The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Nobility

Cool

Alright, thanks for this information -- Shame that we don't hear more about overseas Royals, apart from the British ones, here in the States.
Well, Worldroots' Royal pages are never updated! I haven't seen the site kept up to date in three years, have you? The parts devoted to the late Prince Rainier's grandkids isn't kept up, that's for sure.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Aristocracy

Sweden Royal Magazine New Issue QUEEN Queen, ny tidning, kungligheter, kungafamiljen, Victoria, Madeleine, Carl Philip, Silvia, Carl Gustaf - Queen

Old 12-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by attaininggrace View Post
This is probably a silly question but Point de Vue is in French, isn't it? How easy would it be to understand for someone who speaks hardly any French?

Regards,
Lisa
Yes it is all in French. However, if you are interested in royalty, Point de Vue is having fewer and fewer articles about the royals and more about celebrities. The Sarkozy's/Sarkozys/Bruni clan have more or less monopolized the majority of the articles since the election.
A few years ago the wedding in Belgium and Greece would have been covered over a few issues. Nowdays they only have a small picture and a summary. I doubt I will renew my subscription.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Abigail View Post
Alright, thanks for this information -- Shame that we don't hear more about overseas Royals, apart from the British ones, here in the States.

Well, Worldroots' Royal pages are never updated! I haven't seen the site kept up to date in three years, have you? The parts devoted to the late Prince Rainier's grandkids isn't kept up, that's for sure.
Worldroots hasn't been working like it should be for a couple of months now. If you go click on the photos to view them, it says there's been an error.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Yes it is all in French. However, if you are interested in royalty, Point de Vue is having fewer and fewer articles about the royals and more about celebrities. The Sarkozy's/Sarkozys/Bruni clan have more or less monopolized the majority of the articles since the election.
A few years ago the wedding in Belgium and Greece would have been covered over a few issues. Nowdays they only have a small picture and a summary. I doubt I will renew my subscription.
Indeed!I was deeply disappointed when Point de Vue changed practically its point of view and instead of writing about royals, the majority of its articles focused on celebrities and Carla, Carla and celebrities. We had already manyyyyy..... magazines dealing with celebrities, now we have another one...
Old 12-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmeleia View Post
Indeed!I was deeply disappointed when Point de Vue changed practically its point of view and instead of writing about royals, the majority of its articles focused on celebrities and Carla, Carla and celebrities. We had already manyyyyy..... magazines dealing with celebrities, now we have another one...

They were voted the best "people" magazine so they are trying to live up to their reputation. I was looking on the web to see one of the latest issues. The wedding in Belgium was a small image on the cover while a ring one of the French ministers is wearing and if it may or may not mean something took the whole cover. (Can't wait till that issue arrives)
Old 12-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The old Point de Vue is dead basically. They still have a few good journalists who try and who certainly have interesting articles but it gets overshadowed by Carla Sarkozy, Cecilia ex-Sarkozy, Sarkozy's son, Sarkozy's mother, Sarkozy's dog and if they go on a this rate soon by Sarkozy's cleaning lady.

In my own country the popularity of (monthly) royalty magazines is growing though, mainly 'what are they wearing' and 'the 7-year itch for WA & Maxima?' kind of stuff though. Even the most serious royalty magazine 'Vorsten Royale' has been cutting down on Non-Reigning royals and focusses on the Maxima-effect for a large part.

There is the Belgian magazine 'Royals' that appears monthly, with lots of pictures. They appear in german, Dutch and French I believe. Still personally I find the quality of the images they use not that good.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is such a pity Marengo. I remember the old PdV. I could read about current events, history even recipes.
Nowdays the only part that is of great interest are the little glimpses about the Royal happenings and the current auction prices........since I can never finish the Sudoku puzzles........

7 year itch?? Hope all is well in paradise.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Courtier

I have old copies of Point de Vue from years back and they are wonderful.
But now, it is like a completely different magazine - totally devoted to the Sarkozys and that ilk.
Every once in a while, P de V will do a special issue - like the 60th anniversay issue which they did several years ago and those issues are well worth the money.
Hello magazine is worth the cost when it covers something like the Peter Phillips wedding as there are pages and pages of good photos.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

I had every single issue since Feb 1976. Then I decided one day to make room and got rid of all of them except for some very special issues. Now I am back again hoarding 2 years worth of them. I would have loved it if something like the old PdV format comes along again.
I check Royalty and Majesty at the local bookstore once in a while for something new but it is not the same.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamk View Post
I have old copies of Point de Vue from years back and they are wonderful.
But now, it is like a completely different magazine - totally devoted to the Sarkozys and that ilk.
I'm very disappointed by Point de vue now. I don't buy it any more.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
I had every single issue since Feb 1976.
Wow, I'm impressed! I had every issue since Sept 1989, with my own index book (obsessive, yes, but very useful ). Then I went through each copy and took out what I wanted for my files. As I worked my way through it became obvious the focus of the magazine had changed dramatically with the later issues having less and less content of interest. I stopped buying PdeV in September 2007 when one cover story too many on Cécilia Sarzoky confirmed that I was over it.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I stopped buying PdeV in September 2007 when one cover story too many on Cécilia Sarzoky confirmed that I was over it.
One more cover story on Cecilia Sarkozy this week!
Cover Point de Vue - week from 16 to 23 December 2008
Old 12-18-2008, 07:41 AM
Majesty
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – Jordan

Hola mag had very nice pics.
I´ve Hola, PdV, Semana and Hello old mags since 1970.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Courtier

Pardon my ignorance, but, who is Carla/Cecilia Sarkozy????
Old 12-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Nobility

Cecilia Sarkozy is ex-wife of Nicolas Sarkozy.(He is the President of French Republic)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Sarkozy

Carla is his wife now. Carla Bruni Sarkozy.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Wow, I'm impressed! I had every issue since Sept 1989, with my own index book (obsessive, yes, but very useful ). Then I went through each copy and took out what I wanted for my files. As I worked my way through it became obvious the focus of the magazine had changed dramatically with the later issues having less and less content of interest. I stopped buying PdeV in September 2007 when one cover story too many on Cécilia Sarzoky confirmed that I was over it.
Those where the heady days when PdV would devote reams of paper over the announcement of the Silvia /CG engagement and then go on with details about where she shopped what she bought, who designed it. We went on to the preparations of the marriage and then speculations about whether she was pregnant in July or August till December when it was finally announced and Poor Prince Bertil could finally marry Lillian.......
My favourite pages were those devoted to comparing the ancestry of each of the various brides and grooms to be. I saved very few issues. I should have kept those and toss the new ones...I can still not kick the habit......Hopefully by the end of this subscription round I will be cured!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Nobility

Hello magazine

As a regular reader of the website of Hello Magazine for many years I have recently begun to wonder if they have reduced articles concerning the royal persons. I think there are more celebrity and states men articles than royalties. The overall impression is that the articles are shorter, too, than before. What do you think? Is there a commonly known reason for that or is it just that anything of "great interest" hasn't taken place in royal circles for a while? Do they still have the royal articles in the Hello paper version?
Old 01-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Nobility

FWIW, Point de Vue is now available through Zinio.com as an electronic magazine. Hello, Hola, and others are also available through that site.

The French site Toute la presse magazine en téléchargement !*Relay also has Point de Vue, as well as Paris Match and other French-language magazines.

I've used both sites for years, and I prefer Zinio, although Relay is perfectly good. Since I'm in the United States, I have to pay for a foreign transaction fee on my credit card when I order through Relay, which I don't for Zinio. Zinio also allows both downloadable and online viewing.

kal
Old 01-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

And I find today's celebrities so uninteresting ... although I can say that of many young royals too.