The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-24-2004, 04:43 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by maryshawn@Jul 21st, 2004 - 11:00 pm
Does anyone know anything about a book called "Queen Noor: Chosen By a King" by auther Suzanne Finstad? In a law journal in 2000 and a "People" magazine article it mentions there is such a book and the law journal says it is to be made into a mini-series by CBS TV.......I have looked everywhere and can't find it. Any ideas on how to refine my search or contact the author for an update? I think, although described as authorized, this book might contain more information....anyway its worth a shot, right?

Thanks.
Have you googled it? Google's great

Old 07-24-2004, 04:48 PM
Aristocracy

Mary Shawn...

I undertook a brief search for info on Suzanne Finstad's book. I couldn't find any record of this book in the Library of Congress files, nor could I find any mention of it when I did an ISBN search. The mention of the book in the "law journal" was actually alumni news for the University of Houston from fall 2001. It could be that this book was written, but not published. Authors sometimes get TV options even before their books are completed. You might want to try contacting Random House/Three River Press, her publisher, or you might take a shot at contacting her directly.....she lives in Los Angeles and there is a google listing available. :flower:

Good Luck!

Old 07-24-2004, 08:51 PM
Serene Highness

One of the most interesting and revealing portions of the book is who she gives credit to giving information and who didn't participate.......
Old 07-24-2004, 08:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by maryshawn@Jul 24th, 2004 - 7:51 pm
One of the most interesting and revealing portions of the book is who she gives credit to giving information and who didn't participate.......
I agree with you, Mary Shawn. It's very telling.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:42 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks to all for your help. I think I need to find a way to contact the author directly.....and then I'll let you all know.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Aristocracy

IMO, I did not like the book at all. It bothered me that Queen Noor when on and on about when she has a kid she had so much respect for her heritage. Like most kids, living in America, her knowledge for her background would have been limited. I found that all it did was tell readers how great Jordan and the rest of the mid-east is. I am not going to get into the polictics of the book. However, I do think the book was edited to make the King and the Jordan royal family look really good. IMO, the book seem so edited and I would have liked to have read something more balanced.
BTW, I do not wish to affend anyone...I am just giving my opinion of my book
Old 08-06-2005, 04:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
Thanks to all for your help. I think I need to find a way to contact the author directly.....and then I'll let you all know.
have you gotten any news on this book
Old 07-12-2006, 07:35 AM
Nobility

Iv got her book (Leap of faith) and have read it several times, she did have a difficult relationship with her father and maybe like others have mentioned she was looking for someone who was passionate and loving and caring, Queen Noor did say she found all of those things in KH and she loved him tremdously

Also the ending of her book is very powerful the way shes calling her late husband (my love) is so amazing.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nad25
Iv got her book (Leap of faith) and have read it several times, she did have a difficult relationship with her father and maybe like others have mentioned she was looking for someone who was passionate and loving and caring, Queen Noor did say she found all of those things in KH and she loved him tremdously

Also the ending of her book is very powerful the way shes calling her late husband (my love) is so amazing.
I loved the postscript where she says in a letter to her late husband that when they see one another again "oh, the adventures I shall have to tell you." Or something along those lines. It was poignantly written and very, very touching!

In many ways, having read her book several times, I felt QN tried again and again to cultivate a closer relationship with her father by becoming engaged in his interests, like flying and sports and the ME, but never felt it was quite enough to earn his full approval. That is so sad. But she also wrote after her father's death that during his final year, they found peace with one another--so I guess that's something. All of his children tried to "ape" his interests--Alexa became a lawyer and Christian a businessman, yet their father seemed to remain distant for the most part. But perhaps that was his lesson to them--do your own thing, do what makes you happy......--and, by the end, they seemed to have gotten it as Alexa practices less, Christian has focused more on music and QN is finding areas of interest which have nothing to do with her father but more to do with her own personality--women's rights, landmines, things like the Jerash Festival,......
Old 11-04-2006, 07:46 AM
Heir Apparent

oh, i'm quite disappointed about your views. i just ordered the book, and from what you explain, it's not as appealing as i thought it would have been. but again, i need to judge it for myself although i'm slightly put off about it :)

i can't wait for the book to arrive :)
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 11-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Courtier

Wow,I should buy it too, I never knew that QNoor had a miscarriage, does anyone know when, and if KHussein really had an affair?????
Old 11-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Nobility

This is what I liked about the book

1. The note he wrote to her on their 10th wedding anniversary.
2. Her candid account of their honeymoon in Scotland.
3. Her obvious dedication to Jordan and woman's issues.

This what I didn't like
1. KH dismissal of her after her miscarriage
2. QN stating she admired the ME lifestyle of the large extended family under one roof yet seemed to prefer the more "Western" idea of family life. Meaning herself, her husband and only THEIR children in a home. Not his children from previous marriages.
3. The placement of her husband on a pedestal.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Nobility

Books about Queen Noor of Jordan

New books about Queen Noor that are very interesting:

“Queen Noor: American-born Queen of Jordan”
By Lucia Raatma

“A Leap of Faith”
By Queen of Jordan Noor

Old 01-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

It's the first time I hear about L.Raatma's book. I'm not sure if I can find it, but I'll definitely try.

Now, judging by "Leap of Faith", Q.Noor seems a very private and discreet person. Forgive me for being pessimistic here, but I don't think we will ever learn more about her private life with the late King. Her children seem way more private- especially Hashem and the girls. I just don't think they will ever write memoirs or publish anecdotes etc.