 year itch?? :eek: Hope all is well in paradise.

I have old copies of Point de Vue from years back and they are wonderful.
But now, it is like a completely different magazine - totally devoted to the Sarkozys and that ilk.
Every once in a while, P de V will do a special issue - like the 60th anniversay issue which they did several years ago and those issues are well worth the money.
Hello magazine is worth the cost when it covers something like the Peter Phillips wedding as there are pages and pages of good photos.

I had every single issue since Feb 1976. Then I decided one day to make room and got rid of all of them except for some very special issues. Now I am back again hoarding 2 years worth of them. I would have loved it if something like the old PdV format comes along again.
I check Royalty and Majesty at the local bookstore once in a while for something new but it is not the same.

I have old copies of Point de Vue from years back and they are wonderful.
But now, it is like a completely different magazine - totally devoted to the Sarkozys and that ilk.

I'm very disappointed by Point de vue now. I don't buy it any more. :nonono:

I had every single issue since Feb 1976.
Wow, I'm impressed! I had every issue since Sept 1989, with my own index book (obsessive, yes, but very useful :D). Then I went through each copy and took out what I wanted for my files. As I worked my way through it became obvious the focus of the magazine had changed dramatically with the later issues having less and less content of interest. I stopped buying PdeV in September 2007 when one cover story too many on Cécilia Sarzoky confirmed that I was over it.

Hola mag had very nice pics.
I´ve Hola, PdV, Semana and Hello old mags since 1970.

Wow, I'm impressed! I had every issue since Sept 1989, with my own index book (obsessive, yes, but very useful :D). Then I went through each copy and took out what I wanted for my files. As I worked my way through it became obvious the focus of the magazine had changed dramatically with the later issues having less and less content of interest. I stopped buying PdeV in September 2007 when one cover story too many on Cécilia Sarzoky confirmed that I was over it.

Those where the heady days when PdV would devote reams of paper over the announcement of the Silvia /CG engagement and then go on with details about where she shopped what she bought, who designed it. We went on to the preparations of the marriage and then speculations about whether she was pregnant in July or August till December when it was finally announced and Poor Prince Bertil could finally marry Lillian.......
My favourite pages were those devoted to comparing the ancestry of each of the various brides and grooms to be. I saved very few issues. I should have kept those and toss the new ones...I can still not kick the habit......Hopefully by the end of this subscription round I will be cured!:whistling:

Hello magazine

As a regular reader of the website of Hello Magazine for many years I have recently begun to wonder if they have reduced articles concerning the royal persons. I think there are more celebrity and states men articles than royalties. The overall impression is that the articles are shorter, too, than before. What do you think? Is there a commonly known reason for that or is it just that anything of "great interest" hasn't taken place in royal circles for a while? Do they still have the royal articles in the Hello paper version?

FWIW, Point de Vue is now available through Zinio.com as an electronic magazine. Hello, Hola, and others are also available through that site.

The French site Toute la presse magazine en téléchargement ! Relay also has Point de Vue, as well as Paris Match and other French-language magazines.

I've used both sites for years, and I prefer Zinio, although Relay is perfectly good. Since I'm in the United States, I have to pay for a foreign transaction fee on my credit card when I order through Relay, which I don't for Zinio. Zinio also allows both downloadable and online viewing.

kal

And I find today's celebrities so uninteresting ... although I can say that of many young royals too.

Ozzi land

I am very dissapointed that Australia doesn't have that Majesty Magazine. Apparrantly every country has their own version. Now look you all have to tease me with such good info. No fair :(

I doubt we have our own version. One of the reason's Majesty is so expensive is the freight cost from the UK.

I am very dissapointed that Australia doesn't have that Majesty Magazine. Apparrantly every country has their own version. Now look you all have to tease me with such good info. No fair :(

My library in Brisbane has the copy. Sometimes it just takes a while to get here.

I really wish Australia would get its own version, it would do great over here:)

I occasionally buy HELLO magazine (UK) following a Royal event. It used to be excellent in covering the Monaco Royals, but sadly I've noticed there's less & less space devoted to them. I looked today at the current issue & couldn't find any coverage of the Rose Ball. Looking back over previous years there's usually a couple of pages devoted to this event. I may have missed it last week but I don't think so given the publication day - perhaps someone can let me know. However, I would imagine HOLA! covered it thoroughly. I do miss the regular photo spreads of Caroline & Stephanie in HELLO, & so far Charlotte doesn't seem to have sparked so much interest even though she spends a great deal of time in the UK.

I take back my previous comment - have just seen this week's HELLO & there's some coverage of the Rose Ball including a fashion item on Caroline's champagne cork bracelet! I stand by my comment about there being less regular coverage of the Monagasque Royal family though.

I think Hello magazine only very rarely reports on events in Europe they have oncenow and again. The Rose Ball the Nobel Prize, but they haven't had any events from Denmark, Norway, Belgium or the Netherlands. They post them on the website but never publish them in the magazine.
It's a shame really.
x

The Moneqasques royals-particularly Caroline and Charlotte-receive minimal publicity in publications like Hello! possibly because they have proven to be very litigious and the editors grew tired of being sued every other month, over the most trivial things.

Paris Match got so fed up with Caroline that they no longer print anything about her at all, not even her wonderful work with the AMADE charity, which is kind of a shame but I really cannot blame them.

We get it in the U.S. but it is quite clearly a British publication. it takes quite a while to get to my bookseller, if it gets there at all. It seems to be less readily available than it was a number of years ago.

And I've given up on Royalty entirely. It's even less popular than Majesty, and it's become so intensive on actresses that I can't stand it.

Last edited:
iowabelle that is the PRECISE reason why I have given up on Royalty Mag and why I don't read Point de Vue regularly anymore.

This focus on these two-bit starlets is just horrible. I'd rather read about the most minor, most obscure royalty or aristo than any Hollywood actress on any day!

Back
Top Bottom