Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-30-2005, 05:15 AM
Courtier

What magazines to trust?

My response = None

"MII"

Old 10-30-2005, 05:34 AM
Gentry

I subscribe to the magazine , "Royalty Monthly". It seems to lately show movie stars and models on its cover. The last issue I got had Claudia Schieffer (Spelling?) on the cover! Inside it talked about her once dating Prince Albert of Monaco. I do not understand why this magazine whould put movie stars and models on its covers! This is suppose to be a magazine about Royalty! I do like the articles and photos in this magazine. Here in the U.S.A., we don't hear many stories about any other royals besides England. Occasionally we hear about Monaco Royalty. I like to read about other royalty besides the British Royals. I get sick of hearing about Camilla and Charles. I do not care if she wears a tiara for the first time in her life! That is the kind of news we hear in the U.S.A.! I did hear that the couple will make a trip to America, but I did not hear when that will happen. Heard that on the tv news.

Old 11-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Commoner

Royal magazines

Hi. I know I've come to this discussion very late but I'm really heartened to see I'm not the only one who's frustrated at the fact Royalty magazine has started to put movie stars and celebrities on the cover and inside pages. Truth be told I've bought Royalty religiously since 1987 but, for the first time since then, I've cancelled my subscription. Jil, do as I did and let them know of your frustration as it is wrong that we pay - or, if you bought a 12 month subscription - have paid for a magazine titled 'Royalty' which then goes on about celebs (and, in a recent copy, the funeral of a politician - Robin Cook - who few outside Britain would know of!).

Personally, I don't reckon many magazines these days are that great for royal stories. You're better sticking to the web for stories and images. I just think that, sadly, the cult of here-today-gone-tomorrow celebrity has taken over big time and has knocked the royals out of the spotlight.

Just my own opinion.

Joanne
www.theroyalist.net
Old 11-20-2005, 09:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywellian
Hi. I know I've come to this discussion very late but I'm really heartened to see I'm not the only one who's frustrated at the fact Royalty magazine has started to put movie stars and celebrities on the cover and inside pages.
I agree with you Joanne. I've just started buying Royalty magazine (its $11 in Australia) and I couldn't work out why they have celebrities inside. The first one I bought had a pic of Scarlett Johansson on the cover and pictures of fashion parades inside that had nothing to do with royalty. At least one of their fashion reports has Marie-Chantel in it.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:21 PM
Aristocracy

I agree. I hate it. I don't like celebs. That's why I watch royalty.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Royal Highness

I think you're better off searching the net ad coming here!

I used to buy countless magazines just to pay alot of money for a few pics and a false story, it's better to come to this forum.

Old 11-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla1971
I think you're better off searching the net ad coming here!

I used to buy countless magazines just to pay alot of money for a few pics and a false story, it's better to come to this forum.
I completely agree. why get magazines when you can use the internet to see as many photos as you want of the royals you like. why wade through a 5 page story on princess michael on your search for one photo of Madeleine in Majesty when you could get reams of them here.

plus, i think a lot of the posters are a lot more knowledgeable than many so-called "royalty experts."
Old 11-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
plus, i think a lot of the posters are a lot more knowledgeable than many so-called "royalty experts."
Yeah! The people who post here know about royalty out of genuine interest, and don't have hidden motives to create some good headlines like most writers....

Old 11-23-2005, 06:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
Maybe Billedbladet is the best, what the DRF can expect...but a serious newspaper, doing good research??

Well, I would say not bad are:
Svensk Damtidning (Swedish)

Sometimes these mags are real treasures. But to be honest, most of the pics we can also see online (*coughing*)
And in spite the fact, that most gossip rags are 100 times wrong, they are also one or two times right. E.g. the mags have prognosed a divorce of Alexandra and Joachim...and I´ve also written one day before, that this is a lie. But they were right. We shouldn´t forget, that also Royals are denying and lying to us. So IMO the mags, who work more with sources, informants, speculations, digging in the dirt have also their right to be. When e.g. ppl like Alexandra and Joachim play the show of the happy couple to us and a mag is proving them wrong, it´s for me ok. I don´t want to be fooled, but at the same time I also don´t want to be fooled of the mags (and some of them work only with this principle)
True, they does get it right sometimes, but too often the magazines are wrong.
I haven´t read any magazines, other than the swedish ones, enough to say anything about them.
But I agree with you Lena, of the swedish gossip mags, Svensk Damtidning is a little "better" than f.ex Se & Hör.

However, SvD did a huge misstake in the late 90´s claiming for several years that crownprincess Victoria had a reletionship with Niclas Svedin, when Se & Hör wrote that she was dating Daniel Collert. It was quite funny, in the same week Se & Hör and SvD could run stories about Victorias romantic weekend, but with different men
And as we all know, Daniel Collert was her real boyfriend so I guess they are not completely trustworthy...
Old 12-02-2005, 05:25 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie
And as we all know, Daniel Collert was her real boyfriend so I guess they are not completely trustworthy...
No? Not trustworthy? Going out on a limb there, Yennie?
Old 01-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Gentry

Magazines

Does anyone know of any good magazines that are specifically about royalty that I can subscribe to?
-Russian Proverb
Old 01-12-2006, 12:38 PM

Majesty is a good one. www.majestymagazine.com

I have it on a subscription which works out a tad cheaper than buying it in the shops, most of which have to order it in for you and slap on a charge for doing so. I have it delievered and it's good for photographs.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Courtier

Hi....

http://www.royalty-magazine.com

The magazine is good too... great read and history of royal family in the past...
Old 01-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Administrator

In regards to Royalty magazine in my opinion, I don't like the new angle that they are going for. If its called Royalty magazine..why am I seeing pics of celebrities who are not with royalty. They do have a great historical section though.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The one I like best is Point de Vue, its the only one with the occassional story on non-reigning royals as well..
Old 04-25-2006, 03:10 AM
Heir Apparent

which is the most (and least) reliable royalty magazine?

Hi I want to know what do you think about royalty magazines? which ones are "serious" and which ones are pure garbage.

To me amongst the good ones are: Hola!, Diez Minutos, Hello, Point de Vue, Lecturas
The bad ones are all those german magazines that keep on changing people's clothes' color, I don't even waste my time trying to learn their names

I want to know your opinions on this, my fellow TRF members
Old 04-25-2006, 07:08 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Majesty is pretty good....from the one copy I have that is about 2 months old, but it is pretty good
Old 05-12-2006, 07:49 AM
Gentry

Every now and then, Vanity Fair (US) magazine will have an interesting article on the Royals. They did a whole issue about a year and a half ago with Prince William on the cover and they covered many Royals. It was mainly profiles but gorgeous pictures. I have also bought several Australian magazines that have good Royal articles. I believe they were New Woman and (?) I'm forgetting the other one, sorry. I am also frustrated with Royalty magazine and their coverage of non-royals. Being in the states, it is VERY hard to find things on Royalty, particularly the non-British families. Royalty magazine has also gotten in the habit of showing 'World' news pictures which are not Royal-related, either. I do like Majesty but here again, not many articles on the non-British. I know the internet is wonderful for seeing photos but some of us like a good, old fashioned read and I also like making photo albums/scrapbooks with articles.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Aristocracy

royalty pages

nice royalty pages

http://worldroots.com/brigitte/royal/royal00.htm

http://www.royalportraits.nl/

http://www.royalpress.nl/

http://www.pointdevue.fr/contenu/fr/default.php?rb=1
Old 05-14-2006, 02:57 AM
Aristocracy

I am quite disgusted with The Royality magazine for the following reasons:

1. The Mag is deteriating into a film star mag i.e. Angel. Jolie on last cover, even thought it was QEII 80th birthday.

They are the worse company I have ever done business with. A 12 month subscription extended to 22 months before all 12 issues were received.
There was a gap of 5 months with nothing printed.

They are loathe to answer email, letters, aerograms. I felt I would have to fly to London to get answers.

I am seriously thinking of not renewing my subscription, as the content has drastically reduced about Royalty.

I think they should change the name of the magazine.

Signed HRH