The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #141  
Old 12-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 4,909
The problem with Hello! is that although they usually have at least one good royalty related article, the lion's share of the mag is devoted to British TV stars who, if you don't reside in the UK you have no idea in hell who most of them are!

These starlets are invariably posed on the cover, spouting the good news about their "miracle" pregnancies or babies after years of "heartache" blah blah blah. There are lovely photos of some nice mansion or another in the Cotswolds or someplace, and oh yeah. The starlet will be planning a huge white wedding with all the trimmings as soon as she gets her post baby figure back. (Does ANYONE get married FIRST anymore, then have a baby??!)

I am sure I sound like a terrible snob but it's the way I feel. There is no safe haven for those of us who have no use for tabloid celebs and like to read about the world of Royals and high aristocracy. We are a dying breed. Royals don't sell as well as Britney, Paris et al as much as it pains me to admit this.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 12-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Liz's Avatar
Liz Liz is offline
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 95
LOL That's so true, CaliforniaDreamin I subscribe to Hello and usually I have never heard of about 75% of the celebs that are featured in the magazine. I consider myself pretty "up" on most things across the pond but when it comes to British television programs I haven't a clue. And I have found that most of the Royal news is already reported here on the board, so when there is an article on one of the Royals in the magazine, it's old news by the time it reaches my door.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 12-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, D.C., United States
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
These starlets are invariably posed on the cover, spouting the good news about their "miracle" pregnancies or babies after years of "heartache" blah blah blah. There are lovely photos of some nice mansion or another in the Cotswolds or someplace, and oh yeah. The starlet will be planning a huge white wedding with all the trimmings as soon as she gets her post baby figure back. (Does ANYONE get married FIRST anymore, then have a baby??!)

I am sure I sound like a terrible snob but it's the way I feel. There is no safe haven for those of us who have no use for tabloid celebs and like to read about the world or Royals and high aristocracy. We are a dying breed. Royals don't sell as well as Britney, Paris et al as much as it pains me to admit this.
I know just what you mean! I get a few of the British TV shows here, but apparently very few of the ones that have celebs who appear in Hello.

It's probably just as well. I like several of the sitcoms, but I have a really hard time following the British soaps because of the accents. My British friends tease me mercilessly, because Eastenders makes no sense to me at all unless I turn on the closed captioning. Might as well be in Greek as far as I'm concerned.

I always laugh at the way all the celebs in Hello pose in their bare feet -- you'd think England in February was like Malibu in June. This week there's a spread about Fergie (the duchess, not the singer), and there she is, sitting next to her shoes...

And, yes, it is depressing to realize that Paris, Britney, et al, all sell better than the royals. There's just no glamour to today's stars -- the royals are the only ones who even come close.

kal
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 12-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 4,909
I am so happy I am not alone and that others can commiserate. I don't want to read a blow by blow account of how some dippy starlet "made a baby" with her live in lover...and then an equally tacky description of labor and delivery and how many pushes it took to get the newborn out! I want to poke my eyes out with a fork when they print those articles!

Point de Vue was my safe haven from all the tackiness and I think the days are coming to an end...at my local library you can read back issues of PDV going back to the 80's and it was SUCH a quality Royals mag in those days. It's like all the Royalty mags threw in the towel after the death of the Princess of Wales because they feel there are no other newsworthy, glamorous or interesting Royals. WRONG. I want to pick up Point de Vue and read about what went wrong with the Count and Countess of Paris. I want to read about the lives of their children and grandchildren. I want an insider's view of the day to day lives of Their Majesties Juan Carlos and Sophie of Spain. I want a retrospective article on the love story of Baudouin and Fabiola of Belgium, and how they overcame the heartache of infertility to form one of the 20th Century's most enduring Royal couples.THIS is what I will subscribe to in Point de Vue!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 12-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, D.C., United States
Posts: 326
Yes, yes, yes, on the "old" Point de Vue. Years ago, PDV used to *suggest* scandals and overtones in a way that fascinated me -- I'd get the drift of what they meant, but everything was sort of discreet.

(These days, rather than talking about Baudouin and Fabiola's love story, we'd probably get ovulation schedules and sperm counts.)

But, I wonder if today's younger royals even have enough glamour or mystique to create the stories we saw years ago. I think that the generation born after, say, the mid-1960s has grown up with such a sense of being "like everyone else," there's nothing special about them at all. They just don't have the "presence" their elders had.

I've had a chance to see several royals up close in real life. Elizabeth and Philip, Charles, Farah Diba, Beatrix, Grace, Henrik, Anne-Marie, Sophia and Juan Carlos, Felipe, Pavlos, Noor, and Silvia all had *magic* -- they truly changed the electricity in the rooms they were in, even though several of them were "off duty" and dining or shopping in private circumstances. By contrast, I literally didn't notice that Mary, Laurent, Zara, or Willem-Alexander were in the room or at the event until someone pointed them out. They seemed like nice, charming people, but they didn't have the presence their elders have.

(But, I'd bet they'd still run rings around Britney Spears!)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 12-22-2007, 05:45 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 255
I have had an order for PDV through my local newsagent for about 7 years. The problem is that it can be quite erratic. The shop tells me it is the distributer's problem, not theirs. The distributer, when I eventually managed to get someone to respond, said it was that they often didn't get enough magazines themselves.

Now, I know I am one of a very small minority in Scotland who orders/reads PDV (most people are into awful, shoddy celebrities), but business is business, and you would think the publishers would be keen to publish more and sell more magazines.

It is also impossible for me to get a back copy once I discover that it has not been delivered (rather than just being delayed!). I would say that one does not arrive about every couple of months. Since I also get a German magazine through the same system, and it practically always turns up, I feel it is not so much the system at our end (poor though that may be) but something at either PDV's end, or the French distributers. Frustrating! I must try the website, though.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 12-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, D.C., United States
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison20 View Post
It is also impossible for me to get a back copy once I discover that it has not been delivered (rather than just being delayed!). I would say that one does not arrive about every couple of months. Since I also get a German magazine through the same system, and it practically always turns up, I feel it is not so much the system at our end (poor though that may be) but something at either PDV's end, or the French distributers. Frustrating! I must try the website, though.
I had that problem years ago with both Hello and PDV from time to time here in the U.S. Any time either magazine had an issue that was a big seller at the newsstands in Europe or the UK, I'd either get my copy late or not at all. For about a month after Diana died, I didn't receive either magazine, then I got about 6 back issues and special issues in mail all on one day.

If you're looking for a recent back issue, both Hello and PDV have past issues going back to around 2004/2005 available online. It won't get your money back, but if you're interested in the articles, you can find them.

kal
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 12-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 255
Thanks, Kalnel. I will look at the online option in future.

But you are right - they don't seem to produce extra copies of issues which are likely to sell well, so people outside of France (or the UK in the case of Hello) are likely to be dropped off the circulation.

Currently my last issue of PDV is week 51, so I am a couple of issues behind already. Here's hoping they come eventually!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 12-27-2007, 06:24 PM
TheTruth's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Posts: 2,682
Guess who's on the front page of Point de Vue ? Carla Bruni ... again ! "Is she going to say 'yes' ?". What a bunch of tabloid writers !
__________________

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 12-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Hannelore's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Posts: 2,112
It's pure selling technique. PDV is a very well selling mag. Suppose you could only place royals on the cover, it would have to be reduced to the Grimaldis and the Windsors, the ones the big public knows ... That would get on our nerves too. I don't mind they use persons like Ingrid Bettancourt (after all big issue for France) and someone glamorous like Cécilia Sarkozy or Carla Bruni, who'se in the news and hangs around in a royal/presidential atmoshere. PDV has always been a mixture of royalty-aristocracy, moviestars, fashion, art, glamorous news and history. One issue is better than the other, but on the whole I'm satisfied.

I do notice that they try to reach a younger audience. I don't know how it is in France, but in Belgium it's an old ladies magazine.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 12-29-2007, 11:11 AM
TheTruth's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Posts: 2,682
Well in France it's a "serious" magazine, not considered as a tabloid. It's the upper class of celebrity magazines and most readers are old women lol. But I'm 16 and I read it so I believe there are exeptions
__________________

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 12-29-2007, 11:19 AM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
When I was in Paris in July Grace Kelly was on the cover of Point De Vue but I couldn't read it since it was in French.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 12-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Micky's, United States
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore View Post
It's pure selling technique. PDV is a very well selling mag. Suppose you could only place royals on the cover, it would have to be reduced to the Grimaldis and the Windsors, the ones the big public knows ...
Not quite. Felipe & Letizia's wedding was one of the best selling PdV issue ever according to PdV's own report. After all, Spanish royal family was Borbon, originally from France.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 12-30-2007, 01:33 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Omaha, United States
Posts: 1,601
Cool

Royalty is still around. They were having a change over in their printing process or so I was told when I e-mailed them earlier this fall. I received my new issue last week.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 12-30-2007, 06:42 PM
HRH Abigail's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, United States
Posts: 357
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
The English 'Majesty' Magazine is pretty trustworthy. They have a brilliant mix of old and new as well. But Pro-Camilla if thats an issue for you. I was reading that someone wrote in to say that they would no longer buy the magazine if it featured Camilla. I buy it more often to see the Camilla coverage!
YES, quite reputable it is!

I have subscribed to it FOREVER.

The editor-in-Chief, Ingrid Seqard, takes great care not to be salacious, although once in awhile one can throw in a tidbit or two ... and, she does!

I love that Charles married Camilla, finally. NOT to have done, would have been a complete sham, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore View Post
I'm addicted to point de vue. Royals is nice as well (great photos but silly texts), but only a monthly. PdV brings something fresh every week.

For those intrested in Belgian aristocracy I can recommend L'éventail

L'Eventail >> Accueil
I buy it when it has coverage of The Monegasque Royals, especially Princess Stephanie de Monaco, and Caroline's "children".
I pick my way thru' it, French-English dictionary firmly in hand, LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline mathilda View Post
I would add Hola! to the list.
... for the photos, especially.

I like Vanidades, although it doesn't devote itself to Royalty as much as do other 'zines.

-- Abbie
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 01-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel View Post
Yes, yes, yes, on the "old" Point de Vue. Years ago, PDV used to *suggest* scandals and overtones in a way that fascinated me -- I'd get the drift of what they meant, but everything was sort of discreet.

(These days, rather than talking about Baudouin and Fabiola's love story, we'd probably get ovulation schedules and sperm counts.)

But, I wonder if today's younger royals even have enough glamour or mystique to create the stories we saw years ago. I think that the generation born after, say, the mid-1960s has grown up with such a sense of being "like everyone else," there's nothing special about them at all. They just don't have the "presence" their elders had.

I've had a chance to see several royals up close in real life. Elizabeth and Philip, Charles, Farah Diba, Beatrix, Grace, Henrik, Anne-Marie, Sophia and Juan Carlos, Felipe, Pavlos, Noor, and Silvia all had *magic* -- they truly changed the electricity in the rooms they were in, even though several of them were "off duty" and dining or shopping in private circumstances. By contrast, I literally didn't notice that Mary, Laurent, Zara, or Willem-Alexander were in the room or at the event until someone pointed them out. They seemed like nice, charming people, but they didn't have the presence their elders have.

(But, I'd bet they'd still run rings around Britney Spears!)
You certainly hit the nail on the head with every word of this post! It's very depressing isn't it? The young Royals are trying sooo hard to be "relevant" and just like everyone else and they are succeeding to the point of not really seeming Royal anymore.

With the Royals from my parents and grandparent's generation I wouldn't have thought twice about curtsying to them...it would have been instinctual!

The ones from today? I'd PROBABLY do it, but I'd have to think about it first!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 01-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel View Post
I had that problem years ago with both Hello and PDV from time to time here in the U.S. Any time either magazine had an issue that was a big seller at the newsstands in Europe or the UK, I'd either get my copy late or not at all. For about a month after Diana died, I didn't receive either magazine, then I got about 6 back issues and special issues in mail all on one day.

If you're looking for a recent back issue, both Hello and PDV have past issues going back to around 2004/2005 available online. It won't get your money back, but if you're interested in the articles, you can find them.

kal
If you are interested in REALLY old issues..like from the 60's and 70's you can get them on ebay or other online venues...it's probably worth it because some of the old covers of Paris Match and Point de Vue look glamorous beyond belief! Princess Margaret, Gracy Kelly, Princess Paola(now Queen Paola of Belgium) and on and on..so gorgeous!

There is no way today's starlets could compete with those women!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 01-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Well in France it's a "serious" magazine, not considered as a tabloid. It's the upper class of celebrity magazines and most readers are old women lol. But I'm 16 and I read it so I believe there are exeptions
I'm not nearly as young as you are, but I am not an old lady either and I love Point de Vue...WHEN they stick to Royal subjects!

I almost never read the American tabloids like People, Star Mag or even the Enquirer anymore. All they talk about is who is pregnant or trying to get pregnant, or who is overweight. Every week it's either Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan or Britney Spears. Seriously, the tabloids in this country are OBSESSED with those three and I just can't take it!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 01-03-2008, 08:07 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
I don't consider People Magazine a tabloid, its very informative.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 01-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Abigail View Post
YES, quite reputable it is!

I have subscribed to it FOREVER.

The editor-in-Chief, Ingrid Seqard, takes great care not to be salacious, although once in awhile one can throw in a tidbit or two ... and, she does!

I love that Charles married Camilla, finally. NOT to have done, would have been a complete sham, IMHO.



I buy it when it has coverage of The Monegasque Royals, especially Princess Stephanie de Monaco, and Caroline's "children".
I pick my way thru' it, French-English dictionary firmly in hand, LOL



... for the photos, especially.

I like Vanidades, although it doesn't devote itself to Royalty as much as do other 'zines.

-- Abbie
Vanidades is interesting..a new "discovery" for me! They tend to be much more daring in the Royalty gossip they print. For example a month or so ago they published an old photo of a young and beautiful Princess Paola(now Queen) of Belgium...romping on the beach with one of her lovers. It had been taken in the 70's. The entire article was about how wild Paola was and now she has settled down, of course. Then there was an article about Charlotte Casiraghi and how she likes lounge lizard/playboys just her her mom Princess Caroline did when she was young. I couldn't believe it! They would SO get sued if they published that in France!

I don't speak Spanish, and I can read very little of it(Vanidades is in Spanish)
but I can read enough to know a good gossip when I see it LOL!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:12 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]