The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Commoner

Books on Royalty are needed in Russia

I live in Russia still somewhat pro-Communist country. Royal books are quite unavailable here.
I'd appreciate if anybody could send me any books on royalty (Almanach Gota, on the Bourbons, the Bonapartes, the Habsburgs, the

Old 03-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Aristocracy

Picture books

Can anyone recommended any good books about the roamnovs that are either completly picture or otherwise has a vast amount of photos?

Old 03-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Nobility

The Camera and the Tsars by Charlotte Zeepvat, if you don't have it already, is excellent. Not only does it cover Nicholas II, Alix and their children, it also has many of the lesser known branches of the Romanov family. It's basically all pictures. :)
Old 03-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Nobility

I just had a look on Amazon, and there are two other books that might have some nice pictures: Tsar: The Lost World of Nicholas and Alexandra (but it does have a lot of writing too) by Peter Kurth; and The Court of the Last Tsar: Pomp, Power and Pageantry in the Reign of Nicholas II byGreg King. Zeepvat's book is probably your best bet for photos of the Romanovs themselves, though.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think I looked through Tsar:The Lost World of Nicholas and Alexandra. It has a pic of the emporers bum. Apparently he liked to swim in the nude on his vacations.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:16 PM
Courtier

Romanov books

Does anyone have any info about any good Romanov books?
Cause' I really have no idea
Old 03-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Courtier

I read one a few time ago called The Kitchen Boy it's about the last days os the Imperial Family it's was a really interesting book based on veridic facts but the novel was made up but it was fine to imagine what could had really happen in those final days of their lifes
Old 03-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Nobility

"The Camera and the Tsars" is very nice. It's a photo book about the whole Romanov Family. Very nice especially for people who are not just interested in NAOTMAA.

"Looking back on her short life I often wonder why we did not see that she was quite too good for this world, her fit companions were the Angels." ~Margaretta Eager about Princess Elisabeth of Hesse (1895-1903)
Old 03-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Courtier

i don't know any book of the romanov..... you can find at...... look the title.. i hope that help you.. smile...

http://www.majestymagazine.com/shop/php

http://www.royalty-magazine.com/store/
Old 03-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Courtier

Thanks! that really help
Old 03-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by photofan
Thanks! that really help
you are welcome.....:)
Old 03-17-2006, 12:50 AM
Aristocracy

Since the Kitchen Boy was mentioned, the authors' new book called Rasputin's Daughter is now available. I read it and it was very interesting.

It is a fictionalized account of the oldest daughter of Rasputin and life in the Romanov court in about 1913- 1918.

Linda 85
Old 03-17-2006, 01:36 AM
Aristocracy

What kind of book are you looking for? Do you just want information on Nicky and Alexandra? The book by Robert Massie "Nicholas and Alexandra" is a good one to start.

Then there are the bios on Nicky by Edvard Razinsky (Sp?) and Alex by Greg King. You could also try The Fate of the Romanovs by Greg King which goes into excruciating detail about their last days and how they died.

There is a really good book about Minnie, Nicky's mother called Little Mother of Russia by Coryne Hall (I think).

None of these are fiction but hopefully this will help you to start! Also, there is a new book coming out this month that you can check on at amazon, its by Greg King and I think its called "The Court of the last Tsar." Its a big picture book about the various palaces and fun stuff like that.

And I just remembered, if you want a picture book of the Romanovs, Prince Nicholas of Greece has a awesome!! book with family pictures. This one is really hard to find, I have found it on the Internet for thousands of dollars, which is a little much for me! I just wish the library would find its copy that it LOST.

Hopes this helps!
Old 03-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Courtier

thanks Tenngirl, but i'm looking for a book with information, their lifes and pictures about OTMA and Tsar Nicholas and Tsarina Alexandra..
Old 03-25-2006, 12:10 AM
Gentry

To start, Nicholas and Alexandra by Massie, which covers the basics and is written as a romance novel but really isn't.

Anastasia's Album by Hugh Brewster which has many pictures mostly of OTMA, it's a children's book but a gem.

Nicholas and Alexandra: The Family Albums by Prince Michael of Greece is my all time favorite Romanov book, it's all RARE pictures and gives such a clear view into the IF's private lives. This book is out of print and pretty expensive. I got mine for just over $100 which is as cheap as it comes right now.

If you want to read about Anna Anderson, don't get the Lovell book, get the Kurth book. Lovell writes as if it's a given that she is Anastasia and Kurth explores the possibilities.

Another "book" I like is the Nicholas and Alexandra: The Last Imperial Family of Tsarist Russia exhibit catalogue. It's got lots of photos of their stuff and them and background on each. I learned a lot and it gave me a better idea of how they lived.

Fate of the Romanovs by King and Wilson is extremely good but it only covers from about 1914 and a lot of it deals with what happened after the executions. Still if you want the whole story, read it.

Tsar by Peter Kurth has many photos of the palaces (then and now) plus a bunch of photos of the Imperial Family, but most of the photos are online so if you are familiar with Romanov websites nothing but the palaces will be new to you.

I feel like there are more I'm missing, if I remember I'll post later.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:57 AM
Courtier

Oh thanks! I think Anastasia's Album by Hugh Brewster but it really is a childish very kiddie children book? or how? and what's a gem and IF's?
Old 03-25-2006, 12:58 AM
Courtier

And I also need that come written in spanish too.. but I don't know if they make those.. :(
Old 03-25-2006, 10:12 AM
Nobility

I don't know of any spanish books.
When she writes IF Ritka means Imperial Family.
I think Anastasia's Album is nice, it's a children's book but it has many photographs.

"Looking back on her short life I often wonder why we did not see that she was quite too good for this world, her fit companions were the Angels." ~Margaretta Eager about Princess Elisabeth of Hesse (1895-1903)
Old 03-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Courtier

But what do you mean with children book? do you men it's just for small children or a adult/teen can read it too?

And where's available?
Old 03-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Courtier

And what books have you read about Romanovs? wich one can you recomend me?

Tags
anna anderson, franziska shanzkowska, greg king, penny wilson