The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-16-2007, 07:01 AM
Courtier

Given the official Royal Statement, I don't think its approved but does the Royal Family have the legal status to have it actually banned?

Old 02-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Japan publisher cancels plan to print princess book

Japan publisher cancels plan to print princess book. 16/02/2007. ABC News Online

Old 02-17-2007, 03:12 AM
Courtier

Well, someone said boo and thus it was undone.

It reads as if they're nickpicking over original errors (which have since been corrected in new printings) and demanding no printing because the author won't apologise for them.

Ahhh, royal pride.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:19 AM
Serene Highness

It's sad this book publishing was cancelled in Japan. Even if book has some errors, I think people in Japan might be interested in it.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 02-17-2007, 04:43 AM
Courtier

It will probably becoming one of the hot underground reads over there.

I shouldn't be surprised at it getting an eventual printing in some form.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

If Japanese people who can read English are interested in the book, I assume they'll be able to order it from Amazon in the USA or the UK.

I wonder how the Queen feels about the power of the imperial family and their top advisers to put the brakes on publication of something they don't happen to approve of. Must be quite jealous, considering what's been going on in the British press for the last couple of decades.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

I have to wonder how Princess Masako feels about this book and whether it will make things worse.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Aristocracy

After many people read this book, without a doubt Masako could actually gain some leverage. Never underestimate the power of the people; I imagine that the Imperial Family would come under more scrutiny and by default, the IHA. It might actually cause the public to challenge the IHA and demand more tranparency in the way that the Royal Family conducts its business and lives its life. Even if the Japanese don't care, (which I believe they do) there is a world out there that will want to know why such outrages are allowed to occur.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Masako author slams Japan publisher
Masako author slams Japan publisher - CNN.com
Old 02-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Nobility

If you live in the UK you can buy the book from AbeBooks: New Books, Secondhand Books, Rare Books, Out-of-Print Books

Or amazon - Amazon.co.uk: princess masako: Books Its in hardback for £11.98

I'm waiting for the paperback to come out - i cannot wait to read it.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Author says attempts to ban Japan royal book have backfired

The Australian author of a controversial book about Japan's royal family acknowledged that Tokyo's attempts to censor his work had backfired spectacularly and made it more popular than Harry Potter.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:53 AM
Courtier

Sad thing is, the lesson will not be learned.

Any new book that is unauthorized by the Japanese Royal Family will always have an attempt to crush it---which will automatically result in its popularity.

:eyeroll:
Old 02-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Commoner

I just got the book and I can't wait to start it!
Old 02-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Courtier

Dear Buggs, and Members,

Do let the rest of us know how the thing is. I think that letter from the Grand Chamberlain or what ever-does sound like Gilbert and Sullivan, now doesn't it??-was hilarious. "What do you mean that his Imperial Majesty has never visited a leper colony???" How dare you. He has visited NINE and here are the dates. And of course he is significant. Here is what he has done."

In the meantime the brutality and sheer stupidity of the arrogant recta running the Imperial Household is of course hidden behind these attempts to "protect" the Emperor, never mind the poor princess or her husband in his humiliated helplessnes. What has been done to the poor princess and quite probably prevented a situation where she would bear more children is not even mentioned. What they are really trying to protect is the IHA or as we say in vulgar US OF A, CYA. Cheers.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Aristocracy

I sometimes wonder if this could be considered a Human Rights violation.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Serene Highness

Author cashes in on Japanese royalty from Guardian Unlimited: News blog
*quote from link
*His unforgiving treatment of the royal household and the ensuing furore have made Princess Masako: Prisoner of the Chrysanthemum Throne the best-selling foreign-language book on Amazon Japan.
Hills said the imperial household agency's complaints had backfired by giving his book "a billion dollars worth of free publicity".
i am so loving this
i made our local news in the middle of nowhere TX,its their worst nightmare the whole world knowing how evil the IHA is hope masako getting a good laugh out of their discomfort and the distain the world has of them because they are bullies and have tried to break a smart young womans spirit and personality. wish they all would commit hari kari (spelling) for bring dishonor to the throne. that would be fun to watch on utube.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi
It's sad this book publishing was cancelled in Japan. Even if book has some errors, I think people in Japan might be interested in it.
It's not surprising, it's like what they did to their history books, they carefully edited the negative participation they had during the World War II..

Old 02-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Courtier

It is said that history is written by the winners.

But history never met an unofficial biographer!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I haven't read the book but would you say that the author chose a deliberately provocative title?

Prisoner - that word has a heavily charged meaning which I'm sure was intended.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
I bought the book today and started reading it. Its an interesting book, so far. I'm only into their childhoods right now. One thing that is kind of a turn off is that they keep comparing Masako & Naruhito with Diana & Charles. That was in the 1st chapter. Since then they haven't said anything (but as I said I'm still on their childhood).
Its an easy read

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series